Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Michael Jackson has died

Viewing 69 posts - 1 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    Pete Part Three
    Participant

Fuck.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

This is going to be unbearable.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Twitter and LiveJournal are both broken.

But fucking hell, come on, seriously, this is a big deal. He is (was) the most famous person in the world throughout most of our generation’s lifetimes.

p2p_productions
    Participant

Wow, wasn’t expecting that. ‘Thriller’ is still the greatest music video of all time, IMO. Great song too. Unbelievable talent with so many great productions over the years.

NoFro
    Participant

Shit. I was just at my end of school leavers ball and reports came through, and though it was later found out that he had just been hospitalised, he has now sadly passed on.

When the first reports came through, people told the DJ immediately. An undeniably important moment in music history. He lead a controversial life, but it’s undeniable that one of the greats has died.

The DJ’s reaction was to announce it to the room and then, as requested, he played a mix of his classics to a crowd who weren’t even born when most of the songs came out. It was brilliant being able to sing a dance to his classics with 160 people. A fitting tribute I feel. His music was made to make people dance and we did sing, dance and go wild to all those great songs.

R.I.P.

Andrew
    Participant

I went to see the Thriller Live tribute show only a couple of weeks ago, and had tickets for the coming tour. Bad was the first album I ever bought, Leave Me Alone the first single. His music’s place in my teenage years was – and remains on my iPod and on the video/DVD shelf – huge. I am, without apology, hugely saddened.

NitroChrisUK
    Participant

have always been a big big fan and enjoyed his music always .. this has come as such a terrible shock. and it is a real shame to hear people saying nasty things about this news already. hope people show some respect.

R.I.P

Holy shit. I can’t believe it. He was the first performer I saw live. I’ll be watching the news all night now.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Between Jacko, Farrah Fawcett and the rumour that Jeff Goldblum has fallen and died in New Zealand, coupled with the death of my Xbox 360’s HD-DVD drive today, it seems the opportunity for a thread titled “Everybody’s dead, Dave” was ripe.

Pity.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

At first I thought that there was the smallest possibility that it could be a publicity stunt, given his track record, I had my doubts. However, it’s true and although I cannot vouch for his behaviour, but his music changed the face of pop music.

I was really looking forward to seeing the potential of the new tour, and it could have been spectacular. Now we’ll never know…

Wilbur
    Participant

Well, I hate to be the first nay-sayer, but I was severely doubting the potential of this tour. An entertainer who has presented nothing of note for over 20 years with chronicled health and financial problems announces a huge string of tour dates with a lot of doubt over his physical capacity to meet the demands, I think the big question was how many will he make rather than how spectacular will they be. Given the choice between risking my money on Axl Rose of Michael Jackson, I have to say I’d have gone for a GnR show…

Yes, he did change the face of music, and I really hope he’ll be remembered for that rather than the later circus of his life. Hopefully he can RIP

pfm
    Participant

It’s gonna be a while before this one sinks in. The last couple of weeks I’ve actually been listening to the Dangerous and Bad albums quite a bit. Do yourself a favour and put Jam on really loud, no matter what time it is!

I know a couple of people who have tickets for the O2 shows, one of them who just ordered them two days ago! Even though I wasn’t going I couldn’t wait to see what happened, footage from the shows, what songs he did. For fuck’s sake…just think of all the people working on the shows now out of a job.

A brilliant, strange, tragic, eccentric, insane, talented, diseased, bad, dangerous, invincible (er, strike that one…) nutjob artist of world reknown. 750 million albums says it all. Thriller, of course, being the most popular, and yet it’s easily the weakest of his 6 solo records IMO.

I wish it was another one of his big jokes but it blatantly isn’t. Bastard (the news, not him).

ChrisM
    Participant

>the rumour that Jeff Goldblum has fallen and died in New Zealand

You might have read this already but, just in case…:
    http://screencrave.com/2009-06-25/report-jeff-goldblum-has-died/

And yes, certainly a shame comcerning Michael Jackson. I can’t say I was much of a fan, but I certainly liked some of him music. I do feel a bit shocked. He was only 50 too. My Dad’s older than that. (Trust my mind to go morbid..)

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Relieved that Jeff Goldblum is still alive, and feel a bit sad about Jacko, because his talent did get buried under the damaging effects of his early fame, and now he’ll never get the chance to go out on a high. I haven’t been a fan for years, but he did have a major effect on my childhood, just as he did for many others of my age. Stephen Fry’s Twitter post seemed to sum it up in his own inimitable way; “Goodness. Michael Jackson. Poor old soul. Oh dear.”

