Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Christopher Nolan saw Red Dwarf

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    performingmonkey
    Participant
    GlenTokyo

I don’t get it.

Just the backwards stuff?

When I saw the official Twitter had tweeted about it I thought it was an actual reference or something a bit more obscure.

Dave

I had exactly the same thought when I saw the trailer.

Ben Saunders

I don’t really get how it’s so related to Red Dwarf that they have to tweet about it… the whole “this hasn’t happened yet” (or whatever) thing happens in The Space Museum in 60s Who of all things, and of course I don’t assume they came up with it. Maybe there’s something more specific I’m missing

Dave

The trailers don’t spoil it, but the end of Tenet is a gloriously-filmed reverse shit in the bushes.

tombow

he was an 18 year old sci fi fan living in the UK when RD started, so he must have at least known about it

performingmonkey
    Participant

I’ve seen various comments from people who know nothing of RD talking about what happens when they eat/shit etc. and it’s so glorious to point them toward ‘Backwards’ in response. :D

Obviously none of this is meant to be an actual reference to Dwarf, but we’ll never know if a young Nolan’s viewing of series 3 has had any influence on proceedings.

Dave

Well, we might. It depends on what’s in the movie.

I like the look of the fight in the auditorium (or whatever it’s called) with the audience asleep, or dear. So it does the job of intriguing me without giving away anything of the plot. That’s pretty good for a modern day trailer. I hope any trailers coming keep it up.

Ben Saunders

It all looks a bit… Christopher Nolan. He tries to make everything look real (and I believe he does most of it for real, like the plane scene in Dark Knight Rises), but as a result it can look a little… boring. You can do some more interesting camera movements, Chris, it doesn’t just have to be a long shot, we’ll take your word for it that it’s not CGI or anything. I’m not even asking for CGI, it’s just… it’s like the entire goal of his direction is to make things “look real”, but you can shoot real things in a much more pace-y manner. There are some famous examples of action scenes in The Dark Knight Rises which are awkward, with various silly things happening in them, and I gather you’re supposed to be impressed by how this is all really happening and they did it for real, in one take etc. But I’ve never really been interested in anything that’s done in one take, I just think… well done? It becomes more about wanking off the director for being really clever than what’s actually going to propel the story or the action forward.

I did appreciate how the trailer was kept to a much better level of intrigue and not just explaining the entire plot of the movie, though, I’ll give it that.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>It all looks a bit… Christopher Nolan.

Everything I want from a Christopher Nolan movie. Excellent.

Dave

I don’t know, I’m going to be pissed off if this is yet another Christopher Nolan film that looks like it was directed by Christopher Nolan.

Does this mean that the next Red Dwarf special will have Michael Caine in having a backwards dump?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.