Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Lister’s triple fried egg sandwich with chili sauce and chutney

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    TheLeen
    Participant

Heya!

Sitting around here having nothing to do got me thinking about sanwiches. Here’s something I never figured out. Maybe you native speakers can help me out.

Does “triple fried egg sandwich” mean, uh, “triple (fried egg) sandwich” or “(triple egg) sandwich” or “(triple sandwich)”… sandwich with three slices of bread and an unspecified number of randomly fried eggs, sandwich with three eggs of the fried kind or sandwich with eggs which have been thoroughly fried three times? This ALWAYS BUGGED ME.

Greetings from Hungary.

Marleen.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I took it to mean x3 Fried Egg.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Yeah, me too. A great recipe for constipation, I should think…

ChrisM
    Participant

I tend to make them with 3 slices of bread, and an egg between the slices(i.e. 2 eggs)… although triple egg certainly suggests 3 eggs. I think I read it described that way once, but I might be wrong.

Either way, a nice and tasty sandwich.

Reminds me… we seem to be out of hot pepper sauce in our household. (I did try it with just the mango chutney, and that was rather good too. Not as good without the heat though.)

Andrew
    Participant

The sandwich in the show has three slices of bread, which suggests ‘triple sandwich’.

Craig’s delivery (which implies ‘three eggs’ to me) may differ from what was intended on the page…as may the work of the prop department. So who can say for sure?

Phil
    Participant

Is it something to do with ham salad?

hummingbird
    Participant

I always thought it meant 3 slices of bread with 2 eggs.

The chilli sauce is important, though. I go for West Indian Hot Pepper Sauce, although Tabasco can be substituted at a push. And plenty of it.
    Does anyone have any preference for chutney?

Aplologies for typos tonihgt. Had a glas or two of chilled Sancerre.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

2 slices, 3 eggs, for me…

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Aplologies for typos tonihgt. Had a glas or two of chilled Sancerre.

You’re an animal, don’t you realise it’s red wine with typos?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Three slices, with three eggs between each slice (SIX EGGS).

I jest of course, but thast doesn’t stop me wanting it right now.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It’s either three eggs, or A BIG EGG.

Dave
    Participant

Threggs

peas_and_corn
    Participant

WHen I made one it was an egg between each bread section, with fruit chutney and chopped chilli (as I’m not a huge fan of sweet chilli sauce- distracts away from the chilli)

Mr Flibble
    Participant

I always took it to mean three bread, two eggs.

Baz
    Participant

Sandwich = Two slices and one filling.

Double sandwich = Three slices and two fillings.

Hence triple sandwich = Four slices and three fillings.

So I’d say it’s three eggs. Threggs indeed. What chutney though? Knowing Lister I’d suggest it’s mango chutney.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

^A pretty valid point, there.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Baz has got it…

I find his reasoning hard to argue with.

Also, this thread has made me hungry.

ChrisM
    Participant

So mine was a double then. Double sandwich I mean, I’m not ordering a double triple….

Actually a triple would be a bit too much for to handle I reckon. Although probably not that hard…

The sandwich Rimmer eats certainly has 3 slices of bread though (although I agree that’s descriptively wrong… unless it’s the eggs that be triplicated of course.

Incidentally, can the triplicator be use for such things? Imagine that, one ordinary egg…. one extra special and one to pelt at your least fave mate.

Time to raise shields methinks.

Baz
    Participant

Yes, the “Triple” may be referring to the eggs. Ideally each egg would have a slice of bread facing the yolk side to soak it up, so the structure would be bread, egg (yolk down), egg (yolk up), bread, egg (yolk up), bread, with chilli sauce and chutney as the fancy takes you. Three eggs and three slices as seen on TV.

Partial to a fried egg and cheese sandwich with brown sauce myself, though fish finger, cheese and brown sauce is better.

A banana sandwich, on the other hand, has to be mashed, not sliced, with no sugar or jam or peanut butter, on buttered bread (preferably brown). Nearly caused a holy war in university once over what was considered the right way to make a banana sandwich.

The BEST sandwich, however, involves myself, the Olson twins, a motel room and half a dozen cans of squirty cream.

hummingbird
    Participant

>What chutney though? Knowing Lister I?d suggest it?s mango chutney.

I’ve always found it a little too sweet for this.
    I’d go for good ol’ Branston (other chutneys are avaiable), the sandwich variety for ease of spreading.

Similarly with the chilli sauce – a sweet chilli sauce doesn’t work.
    And you need something with a decent kick to it.

>A banana sandwich, on the other hand, has to be mashed, not sliced, with no sugar or jam or peanut butter, on buttered bread (preferably brown).

Has *got* to be brown.
    Otherwise, agreed.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Oh, I’m almost certain mango chutney was the way to go. The sweetness counteracts the chilli sauce and egg beautifully.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Like a chocolate-covered pretzel…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

*Exactly* like Father Bigley. Er, I mean a chocolate covered pretzel.

Dave
    Participant

“Banana and crisp?”

But which flavour?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I think prawn cocktail would go well. Or banana flavour.

ChrisM
    Participant

Mango chutney definitely. (I hardly ever eat mango chutney actually, but love it with this.) Goes so well with the eggs.

I liked sweet Thai Chilli sauce with it, but I’ve also found that West Indian Hot Pepper sauce, and the extra hot pepper sauce (but be careful with that one.) go well.

As for the eggs, I’m not keen on the dripping etc. I tend to flip em, although they taste better if they’re a bit soft.

Oh, yes brown bread for bananas. Although I tend to have bananas on toast rather than the sandwiches. I.e. toast one side of the bread under the grill. Flip it and spread the sliced ‘nana over it, and stick it under the grill until the ‘nana goes brown. (Only problem is I’ve notice the nana and bread seems to cook at different rates….) Slightly burnt tastes good too though. (Although I’ve heard that can lead to cancer, but I think that’s a loada paranoid rubbish myself.)

hummingbird
    Participant

>?Banana and crisp??
    But which flavour?

Ready salted?
    The saltiness would go well with the sweetness of the banana.

White or brown bread? Buttered?

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> White or brown bread? Buttered?

Brown for main, white for pudding.

Dave
    Participant

>Brown for main, white for pudding

“What we don’t want to know is where is he keeping the sweet”

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I’ve got indigestion just looking at this thread.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Has anyone submitted this to walkers crisps find a new flavour competition yet?

And If we did, would GNP sue?

peas_and_corn
    Participant

They did a similar thing recently in Australia. Gravy flavour won.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.