Would you watch a Red Dwarf cartoon?

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Would you watch a Red Dwarf cartoon?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Paul Muller 3 months ago.

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Jawscvmcdia

Let’s say some years down the line the actors decided that they could no longer be involved in Red Dwarf in a live-action capacity, however they were willing to perform their roles as a voice over to a cartoon. Would you watch a Red Dwarf cartoon? What sort of cartoon should it be like? Should it verge onto a more Hanna-Barbera type style or something more mature similar to Family Guy/The Simpsons?

Ben Saunders

How did the Cat know what a parade was, and why did he know enough about the criminal justice system of Earth so as to be able to attempt his cover after… after…

Hold on a fucking minute, does the Cat do a shit in Lister’s boot in Me²? Is that the joke? I never got it before.

Ben Saunders

Also of course I’d watch it, and I’d like it to be like Red Dwarf, and nothing like that Christmas mobisode

bloodteller

>Hold on a fucking minute, does the Cat do a shit in Lister’s boot in Me²? Is that the joke? I never got it before.

yes, he does a shit in his boots.

in response to the original question, maybe? i think at one point the Red Dwarf Movie was planned to be animated, wasn’t it? it would have been interesting to see if that would’ve worked, but i doubt it.

Dave

BITR-style claymation.

Warbodog

>does the Cat do a shit in Lister’s boot in Me²?

No, he does a shit in Rimmer’s boot.

Ben Saunders

Oh well that’s alright then. Not like he can wear it.

Lily

Nope. No interest at all.

It’s a character comedy and at this point the actors are as much a part of the characters as the script.

Jawscvmcdia

>Nope. No interest at all.

Why not Lily? Explain yourself, please.

Dollar Pound

provided robert llewellyn has to wear full mask and costume for all the audio only recordings

GlenTokyo

I wouldn’t want a cartoon of any type that you listed, Family Guy/ Simpsons/ Flintstones or any other style like that just wouldn’t suit Red Dwarf at all.

Not opposed to animation, but it’d have to be a CG affair, so you could get the grime in.

The budget for that would be ridiculous though, even a family guy would be extremely pricey I’d imagine.

flanl3

Would you listen to a Red Dwarf podcast?

Would you eat a Red Dwarf sandwich?

Would you visit a Red Dwarf abstract art exhibit?

Would you spend a day at a Red Dwarf theme park?

Would you go on a date with Red Dwarf?

Would you build a Red Dwarf house?

Hamish

>i think at one point the Red Dwarf Movie was planned to be animated, wasn’t it?

You are probably thinking of this interview:
    http://www.ganymede.tv/2007/12/g-t-interviews-doug-naylor/

I for one would be interested, depending heavily on the style used. Not CGI though. Ick.

Dave

Would you visit a Red Dwarf abstract art exhibit?

http://openwalls.com/image?id=5115

Ben Paddon

I’ve been saying for years, conceptually Red Dwarf would work very well as an anime.

Jimboid

No.

Next.

bloodteller

>I’ve been saying for years, conceptually Red Dwarf would work very well as an anime.

i’d maybe watch a Red Dwarf anime if it were based on the novels, rather than the TV show. The novels feel like they’d work really well in an animated format if done right, wheras i think the TV show kind of hinges on being performed by the actual actors and such

Lily

>Why not Lily? Explain yourself, please.

Well, I pretty much thought the follow sentence did just that. The actors are integral to the show for me.

I’ve not read the books, listened to the audio books, read any magazines, or anything like that. I’m mildly curious about some of the different aspects of the books but not enough to actually bother buying and reading them. I’ve not even watched the story-boarded ‘lost’ episodes on the DVDs. I tried one of them but the ‘reading stage directions’ stuff really put me off.

Basically, I love the TV show. Just the TV show. Only the TV show. With these actors.

If the movie had ever happened and it was cast with different actors, I probably wouldn’t bother watching until it got to Netflix, and wouldn’t have liked it much even then.

Dax101

Would i watch it? probably, but i doubt it would ever happen unless its an online web show.

Id actually be open for an animated DVD movie if Doug wanted to use the movie script for something… problem is that probably wouldn’t be cheap.

GlenTokyo

Anime might work, that has the level of detail. That or something with 3D backgrounds and proper lighting.

Family Guy style would be horrific. I’d chain myself to Doug’s car outside GNP to make sure that never happened haha

Hamish

I think it shows a distressing lack of knowledge or respect for the medium to think that animation has to fall somewhere between “Hanna-Barbera” and “Family Guy”.

Plastic Percy

Red Dwarf Mobisodes. Because that went well, didn’t it.

Dax101

Well Doug did write that mobisode where Santa Clause arrived on red dwarf from space.

On second thought perhaps we are good without an animated show.

Flap Jack

It’s funny how people just use “anime” as shorthand for “expensive and stylised”.

