Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Pete: 30 Minute Version

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    JamesTC
    Participant

I thought I’d give editing ‘Pete’ into a 30 minute episode a try. So here it is.

I’m mostly happy with the way the editing turned out. Around 5 or 6 end up a little dodgy as the laughter cuts a little too abruptly and there is one major slip up in the editing with the scene with Lister and Rimmer meeting Birdman as I wanted to cut as much out of that scene and it ended up being too abrupt and a little jarring. Still it gives a vague indication of how a shorter version of ‘Pete’ could have turned out.

Predicted first comment – “At least now it is only half crap”

Ben Paddon
    Participant

At least now it’s only half–… oh.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Very good. I reckon it just needs another 30 minutes or so shaved off and it’ll be perfect.

srmcd1
    Participant

I did a version of this. I kept the basketball game, but I cut all scenes that had nothing to do with Lister and Rimmer, as well as the delayed fight. I might redo it later, though…

JamesTC
    Participant

I originally kept the basketball game but I realised I could cut an extra 3 minutes by keeping the original opening and having the punishment to Ackerman be spud duty. I wouldn’t have been able to get it under 30 minutes otherwise.

srmcd1
    Participant

Well, I cut the opening scene with Ackerman, actually. The episode now opens with the basketball game, as it was originally going to (according to the DVD booklet).

JamesTC
    Participant

Yeah, I did think it originally opened with the basketball game which was why I originally tried it out that way.

Though I think it is better to the ethos of the episodes (originally being titles ‘Captains Office’) to open there.

srmcd1
    Participant

I also did an edit of Back in the Red. Managed to trim the whole thing down to 48 minutes.

MANI506
    Participant

I had to stop watching when that skutter emerged from the water.

There’s a really bitchy blog from the time series viii aired which I can’t find now (although I’m sure there’s a link somewhere on G & T) about how many IQ points you’d have to lose to laugh at Rimmer saying ‘we’re finished’ for the third time.

Although the same blog also noted that ‘follow the Rimmer shaped blur’line is a good line.

I’d like to find that blog again because it charts the disappointment of viii very well in real time. Maybe someone knows which blog I’m on about?

JamesTC
    Participant

There’s a really bitchy blog from the time series viii aired which I can’t find now (although I’m sure there’s a link somewhere on G & T) about how many IQ points you’d have to lose to laugh at Rimmer saying ‘we’re finished’ for the third time.

You’ll find if you carry on watching a few more seconds that I’ve cut out the third “we’re finished”!

MANI506
    Participant

I thought it was a good edit but just can’t get past that very silly shot of the skutter in the dinosaurs stomach.

Cutting out the third ‘we’re finished!’ – good call.

JamesTC
    Participant

I did try and cut out stuff that is in general not very popular. Stuff like the repeating “See you in ten minutes” and I cut an entire section out of the Dino Burp/Sick/Diarrhea bit.

In general I don’t think people like the bit where Kryten sneaks the time wand back onto Red Dwarf in his head but I like it too much to cut it.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I’d like to find that blog again because it charts the disappointment of viii very well in real time. Maybe someone knows which blog I’m on about?

http://jeezycreezy.sitehacks.com/movies/VIIreviews.html

MANI506
    Participant

That’s the one, cheers!

ChrisM
    Participant

I did a version of this. I kept the basketball game, but I cut all scenes that had nothing to do with Lister and Rimmer, as well as the delayed fight.

I liked the basketball game. And one of the delayed fight scene was one of the highlights of that episode for me! I thought it was very well done.

I had mixed feelings concerning the other repetitive Hollister stuff mind you. Starts amusing, gets irritating and gets amusing again. Or just more irritating, depending on how I’m feeling. The time wand gag making Hollister repeat himself should have been cut out though. At least after the first repeat.

As for Rimmer’s extended salute (was it that episode or another, they tend to blend together somewhat) I’m undecided if it’s a great piece of physical comedy or tiresome. Or a mixture of both.

si
    Participant

The Basketball game is fine, the delayed fight is good, the ‘See you in ten minutes’ is annoying, and the extended salute is great.

