Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Bootleg Merch

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    ARossiEsquire
    Participant

Red Dwarf is popular (believe it or not) and of course with popularity comes knock offs and imitators… why not have a thread for bootleg/dodgy merchandise? Who knows? You may have some in your collection!

Here’s one I found earlier…

Mug

RunawayTrain
    Participant

By bootleg, do you mean unlicensed or just the really naff stuff with spelling mistakes or bad pictures?

si
    Participant

I’ve got a CD with lots of ‘Tounge [sic] Tied’ mixes on it. One of them says it’s a Dalek mix or something. Not great.

Dave
    Participant

I got a knock-off of the Series XI Blu-Ray that has all the Series XII titles on the back instead (and even then, some of them aren’t right).

I can’t really think of any merch I’ve got that would be knock off. I’m not sure where I would have found myself at any point in the last 33 years of my existence where knock off merch was readily available to buy.

I was going to write something pithy about how there was a bootleg boxset of videos going around in the mid 90s claiming to be 6 of the best episodes, when clearly they weren’t, but on a serious note (as serious as Dave’s) I’ll say this.

The closes I have to knock off merch is probably The Log, given it isn’t officially licensed Red Dwarf material though leads you to believe it is.

Dave
    Participant

I can’t really think of any merch I’ve got that would be knock off. I’m not sure where I would have found myself at any point in the last 33 years of my existence where knock off merch was readily available to buy.

Joking aside, my London Jets T-shirt is definitely a non-official unlicensed one.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I get knockoff stuff advertised to me on Facebook all the time. My fave was a t-shirt with the slogan “Mr Flibble’s Very Angry”.

Ridley
    Participant

I’ve got a CD with lots of ‘Tounge [sic] Tied’ mixes on it. One of them says it’s a Dalek mix or something. Not great.

Is it better than the Tabby Ranks mix and does it have the “What did you say?”

Every so often someone will do a T-Shirt design that I like but I’ve never got around to getting one Dwarf related.

This is tempting

Someone do Mr. Flibble is very cloche.

si
    Participant

I get knockoff stuff advertised to me on Facebook all the time. My fave was a t-shirt with the slogan “Mr Flibble’s Very Angry”.

I used to have a beautiful t-shirt with a brilliant characture of Rimmer in his gingham dress with Mr Flibble. I think that had “Mr Flibble’s very cross” on it.

I’ve not seen it in years. There’s just a few small glances in old photos of mine on Facebook, dating back twenty-odd years. When I was beautiful and had long hair.

EDIT:There you go, look at that.

Flap Jack
    Participant

No firsthand experience with knockoff merch, but this did spur me to search “Red Dwarf” on Redbubble, and it is a veritable treasure trove.

https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/Funny-by-BigTime/17849929.IJ6L0

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

You’ve prompted me to do the same. There’s loads of clever, creative designs on there based on original artwork, but then there’s the reams of stuff where people have just nicked proper photos or logos without doing anything to them. That’s the kind of blatant unthinking copyright infringement that would ultimately ruin it for everyone else if the IP owners got wind of it.

Also, I spotted someone selling stickers of a meme that Kris Carter of this parish made. Daisy Bryar is a fucking thief. https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/Red-Dwarf-Cat-Meme-by-DaisyBryar/46162499.EJUG5

Ridley
    Participant

Someone did the same with Paddon’s Rimmer salute design ages ago. Fortunately the worst offenders usually can’t be bothered adapting them to another medium either so they’re pretty easy to spot.

Renegade Rob
    Participant

Someone online tried to sell a Topic bar without a single hazelnut in it.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Someone once stole some of my old artwork and then put it on keyrings and mugs on eBay.

I bought one and then reported them.

Kris Carter
    Participant

You’ve prompted me to do the same. There’s loads of clever, creative designs on there based on original artwork, but then there’s the reams of stuff where people have just nicked proper photos or logos without doing anything to them. That’s the kind of blatant unthinking copyright infringement that would ultimately ruin it for everyone else if the IP owners got wind of it.

Also, I spotted someone selling stickers of a meme that Kris Carter of this parish made. Daisy Bryar is a fucking thief. https://www.redbubble.com/i/sticker/Red-Dwarf-Cat-Meme-by-DaisyBryar/46162499.EJUG5

Haha, fucking hell… I do admire G&T’s “@Drivaaar made this” crusade on Twitter anytime someone posts that image saying “hahah who made this?”. Thanks peeps!

My brother got a me a Red Dwarf JMC logo hoodie that’s super comfy, but the logo proudly states “Jupiter Mining Company”, which makes my eye twitch.

