Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    CackThosePants
    Participant
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

After the confused mess that was GTA IV, frankly anything would be an improvement. I want to like this, and I want to believe it’ll be better.

NoFro
    Participant

It sounds like it’ll be great. GTA IV just wasn’t as fun as San Andreas and Vice City; this sounds like it’s going be great and the fun in just driving/flying/cycling around an amazing and varied area is going to be restored. There really wasn’t a huge amount to do in Red Dead’s world but it was still great just riding across the plains, partially because of the “real world” events that they say they’ve now put into GTAV.

Unfortunately I’m not playing/buying videogames until I’ve finished Uni but there will be a nice backlog of games to get when I do finish. And by then they’ll all be considerably cheaper!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I think IV was the first one I played all the way through. It took me about 18 months of playing once a week and meant I had to deviate from my usual habit of just making car pile-ups at petrol-stations and attempting to create the biggest explosion ever ….but I got there.

Bought the add-on pack and gave up on it very quickly.

CackThosePants
    Participant

>After the confused mess that was GTA IV, frankly anything would be an improvement. I want to like this, and I want to believe it’ll be better.

How was it confused? Granted it was bit boring and bland compared to Vice City, SA – but a mess?? The multiplayer is still in the top 15 most played after 4 years…..4 YEARS!!!

V looks like it will be one of the greatest games ever made. Just a shame in some of the screenshots it shows this gen is holding Rockstar’s genius back.

* Fingers crossed for PC version later in 2013.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Tonally, GTA IV can’t decide what it wants to be. It’s trying to be a rock-hard gangster film in the mold of Scarface, Goodfellas and so on – as with most post-GTA3 entries in the series – but the problem is it’s set in the world of a Saturday Night Live sketch. Imagine how much impact The Godfather trilogy would have lost if, in every scene, there was a clown taking a shit in the background whilst pointing it at and saying “I’m doing a shit!”. That’s GTA IV.

Nowhere is this more apparent than the radio stations. The stations in GTA3 and Vice City (less so in San Andreas) were brilliantly written, genuinely funny, but also tried to remain as “real” as possible – namely, no swearing, or minimal swearing with DJs admonishing those who swear. GTA IV’s radio stations, meanwhile, were shit. The subtlety went out of the window, the swearing felt incredibly gratuitous, and it just felt like they weren’t even trying.

If the world and the story within it were consistent – if either the story was a little less gritty, or the world were a little less preposterous, I’d have no problem with it. They struck that balance really well in the GTA3 trilogy, but GTA IV felt phoned in.

CackThosePants
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vzue74y7A84&feature=plcp

If that doesn’t convince you I don’t know what will. Wish it was next gen though – graphics are a bit meh in places.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I’m actually really impressed how much they’ve squeezed out of this generation, although that’s assuming the graphics in the trailer haven’t been sweetened…

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

The problem with GTA is that with San Andreas it exploded in popularity with teenage boys who didn’t understand that the series has always meant to be a comedy – instead, they were just interested in the “gangster” aspects of it. I worked in a games shop when it came out, so I saw this audience (of largely white 14-year-old boys) first-hand. Hence, the overt seriousness of IV. Gay Tony was a step back in the right direction, but not completely.

GTA should not be serious. GTA is a great big massive piss-take. That’s why Vice City is the best game of the series by a quite considerable margin.

CackThosePants
    Participant

Vice is also my favourite. But this looks like not only the most fun GTA but probably the most fun game ever. I’m going to get drunk and ride a horse into downtown.

* In V not in real life.

John Hoare
    Participant

I dunno, though. I keep hearing GTA IV is overly-serious – and yet characters like Roman and Little Jacob have some of my favourite comedy moments in the whole of the series.

Agreed that Vice City is best, though.

