Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Smugle or Strugle? – Dispatches From Smegle

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 5,191 total)
  • Author
    RunawayTrain
    Participant

13/05/2022 

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨

Well, at least it amuses me to have an identical result twice in a row!

Warbodog
    Participant

🟨🟨🟨🟩

I thought the reddy-pink might be Vlad the Impaler from Cured, then it was mainly random guessing until it went green.

#RedDwarf #Smegle 13/05/2022 
    β¬›πŸŸ©

Well I’ve only seen that episode 3 times but once I realised what the table was its really the only episode it could be I think, as I don’t think you really see the crew sat around the mid section table that much, if at all, other than in Timewave. 

First thought was Trojan, given it’s clearly Rimmer with a sheet of paper at a table. I thought it was the hey ho pip and dandy moment.

oh and first time I immediately sat the aspect ratio and took it into account.  

Dave
    Participant

Took me four today, just couldn’t put my finger on it until the penny dropped.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Was your Guess 4 from Series XI? Don’t feel too bad, I very nearly guessed Samsara second after getting the right series to start with. The 2 series are just too jumbled together in my mind.

(If it wasn’t Series XI then you’re on your own, sorry.)

When it comes to XI and XII I do sometimes have to do a quick IMDB search to check which episodes are in which series

Dave
    Participant

Was your Guess 4 from Series XI? Don’t feel too bad, I very nearly guessed Samsara second after getting the right series to start with. The 2 series are just too jumbled together in my mind.
    (If it wasn’t Series XI then you’re on your own, sorry.)

No, I exhausted Series XI, X and TPL in that order and only got Timewave on the fourth guess once I knew it was a XII episode.

I have the same difficulty with XI/XII though. 

Unrumble
    Participant

once I realised what the table was its really the only episode it could be I think, as I don’t think you really see the crew sat around the mid section table that much, if at all, other than in Timewave.

Yep, all about that table 😎

13/05/2022 

🟩

Warbodog
    Participant

The reality was more of an XI-A & XI-B with a (brief by today’s standards) broadcast gap, but that would confuse the otherwise meticulous numbering of the Dave era.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Oh whoops, I didn’t realise we’d got onto another page, so my Series XI question was actually meant for clem, hence why I asked which wrong series Guess 4 was, after Dave said he got the correct answer on Guess 4. Oh, the irony of me responding to someone calling themselves an idiot with idiocy.

Luckily I am interested in Dave’s thought process too, though!

Dave
    Participant

Oh right. I did wonder!

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

The pattern of shame.

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨

Great.

clem
    Participant

First four guesses were Dear Dave, Give & Take, Mechocracy, Officer Rimmer. Glad I’m not the only one who gets XI and XII mixed up!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

🟨🟨🟨🟨🟨🟩

So having identified the correct series immediately, it took me the longest possible time to get the episode. 

RunawayTrain
    Participant

I also still have to resort to Google to check which eps are in which series for XI and XII.  I keep thinking ‘time for a rewatch’ but if I watch them both one after the other that’s still not going to help sort them out.  Hmm.

So having identified the correct series immediately, it took me the longest possible time to get the episode. 

Is it just wishful thinking that Timewave doesn’t exist?

Jenuall
    Participant

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©

I think there’s zero shame in struggling to identify Timewave!

Warbodog
    Participant

🟩

#RedDwarf #Smegle 14/05/2022 
    🟩  

This is an absolute classic case of don’t second guess yourself.  My immediate reaction was the right answer, but I spent several minutes thinking through numerous other options and humming and harring until I just went for what my gut originally told me. 
    Unrumble
    Participant

14/05/2022 

β¬›πŸŸ©

First guess was Siliconia. I thought it might be one of the MILFs stood in that room where they spend a large amount of the episode 

Siliconia is one of the episodes I thought it might be too, but I felt Lemons had more brown in it.

Warbodog
    Participant

Dave
    Participant

Got this one in three but feel like it should have been less.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Aww yeah, got it in 1.

