Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf Prop discovery

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    GlenTokyo
    Participant

Don’t know whether this is a known thing, I’m sure it is because they’re quite heavily featured in the first 2 series, but I was just browsing the Prop Store’s latest auction catalogue and some stuff came up for Outland (1981) starring Sean Connery.

Immediately it looked familiar – it’s the suit Lister wears in the titles while he’s painting the ship. Who’s he wears I don’t know, it was likely a fresh pull from an existing mould, and whether the one in Red Dwarf is still about is unknown but it’s undoubtedly the same design.

He’s even wearing the backpack, although in the titles he’s wearing it on his front with a paint pack on his back.

Interesting stuff for saddos like me…

Outland suits

Red Dwarf suit

The suits were designed by John Mollo, and parts were made by Andrew Ainsworth, pretty big names in Star Wars land.

It’s interesting to look at the catalogue if anyone’s bothered – features some of the great work of the late Bill Pearson too.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Here’s a link to the catalogue

Propstore Catalogue

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Oh, and there’s a Starbug on there – page 317, it says it’s from filming but it isn’t – so buyer beware if anyone fancies it.

Propstore Catalogue

On that same page is David Ross’ costume. Which seems like a steal at 1500gbp if you’re a Red Dwarf fan with a PVC fetish

Dave
    Participant

Or a PVC fan with a Red Dwarf fetish.

si
    Participant

A Red PVC Dwarf with a Fan Fetish?

Dax101
    Participant

There are more images here of the David Ross Kryten costume

https://propstoreauction.com/m/search/?key=red%20dwarf

Dave
    Participant

Someone snapped up the ‘naked’ Kryten costume for £2,500. Whoof.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

If you’ve ever been on Tumblr you’ll know that having a Red Dwarf fetish is a thing.

It’s strange on there, but hey, whatever’s your poison.

As for the helmet and how it came to be in Red Dwarf, I reckon Peter Wragg asked The Magic Company (based at Shepperton) who then went round to Ainsworth and said “have you got a helmet we can have?” in the time honoured tradition of wandering around looking for cheap stuff.

Nearly 10 year old space helmet and backpack from something that’s not getting a sequel would fit the bill.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

*Magic Camera Company

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Just an update because I was doing a bit of prop hunting and I’ll forget unless I write it down – the ‘X’ shaped clasp/ chestpiece thing on the suit, was also used in Aliens on the salvage crew costumes.

Aliens salvage crew

Apparently they were also the go to spacesuits on kids tv in the mid 80’s, appearing on CBBC supposedly, and a British Airways advert around the same time as Red Dwarf.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.