Howard Goodall is a fucking idiot

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Howard Goodall is a fucking idiot

This topic contains 34 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by  Flap Jack 2 months ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Spare Hand One

Here’s musician and writer Momus on how Howard Goodall inspired one of his recent records despite being an “aesthetic reactionary,” “fucking idiot,” and “like David Cameron’s ginger cousin.” Ace.

(Timecode 40:45 in case it doesn’t automatically work for you).

Katydid

Is this guy deliberately being an asshole, or does it just come naturally?

Bargain Bin Holly

The Hitler-mustache/eye-patch combo aren’t doing him many favours

Plastic Percy

Doing a bit of digging, turns out the guy wears an eyepatch as he’s blind in one eye, so I’ll let him off.

I think Howard Goodall is a bit of a prick, but that’s just because he only seemed to come up in my Twitter feed when he was retweeting anti-Corbyn posts. It’s why I stopped following him, Robert Webb and JK Rowling.

Ben Saunders

Robert Webb’s Twitter is just atrocious

steven87gill

It’s been depressing watching so many celebs who I’ve looked up to over the years shitting the bed big time over Corbyn.

“Politically homeless” is a phrase that makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Flap Jack

It’s weird that you’re bumping this thread today, because today is the day I unfollowed Robert Webb.

Not due to him criticising Jeremy Corbyn, but due to his transphobia. He hasn’t had any outbursts or anything, but he’s made a number of dodgy statements already and people have been prodding him; it feels like it’s only a matter of time before he goes Full Linehan, and I do NOT want to be in that blast radius.

Darrell

I’m not sure if I want an account here anymore. Genuinely.

Darrell

Yeah, not for me. I’m out.

These forums have been trolled to death for ages anyway but if we’re cheering on calling Howard Goodall – one of the nicest, kindest most generous people I have ever spoken to – a “prick” and a “fucking idiot” and doing wokebro bully routines as an encore then fuck off.

I mean, I’m hardly the Dalai Lama on here and never have been but fuck me this is just grim. Red Dwarf’s over anyway. Tarah.

Bargain Bin Holly

Maybe the bleak, lonely, pointless emptiness of our hopeless futile predicament is beginning to get to him.

Dave

Sorry you’re leaving Darrell.

Red Dwarf’s over anyway.

This seems a bit much, though.

Flap Jack

For what it’s worth, the only reason I didn’t charge in to defend Howard Goodall’s honour in this thread is that I assumed it was a given that he’s awesome.

He was a regular interviewee on Cunk On Britain recently, and he was great.

I mean, nobody who wrote such great lyrics for the Red Dwarf theme could ever be credibly regarded as an idiot!

Paul Muller

I’ll always love Howard, the man’s a genius and always comes across as a genuinely nice guy.

Whatever his tweet related sins, at least he’s not Frances Barber…

Bargain Bin Holly

BTW tho, we weren’t calling Goodall a “fucking idiot” anyway, in fact I’m pretty sure this thread was made to laugh at such claims.

Hamish

Goodall does not have to be my hero for me to like and respect his work. I don’t need to follow the man on Twitter though.

Plastic Percy

I really like his music. I just don’t like his political views.

steven87gill

Yeah the thread title is a bit low. I may disagree with *some* of his politics but keep it classy G&T.

Hamish

To be fair, it is a quote. Would the inclusion of inverted commas soothed your nerves a bit?

Pete Part Three

That’s just tabloid shittery to excuse an antagonistic headline. I’d hope we’re all above that. But I’d also hope we’re above antagonistic headlines, anyway.

Evidently not.

Flap Jack

Boy, the journalistic standards of-

[checks notes]

– the Ganymede & Titan forums sure are slipping.

To think we used to have threads with INTEGRITY like “What if Lister drank milk instead of lager?”, yet now it’s come to this. For shame.

Taiwan Tony

When I read this thread title I immediately assumed it was a play on the Collings and Herrin catchphrase “Your mum is a fucking idiot.”
    Which now I think of it, is a bit of a leap.

Hamish

> That’s just tabloid shittery to excuse an antagonistic headline. I’d hope we’re all above that. But I’d also hope we’re above antagonistic headlines, anyway.

