Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum The ENTIRELY Warranted Series X Speculation Thread.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Mnoooah
    Participant

Go!:P

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

it will start with a 3 parter called ” …..die young ” parts 1 2 and 3 which give us an in depth conclusion to only the good then in episode 4 kochanski returns along with the rest of the crew and the dwarfers are inprisoned for stealing red dwarf. the series ends with rimmer waking up discovering he has dreamed the last 2 series while unconcious. and once again flees from the death ……

well thats soemthing to look forward to eh?

Another Phil
    Participant

Well, surely the first question is: what should we call this thread? Should it be the Series IX Speculation Thread, the Series X Speculation Thread or (given the revelations in BtE) the Series XI Speculation Thread? Or my personal favourite, the Convention for Looking Into the Tenth Original Run In Speculation? Uh, one drawback with that…

Edited since I can’t spell.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Actually, the series number thing is interesting… Doug definitely said that Series IX wouldn’t be possible, but Series X would be. And yet Series X is mentioned on the back of the (fictional) BTE DVD. As far as I remember, all the other references within the show are to Series IX – that’s when Kryten told Lister that Kochanski had died, and was apparently the best series ever. So why the Series X mention?

TheLeen
    Participant

and was apparently the best series ever

If it was, I have to see it. As a prequel to BtE. :x

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Episode 1: ListerLand
    Lister is stranded on a planet for a few years and decides to clone himself for company. The whole planet is swiftly populated by a society of curry-obsessed look-a-likes.

Episode 2: Blue II
    Lister starts to miss Kochanski, leading to the crew trying to cheer him up. Kryten creates the “Kochanski Experience” featuring another hilarious Munchkin sequence.

Episode 3: Mind Exchange
    The Cat and Kryten exchange minds, leading to hilarious consequences. Cat does some cleaning and Kryten tries on some new outfits.

Episode 4: Polymorph III : Emohawk II
    The Emohawk returns, transforming the Cat into the crazy scientist guy from Only the Good and Kryten into the Data Doctor.

Episode 5: Forwards
    The crew crash land on a version of Earth where time runs forwards, leading to hilarious consequences.

Episode 6: Back to Back to Earth
    The crew once again discover that they are figments of someone’s imagination, but this time there are homages to the 80’s movie Mannequin. The whole thing is really a dream cause by another despair squid. Or something.

I’d like to make it clear that these are homages, not rip-offs.

p2p_productions
    Participant

>the series ends with rimmer waking up discovering he has dreamed the last 2 series while unconcious.

Funny, for a brief moment, that’s how I thought BtE was gonna end. They’d wake up on Starbug with Hattie at the end of BtR and Series VI, VII and VIII would have been ‘all a dream’…

si
    Participant

I can sense a hint of sarcasm.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

No, BtE was set *after* X…

hummingbird
    Participant

Only a hint?

Clearly BtE was X, so we need a Series XI.
    Failing that we need a whole new naming convention …
    I vote for Series Spigot, Series Artichoke or Series Iain Lee.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

Pete – you made me laugh a lot :)

Mnoooah
    Participant

Y’know, BtE is nearly the ultimate Fan Present. It gave us so much to obsess over we can’t EVEN decide what how to refer to the next season. This will keep us going for a looooooong time.

Phil
    Participant

>I?d like to make it clear that these are homages, not rip-offs.

I have nothing to add to Pete’s post. I just want to remind myself of it.

Andrew
    Participant

> Doug definitely said that Series IX wouldn?t be possible, but Series X would be.

The insane levels to which this little red carpet joke has been taken seriously beggars belief…!

Mnoooah
    Participant

> seriously beggars belief?!

Have you MET us? Think of it this way: we loved it so much, we’ll never let it go.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

The whole thing is really a dream cause by another despair squid.

Next time it’ll be the “fairly neutral feeling, actually” squid.

Phil
    Participant

The apathy squid? Maybe this one’s hermaphroditic.

fullmetalraz
    Participant

Actually, quite a few of Pete’s “ideas” i’d like to see, especially lister land. And yes i’m fully aware he’s being sarcastic.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

I don’t know if Pete intended to use the words “hilarious consequences” quite so often, but it does make it sound like a rejected VHS cover.

Carlito
    Participant

> Episode 3: Mind Exchange
    The Cat and Kryten exchange minds, leading to hilarious consequences. Cat does some cleaning and Kryten tries on some new outfits.

This does sound quite amusing…

mookieman
    Participant

Episode 3 Mind Exchange. Yea sounds good. Do it as Bodyswap II though. I want to see Krytens body wearing Cats Ensemble and Cat ironing Lister’s Boxer Shorts. Mix in a female cat who’s got the hots for Kryten in Cats body confusing the hell out of him and also has to fend off a sex pest mechanoid.

mookieman
    Participant

Oh and please please make Identity Within

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Jesus, Karl. I realise Liverpool had their arsed kicked but fucking hell.

Richey
    Participant

After BTE: Blade Runner, does anyone else think Doug might once again attempt to produce humour in Red Dwarf through ‘homage’? I was thinking about this today at work and wondered what a series of Red Dwarf, with every episode being an homage to a different story, might turn out like.