CackThosePants
    Participant
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

I agree with Seb entirely. Vice City is definitely the peak of the franchise so far. IV felt like such a misstep.

mick
    Participant

I’ve not actually played any of the post-Vice City GTAs.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I bloody loved IV. I do agree that it could have done with taking itself a little less seriously, but the gameplay was still great, it looked lovely and I genuinely cared about the characters. Plus it was fucking massive, and then the DLC was even better. Ballad of Gay Tony might be my favourite individual GTA game ever. There was a point where I was on a helicopter, at the behest of Omid Djallili, sniping the chains that held up a tank suspended from a transporter, before parachuting down on to the tank and getting in, when a caption came up on the screen saying “Kill as many cops as possible to escape”. The most fun I’ve had in a game since I first turned Sonic into a shiny yellow bastard.

John Hoare
    Participant

I think Roman might be my single favourite character in any GTA game. The fat fuck.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Ballad of Gay Tony might be my favourite individual GTA game ever.

Ah, never got to this. Gave up very quickly on The Lost and Damned…mainly because I was sick of the motorbikes.

GTA IV and Fifa ’08 are pretty much the only things I’ve ever played in any depth on my Xbox.

si
    Participant

I don’t tend to play computer games these days, in order to avoid the risk of brain implosion, but I remember loving the original GTA and GTA London, with it’s amusing overhead views and whatnot. Ah, nostalgia.

pfm
    Participant

All they need to do is combine the huge step up in visuals and game mechanics, brought in for IV, with the sheer unadulterated fun of Vice City and San Andreas. Simple…

The trailer bodes extremely well.

Phil
    Participant

nm can’t post pics

Ridley
    Participant

>The most fun I’ve had in a game since I first turned Sonic into a shiny yellow bastard.

Joke copyright Ridley 2012

pfm
    Participant

I’ve been playing San Andreas for the first time in years and, heck, it feels so basic. It makes me realise how colossal a step up IV really was in terms of gameplay and certainly visually.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’m replaying Vice City, and while it’s visually not particularly impressive these days (GTA3 was the game that convinced me to get a PS2 back in the day…) it’s miles ahead in terms of execution.

CackThosePants
    Participant

I’ve just been playing.

takerdemon
    Participant

Am I the only person in the world that really disliked GTA when it moved from top down to 3D? I just found myself wandering aimlessly and when a mission popped up, it really wasn’t that interesting so I went back to aimlessly driving around.

Perhaps I’m just a sucker for retro gaming. That being said, I echo Mister Capps sentiments about this generation of consoles, they’ve been very impressive.

pfm
    Participant

I like Rockstar’s comments that the current generation is still capable of so much more. They’re so right about that. The PS3’s power has hardly ever been fully tapped. GTA5 looks like it’s gonna push everything to the limit.

CackThosePants
    Participant

> Am I the only person in the world that really disliked GTA when it moved from top down to 3D?

I remember in GTA III they still let you look from above. Would like that to come back for V. No chance though.

> The PS3′s power has hardly ever been fully tapped. GTA5 looks like it’s gonna push everything to the limit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhsTmiK7Q2M

takerdemon
    Participant

> I remember in GTA III they still let you look from above. Would like that to come back for V. No chance though.

News to me! How did I miss that? Still, I think I’ve missed the GTA party now. I’ve got plenty of unopened games that I need to crack on with anyway.

Oh and for anyone wondering Playstation Plus is an utter bargain! I can’t get through all the content they barrage us with! Not enough hours in the day!

NoFro
    Participant

Playstation Plus is incredible value for money. I got it after an unfortunate loss of data when a previous Playstation broke (despite hard drive back ups) and so primarily for it’s online storage majig. Anyway they always seem to be putting up free downloads of great games and, though I’m not playing games currently, I’m downloading them all for when I have the time to start playing again.

beckufreak
    Participant

My first proper post on this forum and I think it’s fairly apt that it is in this thread. (Capps knows!)

