Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Dave
    Participant

I’ve just seen it.

It’s fantastic.

If you haven’t seen it, do.

TheLeen
    Participant

What Dave said

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I really thought it was meh. It looked great, but the story just really felt predictable. Maybe it’s the sci fi I read, but it just felt like old ground all the way through.

Dave
    Participant

Get out

hummingbird
    Participant

From what I’ve heard it’s sounds like my kind of thing, so I’m looking forward to watching it.
    But as I’m uber-skint right now I’ll have to wait until I’m paid next week 8(

TheLeen
    Participant

Peas_and_corn: if by “predictable” you mean that for once a film treats their viewers as grown-ups and saves them any sudden “surprising” turns right in the end… fair enough… I thought it was fine that things just happened in the film one after the other – kind of like in real life! :P

Kris Carter
    Participant

It was awesome, Sam Rockwell is great in it.

Phil
    Participant

I badly wanted to see this, but it never came out in my area. I’ll have to grab it on Netflix or something; thanks for reminding me.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I thought that the “predictable” and the “old ground” feel was part of the appeal…very much a X-Minus-One type of story

Dessie
    Participant

I’ll hopefully get to see this in the next few days. It didn’t get shown at cinema here so i almost ended up going to Derby to see it.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> thought that the ?predictable? and the ?old ground? feel was part of the appeal?very much a X-Minus-One type of story

Can someone have a stab at in what way was this film predictable? Yes it had a very old school sci-fi feel about it, that was a large part of it’s appeal.

Dave
    Participant

>Can someone have a stab at in what way was this film predictable?

I made several predictions while watching the film. They were all incorrect.

TheLeen
    Participant

Well, it’s linear.

Which really shouldn’t be a problem.

Dave
    Participant

>Well, it?s linear.

It’s Lunar.

Phil
    Participant

Welcome! Welcome to Lunar City 7. You have chosen, or been chosen, to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

I just found it to be somewhat dull, with not a huge amount to grip my attention. Not really much more to say, really.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Saw this on my flight – thought it was fantastic. A slow-burner (and I ended up watching it in chunks rather than start to finish), but the atmosphere and look of it were terrific, and Rockwell was superb. I was expecting something weird like Solaris or Sunshine, but it was basically Me2, wasn’t it?

Also thought it demonstrated the role that models still have to play in the genre – none of the lunar surface stuff would have been anywhere near as effective in, say, CG.

Kris Carter
    Participant

>>Also thought it demonstrated the role that models still have to play in the genre – none of the lunar surface stuff would have been anywhere near as effective in, say, CG.

Or, say, Etch A Sketch.

I loved this film, definetely a DVD buy for me!

hummingbird
    Participant

My DVD just arrived today. I can’t wait to watch it!

hummingbird
    Participant

So … I found it enjoyable but can’t help but feel disappointed. It’s as if it was always on the verge of going somewhere really interesting but never quite made it. Sam Rockwell’s performance was great and I loved the retro atmosphere, but retro on it’s own is not enough.

I think comparisons with Solaris and 2001 are completely unjustified.

> I really thought it was meh. It looked great, but the story just really felt predictable. Maybe it?s the sci fi I read, but it just felt like old ground all the way through.

I have to agree with pea_and_corn, although I wouldn’t say it was predictable, but it did turn out a little … tame, for want of a better word. I was waiting for suprises that never came.

And is it just me, or did the story feel vaguely familiar? Maybe Philip K Dick or Heinlein…?

I’d give it 3 out of 5, well executed but a wasted opportunity.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> I think comparisons with Solaris and 2001 are completely unjustified.

Absolutely. 2001’s rubbish.

Dave
    Participant

I was watching the extras the other day and there is a short film called Whistle on there, bizarrely a friend of mine is in it.

mick
    Participant

> Absolutely. 2001?s rubbish.

Get out.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

FINALLY saw it tonight.

I liked it a lot, but I’d agree with hummingbird. I was waiting for a final twist that never came. I was expecting the “escape route” to actually be a death-trap for escaping clones.

I wouldn’t call it predictable but it did seem a little reminiscent of other stuff I’ve seen.

On the plus-side: Looks wonderful, loved the Chesney nod, Dr Lucien Sanchez is in it and Sam Rockwell is awesome.

Dave
    Participant

Marleen, Moon is released in Germany (and possibly in German too) on the 29th of July in the year 2010.

TheLeen
    Participant

Yup, so I read on facebook! Exciting! I really wouldn’t mind seeing it on the big screen again

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.