Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Local News on Alan Partridge Movie filming (Possible spoilers)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jonsmad
    Participant

I couldn’t help but be amused today watching my local news, although i’m far from Norwhich, I’m just inside the transmission area for the local ITV region that covers there. And up pops a local news man stalking Steve Coogan, as the film is shooting out that way currently, and they are desperate to sequeway from the Oscars coverage into a local angle!

The amount of Steve Coogan in the bulletin, and the distance from which they are stalking the star, I found funny, as they settle for talking instead to a producer on the film, a shop local, and a bloke carrying a football gnome! around on a day out photographing the gnome. WTF? ha ha.

For a character from The Day to Day, to be in (however much in the background) a news bulletin that most excitingly announces its best efforts with “There are rumours there will be helicopter here tomorrow” and does
    so without any sense of the irony of their news making or of quite why this sedate area is thought of as an amusing place for media London types to mock in the way they have as not the centre of much, is just well “unbelieveable, this country”

http://www.itv.com/news/anglia/story/2013-02-25/alan-partridge-on-location/

And yet. in distant rehearsal long shots, Im still loving the character even this smallest glimpse makes me chuckle and I cant wait to see what this partridge on the pier moment is all about in the final film.

Ridley
    Participant

Ooh, what was that? Too late!

Interesting that it’s Radio Norwich and not North Norfolk Digital…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Sorry, I broke the internet again.

Phil
    Participant

>Interesting that it’s Radio Norwich and not North Norfolk Digital…

Maybe it’s meant to be a feature length documentary on his entire career or something, touching upon some of the things he’s done previously? In one of the pictures it looks like he has darker hair than “currently.”

Whatever it is I want it now.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Interesting that it’s Radio Norwich and not North Norfolk Digital…

Doesn’t mean he’s working for them. They could just be reporting on what’s happening…

takerdemon
    Participant

All I ask is that Geordie Michael is heavily featured

Jonsmad
    Participant

>Maybe it’s meant to be a feature length documentary on his entire career

Maybe. Don’t think so though. Little I heard was it was about something happening to his radio station, so sounded like it’s set mostly now in his life period. I think the sidekick guy from the last radio online series is in it, and possibly Lynn.

Phil
    Participant

Only dawned on me now that this movie will have a soundtrack.

And it will automatically be the best soundtrack of the year.

MANI506
    Participant

In the audio book Alan claims that popular music died around about the time of Arthur 2 – On The Rocks.

Ridley
    Participant

the audio book

Slowly making my way through I, Partridge, the only audiobook I own. That Alan says “gayman” reaffirms my belief that How Not To Live Your Life could have been a Fernando Partridge spin-off.

This was worth bumping the thread, yes. Can’t put it on Twitter, people realise that they’re following me for no discernible reason.

Ridley
    Participant

So… Alpha Papa is what Alan looks like when he’s happy in life. They didn’t mention that in the trailer.

Alex
    Participant

I went to the BFI preview screening of Alpha Papa and Armando was asked about that afterwards. He basically said that if you thought the Alan we see at the start or the end of the film was a happy one then you weren’t looking deep enough. In terms of the end for example, he said that we should question where Alan has gotten the money for a boat from.

Ridley
    Participant

I was thinking of the start. He seems to have grown comfortable with his lot until events nudge him so what am I missing? The line about his kids?

Ridley
    Participant

BFI preview screening of Alpha Papa and Armando

This?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>He seems to have grown comfortable with his lot until events nudge him so what am I missing? The line about his kids?

There’s also the fact that he’s clearly still repressed (hence the scene where he’s on his laptop in the shed).

Alex
    Participant

Yep that’s the one, though it’s far from being the whole interview and excludes the Q&A where the question came up.

I think the thing is that Alan has often believed himself to be happy in his own skin, despite whatever new depth his career/ personal life has sunk to. Part of the joy of IAP series 2 is seeing an Alan that has (for the most part) bought into his own story of having bounced back despite the fact that he clearly hasn’t.

By Mid Morning Matters you have Alan as he is in Alpha Papa basically, but his situation is far from stable. He’s now on a digital station that only covers North Norfolk and judging by the chapters on it in ‘I, Partridge’ his job is far from secure. You also have an Alan who is getting older and possibly reaching the end of his career. Again, it’s touched on in the book, but the whole fact he and Pat are the two up for being fired in the film acts as a reminder of that.

pfm
    Participant

He’s not real, you know…:p

I really enjoyed the film, I’m tempted to use the word “immensely” but someone will accuse me of exaggeration. I’m not an exaggerator, it’s one of the many styles I do not have. The most recurring criticism I’ve seen can be summed up as “it’s not like the TV shows, its too much like a film”. I think it was the Financial Times that complained that the plot was very basic and generic, but in my opinion the plot of a movie where the main character is Alan Partridge sort of needs to be. It’s not about what’s going on, it’s about how Alan reacts.

The last bit with Michael was probably my favourite gag, along with Alan and Pat’s reactions. My favourite thing about the film in general, though, is probably Colm Meaney, but I’m a huge fan of his anyway because of the Barrytown trilogy films.

And DS9, probably.

NoFro
    Participant

Just watched it for the second time and think I enjoyed it even more. The cinema was a lot fuller this time which was nice. Wish there was a bit more Michael, he got some of the biggest laughs.

NoFro
    Participant

Just watched it for the second time and think I enjoyed it even more. The cinema was a lot fuller this time which was nice. Wish there was a bit more Michael; he got some of the biggest laughs.

NoFro
    Participant

Triple post.

MANI506
    Participant

Lost count of how many times I laughed. Classic Alan. It’s also got the cringe factor back.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> My favourite thing about the film in general, though, is probably Colm Meaney

Agree with this bit. I enjoyed it, not as much as some. I found it a bit hit and miss overall and didn’t like some of the direction. I thought Meaney was excellent throughout though and provided some proper acting chops.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.