Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum RDXDVD?

Viewing 80 posts - 1 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    si
    Participant

Don’t know where else to write this – I’ve Tweeted it already – and I didn’t want to start a new thread, but I’ve seen RDX available to pre-order on both Play (£14 DVD/£18 BR) and HMV (£22/£24), both giving a release date of November 19th.
    I realise this should probably betaken with a pinch of salt, but a Nov 19th release would mean that episode one would air no later than October 14th. wouldn’t it?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Anyone else remember when the BBC released a video of Harry Enfield and Chums Series 2 about six months before it actually aired?

That was weird.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Fuck HMV and their prices.

Kuato-Quade
    Participant

I hope they bring out a DVD/BR combo.

Wonder how the packaging will look too, if it’ll be like the other series dvds or another kinda standalone design that doesn’t fit with series I-VIII like the Back to Earth dvd.

si
    Participant

Zavvi and Sendit have also now got them up at £20 DVD/£25 BR.

Just saying.

Packaging wise, I’d like to see a sleeve like RDI-VIII, maybe featuring the new bunk-room. Maybe on a reversible sleeve, if necessary.

pfm
    Participant

> Wonder how the packaging will look too, if it’ll be like the other series dvds or another kinda standalone design that doesn’t fit with series I-VIII like the Back to Earth dvd.

I think Doug has mentioned the design will fit in with 1-VIII.

Connell
    Participant

They should use a picture of the bunkroom as the cover for RDX, and let it seep round onto the spine, then with the next series (fingers crossed!) they can have a different cover… but then the spine continues with the bunkroom. That way if Dave pull the plug the spine wont look silly! Genius me.

NoFro
    Participant

May have already pre-ordered the Blu Ray…

Easily my most looked forward to release of the year!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Connell’ idea is interesting, though considering how often Red Dwarf changed its locations and format Back in the Day we’d probably reach Series XII and find that bunkroom set is no longer in use, for whatever reason.

Connell
    Participant

> considering how often Red Dwarf changed its locations and format Back in the Day we’d probably reach Series XII and find that bunkroom set is no longer in use, for whatever reason.

Good point, okay replace the bunkroom with whatever image, maybe one of the cast, or anything that will remain the same.

si
    Participant

Price comparison site 123pricecheck now have these lists of prices for Red Dwarf X. The cheapest at the moment are Amazon, who now have it listed for £14.99 DVD/£17.50 BR.

DVD Prices: http://www.123pricecheck.com/Product-283926/B008RA60NG-Red+Dwarf+X.html
    Blu-ray Prices: http://www.123pricecheck.com/Product-283926/B008RA60UY-Red+Dwarf+X.html

Incidentally, Play aren’t listed on 123, and it’s worth noting that HMV’s listing doesn’t appear in these lists as it’s listed on their site as ‘Red Dwarf: Series 10’.

the cheapest ive found it on sainsbury’s website for 12.99 for the dvd and £15.99. the most expensive is tesco’s and £26.77 for the dvd and on blu-ray 33.17

Pecospete666
    Participant

Not on US Amazon yet. Bastards!

si
    Participant

Well, ten years ago, I preordered my first Red Dwarf DVD from play.com, and I bought every Red Dwarf DVD I own from that site with no problems. I felt it was only right that I preorder my first Red Dwarf Blu-ray (I don’t have BtE on BR) from there, too.

Unless I find it *ridiculously* cheap elsewhere, of course. ;)

mick
    Participant

Sadly the Tesco I got my Series 1 DVD from is long gone, however the Iceland (yes Iceland!) I got my first VHS (SIIB1) from is still very much around.

JamesTC
    Participant

I’ll be pre-ordering the Blu-Ray in the next few weeks. I have a £10 voucher coming up from the Appreciation Index survey I take part in so that’d probably have to be used on Amazon.

I’ll be buy the DVD version on release date, probably from Asda.

A release date of 19th November does seem to indicate that it’ll begin airing in the first week of October.

Still no news on a cast commentary. Perhaps they are waiting for Danny John-Jules to be available after he finishes Series 2 of Death in Paradise.

Pecospete666
    Participant

Iceland! cool, Bad joke do you mean the country?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Oh, I get it.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Oh, I get it! I get jokes!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

My mum has gone to Iceland.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Reykjavík?

Jimboid
    Participant

Reykjavik? I damn near killed him!

No, wait…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I think he works at our place. One of the agency staff.

Jokes are lame unless they’re being ironic.