In my run-up to attending the RDX recording, I rewatched every ep and when I got to Pete part one, I was surprised at how g…well, not *good*, exactly, but certainly a lot better than I’d remembered. The first half of Pete part one isn’t that bad at all, really. Doesn’t say much for the rest of the story, mind.

MANI506
    Participant

I actually do like the bit where Kryten sneaks the time wand back by hiding it in his head. That is a good bit.

I never really had a problem with the basketball scene other than it’s totally implausible as a form of punishment.

Some funny bits in these episodes but on the whole they’re unsalvageable.

MANI506
    Participant

Imagine if series seven and eight had only had six episodes in each. We could have lost Duct Soup, Beyond A Joke and both Petes.

I think losing those episodes might have made those series stand up a bit better against 1-6.

pfm
    Participant

Personally I would cut Ouroboros and make Epideme/Nanarchy a single episode. For VIII, cut one part of BITR and Pete.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>http://jeezycreezy.sitehacks.com/movies/VIIreviews.html

Hadn’t seen that before. A good read, thanks.

ChrisM
    Participant

> We could have lost Duct Soup, Beyond A Joke and both Petes.

Beyond A Joke is arguably my favourite episode of Series VII.

I say ‘arguably’ as Tikka to Ride is up there.

>For VIII, cut one part of BITR and Pete.

Yes I think shorter versions of those stories would have worked better.

pfm
    Participant

Watching the Pete edit…it’s got to be at least 6-7 years since I’ve seen it without commentary. I still can’t believe Holly’s ‘QPR’ and ‘Little Chef’ gags even made it into the episode…

Also, ‘only an idiot would eat this.’ *eats* has to be one of my all-time least-favourite Dwarfian moments. *sigh*

srmcd1
    Participant

Hope its okay to put this here, but here’s my version of Pete. It’s in three parts, so be ready to click when necessary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DGwGWzoOCQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

locusceruleus
    Participant

>Beyond A Joke is arguably my favourite episode of Series VII.

Not my favourite of the series but I’ve also never really understood why it’s so maligned. Pete on the other hand is the teenage fanfic from hell.

MANI506
    Participant

I’ve said this before but srmcd1 did a brilliant job editing the last episode of series viii Mirror/Rorrim.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZroR5DdKRI&list=UUQZ8xow0tCA_nrQhYiqHtPg&index=42&feature=plcp

I will watch the Pete three parter at some point and I’ll be very impressed if srmcd1 saved that one!

John Hoare
    Participant

I still can’t believe Holly’s ‘QPR’ and ‘Little Chef’ gags even made it into the episode…

I like the QPR gag.

Naturally, I will commit suicide immediately.

srmcd1
    Participant

Ugh. I’ve been meaning to redo that one. There’s always room for improvement.

Don’t feel bad, John. We all have our guilty pleasures. You know, there are those who enjoy the Blue Midget scene?

Kris Carter
    Participant

Sad, lonely people…

Alex
    Participant

Sad, lonely people…

You are Norman Lovett and I claim my £5.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Not until he gets his ball back…

si
    Participant

I like the QPR gag as well.

*joins self-help group with John*

Stabbim the Skutter
    Participant

The Little Chef waitress joke I would love, if it didn’t have the standard Series VIII overexplanation. “About the same speed as the average Little Chef waitress.” Funny. “That’s why they don’t appear to be moving at all.” NO SHUT UP

NoFro
    Participant

The brill cream gag in VIII is absolutely brilliant (imo) until it’s over explained.

Carlito
    Participant

And the opening scene….

