Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum What effect did 9/11 have on Red Dwarf?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

As you will all no doubt know, the events of September 11 2001 (9/11) changed the world forever when two hijacked aircraft smashed into the World Trade Centre in New York, destroying the buildings. Nearly 3,000 people lost their lives. Additionally, two other aircraft were hijacked, with one being smashed into the Pentagon.

Now, at the time this attack took place, Red Dwarf had been out of production for over three years following Series VIII. The movie was in pre-production at the time, having been announced just a year earlier. It is clear that the tragedy had an impact on entertainment, with planned television screenings of films and fictional programs where terrorism, plane crashes, bombs, or other related disaster were the primary subject either postponed or cancelled.

When Red Dwarf returned in 2009, it was clearly a different to show than what it was between 1988 and 1999. The 9/11 attacks had a marked effect on not just entertainment, but society as a whole and this was certainly evident in BTE, Series X and possibly even the latest series, Series XI. Whether the show will recover from this, remains to be seen.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’ve made it! I’m out! Of this thread.

Blimey.

Paul Muller
    Participant

I really hope you’re not expecting a sensible answer for this one…

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Somebody punch him out.

Wasn’t the cancelled Earth episode of Series VIII going to show Red Dwarf smashing through various famous landmarks?

Jimboid
    Participant

The bit where Lister irons his sneezes clearly alludes to the fact that jet fuel doesn’t melt steel.

Nick R
    Participant

The crew getting stuck in Better Than Life but being unaware of it is clearly a coded message to WAKE UP, SHEEPLE.

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

A post was made on the Winamp Forum on the 10 September 2001 about Red Dwarf by user Steve, who wrote:

Any body else watch that show? It’s the greatest SCI-FI SHOW EVER!

The discussion carried on into the following day, when Scarface2k1 replied:

“whats red dwarf?

i never herd of it. and i got cable :eek:”

Later that day the world changed.

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked
    Moonlight
    Participant

If you freezeframe on Kryten’s eyes at various points in Series IX (especially during the Duane Dibbley sing-along in Lister First Bath – Polymorph III), you can see reptile-like slits. I can’t decide if the two vertical lines were a warning the towers were going to fall or if he’s actually the lizard who ordered the attack, but it’s definitely one of those two.

Jo
    Participant
    Ben Paddon
    Participant

What the legitimate fuck.

Ridley
    Participant

Whoa, spin on!

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

Blimey.

I was hoping for something a bit more batty than ‘there are eyes on the DVD covers’

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

That’s what they WANT you to think!!

The Jews did the drive plate malfunction.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.