RunawayTrain
    Participant

14/05/2022 

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ©

… and I’ve *just* realised my first two guesses were from the same series 🀦🀦🀦  Oh well.

clem
    Participant

🟩

Unrumble
    Participant

15/05/2022 

β¬›πŸŸ©

That coat, that lighting 

Flap Jack
    Participant

15/05/2022 

3/6 🟨🟨🟩

Solid. Sure, I may not have got it straight away, but I did avoid falling into the obvious trap.

Warbodog
    Participant

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©

I ended up with two possibilities for the last guess. I went with the vague sense of antagonism and possibly looking wet, but I was tense.

clem
    Participant

β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©

The episode that ended my first streak, but not this time! 

RunawayTrain
    Participant

15/05/2022 

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©

Guess 5 was actually my first thought, should have gone with it and saved a few guesses πŸ™„

I don’t actually know which scene it ended up being though!  And I’m not curious enough to make myself rewatch just to find out.

Dave
    Participant

Got the right series straight away but didn’t get the episode until guess four, that coat helped it fall into place 

#RedDwarf #Smegle 15/05/2022 

β¬›πŸŸ©

The squares were far too blue for what was actually revealed. But as Unrumble said, that coat and that lighting could have only really been one episode. 

It’s definitely XI! No, it must be XII then! Ah, The Promised Land. Oh ffs.

Still forgetting the aspect ratio rule, apparently. 

I really feel like the aspect ration is a bit of a cheat. Now I know to look out for it it immediately helps narrow things down. And not just to an era, but when you know the era you can eliminate other things quite quickly. I kinda wish I didn’t know about it. 

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I really feel like the aspect ration is a bit of a cheat. Now I know to look out for it it immediately helps narrow things down. And not just to an era, but when you know the era you can eliminate other things quite quickly. I kinda wish I didn’t know about it. 

So you’re saying I should crop them all to 4:3?

Flap Jack
    Participant

So you’re saying I should crop them all to 4:3?

Although I can’t speak from the perspective of someone who didn’t twig the aspect ratio differences to begin with, I still disagree that being able to distinguish Dave from BBC that way is too easy. It’s just the nature of the source material. (And Quinn being too naturally talented at the game. πŸ˜‰)

Fair chance you’re not being serious about the cropping idea anyway, but I don’t want to risk it!

No don’t crop it.  Just go back in time and set the standard of TV production at 16:9 from as early as 1987

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

So I’m hearing a lot of votes for cropping.

Make a second tier of difficult where it selects the frame, then randomly crops to 1 section of the frame and then blurs it out.  Then you’d have ubiquity across both eras 

RunawayTrain
    Participant

I want to say ‘makes no difference to me’ but I can’t help worrying that by cropping, we might lose distinctive bits at the edges of the wider frames.

Although, it’s not as if I’m any good at this game anyway, so I probably wouldn’t even notice in all honesty!

Flap Jack
    Participant

If you absolutely had to make the aspect ratios uniform, then I would vote for letterboxing over cropping.

Thankfully you don’t absolutely have to. 😜

clem
    Participant

Jumble up all the squares and only give us 4 guesses. 

Dave
    Participant

Have an option where you can choose either original aspect ratio or cropped.

clem
    Participant

β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©

For some reason I didn’t think Cat’s hair looked quite like that in V. 

Warbodog
    Participant

β¬›β¬›β¬›πŸŸ¨πŸŸ¨πŸŸ©

Another tense one. I could only eliminate a couple of options by the end based on Cat outfits, but wasn’t sure. I mainly went for this one on the assumption that he changed outfits when Rimmer did.

I clearly don’t know my Kryten tummies.

Warbodog
    Participant

Oh yeah, of course he’s wearing that in the inquisition scene. I could only remember the less generic red suit from later in the ep.

#RedDwarf #Smegle 16/05/2022 

🟩

I thought it was a different scene but definitely not going to complain. 

Dave
    Participant

Got it in three today, after thinking it was two other very ‘red’ scenes.

Viewing 50 posts - 151 through 200 (of 5,191 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.