Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Charlie Brooker’s Screenwipe Series 4 begins tonight.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I love this show.

BBC Four.

10:30pm.

That is all.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Aw shit, in crappy Luxembourg. Presumably this is repeated?

Andrew
    Participant

> Presumably this is repeated?

Hi, welcome to 2008. Here we have electric lighting, mobile phones and the BBC iPlayer.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Ah, some good news at last…

Mnoooah
    Participant

*Skipping around the house while waiting for it to post on youtube.*

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

In the background of the bit where the bloke eats the Wispa, you can see pictures of the contestants from the show I’m working on. That’s right, look impressed.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

May I impress a look?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Fucking hell that was a good episode. The Britannia High segment maybe went on a bit long, but his song had me crying with laughter and I loved the bit with the DOOM music as well. Trust him to do the best bit of commentary on the Ross/Brand saga, as well. And Paul Ross’s Big Black Book of Horror… Jesus Christ. (Actually, that’s another segment that went on a bit long. That was probably my only issue with it – it was made up of longer sections, it felt like, and so there wasn’t as much covered as I would have liked. Still, though, best thing currently on telly.)

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

The Britannia High segment maybe went on a bit long

[Scruffy] Second, [/Scruffy]

Paul Ross?s Big Black Book of Horror… …another segment that went on a bit long.

[Scruffy] Second, [/Scruffy]

best thing currently on telly

[Farnsworth] Oh my yes! [/Farnsworth]

Andrew
    Participant

> Trust him to do the best bit of commentary on the Ross/Brand saga, as well.

Indeed.

> And Paul Ross?s Big Black Book of Horror? Jesus Christ.

I was shocked – shocked I tell you – that there was no Jackanory reference made during this segment.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Oh, and two people I know (Julian and Rachel) didn’t spot this, but the “cameo appearance by the late Heath Ledger” gag had me rolling off my couch.

Rad
    Participant

It was very good. Especially the end credits sequence.

pfm
    Participant

> Trust him to do the best bit of commentary on the Ross/Brand saga, as well

I loved when he said it was ‘draped all over the news like a silly tarpaulin.’ Pure brilliance.

I can’t physically believe that that dream sequence in Britannia High, with the confused letters in the background, was real and not a piss-take. Brooker’s song, ‘Where’s the paper? Where’s the paper?? Where’s the paper?? I need to wipe my…where’s the paper??’ was fucking hilarious. As was him running out of the loo. Glad it’s back on.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Looking forward to next week’s episode.

Mnoooah
    Participant

OMG you guys, some of us haven’t seen it yet. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster
    Mnoooah
    Participant

*lighting cigarette*

aaah.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Could you not have iPlayered it, anyway?

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Don’t be silly. That would take effort.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WHBN-CvCXW4 – Part 1…

Thank you. My interweb connection does not seem to be capable of the delights of iplayer. Stop-start streaming.

Mnoooah
    Participant

Sadly not in the UK, so no Iplayer for me.

The only thing I like more than the Russel/Ross saga is the commentary on the pointlessness of the Russel/Ross saga, so that NOW I’ve just added a layer of complaint on top of THAT. Centuries from now, cultural anthropologists will arrive at my layer and know that after all these years, they’re getting close to the holy grail of petty shitstorms.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

The Britannia High segment maybe went on a bit long, but his song had me crying with laughter

It was indeed excellent. Like someone else said, it was a little hard to believe the CONFUSED bit was real, let alone the toilet paper thing which was just ace.

Oh, and two people I know (Julian and Rachel) didn?t spot this, but the ?cameo appearance by the late Heath Ledger? gag had me rolling off my couch.

Yes! I’m glad you said this as I thought I was going mad :)

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Also, did everyone play “spot the Robert Popper”?

Rad
    Participant

Episode 2 is brilliant. You really have to catch it if you haven’t already.

ChrisM
    Participant

>Episode 2 is brilliant. You really have to catch it if you haven?t already.

I just did on On Demand. (I missed the show when it played.)

It was ok. Some of those ads brought back memories…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

The show is repeated on Fridays at 11pm on BBC Four.

That is, again, all.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Episode 3 was quite good. Writing is something I’m becoming more exposed to while on my uni course and of being part of webgroup that writes articles for various purposes. it’s an interesting little world.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I thought it was great, although slightly disappointing that this was a part of the series, rather than either an hour-long special, or as a separate “Charlie Brooker Interviews Talented People From A Particular Field” series.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I thought it was brilliant. You rarely get a decent look at the writing process on DVD Extras and documentaries, it’s all about Direction and Acting.

