Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Information about new series from a cast member who's probably wrong, pt #87249

Viewing 34 posts - 101 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    clem
    Participant

The audience reaction in VIII is sweetened a bit, isn’t it? A while ago somebody here pointed out a certain laugh that crops up again and again.

I watched M-Corp the other night and was irritated by the whooping at Cat dancing into the sleeping quarters. Or is that in Skipper? I watched that as well.

Dax101
    Participant

It seems like maybe because the cast are so aware of the shows popularity and because of the fans critical opinion on series 7,8 and BTE they don’t wanna risk undermining it, and so try to push to be funnier and often come across very broad.

Craig has said in interviews in the past that the more serious you play it the funnier it is and i do agree with that.

There are times when broad performances are fun to see but i think it needs to be well balanced in order to work.

Danny’s performance in Can of Worms was very broad to the point that its probably the silliest the cat has ever been.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Danny has a lot of extremely broad “yyeeeooowwwwww!!!” entrances in the Dave era, most followed by a round of applause. It’s like an episode of Two and a Half Men when the celebrity guest star appears. Or VI when Duane Dibbley appears, except numerous times per series.

I’m probably overstating it and it’s only happened two or three times but it feels like half the time.

Whether to play it straight or not depends entirely on the gag at hand. Some of Rimmer’s best moments are pretty heightened, I’d say, though few are over the top. Kryten as well gets away with a lot in that regard.

I do get the feeling in the early series that Craig and Chris are attempting to one-up eachother, and that actually helps with the comedy, so I don’t quite get why now they all like each other and want to aid rather than upstage, it all feels broader. I wonder what an episode would look like if you gave them an audience who laughed, but not as raucously, and how it would affect their performances.

VII was written and filmed in such a different way that it undoubtedly affected their performances, which meant that by VIII, it was five years since they’d played to the audience. That combined with the lukewarm response to the more ‘serious’ aspects of VII, make it unsurprising that the performances in VIII were bigger and more cartoonish.

(deleted)
    Participant

They say cockroaches will be the only ones left standing after a nuclear holocaust. I disagree – I think it will be arguments about how Red Dwarf VIII was too pantomime.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

There are arguments?

Dax101
    Participant

>I do get the feeling in the early series that Craig and Chris are attempting to one-up eachother, and that actually helps with the comedy, so I don’t quite get why now they all like each other and want to aid rather than upstage, it all feels broader. I wonder what an episode would look like if you gave them an audience who laughed, but not as raucously, and how it would affect their performances.

Since they were young actors at the time maybe they were also trying to put more effort into their acting also while now days they are middle age and put more effort into trying to be youthful and funny.

But then i think some of this is Doug also since if you look back at the early shows Rob and Doug used to be more strict on the levels of silly they put into the show and that may be slightly gone now.

I feel a character like Ziggy would never have been in the early shows

bloodteller
    Blocked

>I feel a character like Ziggy would never have been in the early shows

yeah, Ziggy feels like a character that exists solely to take the piss out of certain groups (quite which ones i’m not sure- what were they going for here?) which i don’t think the show ever really did in I-VIII.

flanl3
    Participant

There ARE examples of pamtomimey acting in I-VI (jeep… sleep), but they are much fewer and father between.

…your father is dad?

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Yeah I watched bits of that the other day, some with the sound off, and Craig is a bit wonky there. Stumbles over his lines multiple times in the observation dome. You -could- argue some bullshit that it makes the performance feel naturalistic and less rehearsed, but that’s only because you like it.

Moonlight
    Participant

The audience reaction in VIII is sweetened a bit, isn’t it? A while ago somebody here pointed out a certain laugh that crops up again and again.

That was me. And that laugh can be heard across VII, VIII and Remastered.

And I swear I heard it in Bottom.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

(SINGING) “I’m tyin’ my dog to the railroad track, choo choo train’s gonna break his back…”

Me Own Stunts
    Participant

> And I swear I heard it in Bottom.

One Foot in the Grave too, I think.

Moonlight
    Participant

Actually I’m hearing a lot of laughter in Bottom that sounds suspiciously like the clearly stock laughter used to sweeten VIII’s audience and help edit VII’s into proper shape to fit the show’s timing.

Did they really only have like seven of these stock laughs? I swear throughout VII I hear the same couple laughs over and over, most notably that obnoxious “ha HA Ha ha”.

bloodteller
    Blocked

seven stock laughs are cheaper than seventy stock laughs

Dax101
    Participant

I have always been confused about the remastered version of Bodyswap because the audience track is certainly not the same one as the original. so i wonder where it came from or where it was shown to get that version.

MANI506
    Participant

The original version of Bodyswap was sweetened because the toffee crisp deserved a bigger laugh and the remastered version is a closer representation of the genuine reaction. That’s how I’ve always seen it anyway.

Moonlight
    Participant

It could have been a second take reaction. Either way it’s a change that’s annoyingly confusing.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

‘Bodyswap’ was filmed without a studio audience to make it easier for the voice dubbing. Presumably that’s what made it easier for them to edit in a new laugh track for the remastered edition.

