Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Holly Question

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I’ve been wondering as of the past week or so for Series XIII if Holly were to return as played by Norman Lovett. Would you want to see Hattie Hayridge make at least a cameo appearance?

I was reading over the announcement from last year on this website of Holly being confirmed due to Norman spilling the beans pre-XII and the comments were a mix of disappointment for having the surprise spoiled and disappointment cause Hattie wasn’t chosen. Of course the episode required Norman’s Holly but still, I wonder which Holly people would rather see again (Though if Holly were to return the odds are it’d be Norman Holly).

Personally, it wouldn’t matter to me if Holly came back or not, but if Holly did I’d at least like to see both Norman and Hattie make appearances, even if Hattie only gets a cameo.

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

Hattie Hayridge isn’t coming back to Red Dwarf. Not only has she stated quite clearly that she wouldn’t want to come back, I’m not sure what purpose it would serve other than to appease a minority of nostalgic fans.

bloodteller
    Participant

i think at this point it’d be daft for hattie to come back as holly. he’s already gone from being played by norman, then being played by hattie, then BACK to being played by norman, then disappearing for 3 series. for holly to come back and be played by hattie again would be a bit messy i think.

Katydid
    Participant

Why is the OP speaking as if we don’t already know for a fact we’re getting Norman back full time?

Dis true?

MANI506
    Participant

One of my hobbies is listening to Dwarf Casts and in the Skipper instant reaction episode Jo mentioned that Hattie should have been in the background of the Mr Rat scene. That would have been so perfect and I’m annoyed it didn’t happen.

As ever, I prefer Norm’s Holly, but I prefer Hattie as a person.

bloodteller
    Participant

hattie has a better haircut than norm, too.

Toxteth O-Grady
    Participant

When has Hattie “stated quite clearly that she wouldn’t want to come back”?
    She did DVD commentaries, DVD extras, and regularly appears at comic con panels with the rest of the cast. With that in mind it seems odd that she’d categorically say she’d never come back.

I saw her and Chris at an event prior to Series XI, and when asked if Holly was coming back she said “…not in series 11, anyway”.
    I’m guessing she knew that Norman had filmed his part for series XII at that point, and was therefore being coy by teasing the possibility that *she* might return. But she certainly never gave any impression that she’d never do the role again. I always got the impression she’s just never been offered.

Besides, I remember just a few years ago everyone saying that Norman would never be coming back, that he’d burned his bridges with Red Dwarf – and look how that turned out.

Katydid
    Participant

Jo mentioned that Hattie should have been in the background of the Mr Rat scene. That would have been so perfect and I’m annoyed it didn’t happen.

The perfect tribute to her work on Red Dwarf, flying her out to just sit silently in the background for one scene.

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

>When has Hattie “stated quite clearly that she wouldn’t want to come back”?

Red Dwarf’s worst kept secret emerges further from the bag

“Having spoken to Hattie at Gallifrey One this weekend, I think she feels she’s aged out of the role”

Toxteth O-Grady
    Participant

She’s aged better than most of the cast, but I get her point – she’s supposed to be a computer and therefore shouldn’t physically age at all.
    On the other hand; if they lit her a certain way, upped the posterisation of the video and maybe pixelated it a bit, I think she’d get away with it.
    Norman’s (visual) appearance in Skipper looked pretty dreadful. Badly lit and way too much makeup. They really should’ve brought back some of the Series I pixelation effect or something. He looks much better IRL than he did there.

I’d argue the makeups fine on Norman, its just the harsh blue lighting makes his wrinkles pop-out more.

They really need to tone down the blue next season, frankly.

Thing is with Norm, he looked like he was getting on in the first series, so him looking old isn’t quite as jarring as Hattie, who looked pretty young when she started out.

Of course that’s no excuse for killing him and then exhuming his corpse for his appearance in Skipper.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Norm looked awful in the first promo pic and weird on my first viewing of Skipper, but by my second viewing I had become accustomed to it and it was nowhere near as jarring. Mac actually looks very good now he’s lost weight.

I’m not really fond on the pixelation effect. Heck, bring back the blue background with the shit CSO making parts of his face transparent and then occasionally just using a still image of that for some reason….

Why is he a still image sometimes in Series 1?

Flap Jack
    Participant

Who should play Holly in Series XIII?

Well, I would go with Norman… but I’d be thinking of Hattie.

cwickham
    Participant

Why is he a still image sometimes in Series 1?

I presume that was a side effect of originally planning to have him as a voiceover only, then changing their minds on that during production.

bloodteller
    Participant

the only episode i remember him being a still image in was Future Echoes, and that’s when he’s pretending to not be in to troll Rimmer. so it was probably intentional

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Actually it might be that, bloodteller

Plastic Percy
    Participant

I think the most obvious example of him being edited in is Lister’s argument with him at the start of ‘Balance of Power’. He never addresses the mirror screen where Holly typically appears and just talks to the heavens.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

There are also a few moments where he is noticeably still just a voiceover, including Future Echoes when Lister asks Holly where the Cat is when he’s on his way to eat Lister’s fish

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.