Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum …with a blunt knife – The Fanedits Thread

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Well, we have a thread about fanfics and fan films, so I figured this was the next logical step for topics of conversation – re-editing existing episodes.

And there’s been plenty of those over the years. Mostly of Back in the Red, curiously enough (and not just KT’s either). I think someone on here talked about an extended version of Holoship that utterly killed the pacing, and I know a guy who cut all the Coronation Street scenes out of Back to Earth.

Well anyway, there’s plenty of existing edits to talk about, and I’m sure a fair few of you have some ideas of your own, so I’m not going to go on another rambling first post.

I’ll save that for later ;)

somecallmejames
    Participant

Here’s the Back to Earth edit: https://vimeo.com/281190452

Yep, that’s the one.

somecallmejames
    Participant

I’m thinking of doing edits of series 7 to get rid of as much of the terrible CGI as possible and replace them with model shots (both unsued from series 7 and previous series’s).

Stilianides
    Participant

There was a fan edit of the first episode of Back to Earth when it was originally broadcast. It was (understandably) swiftly pulled from Youtube, but I thought it was superior to the official version.

I remember that the Jane Austen scene was became a pre-credits moment and a lot of flannel was cut.

That sounds like an awesome edit. Shame it wasn’t mirrored on Vimeo or Dailymotion.

Unrumble
    Participant

Knocked this up on my phone in 5 mins…

Series VIII REDUX https://vimeo.com/663365166

I had a post I wanted to make but I lost it when I tried posting for reasons I don’t want to get into, and I can’t be bothered to write it out again. Just wanted to put that out there.

Moonlight
    Participant

Mostly of Back in the Red, curiously enough (and not just KT’s either)

As a convicted and registered KT, I’ll just point out that Back in the Red’s insanelyt over-padded nature plus having a reasonable amount of good material outside that makes it the ideal candidate for a fan-edit. But the plot still makes no fucking sense. I consider my fanedit decently watchable, which I can’t say about the original Extended version or vanilla episodes. Pete meanwhile, what do you hope to gain by cutting that down to its “best” bits?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I had a post I wanted to make but I lost it when I tried posting for reasons I don’t want to get into, and I can’t be bothered to write it out again. Just wanted to put that out there.

For the record I checked the logs to see if the comment was stashed somewhere and it wasn’t. But I tried.

For the record I checked the logs to see if the comment was stashed somewhere and it wasn’t. But I tried.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Pete meanwhile, what do you hope to gain by cutting that down to its “best” bits?

An approximation of a decent episode in which to place around arguably one of the best physical gags of any post-Grant series?

Moonlight
    Participant

An approximation of a decent episode in which to place around arguably one of the best physical gags of any post-Grant series?

I don’t think you can get that out of Pete, no matter how good that one bit is by itself.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Request – a fan-edit of Series VIII which makes the following changes:

– Edit out all times it’s confirmed in ‘Krytie TV’ that Kill Crazy reprogrammed Kryten, so it’s now just an assumption.

– Edit in Kryten saying “You’ve been Krytered!” at the end of ‘Only The Good…’, revealing that the whole of Series VIII has in fact been a longwinded prank by Kryten, which he started planning way back when Lister failed to fully re-enable his guilt chip at the end of ‘Tikka to Ride’.

Dave
    Participant

Flap Jack
    Participant

@ quinn_drummer, Dave

… On second thought, maybe that post I was going to write can wait after all.

I swear this site just doesn’t want me to post about my edit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqCachl1N50&feature=youtu.be
    I can’t embed the trailer so maybe, just maybe, it’ll let me post the link.
    EDIT: Okay. Good. At last. So, the short, short, short version – VIII movie but better, probably too long but feedback says it works really well. I’ll tell you about it later.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

lol, I promise this isn’t personal. I thought I’d fixed the iframe embedding, but I’ll sort it for your post now.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Well, you certainly have my interest, Future Producer!

I can only assume that Wordfence just auto-blocks people trying to post Red Dwarf VIII. It would be understandable.

lol, I promise this isn’t personal. I thought I’d fixed the iframe embedding, but I’ll sort it for your post now.

Thanks again lol. I figured it wasn’t but it’s just so weird that both occasions was me trying to post about that haha.

Well, you certainly have my interest, Future Producer!

Great, thanks! Glad to hear it :D

I can only assume that Wordfence just auto-blocks people trying to post Red Dwarf VIII. It would be understandable.

lmao so true

I was browsing some older forum posts while I was on break earlier and I saw something that got me rather rattled. It seems that not only was there previously another thread about fanedits that escaped my attempts to check if there had already been such a thread previously (either I just checked a few pages on the forum and assumed it wasn’t there, or it didn’t show up when I searched for it), and not only was the idea of a feature-length fanedit of VIII (and even VII) previously discussed, but the jammy goit managed to get it down to 75 minutes. I can’t even compare it to mine to see which one works best because there’s no working links left and McD (not his real username) hasn’t been active in 5 years. What a tease!

Moonlight
    Participant

To be fair you can get anything down to length if you’re willing to give up creative integrity.

I’ll let you know when that happens.
    Meanwhile, I think 95 minutes is a pretty decent running time for mine, and having been able to see his edit myself thanks to someone having a copy to hand, I can safely say that the decreased running time definitely doesn’t make it a superior edit, because mine isn’t cropped to 16:9, doesn’t cut out the actually decent B-plot of Krytie TV while retaining the A-plot that everybody hates (which I on the other hand managed to do even in the earliest 110-minute version), doesn’t have any Pencil Dwarf, and isn’t a selection of truncated episodes blithely cobbled together with no regard for pacing, structure, or common sense. And also, I actually take the time to make cuts less obtrusive by editing the audio so that laughter doesn’t suddenly stop or start with a very noticeable cut. The only good thing I can say about it is the way he went about cutting down Cassandra’s introduction by having her talk over the characters, which was something I pinched as soon as I saw it and I’ll be sure to credit him for it as soon as the IFDb application goes through.
    For my part, I personally consider it functionally complete but apparently the submission reviewer doesn’t agree so there will probably be a few more updates before a truly ‘final’ version is released.
    One of the things I did was set the Manny Celeste sequences from Pete Part 1 on the Silverberg from Cassandra to save time. Apparently this is too abrupt a cut and one of the four (now two) reasons why the submission process is being delayed, but you tell me how am I gonna better segue into the Cassandra scenes when the material I’d need for a better build up Literally Does Not Exist? I’m not complaining, I’ve got a lot of respect for the guy and I understand where he’s coming from, and I’m certainly not in any hurry to get it listed, but I just don’t think there’s any way of doing what he’s asking me to do.
    <video controls=”” src=”https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/826807698703908935/914575326334558269/Editor3.mp4&#8243; width=”640″ height=”360″ class=”note-video-clip”></video>
    I think anyone would be interested to read the full cutlist but I’d rather not post it until I actually stop working on it. Any beta watchers, please apply to my Discord (not posted here, but if you’re interested enough you can probably figure out how to find it without even leaving this site).
    EDIT: The video embedded perfectly in the editor, I don’t know why it didn’t work when I posted it. Should still be watchable though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.