Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf Cinematic Trilogy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Veni

Just an idea, and most of this is fan wanking so take it with a grain of salt, what if this movie/special/whatever-the-fuck lead into two of the same thing. I’m talking a Red Dwarf trilogy.

Maybe if this coronavirus fiasco gets handled (though unlikely, tbh) quick enough, we can kickstart production into the second one during the summer, and maybe release it during Christmas or next Easter?

idk

Katydid
    Participant

I would pay good money to see another one soon.

Veni

Technically I’m not even paying to see this one

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Certainly possible as Richard Naylor said on twitter when the special was announced that “There was an option to make two specials back to back but wanted to test the format first”. So you could certainly make the leap to think that if this goes well then there might be 2 or 3 more.

Katydid
    Participant

To the chagrin of everyone who keeps insisting this is the last Red Dwarf ever for some reason.

JamesTC
    Participant

I thought this thread was going to suggest that Back in the Red, Back to Earth and The Promised Land are the Red Dwarf cinematic trilogy.

I definitely think that specials are the way to go forward from now on. And it was a sentiment echoed by others when leaving the recording. Red Dwarf has had sixty-odd single episodes so now, as it is in its final few years, a few big stories are the best way to go.

Dave
    Participant

It worked for Only Fools And Horses.

Hamish
    Participant

> I definitely think that specials are the way to go forward from now on.

Were the last few seasons needed to get there or could Doug have just gone with specials since 2009 do you think though?

JamesTC
    Participant

>Were the last few seasons needed to get there or could Doug have just gone with specials since 2009 do you think though?

Absolutely they were needed in order to get the tone and style of modern Dwarf right. And I don’t think you could jump from BTE to an audience based special. I feel like now we are in the happy medium of what Dave wanted after BTE, what Doug wanted and what the fans wanted.

Veni

Were the last few seasons needed to get there or could Doug have just gone with specials since 2009 do you think though?

Without them we wouldn’t have this culture of new Red Dwarf being the norm, if we just had this special everybody would be bitching about the VIII cliffhanger getting resolved whereas now that Red Dwarf is just a normal thing again, we can have a fresh start.

Veni

Plus we wouldn’t have been able to use material built for the previous series like the bunkroom, Kryten’s new makeup, the cast’s costumes, the science room. We’d had to build them all new and that would’ve limited the budget.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Doug appears to be in favour of specials over series

Spaceworm Jim
    Participant

Really like that Doug tweeted at Comic Con telling them he’s the co-creator and not “the creator.” I don’t have twitter anymore so just saw it now, under one of those linked ones.

si
    Participant

Quote from Doug, from the Red Dwarf feature in the new SFX:

“If UKTV came back and asked, ‘What do you want to do next?’, for all sorts of reasons I think it would be another special.”

He’s planning to sellotape three special together into a LOTR-esque cinematic trilogy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.