Well, here’s my suggestion for an episode (prepare to engage sarcastic laughter mode :P)

Episode: The Admirable Kryten
    Whilst investigating a mysterious planet, Starbug is forced to make a crash landing. Unable to repair the ship, the crew is forced to forraging on this strange new world. Kryten, using his knowledge of basic survival, takes it upon himself to lead the group. But as he becomes accustomed to his new power, he begins to grow meniacal in his control over the others.

Aside from the blatant homage to the JM Barrie play, you could also use homages to other greats in this episodic formula

– trapped in a strange place and forced to survive, leading to development of a hierarchy = LORD OF THE FLIES
    – both Lister and The Cat injured, forcing them to rely on Kryten = BETTER THAN LIFE (NOVEL)
    – Kryten’s brain is also damaged in the crash which is why he eventually starts to become maniacal in controlling the others and finally chases them across the planet in a murderous frenzy = MISERY, THE SHINING

That last one in particular I can imagine Bob Llewellyn playing beautifully – Kryten as Kathy Bates would be fun to watch :D

Carlito
    Participant

There’s no reason for any future Red Dwarf to not be series IX… and as noted elsewhere, hopefully ITV will pick it up.

fullmetalraz
    Participant

Out of Tank Into The End
    Red Dwarf heads through a ridiculously long field of unreality pockets, unable to turn in time the crew has no choice but to continue onward. After many weird realities played out that rivalled those of “out of time”, the crew decide to go into stasis until they are out of the field. A million years later (That’s right, i went there) the crew emerge from stasis, to find dangerous monsters in the ships cargo bay. Holly (who is now back online) explains that the prisoners that were also left behind when the resurrected crew abandoned ship, had evolved much like the cat race did but this time into horrible beasts. The Crew attempt to lure the prisoner creatures out with the ships supply of curry, and whilst they munch on that they are flushed out into space. The episode ends on a psuedo cliff hanger, lister once again with no curry and now with an idea of what has happened to earth by what one million years did to the prisoners.

How many previous plots did i manage to work in there?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>hopefully ITV will pick it up

Quoted for sheer lunacy. ITV?!

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

ITV 4 hopefully. It’s a ratings goldmine.

Jo
    Participant

>The insane levels to which this little red carpet joke has been taken seriously beggars belief?!

Maybe you should mention to Dave that it was a joke? ;o)
    http://dave.uktv.co.uk/library/red-dwarf/red-dwarf-live-chat/

So there you have it. Three brand new episodes of Red Dwarf. The best Easter treat you could ever have. But what did you think of Back to Earth? Doug Naylor has already said there won’t be a Series 9 – but should there be a Series 10?

Carlito
    Participant

> Quoted for sheer lunacy. ITV?!

I did expand upon it in quite a lot of detail in the thread below, generalising why I think it could be both effective and feasible.

http://www.ganymede.tv/forum/2009/04/dave-pleased-with-red-dwarf

JamesTC
    Participant

I think Dave should get first dibs on a Series IX.

NoFro
    Participant

Oh definitely. To be honest, I don’t see why they would’ve comissioned BTE if they weren’t considering funding more if it was successful. Otherwise it’s all a bit short term.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I’d love to see a time-travel episode with them revisiting the events of a Series 1 / 2 story – Trials & Tribbleations style.

Nakrophile
    Participant

> I?d love to see a time-travel episode with them revisiting the events of a Series 1 / 2 story – Trials & Tribbleations style.

They could revisit the episode Kryten and someone could ask the actual Kryten why he looks so different, to which he should reply that it is a long story.

TheLeen
    Participant

Oh yes oh yes oh yes!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

They should revisit the episode Back to Rea…

OK, I’ll shut up for a bit.

Andrew
    Participant

> Maybe you should mention to Dave that it was a joke? ;o)

Indeed.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> They should revisit the episode Back to Rea? OK, I?ll shut up for a bit.

Hey! Things are looking up allready.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Bug up your arse still hasn’t died then, Karl?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Na. I don’t actually have any problem with you at all. I think some of your opinions are total bullshit granted, but they’re not the worst I’ve read recently on these forums. Besides I’m sure several people think the same of mine. Still those are just opinions, they make the world go round.

No, this time I just thought that one was too good to miss ;-)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Oh, OK. Fair enough.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

I despise you both.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Smeg off you dead git.

p.s To everyone! I do apologise for one thing and that’s the totally unacceptable use of the word ‘Homo’ as an insult. I spat a bit of venom in the spur of the moment and worringly that was the first sentence that came to mind. I’m far, far too camp to be homophobic. Still I do deeply regret that one little word.

p.p.s Still it’s fun to have a bit of incident sometimes isn’t it? Sod Googlefights. PP3 I’ll see on the heath behind the School at 5pm. My Dad’s going to kick your arse.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Naughty Word Deleted.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Dear God, why?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Why deleted or why in the first place?

If it’s the latter speak to Cappsy, if it’s the former then because someone needed to remove it and no one of the admin persuasion seemed to be doing it.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Oh, I see what’s happened now. Stupid editing-pushing-things-to-the-bottom-of-the-page bug.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Also deleted.

(Well, since I quoted it, it would be rude not to)

Wilbur
    Participant

Hang on! It’s still there in the apology!

fullmetalraz
    Participant

Time travelling to series one? Dear god unless it was impressive blue screen insertion into the original footage i don’t really see a 49 year old Chris Barrie trying to be a convincing 39 year old up the ziggurat lickety split in beige shirt and tie Rimmer. Also they’d never be able to recreate that classic set.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.