Unless you genuinely mean you’d want it to be made in Japanese and then dubbed into English later?

GlenTokyo

What about Rwby? That’s not made in Japanese.

bloodteller

well, Red Dwarf was fairly big in Japan at one point and there’s a Japanese dub of it (though all the episodes are cut down to 24 minutes to fit a timeslot) so sure, why not? the VAs doing the JP dub were mostly pretty good imo

bloodteller

>What about Rwby? That’s not made in Japanese.

It’s also not an anime. The term “anime” just means anything animated in Japan- it’s not exclusive to the type of japanese animated shows that use the particular artstyle anime is known for having

bloodteller

i once saw a really poorly-made series all done in Adobe Flash about a cat making noodles in a shop it ran, but since it was made in Japan it still counts as anime as far as i know

bloodteller

RWBY was made in America i think

Jawscvmcdia

>I think it shows a distressing lack of knowledge or respect for the medium to think that animation has to fall somewhere between “Hanna-Barbera” and “Family Guy”.

Look, I literally wrote two examples of popular animation styles, I’m not trying to make a comprehensive list of each animation style available throughout the history of animation. If you’ve got a suggestion, feel free to list it.

GlenTokyo

Rwby is made in Austin Texas. Think to say anime has to come out of Japan to be anime is being too rigid with a definition.

Perfectly acceptable to call RWBY anime, there are plenty of articles posing the question can people outside of Japan can make anime, and answering yeah probably, particularly about RWBY which is massive in Japan now.

If it’s of the style then it’s anime made somewhere else. Still anime though imo.

bloodteller

>If it’s of the style then it’s anime made somewhere else. Still anime though imo.

what constitutes “the style” though? i’ve seen plenty of anime which isn’t animated in the artstyle that anime is most commonly linked with-there were even a few that were animated in an artstyle identical to american cartoons.

mind you in Japan the word “anime” just means anything animated and over there i think it’s simply used to refer to literally anything that’s animated-outside of Japan i suppose the term isn’t as clearly defined, so I don’t really know. it’s a very vague term I suppose

Dave

Know thine anime.

GlenTokyo

A style of animation originating in Japan that is characterized by stark colorful graphics depicting vibrant characters in action-filled plots often with fantastic or futuristic themes.

bloodteller

>action-filled plots

i once saw an anime where they discussed the correct method of eating a chocolate croissant for the first 8 minutes of the episode. then they went home. then they caught a cold and stayed in bed, before heading back to school the next day and discussing the chocolate croissants again. then the episode ended

a bit like seinfeld really, but somehow even more about nothing than usual

Warbodog

I’d prefer they did full-cast audio dramas / radio shows, if they couldn’t do TV. Putting drawings over the top seems patronising and detracts atmosphere and credibility. Spend the budget on extra episodes or decent guest stars instead (or better still, no guest stars).

bloodteller

>radio shows

they sort of did this with the first 2 books- they made each into a 6 episode radio series, but instead of the full cast it was just Chris Barrie doing all of the voices.

the music and atmosphere in them was excellent though- the little things added to it here and there really make it feel like a more whole experience.

actually hearing “born to brutalise” playing in the background at lister’s funeral kind of made that particular part a lot less sad though

Flap Jack

Would you watch a live Red Dwarf puppet show?

Hamish

> Look, I literally wrote two examples of popular animation styles, I’m not trying to make a comprehensive list of each animation style available throughout the history of animation. If you’ve got a suggestion, feel free to list it.

Sure, fair enough, you do not need to list them all, but the problem is that animation in the west still has a huge legitimacy problem due to its close association with juvenile cartoons, even though it is actually one of the most diverse visual mediums available. By only bringing up things like The Flintstones or Family Guy it helps to reinforce that prejudice. As has already been mentioned, certain Anime styles might be a better fit for Red Dwarf than those used by basically any American cartoon show, but there are also a lot of other animation traditions and methods besides that might work better.

Paul Muller

Yeah some sort of Japanese Influenced hyper detailed style might work. Or decent CG failing that. Or something like the recent Thunderbirds remake – miniature sets / models with CG characters. None of these will happen though as they’re all horrifically expensive. So, no.

bloodteller

the “Attack Of The Giant Hand Monster” shortfilm on the VII dvd is a pretty good Red Dwarf animation, so that’s worth a watch if you want to see one.

the claymation in BITR was quite good as well i suppose but it doesn’t really fit into the episode anywhere and “Power Sauce” is a rather weak gag

Paul Muller

Also, something like an animated version of Prelude to Nanarchy, or our very own Kris Carter’s RD comics could work pretty well.

Ben Paddon

Kris and I always meant to do more comics together after “Songs in the Key of Files”. We’ve not quite gotten around to it.

Paul Muller

Apologies Ben, I absolutely should have credited you there as well.

You should definitely do some more, they were great!

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 44 posts - 1 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.