Dax101
    Participant

The laughter track is very toned down.

Moonlight
    Participant

Was Bodyswap filmed entirely without an audience or was it just mostly VT?

bloodteller
    Blocked

if i recall correctly, it’s entirely without an audience.

Warbodog
    Participant

Some of it was the first III filmed, I never knew what order they filmed the rest.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Most of the location filming was done first – backwards Earth, various industrial Red Dwarf locations etc.- but the filming order in the studio was:

Marooned (05.09.89)
    Timeslides (12.09.89)
    Backwards (19.09.89)
    Bodyswap (26.09.89)
    Polymorph (04.10.89)
    The Last Day (11.10.89)

Warbodog
    Participant

Thanks! Looks like that information’s on the official site where any Munchkin could find it. To make up for the laziness, here are the rest (up to X where TOS ends). Lots of things I never knew.

I

The End
    Recorded: 27.09.1987

Balance of Power
    Recorded: 04.10.1987

Waiting for God
    Recorded: 11.10.1987

Future Echoes
    Recorded: 18.10.1987

Confidence and Paranoia
    Recorded: 25.10.1987

Me2
    Recorded: 01.11.1987

II

Better Than Life
    Recorded: 29.05.1988

Thanks For The Memory
    Recorded: 05.06.1988

Stasis Leak
    Recorded: 12.06.1988

Kryten
    Recorded: 19.06.1988

Parallel Universe
    Recorded: 26.06.1988

Queeg
    Recorded: 03.07.1988
    (Norm’s final line made slightly tragic)

IV

Justice
    Recorded: 15.11.1990

Dimension Jump
    Recorded: 22.11.1990

Meltdown
    Recorded: 29.11.1990

Camille
    Recorded: 6.12.1990

White Hole
    Recorded: 13.12.1990

DNA
    Recorded: 20.12.1990
    (Origin of the notion that Kryten still being human was supposed to be a cliffhanger?)

V

Demons and Angels
    Recorded: 01.11.1991

The Inquisitor
    Recorded: 8.11.1991

Holoship
    Recorded: 15.11.1991

Terrorform
    Recorded: 22.11.1991

Quarantine
    Recorded: 29.11.1991

Back to Reality
    Recorded: 06.12.1991

VI

The same apart from Rimmerworld being recorded between Legion and Gunmen, so the Simulants returned before they appeared, obviously not the intended order

VII

No data

VIII

Back in the Red – Part 1 & 2
    Recorded: 28.09.1998

Cassandra
    Recorded: 05.10.1998

Pete – Part 1
    Recorded: 12.10.1998

Only the Good…
    Recorded: 09.11.1998

Krytie TV
    Recorded: 16.11.1998

Pete – Part 2
    Recorded: 23.11.1998

Back in the Red – Part 3
    Recorded: 30.11.1998

X

CORRECT ORDER

Dave
    Participant

Origin of the notion that Kryten still being human was supposed to be a cliffhanger?

I think Man In The Rubber Mask discusses the idea that it wasn’t clear even to the cast whether Kryten would stay human from that point onwards or not, and it being a disappointment when Series V rolled around that he was going to have to don the mask again.

Although that may have been exaggerated for comic effect.

VIII

Bloody hell, I never knew that. What a nightmare.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

A Back in the Red Original Assembly and Pete Original Assembly might be interesting. But then it might not.

bloodteller
    Blocked

You can see all the stuff shot for the hour-long edition of Back In The Red on VIII’s deleted scenes, if you’re interested. there’s some decent stuff in there that really shouldn’t have been cut out

bloodteller
    Blocked

i suppose just viewing the individual scenes doesn’t really give an idea of how it originally would’ve all gone together though

Warbodog
    Participant

Out of all of them, I like the recording order of IV best. Justice is a good opener in the same way Give and Take wasn’t, but there’s the possible error of Kryten not having learned to lie yet. Meltdown coming before Camille works, since Kryten’s still Bodyswap-subservient to Rimmer and not able to disobey him yet.

I’d swap the last two to end stronger and on a laugh with White Hole. DNA coming later than Dimension Jump might be confusing if you haven’t seen maskless Bobby yet, or it could be seen as a callback and tease for the series “cliffhanger”.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’m not the hugest fan of White Hole but it would be a great series finale.

Moonlight
    Participant

ou can see all the stuff shot for the hour-long edition of Back In The Red on VIII’s deleted scenes, if you’re interested. there’s some decent stuff in there that really shouldn’t have been cut out

The original non-salute version of Rimmer in the captain’s office opening Part 2 is so reserved and underplayed it’s hard to believe it’s Series VIII.

MANI506
    Participant

When I first saw that deleted scene (and the original ending to Only The Good…) I was pissed off that it wasn’t in the broadcast show, I think the scenes as broadcast do fit better tonally with the rest of VIII though.

Viewing 34 posts - 101 through 134 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.