JamesTC
    Participant

Have just pre-ordered my Blu-Ray at HMV for £17. Had a £10 voucher so it only cost me £7. With it being HMV, I am hoping it’ll arrive the Saturday before release. These days Amazon are just unreliable in that regard, I’m getting pre-ordered DVDs the Wednesday and Thursday after release.

pfm
    Participant

Depends how good the series is.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>Depends how good the series is.

Christmas budget box-set idea – Red Dwarf: Just The Ones Worth Bothering With.

NoFro
    Participant

Just remembered that the I-VIII dvds (and bodysnatcher?) had the wonderful collectors booklets. I hope we see the return of them with the series x dvds/blu rays.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Any word on whether the Bluray will be region-free? Or will I have to just import the DVD and wait until Best Buy gets the American version of the BD in?

pfm
    Participant

Just live in England. Problem solved.

mick
    Participant

The Daily Mail may dispute that statement.

Alex
    Participant

On the subject of the DVD, it seems that the commentaries haven’t been done yet. In fact, their inclusion is currently unconfirmed going by this tweet from Richard Naylor:

Cast and Doug really want to do them. Waiting to hear from the powers that be.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

If the ‘powers that be’ say anything other then “yes, do them, obviously” they the biggest fucking idiots.

Kris Carter
    Participant

If it ended up being a choice between cast or Doug… Doug.

Jo
    Participant

>If the ‘powers that be’ say anything other then “yes, do them, obviously” they the biggest fucking idiots.

If it’s the same ‘powers that be’ who thought #Vindalunar was a good idea, then I’m not holding my breath.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>If the ‘powers that be’ say anything other then “yes, do them, obviously” they the biggest fucking idiots.

Having just started re-listening to the commentaries from III-onwards, I couldn’t agree more. What a letdown it would be to skip them now.

NoFro
    Participant

Definitely want a Doug one. How much does it cost to record these things?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Kickstarter…

HelloMabel
    Participant

> If it ended up being a choice between cast or Doug… Doug.

This is a tough call. There is already a ‘docco with teeth’ that presumably has lots of info from Doug, so I’ll go with cast commentary. But the main thing is that there must be some kind of commentary. There *must* be.

…Mustn’t there?

si
    Participant

For the last ten years, the Red Dwarf DVDs have had the best cast commentaries I’ve ever heard. Even the series eight ones where Norm’s at his worst.
    The thought of a Red Dwarf DVD with no cast commentary – or *any* commentary at all? *shudder*

pfm
    Participant

A Doug/Richard/Ellard one would be acceptable…;)

If they can’t get the cast together, fair enough, but it would be a huge shame!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Firmly on the Doug side, if we can only have one. We’ve got lots of cast commentaries on the existing DVDs, only one (true) writer/director commentary.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Firmly on the Doug side, if we can only have one. We’ve got lots of cast commentaries on the existing DVDs, only one (true) writer/director commentary.

Indeed.

The very fact that commentaries weren’t a definite thing form the beginning is very worrying. They’re KEY to any Red Dwarf DVD.

Claire
    Participant

Danny’s just tweeted that the whole of RDX has been delivered to him in Guadeloupe – maybe so he can form some opinions before doing a commentary?

I really hope so – a RD DVD without commentaries would be a real letdown, IMO.

locusceruleus
    Participant

>This is a tough call. There is already a ‘docco with teeth’ that presumably has lots of info from Doug, so I’ll go with cast commentary.

Likewise – I love Doug’s insight but the entertainment value of the cast commentaries is massive. Although logically speaking, I guess if money is the issue it’s going to be far more economical to have a Doug-only commentary.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I’d say it’s more availability than money, what with Craig’s Weatherfield commitments and Danny being in Guadeloupe.

Kuato-Quade
    Participant

I really hope there is a cast commentary, they are one of my favourite parts of the dvds.

So far I think its only Danny thats been in every commentary for every episode and we need that to continue.

I would go with a Doug commentary, but I’d be thinking of a cast one.

JamesTC
    Participant

Could Doug and the cast not do one together? If they can only afford one then I’d favour them all doing one together.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I’m not against that idea, but I can just imagine Doug starting several good points only to be interrupted by Danny blathering on about ham salads.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

At this point, I’d easily be able to live without a cast commentary, but it would be really gutting if we get nothing from Doug (well, apart for the giant documentary).

The standard set by previous DVDs is too damn high!

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

>At this point, I’d easily be able to live without a cast commentary, but it would be really gutting if we get nothing from Doug (well, apart for the giant documentary).

This.

>The standard set by previous DVDs is too damn high!