I really don’t think it is fair to pass scorn on Spare Hand One for operating well within the operating parameters laid down quite clearly in the “RECOMMENDATIONS” section.

…wait, you mean those are not rules to live by?

Oh dear.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

Everything about this thread is unnecessary. I hope you’ll reconsider, Darrell, if you’re still reading. There’ll always be dickheads on here, but they come and go, so I like the good ones to stick around.

And just for clarity, I’d like to draw everyone’s attention to one of only a handful of things that make up our humble rules and policies:

Visitors to the site should also note that front page articles and forum topics are very different things – each post in the forum, or comment left on an article, is also solely representative of the person who wrote it, not the site as a whole.

Paul Muller

I did cringe a bit when I saw that Topic title pop up on the front page.

Also, for what it’s worth I try and avoid talking about politics too much on here – there’s enough Corbyn bashing/Centrist bashing on my Twitter timeline as it is – it’s nice to come here and get away from it sometimes and spend some time talking about normal things like recurring corridor piping.

Hamish

Just to be clear, and leaving levity aside for a moment, I don’t really support calling people “fucking idiots” and “pricks”, but at the same I do think Spare Hand One was just trying to draw attention to something in much the same manner as the Richard Herring thread did, so I have been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

That this thread has resulted in unfortunate unpleasantness all round is in no doubt.

performingmonkey

GO OUTSIDE. Breath in some fucking fresh air. Yes, Twitter stops you from having to think about your own life, but DO think about your life for one fucking second. Stressing about celebrities’ political views is one of the biggest wastes of time known to man. Make yourself bigger and better than all of this shit. You don’t enjoy this. It’s just a safe illusion of ‘enjoyment’ because you only have to move a finger and stare at a screen to access it.

The writer of this thread title, on a Red Dwarf forum, IS a fucking idiot. You don’t do this. Even the impolite don’t do it! (slight reference to my avatar there) You are an impolite, cowardly cunt. When you have created what Howard has created, then maybe you could talk.

Flap Jack

Unrumble!

[starts reverse-punching teeth into people’s faces]

bloodteller

>You don’t do this. Even the impolite don’t do it! (slight reference to my avatar there)

It’s just not done in polite society! It’s not done in impolite society! Even the impolite don’t do it…

bloodteller

Coincidentally, I was watching Seinfeld just the other day which is probably why I instantly recognised that quote. By the way, what’s the deal with DVDs of that show? It comes in a slipcase, which is inside another slipcase, and inside that you’ve got this weird booklet shit that you have to fold out like a scroll and then you’ve got 4 discs to pick from and then you put them in and there’ like 3 different ways to watch the episode and by that point, you’re just thinking “Fuck me, I wish I’d never have bothered”

cwickham

The Seinfeld DVDs archive alternate versions of the episodes, don’t they, hence the different ways to watch the episode?

Compare The Simpsons, which doesn’t bother to archive alternate versions and often uses the worse of two alternatives.

Flap Jack

Anyone else seeing a thread under “Recent Replies” which doesn’t appear on the Forum page, and gives you a 404 error when you follow the link?

Spooooky.

Lily

>Anyone else seeing a thread under “Recent Replies” which doesn’t appear on the Forum page, and gives you a 404 error when you follow the link?

Yup.

Dave

The one about publicity photos? Yep.

This has happened before – usually something posted in the thread has broken the forum code somehow.

Ben Kirkham

I’m hugely disappointed about threads like this. Howard Goodall is entitled to his political views, whatever they are. I have massive respect for the man because he is responsible for some excellent music (both Red Dwarf and elsewhere) and always comes across as a kind and generous man. Get a grip.

Flap Jack

I feel like people are maybe overreacting to this thread a smidge?

Spare Hand One linked to Momus calling Howard Goodall an idiot, and a total of two (2) people expressed some level of (but far from total) agreement, while everyone else disagreed resolutely. I know it’s a touch unpleasant, but it’s not quite the Two Minutes Hate…

The real sin of this thread is that there’s nothing to discuss.

“Howard Goodall’s a bit of a prick.”

“No he isn’t.”

“Oh, you’re right, he isn’t.”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“… yeah, I think I’ve got somewhere else to be.”

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.