GlenTokyo
    Participant

The fact that you currently can’t get anything but bootleg merch is daft isn’t it.

GNP always having the classics available, Smeg head, a JMC one, Mugs Murphy, couple of 90s reissues etc would be a constant stream of cash, not going to fund a series but might pay for a few rented props.

Dave
    Participant

What did you all have of the original 90s T-shirts? I had the Ace Rimmer one but always wanted Let’s Get Out There And Twat It, (but was forbidden due to the rude word.)

desbug
    Participant

I had the Let’s Get Out There And Twat It one, which had one slight drawback – the abbreviation was LGOTATI which didn’t make sense and wasn’t funny.

I am tempted by this thread to go and buy some bootleg merchandise. Unless an official shop reopens quickly!

The fact that you currently can’t get anything but bootleg merch is daft isn’t it.

GNP always having the classics available, Smeg head, a JMC one, Mugs Murphy, couple of 90s reissues etc would be a constant stream of cash, not going to fund a series but might pay for a few rented props.

It does seem daft, but presumably the official store got closed down because it wasn’t worth running? After the initial flurry of everyone buying new merch when it launched, they probably sold a mug once a month, so to have someone managing that would be more than it’s worth.

Maybe.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It didn’t help that the official store was a bag of shit. If I was GNP, I’d be looking into a print on demand model.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Also, I spotted someone selling stickers of a meme that Kris Carter of this parish made. Daisy Bryar is a fucking thief.

This has made me think about what a copyright minefield memes are.

Obviously “DaisyBryar” deserves no profits for just stealing it, and legally (though not necessarily fairly) I expect both Kris and the Twitter user who paired the two images to create the original template for the ‘Woman Yelling At Cat’ meme also can’t sell them because they used the source images without permission. But who would they even ask for permission from?

In this specific example, you’ve got a screen grab of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills as the source image on the left, a photo taken by a Tumblr user as the source image on the right, and shots from Red Dwarf edited onto both sides. Trying to organise completely above board official merch of this meme would be like the negotiations to get the 60s Batman series released on DVD.

So I can see why people end up feeling like memes are basically the wild west and they can do what they want with them, even though it’s still really shitty.

ARossiEsquire
    Participant

What did you all have of the original 90s T-shirts? I had the Ace Rimmer one but always wanted Let’s Get Out There And Twat It, (but was forbidden due to the rude word.)

Only a couple of tees, Smoke Me A Kipper and the Smeg Head logo. Mum wouldn’t let me have any with swear words on (even though 13 year old me argued that oral sex could be “another way of saying discussing gender”)

si
    Participant

My favourite original shirt was the one with the Better Than Life cover on the front, and “It’s the ideal game with only one drawback – it’s so good it will kill you” on the back.

I wore it to death, and it started to fall apart. So when I was 16 I cut the shirt in half, and made two bandanas from the front and back. Other official shirts I had (and still have) were the Space Corps Directive shirt, and an Gunmen-style shirt with western-type posters on it – pics of Rimmer and Lister on the front, and a quote from the episode on the back. Think I had the original Smoke Me A Kipper shirt, too – the recent reprint was actually eversoslightly different.
    The shirt I always wanted, that I saw advertised in the Smegazine but (surprise) never got, was one with an ill-over Starbug print.

Dave
    Participant

Think I had the original Smoke Me A Kipper shirt, too – the recent reprint was actually eversoslightly different.

I think the original original didn’t have the dates on the back, did it? That was the one I had.

desbug
    Participant

The shirt I always wanted, that I saw advertised in the Smegazine but (surprise) never got, was one with an ill-over Starbug print.

That shirt sounds sick.

(I assume the cool kidz still say things like that)

GlenTokyo
    Participant

Print on demand would make sense, there’s also things like For fans by fans (?) Where you can submit designs that are officially sold and you get a cut of the profit without any dodgy copyright issues.

The Sandbag or whatever it was store was dogshit, but it didn’t help that a lot of the designs were a bit crap/ looked alright but you’d never wear them (full Kryten)/ full of spelling mistakes and all were labelled with the series which in my opinion automatically makes them worse.

clem
    Participant

Yeah I really liked the look of the Third Technician hoodie but the XI and episode titles around the JMC logo put me off.

I don’t remember how it came up but didn’t Rob say something about new merch on one of the recent quarantine commentaries?

Hamish
    Participant

I am getting Google promoting the DaisyBryar sticker with its adverts now. Thanks guys.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Oh god, it kills me.

Makes me twitch.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.