Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Worst episodes of series 3-5?

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Warbodog
    Participant

I enjoyed this really arbitrary thread.

There’s nothing from those years I consider even a bit dodgy, as I do a few from the neighbouring classic years, but Demons and Angels is definitely least favourite for the general unpleasantness and completely unrelatable alternate selves. (Then again, The Inquisitor’s pretty grim, but that’s always been a top 10, so maybe it’s not that aspect).

DNA’s the other one – some classic scenes, but it’s always felt a bit weird and ‘off’ to me. It’s impossible to look objectively at what was one of the first Red Dwarf scenes I ever saw, but I’m surprised the curry monster bit doesn’t come in for more derision.

As said, most of series III feels a bit lightweight and sometimes carelessly illogical, but it doesn’t really matter when they’re so watchable.

Like tombow and others, I’m not always watching these with a critical eye, and I always liked the (relatively) slow and less eventful ones like The Last Day, Camille and Bodyswap because I liked hanging out on those cosy cream sets.

Warbodog
    Participant

Also, since I’m being topical

I would challenge any other British Sitcom who had such a consistent run for 3 series/seasons.

Blackadder for a start, even if the final year got a bit formulaic with the gags like a Red Dwarf VI.

I’d say series 2-5 of One Foot in the Grave probably match it. Being objective, they possibly beat it in terms of successful plotting and gag-for-gag rate.

Warbodog
    Participant

I can’t remember every individual episode, and whether there were any duds in there, but maybe Peep Show series 1 to at least 4.

4 is my least favourite Peep Show series. It moves away from the original format into The Wacky Adventures of Mark and Jez where one always tags along with the other for some really tenuous reason and they do daft stuff like eating a dog. Kind of the antithesis of what I like about the show.

As a whole, series 5 is one I sort of shy away from the most when thinking about it. It’s a series that my impressions of it is that it doesn’t appeal as much as others.

Holoship and Back to Reality are very good episodes (though I don’t place Back to Reality top of all time) but Inquisitor, Terrorform, Demons and Angels are all episodes that a very dark (literally and figuratively) and heavy and feel a lot more story driven than gag driven, especially in the case of Inquisitor. Demons and Angels I find amusing but sort of out of place, I think possibly for the reasons you stated Warbo, that the different character versions are completely unrelatable [side note – my computer thinks that word is spelt wrong].

That leaves Quarantine which I know I enjoy, but also feels like one long scene in the quarantine bay which drags a little, even though I know it isn’t. The set up is funny enough although it does feel it is just a way of getting us to the main part of the episode (almost how Asclepious or the female cat are just thrown away). Perhaps because it sits in amongst 3 episodes that I don’t rates so well I have a worse impression of it than I should.

Jenuall
    Participant

I think Peep Show is the most “recent” candidate for a UK comedy show with a very consistent period, I’d definitely give it my backing.

4 is my least favourite Peep Show series. It moves away from the original format into The Wacky Adventures of Mark and Jez where one always tags along with the other for some really tenuous reason and they do daft stuff like eating a dog. Kind of the antithesis of what I like about the show.

I know a lot of people cite the dog eating moment as something of a jumping the shark step for Peep Show but I’m a big fan of it myself. Webb’s performance sells the situation perfectly.

As for the actual question concerning RD, it’s a tough one. There are some episodes which seem to consistently rank lower than others in polls etc. Meltdown for example has had a “weak” reputation for a while and it is one of those that I sometimes find myself tempted to skip when doing a re-watch, but then I watch it and remember that it is actually fantastic and has some of the shows best bits – who could possibly skip an episode where Winnie the Pooh faces a firing squad!?

Camille and Body Swap are probably the two weakest entries from this period for me. Camille never quite lands for me as I don’t really have any kind of Casablanca nostalgia and it doesn’t have that many “top tier” gags. Body Swap has one of the best opening acts of any episode, the milkshake and a crunchy bar order leading to the near destruction of the ship is just perfection, but the actual body swap stuff falls flatter for me – partly because the VO performances are slightly off which is jarring.

Ultimately it really is a case of nit-picking though, it’s a fabulous period for the show overall.

Dave
    Participant

Camille never quite lands for me as I don’t really have any kind of Casablanca nostalgia and it doesn’t have that many “top tier” gags.

I think Camille is really funny! Loads of great gags, especially early on. The opening scene is one of the best ever. And all the stuff when Kryten/Rimmer/Lister meet Camille is very funny too.

Jenuall
    Participant

I think this is the problem, most episodes from that stage of the run where I think “Oh, I don’t really like that one” the reality is they are great and I just can’t remember exactly how great at that point in time. There is a lot to love about it, I always forget its the episode with the lying lessons – female ardvarks and all. The initial meeting with Camille is great also – the WD-40 line, 4000 series GTI etc. (although as a computer scientist I can’t help but cringe when Kryten refers to ‘A S C 2 code’, it’s ASCII with i’s you moron!) and the interactions with their individual pleasure GELF companions, the confusion that causes and so on is all good, something about it just doesn’t kick it into absolute top gear for me I guess.

Like I say it’s a case of something being “slightly less fantastic” rather than “ugh, this is a real Pete Part 2”

Camille never quite lands for me as I don’t really have any kind of Casablanca nostalgia and it doesn’t have that many “top tier” gags.

I think Camille is really funny! Loads of great gags, especially early on. The opening scene is one of the best ever. And all the stuff when Kryten/Rimmer/Lister meet Camille is very funny too.

Also, I really don’t think Camille relies on prior knowledge of Casablanca in the way BTE does Blade Runner for it to be funny.

I’ve always really really enjoyed Camille and yet I saw Casablanca for the first and only time in 2010. It’s a great story in it’s own right because it’s a universally understood love story. You can parody it and get away with not needing the understanding of the source material to get it.

This era Red Dwarf does a few movie inspired ideas and non of them require an prior understanding to appreciate the jokes at all.

RunawayTrain
    Participant

This era Red Dwarf does a few movie inspired ideas and non of them require an prior understanding to appreciate the jokes at all.

I can thoroughly testify – my film knowledge is almost non-existent (I only know Camille references Casablanca because it’s explicitly mentioned in the ep, plus later having read/listened to background info) and this era Red Dwarf still makes me laugh out loud :) I guess appreciating the filmic inspiration must help give an extra layer of enjoyment, but it’s not required to still enjoy what’s on the screen.

Warbodog
    Participant

Bodyswap and Camille might have my favourite opening minutes of any episodes, so those are other reasons I rate those. Those would be great clips to introduce someone to the series… though with the self-destruct gag taking seven minutes to pay off, I can see why the red alert bulb and Wilma Flintstone tend to make the clip shows.

I always feel Camille is underrated in polls, coming bottom of all this lot, but it’s fair enough, especially since Holoship is a better take on the love story according to most (although Smegazine readers hated it in 1992).

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.