Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Strong: Sl*g B*st*rd tw*ts @ *fc*m

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jonsmad
    Participant
    Hamish
    Participant

Maybe it is because I am Canadian, but I really do not understand how “bastard” and “fanny” can be seen as Strong Language.

I’ve always known bastard to be a swear word.

I’m surprised shit was below knob, though.

Sentences you never expected to write.

Hamish
    Participant

Certainly “Bastard” is a swear word, but in most of the English speaking world it has become so far removed from its original meaning to have become mostly harmless.

And apparently “Fanny” does not mean the same thing here as it does in the UK.

Jonsmad
    Participant

And captain bollock was only medium but still enough to bleep pre watershed.

Moonlight
    Participant

As an American, I completely forget bollocks is even a swear word at all.

I certainly never imagined it was considered bad enough to bleep on TV.

Sloblocks.

Moonlight
    Participant

“Crap” is not even harsh enough to be considered a swear word where I live and this list ranks it equal to “goddamn”, which if you said it on an American television show would get you a TV-MA rating (equivalent to the high end of a UK 15, I believe). “Pissed off” is pretty socially acceptable, though not child-friendly, and here it’s listed in the Medium section on par with all sorts of swear words including “shit”, which is another word that’ll get you rated TV-MA.

I feel like my normal everyday speech would get be jailed for public indecency if I traveled to the UK.

Dave
    Participant

“Crap” is not even harsh enough to be considered a swear word where I live and this list ranks it equal to “goddamn”, which if you said it on an American television show would get you a TV-MA rating (equivalent to the high end of a UK 15, I believe). “Pissed off” is pretty socially acceptable, though not child-friendly, and here it’s listed in the Medium section on par with all sorts of swear words including “shit”, which is another word that’ll get you rated TV-MA.

I feel like my normal everyday speech would get be jailed for public indecency if I traveled to the UK.

I think you might have it the wrong way around – I think the list is more an indication that those words that you say are considered harsh in the US are considered as less offensive here, rather than indicating that the likes of ‘crap’ and ‘pissed off’ are taboo in the UK.

‘Crap’ is in the lowest possible category, and the fact that it’s ranked equal to ‘goddamn’ is an indication that in the UK ‘goddamn’ is seen as a fairly inoffensive word. As with the inclusion of ‘Jesus Christ’, it’s a reflection of the fact that religious-oriented swearwords aren’t seen as a particularly big deal in the UK (whereas they are mores in the US, as you say).

‘Pissed off’ and ‘shit’ are also in a fairly low category – I would say that all the words in that group are unsuitable for very polite conversation, but are still fairly mild, and wouldn’t raise many eyebrows if used in adult exchanges.

si
    Participant

A Radio 2 presenter apologised (on two separate occasions) for her guest saying “crap” the other week, which I thought was hilarious/ridiculous. Mind you, it was a sunday morning. The typical audience just aren’t really up for that sort of language, I suppose.

RickLee84
    Participant

And yet the BBC have Shrek on at least once a year seemingly and that has a “crap” uttered by Donkey and no-one cares…!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Crevice is a dirty word.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.