Someone on another forum put it well too; ‘Having got enough, he stopped.’ It really seems to sum up the decline in his later life.

SkyAndSun
    Participant

:(

Baz
    Participant

My first thought was “How could they tell?” My second was “Bit much to get out of doing the O2 gig.”

Yes he was a talented performer. Yes his songs made a great impact on the field of popular music. Yes he was a very very mixed up individual.

si
    Participant

I woke up this morning and my sister told me, and my first thought was ‘Bit much to get out of the gigs’ as well.

But overall, my reaction is one of shock.

I’ve always been a fan. Sadly I can’t listen to ‘Jam’ because I gave all my Jacko albums to my cousin about ten years ago, when he wasn’t considered ‘cool’ anymore – I’ve got a ‘Bad’ CD, ‘Leave Me Alone’ on a 7″ single, and that’s about it.

The Sun have gone with ‘JACKO DEAD’ this morning – sensitive as ever…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

The Metro obviously went home early yesterday, as their headline was about some woman who invented taps, or something.

Alex
    Participant

This is going to be unbearable.

Agreed. As someone who never really cared for the man or his music it’s going to be a long few days (or more likely weeks and months) of media coverage.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

I’m rather pissed off that my brother’s first thought was “I’m gonna be rich”.

He’d bought tickets to see one of Jacko’s gigs that has now, obviously, been cancelled. Apparently rich dickheads are buying up tickets for thousands. My brother believes there’s a collectors market.

Wilbur
    Participant

>it?s going to be a long few days (or more likely weeks and months) of media coverage.

True, but the media aren’t renowned for showing care and compassion when there’s a story in the way. I’d imagine there is a team of press archaeologists going through his closets right now.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>The Metro obviously went home early yesterday, as their headline was about some woman who invented taps, or something.

Groan.

She’d been relegated to about page 7 in later editions.

Alex
    Participant

True, but the media aren?t renowned for showing care and compassion when there?s a story in the way. I?d imagine there is a team of press archaeologists going through his closets right now.

Oh i don’t doubt that’ll be the case, but as i said, not caring for him much it’s the sum of the coverage (rather than the angle thhatt it takes) that I am not looking forward to.

ChrisM
    Participant

Don’t worry. That’s what remote controls, DVDs and videos are for.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> Agreed. As someone who never really cared for the man or his music it?s going to be a long few days (or more likely weeks and months) of media coverage.

Oh, I loved Michael Jackson as much as the next kid of the 70s or 80s and I’m not going to object to a large amount of coverage. It’s just these days the coverage goes way too far. Even last night BBC News actually broke the news to Uri Gellar that he had died (while reports were still mixed) while they were conducting an interview with him. Brilliant.

ChrisM
    Participant

True. I turned on BBC1 today and two people were discussing Jackson’s death in what a presumed to be a news programme. On checking further it turned out to be Wimbledon!

pfm
    Participant
    Pete Part Three
    Participant

How long before that gets a re-release?

hummingbird
    Participant

Apparently Doctor Who was with MJ when he collapsed(!) http://twitpic.com/8hj3i

courtesy of http://twitter.com/joemcd

ChrisM
    Participant

Soap operas are usually filmed days (possibly weeks, I don’t know much about this stuff) before they’re aired right?

I was watching Eastenders* and a couple of the characters brought it up! It was just a small scene so no doubt they filmed it today matching em up in the same clothes. I thought that was pretty impressive though.

John Hoare
    Participant

I was watching Eastenders* and a couple of the characters brought it up! It was just a small scene so no doubt they filmed it today matching em up in the same clothes. I thought that was pretty impressive though.

That is seriously, amazingly, brilliant.

Pete Part Three
    Participant
    Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Shocked when I heard the news, and I didn’t believe my flatmate when he told me until I switched on News 24. Fucking hell, still a shock.

I was never a huge Michael Jackson fan, but I remember him being around all of my life, and witnessing his last sad years through the news. He was a deeply troubled man, no one can argue that. But he was also one of the biggest cultural icons of the 20th Century. His music was groundbreaking, and his dancing was ASTOUNDING, and that’s what I’ve always admired him for. He fused disparate sorts of music together and paved the way for modern music. At his height, he was a sensation.

I saw (one of the many, many, many) Michael Jackson interviews on News 24 with Mica Paris, and Jeremy Vine kept trying to talk it round to the sex abuse allegations, whilst she rightly said that he was never found guilty of those. And besides any controversy over that side of his life, he must be remembered for what he WAS, not what he became in later life. Spooky that his final tour was to be called ‘This Is It,’ because… this is it.

And re: the EastEnders episode tonight, that little reference caught me by surprise too.

