Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf DVD commentary – a question

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Richey
    Participant

I’ve just finished re-watching series 1 and 2 over the last few days, with the cast commentary on. I can’t help but notice how much of a prick Norman and Danny are being towards each other. What’s the deal here? Do they genuinely have a problem with each other or was it tongue-in-cheek banter that just happens to come across as being vile towards each other?

Rad
    Participant

I thought it was just generally good fun.

‘Craig Ferguson lives in Los Angeles now’
    ‘And Norm’s in Clapham’

I think Norm does get annoyed with it a bit eventually to do with them constantly bringing up his hair or his spots but I think even then it’s mainly a joke. ‘Alright Danny, there’s nothing I can do about it, I’m sorry!’

Verdict: TONGUE-IN-CHEEK BANTER.

Richey
    Participant

Cheers for your thoughts, Rad.

Carlito
    Participant

Agreed, I never thought there was hostility, just that Danny comes across as one of those guys who thinks he’s funny when he rarely is, and the other guys just kind of roll their eyes and shrug it off.

The fact that Norm was present at Danny’s verdict kinda gives me the impression they aren’t at odds.

Turk Thrust
    Participant

> Danny comes across as one of those guys who thinks he?s funny when he rarely is

Nice description. :-)

Agree that Danny and Norman seem to get on very well.

Carlito
    Participant

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a funny comedy performer without doubt.

But without a script, he seems to constantly reach for gags without much success on the commentaries. It’s probably the pressure of trying to be ‘entertaining’, to his peers as much as the audience… I doubt he’s like that 24/7… but those recording studios must have been overrun with tumbleweed after the DVD commentary recordings. He’s not bereft of humour, he hit the mark lots of times, but you could imagine it wearing thin fairly quickly, which is why the others probably ignore him, rather than having any hostility towards him.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

The fact that Norm was present at Danny?s verdict kinda gives me the impression they aren?t at odds

why do I have the image of Norm standing at the back of the court in a black hood holding an executioners axe and with a large grin on his face?

Carlito
    Participant

It’s not completely out of the clear blue sky. Norm HAS been known to generally wear a big black hooded cloak on his daily business, just so people recognise him as Holly.

Fact.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

Ahh yes, I remember meeting him when he was wearing the coat.

Me: Oh hey! You’re Holly, right?
    Norm: I wish people would stop referring to me as Holly, I’ve done heaps of other stuff other than red Dwarf
    Me: Sorry Norm
    Norm: Please, call me Holly

Dave
    Participant

>why do I have the image of Norm standing at the back of the court in a black hood holding an executioners axe and with a large grin on his face?

Norm paints his on

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Me: Oh hey! You?re Holly, right?
    >Norm: I wish people would stop referring to me as Holly, I?ve done heaps of other >stuff other than red Dwarf
    >Me: Sorry Norm
    >Norm: Please, call me Holly

You made me do a LOL

Ben Paddon
    Participant

>You made me do a LOL

In his pants.

/Has stopped using the blockquote tag.
    //Actually, stopped using funny pre-quote comments a while ago, and nobody noticed.
    ///Is sad.

mick
    Participant

Norman is actually a bit of a prick to be fair.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.