I LOVE GTA. All of them… every single one. My favourite, by far, is Vice City. Tommy Vercetti is the best main character… none of the others come close. Maybe it comes down to the fact that he was the first with an “actual personality”, and a great one at that. I love a sarcastic bastard! Hell, I’m one myself :p He was a proper bad boy, was Tommy… *swoons*

Like Seb says, GTA isn’t to be taken seriously. It’s a massive piss take… I love that! It was all the subtle details and jokes of GTA III that initially started my love affair with the games, from radio stations to billboard. Yeah, I had played GTA and GTA 2 before it, but it was 3 that properly kick started my obsession.

As for GTA V, I think it reads like it will be AMAZING! I was worried initially when they announced it would be set in Los Santos. The area previously featured in San Andreas, which is my least favourite of all the games and the one I have completed the fewest times. But having seen screens and read articles and interviews, I’m now very excited. Giddy, in fact! The fact that the map will be bigger than GTA V, San Andreas and Red Dead COMBINED! This includes wilderness (with wildlife), small towns, and underwater caves!! And, most importantly, taxi missions are back (apparently!!).

Oh why oh why do we have to wait so long? ;)

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Hello, Beck! This is Beck, everyone.

CackThosePants
    Participant

Anyone double dipping for V? I’m getting it on PS3 and PC (hopefully late in 2013)

pfm
    Participant

I’ve recently rediscovered how it feels to be halfway across the map and then…..’You’re hood is under attack!’ *arrrrrghh* :P

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’ve double-dipped for every GTA game to date, including IV (though obviously in that case I wish I hadn’t, and I didn’t bother with the expansions at all).

beckufreak
    Participant

I always waited for the PC versions, until IV. Then I bought my xbox 360 especially for it. I also bought the PC version for a tenner quite a bit after it’s release, but I never got it working on my PC. Doesn’t sound like I have missed much though.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Rockstar have long since stopped giving a shit about the PC. The IV port was apparently technically awful and now they’re not even bothering to confirm a PC release for V.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It needs to be on the PC, purely for the modding possibilities.

beckufreak
    Participant

They have, more or less, said they’ll be a PC version… Eventually. I think they’ve given in to the pressure of PC gamers and the demand for modding.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I don’t think Rockstar are giving in to pressure of any sort – if they were going to do that we’d have a PC version of Red Dead Redemption by now. GTA’s PC releases have become something of a tradition, and with the exception of GTA IV they’re usually the best version of the game.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

they’re usually the best version of the game.

Barely, though. The PS2 era titles were decent enough on PC, but the horrid memory management issues – cars appearing out of no where, and a shocking lack of persistence – that just shouldn’t be an issue on PC, always soured them for me.

I think the pressure thing is valid, though. If anything, the tack they’ve taken with Red Dead shows what they really want to do – cut the PC out of the equation entirely. Right now, pressure from the PC community, spurred on the righteousness you only get with a franchise that actually *started* on PC, is likely to be the only motivation left for them to port the PC version. If IV is anything to go by, they certainly don’t have their heart in it any more.

CackThosePants
    Participant

RDR was made by a different studio within Rockstar. V like the other GTA’s before it is being made in Edinburgh at their HQ. Probably come out on PC late 2013 like IV did. Let’s just hope it isn’t a crappy port. I’ve heard good things about Max Payne 3’s PC version.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Yeah, I think the team doing Max Payne made a point in pre-publicity that they were going to put special effort into the PC port. Eidos Montreal also did a superb job on the new Deus Ex game. Sadly, though, good PC ports are fairly rare.

beckufreak
    Participant

Well they’ve gone from probably no PC version, to may do a PC version, to expect a PC version at some point. The only way I can see that final decision being made is by pressure from the PC gamers. They’re not going to make it without the demand, especially if they’re not really that fussed about it any more. I always preferred the PC versions, until my lack of patience forced me to buy an xbox… that, and the fact that it was probably cheaper for me to buy an xbox than upgrade my PC.

CackThosePants
    Participant

Pedobear in GTA IV.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.