TheLeen
    Participant

I saw it on the news this morning before work.

It was a bit surreal. Hard to believe. It was the same when Diana died, or Heath Ledger last year.

I used to be a huge fan, HUGE one, when I was, uh, 13-15 or something. I’m not too sad now, not more than about anyone else’s death anyway, but I was looking forward to seeing what would come of his comeback “tour”, and it’s a shame I’ll never know.

I feel sorry for his kids and the rest of his family.

Nakrophile
    Participant

MJ is a legend. That is all.

si
    Participant

I heard about the EastEnders reference yesterday afternoon on the radio. Therefore, because I was expecting it, I was just left thinking ‘WTF?!’, because it was, let’s face it, shite, and utterly pointless.

sadly I can?t listen to ?Jam? because I gave all my Jacko albums to my cousin about ten years ago, when he wasn?t considered ?cool? anymore – I?ve got a ?Bad? CD, ?Leave Me Alone? on a 7? single, and that?s about it.

Have now realised I have Bad on cassette, not CD. Sadly, I can’t find that, but have discovered that I have Dangerous on CD, so I did manage to listen to Jam after all. Huzzah.
    We watched the BBC News tribute before EastEnders, and it got my sister crying, which got my mum crying too. The Radio 2 tribute was lovely too. And watched a bit of the C4 show last night too…

We realised too that whoever wins Big Brother this year is going to get the shock of their lives.

John Hoare
    Participant

I heard about the EastEnders reference yesterday afternoon on the radio. Therefore, because I was expecting it, I was just left thinking ?WTF?!?, because it was, let?s face it, shite, and utterly pointless.

I disagree. I thought it was brilliantly done – not making a big thing of it, just a short exchange between characters – exactly the same thing that happened to me at work that morning. It helps, in its small way, in making the show feel real.

si
    Participant

Oh, and sorry to keep going on, but…

On the BBC show, with Jeremy Vine, they discussed whether it was bigger than Elvis’s death, and it was stated that it probably was.

In that we’ve now got the internet, mobile phones, text messages, e-mails…yes, of course it’s bigger.
    But I wouldn’t say it’s bigger news – just on a par.

Elvis had a twenty year career, the best part of ten years of which were wasted doing crap movies.
    The reason Jacko was so big is that we’ve all grown up with him. He performed for most of his life, over 40 years, which is amazing.

I don’t know where I’m going with this, but I just thought I’d say something.

si
    Participant

Ignore this, changed my mind.

Carlito
    Participant

> We realised too that whoever wins Big Brother this year is going to get the shock of their lives.

Why?

hummingbird
    Participant

sadly I can?t listen to ?Jam? because I gave all my Jacko albums to my cousin about ten years ago, when he wasn?t considered ?cool? anymore – I?ve got a ?Bad? CD, ?Leave Me Alone? on a 7? single, and that?s about it.

Have now realised I have Bad on cassette, not CD. Sadly, I can?t find that, but have discovered that I have Dangerous on CD, so I did manage to listen to Jam after all. Huzzah.

It just occurred to me that I have a first pressing of Thriller on vinyl …. if I can only find it.
    Could be worth something now.

si
    Participant

>> We realised too that whoever wins Big Brother this year is going to get the shock of their lives.

>Why?

Well, okay, the same shock as the rest of us, but after everyone else.

JamesTC
    Participant

Got a text from my sister saying my nan was in hospital with water in her lungs and my grandad had had a stroke and was in hospital, a few minutes later I got a text saying she was so sad that Michael Jackson had died, hmm.

Dave
    Participant

>The Sun have gone with ?JACKO DEAD? this morning – sensitive as ever?

That is relatively sensitive given the potential for song title parodies and Heart Attacko references.

>His Music Will Live Forever

But his rickets are a thing of the past.

Jo
    Participant

Everytime I see this subjectline/headline my hopes are raised and dashed when I realise that my psycho ex of the same name is still alive and kicking. Bah!

pfm
    Participant

If your surname’s ‘Jackson’ you just wouldn’t even contemplate ‘Michael’ as a baby name, would you? The boss of Ch4 was Michael Jackson at one stage, though I’m guessing he was older so named before MJ became famous.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

So was the bloke who played Ollie Simpson on Brookside. Also, “Blame it on the Boogie” was written by an entirely different “Mick Jackson”.

Andrew
    Participant

According to Ken Levine: “Fans flocked to the Michael Jackson star on the Hollywood Walk-of-Fame. But it was talkshow host?s star, not Jacko?s. His star was covered by a red carpet laid down for the premiere of BRUNO.”

