Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum GNP on Companies House.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Hey, long time listener, first time caller.

I don’t know why but this self-isolation does make me do some strange things.

For some reason I decided to put Grant Naylor into companies house… Just for shots and giggles.

While having a little scroll through, it turns out Doug resigned from GNP on the 13th of March this year.

Anyone have any ideas why? Could it be Baby Cow related?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Oh blimey, you’re right. That leaves Rob, Paul and Lesley Armitage (widow of Charles) – three people not currently involved in making Red Dwarf – as the only people in charge of the company that makes Red Dwarf. Curious.

What I find really odd is Paul resigning in 1991 and rejoining 26 years later.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Wouldn’t this company be more directly involved in the actual show production nowadays anyways?

Baby Cow (Red Dwarf)

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Wouldn’t this company be more directly involved in the actual show production nowadays anyways?

True, but Doug’s not on that that company’s books either. This is really bizarre.

quinn_drummer
    Participant

Just because he isn’t a director, doesn’t mean he isn’t still an employee. There’s a lot of crap that comes a long with being a director of a company, maybe he didn’t want that burden anymore.

He’ll still be the writer and director of Red Dwarf. And presumably he’ll still get the last call on a lot of things. And presumably it’ll still be him spear heading getting the show made. But certain company decisions, finances and so on, he won’t be directly responsible for.

That’s not to say it isn’t a little weird that GNP is now in the hands of people not involved in actually making the show, but presumably, with other production companies involved anyway, that has never really mattered too much. Doug probably wants to focus on the writer/director aspects and leave all production and stuff entirely to other people. Maybe.

Now the guy’s got Doug as a partner. Any problems, he goes to Doug. Trouble with the bill? He can go to Doug. Trouble with the cops, deliveries, Paul Jackson? He can call Doug. But now the guy’s gotta come up with Doug’s royalties every week no matter what. Business bad? Fuck you, pay me. Oh, you wandered into rogue simulant territory? Fuck you, pay me. Place got hit by lightning huh? Fuck you, pay me.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, I think this pretty much means that Grant Naylor Productions is not responsible for the production of Red Dwarf any more. I presume they won’t get a credit in The Promised Land, and I don’t see a mention of them in the initial press releases (it’s all BabyCow). I wonder if the “About” page on Red Dwarf.co.uk needs an update too. #confused.

I can see TOS is still ©GNP… Perhaps it’s tot!

Must be nice to receive money for something you did thirty years ago.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Wait til you hear what royalties are, it’ll blow your mind.

si
    Participant

I don’t see a mention of them in the initial press releases (it’s all BabyCow).

I noticed that today’s piece in the TOS update also says that it’s a BabyCow production, with no mention of GNP.

THE GESTALT ENTITY KNOWN AS GRANT NAYLOR HAS CEASED TO BE. LONG LIVE THE GESTALT ENTITY BABYCOW.

It’s a cow and a baby sellotaped together.

Kryten makes a face.

si
    Participant

And I see that Rob’s Taken For Granted’s still going strong as well.
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03251193

Ridley
    Participant

Yeah, I think this pretty much means that Grant Naylor Productions is not responsible for the production of Red Dwarf any more. I presume they won’t get a credit in The Promised Land, and I don’t see a mention of them in the initial press releases (it’s all BabyCow). I wonder if the “About” page on Red Dwarf.co.uk needs an update too. #confused.

Well GNP were on there.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yup. The mystery thickens.

performingmonkey
    Participant

Fascinating! I never knew Henry Normal’s real name…until now! Or that Wacko Jacko got back on the books of GNP in 2017. Interesting indeed….!

None of this is really our business, tbf. There’s nothing wrong in looking at Companies House, but it’s unfair to speculate over what Doug’s resigning might mean. It’s unlikely we’ll hear anything ‘official’ on this for a good while.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.