Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Final Space

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ben Saunders
    Participant

My mate has got me watching this Adult Swim cartoon called Final Space recently, very Rick & Morty (I have never seen Rick & Morty), like Star Trek: Lower Decks but it isn’t so overbearingly loud and zany and random that it makes me nauseous. Anyway, I was three episodes in when I thought wait a fucking minute. This has so many parallels to Red Dwarf.

There’s an idiotic space bum serving a prison sentence out in deep space who is kept “sane” by an artificial intelligence that drives him crazy, there’s a cat-person-alien, there’s an absent love interest he is obsessed with but who he’s barely spoken to (an alternate-universe/timeline version of which ends up joining the crew), and they all form a ragtag group of misfits stuck on one ship together. It’s not afraid to get very violent and very sad, which I like. Not the greatest show I’ve seen but it’s very watchable. Just wondered if anybody else had noticed.

Flap Jack
    Participant

I had no idea, Ben, thanks for spreading the info.

I see that Final Space was sadly cancelled after 36 episodes, so I guess this time we’ll never find out how the gang survived being blown up by their future selves.

Also, this can only be good news for Ganymede Dot TV. Any TV show that can be described as “similar or related to Red Dwarf” adds another month or 2 before they inevitably have to record a commentary for A Prince Among Men.

Kris Carter
    Participant

I’ve not seen the third season of Final Space yet, but the first two were fantastic bits of comedy sci-fi, and I thoroughly recommend them!

I watched the first series.  It was originally on Netflix (probably still is?) and enjoyed it enough.  But a bit like Rick and Morty got tired of the zaniness after a while, and with a bit of a wait between series 1 and 2, by the time series 2 rolled around I’d largely completely forgotten what was going on so watched an episode and gave up on it.

I’m honestly surprised it’s taken this long to come up on this sub, most here would enjoy it I’m sure.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Final Space was sadly cancelled after 36 episodes, so I guess this time we’ll never find out how the gang survived being blown up by their future selves.

Apparently the creator is looking to fund a movie/special to wrap things up but is having difficulty doing so (sound familiar?)

But a bit like Rick and Morty got tired of the zaniness after a while

Yeah, either it gets better for season two, or I’m just used to it at this point, haha. Not something I’d put on by myself at home, but definitely fun to watch stoned with a friend. I’ve not even finished season two but I’m already annoyed it was cancelled, because I find myself getting somewhat engaged in the plot and what’s going to happen to these characters.

I’m honestly surprised it’s taken this long to come up on this sub

I was surprised too, I did a search for it before making this thread because I expected it to be old news, but there was only one cursory mention of it on the whole forum!

Rudolph
    Participant

I enjoyed all three seasons of Final Space, and what I found interesting is that it organically grew into a solid sci-fi drama – whilst still having a lot of comedic moments – that dealt sensitively with concepts like loss, guilt and responsibility.

A minor spoiler, but a couple of episodes in the lead character loses his arm and has it replaced with a mechanical prosthetic. Not a million miles away from Future Lister having a similar amputation.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

The only time I have ever mentioned Final Space is in this very thread, and lo and behold Reddit picked up on it. They know too much.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.