There’s Argyll, and there’s the baby…. NO, THERE’S Argyll, and THERE’s the baby…
    I was thrown for a second by the bib and the bonnet…

(or something along those lines)

You’re right, the over-explanation thing kinda bothered me at the time but it’s only when you specifically look for it that you realise just how OFTEN it occurs.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Help me out, I remember all the other “gags” above, but what is the QPR joke?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Help me out, I remember all the other “gags” above, but what is the QPR joke?

It’s this superb punchline after a stunningly subtle piece of setting up from Kryten:

KRYTEN: I’ve never seen anything like this before. A group of men who display all the normal lifesigns, but seem totally incapable of movement.

HOLLY: Never seen QPR play away, then?

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

…and the punchline?

HelloMabel
    Participant

Well while we’re on the topic of srmcd1’s videos, I just want to say that both the above mentioned ones and the Rimmer/Iris music vid got me though a dark time in my life. I discovered those vids accidentally about a year ago when I still hadn’t heard about BTE at all. (Dark times, as I said.) So thank you, Smirked One.

Wait – I’ve been reading your name wrong? Sorry.

John Hoare
    Participant

KRYTEN: I’ve never seen anything like this before. A group of men who display all the normal lifesigns, but seem totally incapable of movement.

HOLLY: Never seen QPR play away, then?

I am giggling again. But I’m a sucker for a tortuous setup.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I am giggling again. But I’m a sucker for a tortuous setup.

I think I would like it better if Norman didn’t pull a big “AREN’T I FUNNY?” grin after every gag.

si
    Participant

I’m with Cappsy on that point. Norm’s delivery in the early series was part of what made Holly such a good character. In Nanarchy and series VIII, the grins he gave kind of said ‘Look! I’m back! I therefore must be the best Holly! In your face, Hattie!’

Or something.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Ah, yes. In theory it’s the same setup, pay-off as

HOLLY: You’ve got your basic dimensions, right, length, breadth, depth and time. The fifth dimension is co-existing realities, two bodies who share the same space but are unaware of each other’s existence.

RIMMER: Sounds like my parents in bed.

And yet, for two reasons (the contrived and unlikely setup line, the contemporary reference in the punchline) it doesn’t work nearly as well.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Has anybody out there tried doing an extended eight-part edit of Pete? I bet that’d be really, really, really, really good.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Has anybody out there tried doing an extended eight-part edit of Pete? I bet that’d be really, really, really, really good.

You’re messing with forces you do not understand, Paddon.

Kris Carter
    Participant

All you need is Hollister’s “Seeya in ten minutes?” bit repeated solidly for six hours. How’s that for a slice of fried gold?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

WHy isn’t there a YouTube video of “See you in ten minutes?” looping for two hours?

pfm
    Participant

The QPR gag would be okay, I suppose, if it wasn’t followed up by the Little Chef waitress one. Two gags of that nature just smacks of desperation…

Nick R
    Participant

I’d like to find that blog again because it charts the disappointment of viii very well in real time. Maybe someone knows which blog I’m on about?

http://jeezycreezy.sitehacks.com/movies/VIIreviews.html

Ah, it’s great to read those reviews again! IIRC I first came across them when they were linked to in the closedown message from rdw.org. Had a look for them again a few years ago but couldn’t find them – I couldn’t remember any specific phrases from them to search for (except “hilarity ensues”, because those reviews were the first time I’d ever come across that useful phrase).

Speaking of Dwarf-related stuff that I thought had disappeared from the web… the official site used to host a transcript of Doug Naylor’s comments at the 2004 Dimension Jump, explaining the state of the movie funding at the time. But at some point it got deleted from the official site, presumably in a fit of Orwellian history-changing on the part of Andrew Ellard. ;) My searches for it were hindered by the fact that, not having attended that Dimension Jump, I misremembered it as being a speech given by Doug in person…

But while typing this post, I realised it was a letter/email from him, not a speech. One quick addition of “+letter” to the search terms later, and I’d discovered the only copy of it on the entire internet: HERE.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

That’s the story treatment for TM:YNYN right there.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Is there going to be a film? You bet your ass there will.

Did anyone take this bet?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.