Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Cassandra is not shit

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Sofajockey
    Participant

Today I did an experiment. As we all know series 8 is a bit of a steaming turd. However I have always thought Cassandra was the jewel in the doo-doo. I think it’s a good episode. My wife thoroughly enjoyed series 2 – 6, thought 7 was shit, and she didn’t laugh once during any of the Dave-era episodes. In fact several times she actually left the room whilst we were watching them. So tonight I put on Cassandra. She laughed 6 times. Ergo, Cassandra is a good episode. Thoughts?

Dave
    Participant

Cassandra is the best episode of series VIII.

Make of that what you will.

In fact several times she actually left the room whilst we were watching them.

Probably cheating on you mate.

MANI506
    Participant

Do I ever find my singing tie pin, your station is Git Central – classic.

From the moment Rimmer and Kochanski are trapped together it kind of nose dives.

Sofajockey
    Participant

She was only in the kitchen…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Literal first images/thoughts that come into my head when I think about Cassandra:

* The godawful Canary costumes, and the fact that Craig Charles’ doesn’t even seem to fit in his. I don’t know what was up with Howard Burden in VIII, but the costumes that series are awful.

* Kochanski gets a couple of good lines.

* The lighting is shit too. The show looks ugly.

* Geraldine McEwan was in Red Dwarf. Amazing.

* Geraldine McEwan is now dead. That’s sad.

* Why did they namecheck Future Echoes earlier in the series, if they were going to rip it off?

* I momentarily confused the bit in Cassandra where they all walk around, shielding Rimmer for the bit in DNA where Kryten walks in front/behind of Rimmer. I momentarily thought this was a good bit in Cassandra. I was wrong.

* Let’s watch DNA. Or Future Echoes.

Flap Jack
    Participant

In relative, Series VIII terms, Cassandra is pretty decent. In more absolute, Red Dwarf terms, well… Kryten may have figured it out, but I’m still struggling.

tombow
    Participant

I think to me series X-XII is the equivalent of Metallica’s “Death Magnetic” or Black Sabbath’s “13” albums. The classic/generic pieces are all in place – it should make me feel like a kid again – but despite moments of brilliance it all feels a little hollow. VIII is more like Sabbath’s Forbidden or Metallica’s St Anger. BTE is the Reunion live album or Garage Inc. They’re back but with a few unusual moments.

RealBigOleDummy
    Participant

Well, I’m in a definite minority here it seems as I really liked Casandra. My opinion on most of Red Dwarf may be a little skewed though I must admit. Series XI is the ONLY series I’ve watched “live” as it were, as it was broadcast the first time. Series 1 I saw for the first time a …. well, I caught a few episodes when it was shown on PBS (which is what made me a fan btw) and I special ordered it as that was the only way I could own it at the time ($60 too!) For XI I got BritBox for the duration. All other series I bought sight unseen and the majority of them before I even knew or looked for a website tbh. I still haven’t seen The Promised Land either. I will be ordering the DVD friday and am eagerly looking forward to it.

Anyway, my point being, not having ready access to 99.5% of Red Dwarf as “new” each series has been a treat to get and view when I was able. Yes, even the much hated series VIII and BTE are bits of joy in my life even now. As good as others? Definitely not, but being starved for RD for so long and being able to dine on its courses later than most and with far more time between servings I look at each as dessert I guess. Something sweet and looked forward to.

It has a better plot and more good jokes than the other episodes in VIII. With a bit of tinkering, removal of the rapey bit, Kryten not randomly figuring it out on no evidence at all, and minus the horrible visual aspects of VIII, it would be a bottom-of-the-36 episode but reasonable.

Unrumble
    Participant

She was only in the kitchen…

She was only away 2 minutes?

Flap Jack
    Participant

The best aspect of Cassandra is that Cassandra herself seems to be aware that she’s in Red Dwarf Series VIII and reacts with appropriate exasperation.

Lmfao you’re so right Jack

Katydid
    Participant

Cassandra is not shit

Yes it is.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Yes it is.

No it isn’t.

Dave
    Participant

I agree

OBJECTION!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Every time I check on this thread

Dax101
    Participant

Cassandra isn’t shit. Kryten worked it out.

Yaron Ru
    Participant

There was a lot of potential in a lot of VIII that was ruined by stupid stories, slapstick and poor jokes. A lot of it (Pete aside) could have been salvaged if someone had been on hand to say NO to a few things, and rewrite a few others. We had the crew back, we had Norman back, we had the ship back, and the budget wasn’t exactly S1 and S2 poor at this point. IMO Cassandra is the best episode, but if more time, effort and rewriting had gone into BITR and Only The Good, they could have been classics. They had all the parts of a Tripple Fried Egg Chilli Chutney Sandwich and they ended up with vomit.

RunawayTrain
    Participant

There was a lot of potential in a lot of VIII that was ruined by stupid stories, slapstick and poor jokes. A lot of it (Pete aside) could have been salvaged if someone had been on hand to say NO to a few things, and rewrite a few others. We had the crew back, we had Norman back, we had the ship back, and the budget wasn’t exactly S1 and S2 poor at this point. IMO Cassandra is the best episode, but if more time, effort and rewriting had gone into BITR and Only The Good, they could have been classics. They had all the parts of a Tripple Fried Egg Chilli Chutney Sandwich and they ended up with vomit.

Honestly I think this is the most annoying thing about VIII. All that wasted potential.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.