Why isn't Kochanski in XI or XII?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Why isn't Kochanski in XI or XII?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  clem 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

clem

https://www.starburstmagazine.com/features/interview-doug-naylor-writerco-creator-of-red-dwarf

Just been reading that interview with Doug from shortly before Series X aired. He says that Kochanski was meant to be in two episodes that would have required location filming, but there wasn’t enough money for both location filming and a studio audience. Doug chose to have an audience, so we didn’t get those episodes.

On XI and XII, there was a big enough budget for location shoots and an audience. Doug had 12 episodes to write and direct, and two unused scripts. Did he just go off the idea of bringing back KK? Was Chloe unavailable or unwilling to return? Or maybe there still wasn’t enough money to realise those episodes in a satisfactory way. I suppose another possibility is that Doug *did* use stuff from those scripts… but not Kochanski.

Dax101

I just get the impression Doug has no plan on bringing her back as a regular character, so bringing kochanski back will probably an idea for a final episode. and perhaps Doug was more confident after 12 that there could be another series then he was after series 10.

Ben Saunders

Wouldn’t blame him if he just couldn’t be arsed given that he already tried it or went off the idea/didn’t want to rewrite it to make it happen this time ’round

Dax101

it was about a circus if right. maybe it became timewave.

Pete Part Three

Series 1 and 2: Not a character
    Series 6: Not even the not a character.
    Series 7: An actual attempt at a character, albeit saddled with being nagging, superior and not Rimmer.
    Series 8: The Woman one
    Series 9: Not even the not a character,

Um. Maybe Doug realised that this never really worked.

si

She’s dead, Dave.

clem

> it was about a circus if right. maybe it became timewave.

When Doug mentions it in We’re Smegged, I don’t think he means that either of the scrapped episodes involved a circus. Pretty sure he just comes up with a circus off the top of his head as an example of a setting that would be expensive to do.

performingmonkey

The ape from Entangled could be a leftover element from the lost ‘circus’ episode.

bloodteller

>The ape from Entangled could be a leftover element from the lost ‘circus’ episode.

No, since it was the final two episodes (5 and 6) of X that got entirely replaced, and Entangled is episode 4. The back half of Entangled *was* rewritten though, with it originally having the ape stay as an ape, and Rimmer and Lister becoming sort of parents to it. Rimmer would discover the ape still had the knowledge of the professor, and trying to use it to help pass his exams.

The only confirmed information anyone has about the dropped episodes from X is that Kochanski would have appeared in at least one of them, and that the finale was originally going to involve the main characters finally returning to Earth (similar to the dropped “Earth” episode from VIII, presumably) Oh and before anyone asks if I’m talking out my arse about that last one, Doug mentioned it in a video interview a while back

Ben Saunders

As nice as having Kochanski back sounds, I’m glad we didn’t get back to earth. I’m glad we got Back to Earth, though.

Dave

I would rather the show never got back to earth. In both senses.

Dax101

I believe someone on here mentioned that Doug once said that originally the idea was gonna be that there was some creature hidden on the trojan, which obviously is where he got the idea for the name.

But with the way Dougs writing is these days, which is less on threat and more on comedy, i suspect it probably wouldnt have been an actual threat. i wouldn’t be shocked if it was originally where they found the ape tbh.

bloodteller

>But with the way Dougs writing is these days, which is less on threat and more on comedy, i suspect it probably wouldnt have been an actual threat. i wouldn’t be shocked if it was originally where they found the ape tbh.

Could be actually, I think there’s a scene on the X documentary somewhere where they’re doing a rehearsal for Trojan and the vault from Entangled is part of the set. So you could be right on that one

Hamish

I seem to recall it was Kochanski that was in the vault originally though?

bloodteller

No, that was just something G&T commenters suggested, it was never going to be Kochanski in there. Doug’s mentioned a few times that Kochanski was going to appear in either one or both of the dropped episodes from X (the original ep. 5 and 6). The original back half of Entangled basically involved the chimp just staying a chimp for the rest of the episode, until Doug had to rewrite it because it turned out chimp-actors (not sure if there’s a word for them) can only work 45 minutes at a time. Which is why in the actual episode the chimp is only around for about a minute or two

clem

> When Doug mentions it in We’re Smegged, I don’t think he means that either of the scrapped episodes involved a circus. Pretty sure he just comes up with a circus off the top of his head as an example of a setting that would be expensive to do.

Mind you, one of the photos Danny captioned “What is it?” on twitter recently is of The Aeronaut, a pub in Acton where they put on circus shows.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.