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The dad of a friend of mine was called James Bonds. He sadly passed away a few years ago and I spent at least a couple of inconsiderate minutes wondering if anyone had said “Goodbye Mr Bonds” when he was on his death bed.

In other news, the song “She’s out of my life” was the first song I learnt to play on the guitar.*

*This may not actually be true.

J_Spaced
    Participant

>According to Ken Levine: ?Fans flocked to the Michael Jackson star on the Hollywood Walk-of-Fame. But it was talkshow host?s star, not Jacko?s. His star was covered by a red carpet laid down for the premiere of BRUNO.?

I guess I’m the only one here who finds it funny that Bruno first spoofs Michael Jackson’s “baby dangling” incident, then literally walks all over the star. I really hope they don’t offer an apology for any of it.

Why are people “flocking” to his star anyway? What do they expect to happen when they get there?

Sorry for the rampant cynicism but really: why?

Pete Part Three
    Participant

There’s nothing like wallowing in a bit of public mourning.

pfm
    Participant

> Why are people ?flocking? to his star anyway? What do they expect to happen when they get there?

I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. That’s what I’m talkin’ about! OW!!

Btw I hope everyone has read this – http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/jun/29/michael-jackson-glastonbury-charlie-brooker

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Traffic here in LA the day he died was absolutely terrible. Everybody was driving towards Jackson’s house.

I don’t know what they were expecting to find when they got there.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

After seeing some of the truly mental fans who showed up at his trial, I expect we’ll be seeing a few Jacko related suicides over the next coming weeks.

> I expect we?ll be seeing a few Jacko related suicides over the next coming weeks.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2508569/Jackos-fans-commit-suicide.html

J_Spaced
    Participant

>Traffic here in LA the day he died was absolutely terrible. Everybody was driving towards Jackson?s house.

>I don?t know what they were expecting to find when they got there.

Lurleen, git yur lootin’ bags and high-security crowbar. We’re goin’ shoppin’.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

This is LA, and as such it’s far more likely they were there to bid for the rights to Michael Jackson’s life story.

That’d be an interesting film. You’d have to cast maybe three or four different people to play Adult Michael.

pfm
    Participant

Nah, just one person then use prosthetics and digital makeup.

Wilbur
    Participant

No way, no one person could possibly be all those different Michael Jacksons

ChrisM
    Participant

I came across this article written by Stephen King. At the bottom is the Ghosts video part written by Stephen King and directed by the late Stan Winston. Kinda cheesy in places (like you’d expect) but some very impressive stuff there. (Shame about the video quality itself.) Check out the make up bit at the end!

http://larryfire.wordpress.com/2009/07/01/did-stephen-king-and-michael-jackson-ever-collaborate-together/

Phil
    Participant

>That?d be an interesting film. You?d have to cast maybe three or four different people to play Adult Michael.

Actually, this sounds like a job for the Jim Henson Company.

pfm
    Participant

Robert Zemeckis can do it as his next mocap CGI film after A Christmas Carol. If they can have Jim Carrey playing Scrooge at every stage in his life, even as a kid, then they could do the same with the Michael Jackson story.

Wilbur
    Participant

Why use mocap when you could use Cher and a soldering iron?

NoFro
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VeYCLl_PAU

Clip of his last rehearsal has been released. Apparently it was all filmed and the sound was professionally recorded (5.1 and such).

Dave
    Participant

Jarvis Cocker was on Questiontime last night. I thought he was very measured in his Jacko related comments. Dimbleby on the other hand was a bit of a twat.

NoFro
    Participant

I saw that. Respectful really. He stated that he never had particular issue with Jackson, just that one moment, and stated some things about jackson that can’t really be argued with.

I also liked what he had to say on nationalising the railway system. I’m not entirely sure where I stand on the subject but he was right to point out that it worked in other countries, including France where he also lives, and so the fact that it didn’t work in this country in the past was irrelevant. That was a reflection on how it was done, not on the fact that nationalised rail doesn’t work.

Sorry to go off topic for a bit but I liked a surprising amount of what he had to say.

Carlito
    Participant
    Phil1034
    Participant

> Apparently it was all filmed and the sound was professionally recorded (5.1 and such).

Since he appears to be lip synching the sound probably didn’t need to be recorded at all. That arrangement of ‘They Don’t Care About Us’ is practically the same as on the HIStory tour (96-98). Still, should the dancing be impressive I would imagine I’d purchase the DVD.

Andrew
    Participant

Couldn’t help but notice in one of the stills – they were shooting the rehearsals on what looked like the Red One…

Viewing 69 posts - 1 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.