As Ian says, though, it wasn’t really “Screenwipe”.

Rad
    Participant

I agree – very worthwhile but not Screen Wipe.

John Hoare
    Participant

Oh, I like the fact they throw up programmes like this occasionally, and entirely break the format. Keeps the show fresh and interesting.

ChrisM
    Participant

I agree.

I’ve done a bit of writing myself (very little so far ;) ) and it was interesting and encouraging to hear professional writers describe similar problems (i.e. procrastination, etc.)

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

it was interesting and encouraging to hear professional writers describe similar problems (i.e. procrastination, etc.)

Aye, it did crop up quite a lot. but Graham Linehan seemed to have the best reasoning for it.

Mnoooah
    Participant

Agreed with most of you I think, that the episode doesn’t fulfill normal expectactions and I was a bit disappointed (or as disappointed as one can be who watches it for free on youtube). But full points for not screwing around with pointless intros or filler for people with short attention spans; we’re here to talk about writing and we’re going to genuinely goddamn do that until the last fucking credit.

I liked the bit about procrastination, but parts of it made me think of something another writer said; ‘writing can be difficult, but it isn’t *really* hard. It’s not like climbing a mountain… good men do not die in the editing process.’ ;)

pfm
    Participant

God I loved this show. What I wouldn’t give to be as good as these guys. When I was attempting to write a sitcom about 5 years ago, while I was still at uni (it was basically like what The Inbetweeners is but with the characters a couple of years older. ‘Off Campus’ it was called (originally ‘Lovely Rita’) and it’s quality matched the shitness of the title) I found that although I was really interested in doing it it just wasn’t coming naturally enough. Probably because I’m about as funny as a 12-hour shift at a Tena Lady factory.

It’s when you hear RTD talk about writing that you realise he doesn’t deserve even an ounce of the constant criticism he gets. That’s my opinion anyway. I thought it was great when he said about co-writing the new Torchwood series (a ‘thriller’ he calls it, which sounds good to me) and he was just reeling off all the details to the other guys. Also how characters just appear in his head as soon as he starts writing them. He has the kind of creative mind that gets things done in a quick and fresh way that was definitely right for Who.

I also have masses of respect for Tony Jordan (Holby Blue and Echo Beach/Moving Wallpaper aside…). From a market trader and the odd episode of Minder to soap’s top writer and Life On Mars. Excellence.

si
    Participant

Got round to watching this last night, and immediately wished I’d recorded it. Marvellous. Interesting that this week’s IT Crowd effectively stemmed from Graham Linehan wanting to see Roy with no shirt on.

RTD is brilliant, and he really knows what he talks about. Or, even if he doesn’t, he believes – and more importantly, makes YOU believe – that he does.

God, I’ve tried writing, and can’t pull it off. And that’s why I enjoyed this so much.

Mnoooah
    Participant

Don’t worry, the Internet recorded it for you. Not all in one piece, but one can’t have everything.

Monkey, shame your sitcom didn’t work out, but people vastly underrate the value of judgement in writing endevours. For instance, if *I* had had any in highschool, I would not lay awake at nights calculating the odds that someone still has an anthology in the bottom of a box in their parent’s basement. Happy are they, that when they are just not feelin’ it, take a pass.

Mnoooah
    Participant
    Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I was supposed to be in that episode, playing a Viking who had to stand next to the urinals shouting at the men in order to put them off pissing. A couple of days before the shoot, I was told that Charlie would prefer an older bloke to play the Viking, and that I wasn’t needed. In the end, it seems that scene got cut. I can only assume that the new Viking was RUBBISH, and that I would have been MUCH BETTER.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

“But I don’t know anything about the empowerment of women”, he says, before going on to demonstrate a brilliantly incisive and sympathetic deconstruction of present-day gender politics.

I’d still rather have had a bit more “normal format” Screenwipe this series, but… by god the man is brilliant.

The two lines that made me laugh the most :

“I’m Konnie Huq. I’m 33, but I look about 9.”
    and
    “What I’m looking for is old-school glamour with a modern twist.” “What, like an Edwardian bonnet with a fucking iPod attached?”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.