I think especially after the BtE DVD, I’m half-expecting, as well as hoping, Doug will do commentaries. He must know by now how much we’d love to hear him do them and it can’t be a case of he really doesn’t like to do them considering he recorded several for the ‘Bodysnatcher’ DVD too.

Even if he just does commentaries for select episodes of RDX, I’d be happy. Though all six would obviously be a real treat!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I reckon it’ll end up being Cast and occasionally with Doug in a few episodes…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

(well, apart for the giant documentary)

I have it on good authority from Nathan Cubitt that the documentary is AT LEAST 15 hours long.

In fact THAT’s why Danny had 6 discs for those episodes. One Episode per disc plus 2 hours of documentary on that episode.

HelloMabel
    Participant

That’s absolutely staggering.

mick
    Participant

> That’s absolutely staggering.

Sorry I’ve had quite a bit to drink.

Pecospete666
    Participant

Danny John-Jules (@DannyJohnJules)
    9/8/12 5:37 AM
    New #BUCKY competition for Dwarfers bit.ly/RWwlAg
    Why the link did not come out?

Sarah
    Participant

I want to hear the banned commentary (from a previous DVD).

Jimboid
    Participant

Banned commentary?

Sarah
    Participant

Sorry blonde moment, forgot to add #dwarffact to that.

si
    Participant

Ooh. Here’s interesting. HMV Exclusive Steelbook.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=985407

NoFro
    Participant

It is interesting. Might get it if it has really good artwork though I’m downloading the eps from itunes for train journeys and will be getting the blu ray for my TV.

I really can’t wait to see We’re Smegged. Seeing Trojan made me even more excited for it.

JamesTC
    Participant

I’ve already ordered the Blu-Ray from HMV. If they did a steel book of that then I might consider it but with the DVD having a reverse side which matches Series 1-VIII, I’ll be getting the normal version if the DVD on day of release.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

And now it’s a news post. Just not here.

ChrisM
    Participant

Assuming the Steelbook doesn’t have any extra stuff I’ll likely stick with the regular release. I like the idea of that reversible cover.

Freebird
    Participant

I noticed that during the advert for the DVD after the shows it’s described it as a “collectors edition”. Meaningless word play? Or could there be a version with extra- extras?

Edit: Or could collectors edition be referring to the fact that it has the reversible cover?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Every DVD is technically part of a Collectors edition as a collector would want ALL DVDs…

Freebird
    Participant

Well, that’s one way of justifying the term I suppose. :/ Personally however, I’ll be waiting for the Limited, deluxe, special collectors edition ;)

Pfft, DVD, Blu-ray, the only truly unique and limited collector’s edition worth a gander is the series X VHS collection winging its way into the hands of a dozen or so lucky punters who firstly give a shit about my conversion project and secondly still own a reliably working VCR.

It’s limited to a handful of copies because I will be fucking DAMNED if I’m going to sit for more than a few hours beside a clunky old tape duplicator in an industrial estate.

Blisschick
    Participant

Still no word on Amazon US about release dates. Total suckage.

MANI506
    Participant

Put my name down for one of those Pete Tranter’s Sister! I both own a working VCR and give a shit!

Blisschick, I just had a gander on Amazon at the DVD artwork for the American releases of Red Dwarf. You have my sincere condolences.

MANI506, I’ll be kicking the project off as soon as the series X Blu-ray lands so expect it for early to mid-December.

MANI506
    Participant

Brutal!

clem
    Participant

I’d like to put in an order as well PTS. Your mad project intrigues me.

Sold!

Jo
    Participant

Re: US release of RDX DVD – http://www.bbcamericashop.com/blog/dvds-in-the-works/2012/10/12/the-return-of-red-dwarf/

We expect the DVD to be available early next year.

Blisschick
    Participant

I knew it would be next year, just not when. I thought there might be some kind of projected date or something by now. Oh, well. At least I’m able to see it and not have to wait until then.

Pecospete666
    Participant

On Oct 22, 2012, at 8:54 AM, “DVDenquiry”

No, those are UK release dates. The USA release date is 08th January
    2013_

Regards
    DVD Enquiry Line

—–Original Message—–
    Sent: 22 October 2012 17:12
    To: DVDenquiry
    Subject: Re: Red Dwarf X when?

Here in the USA?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

It’s going to be tough, Pete, but I’m sure you’ll get through it.

StephenSimpson
    Participant

We have a VHS converter at work. I may be interested!

si
    Participant

8th January. Elvis’s birthday.

Viewing 80 posts - 1 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.