Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Viewing 81 posts - 1 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    penny
    Participant

I found the trailer of it when I went to check my emails and then found the official site: http://www.indianajones.com/site/index.html
    Guess who’s in it….the guy from Transformers, Shia LaBeouf :D

Also came across this too: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X7fux_fiXjE
    Which is cute…aw!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Saw the trailer the day it became available, because one of my co-workers is an Indy Nut. It’s good to see Ford back in that costume.

Andrew
    Participant

Anyone remember the Episode III Star Wars trailer? The music editing on that trailer was fucking awful, too.

I like a lot of what we’re seeing in that teaser. But I’ll need time to be comfortable with digital effects in Indy movies, and the greenscreen on the car chase had better be temporary…

Al
    Participant

Its always right to be dubious with these new sequels, but so far Im pretty hopeful. Did anyone else notice the crate that was humming had Roswell 1947 written on the side of it? Thats all pretty cool, as long as if any aliens involved theyre mystical and Godlike, in keeping with the franchise. I cant wait to see more of the Raiders box warehouse. Oh and Andrew Im with you on the greenscreen!

Nakrophile
    Participant

I have hard.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

The music editing on that trailer was fucking awful, too.

Ditto the song at the beginning of the 27 Dresses trailer.

pfm
    Participant

Personally I think it’s a crap trailer considering this has the potential to be one of the highest-grossing films in the last ten years. The only decent shot of the new material is Indy putting the hat on in silhouette. Oh, and when he says ‘part time’. Everything else is either dodgy unfinished effects shots or ridiculous whip work.

I KNOW it’s Indy but it’s barely acceptable that he smashes through the windscreen, manages to say a punchline without the two guys even reacting, then proceeds to take them out. It’s like a parody of a parody! This was never really going to be Raiders mk 2 but…I mean COME ON! (as said by that character in the Marc Wootten sketch show)

Also, the first half of the trailer makes it seem more like Schindler’s List than Indy. If you compare this to the masterful Dark Knight promotion it’s really really dire. It’s coming out in a couple of months and the plebs are only just realising. They’re absolutely crazy.

Mr Flibble
    Participant

It was never going to be one of the highest grossing films of the last 10 years. IIRC it’s being predicted to do OK, but it’s not going to be the highest grossing of the year by a long way.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I mean COME ON! (as said by that character in the Marc Wootten sketch show)

Never do that again.

pfm
    Participant

> Never do that again.

Red Dwarf, WHAT’S ALL THAT ABOUT?? I mean COME ON!! It’s funny ’cause it’s true!!!

*apologies*

TheLeen
    Participant

In the trailer, I didn’t like the first half. Backflashes are so… fan-trailer like. Cheap.

But, oh, Dr. Jones, put on that hat. The silhouette of you. The sound of the whip. Rawr.

That’s all I care about.

Ridley
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsGaB52hfjc

Second trailer for those that don’t want to navigate Flash

Andrew
    Participant

I like it when Marleen goes ‘rawr’…

Greenscreen stuff in the driving sequences still doesn’t look great, most CGI seems good if oddly ‘wrong’ for an Indy film (blame the nostalgia factor there, cos the actual FX in Last Crusade were sometimes VERY poor), and I still find Ford waaaaay too old. But yeah, it’s cool, I’m very much in.

Though I’d by lying if I didn’t admit that a half-dozen franchises were actually proving more enticing this summer.

pfm
    Participant

> and I still find Ford waaaaay too old

But he’s carrying it off well considering he’s 65. As long as there aren’t TOO many old man jokes in the film (though you just know there will be some).

ChrisM
    Participant

I saw a trailer for this briefly today on the TV. The shot at the end with all the people had a very Temple of Doom look to it, I thought.

I’m looking forward to this film a lot. Not too keen on the fact Shia La Bouef is in it, but that’s mainly because I found him a bit irritating in Transformers, (not that I disliked that film as a whole.) I don’t think it’s fair to judge a young actor on one film though, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

>> and I still find Ford waaaaay too old

> But he?s carrying it off well considering he?s 65. As long as there aren?t TOO many old man jokes in the film (though you just know there will be some).

Well, I still would.

pfm
    Participant

Sadly, the first reviews are pretty negative. Nothing would stop me from seeing this though.

Rad
    Participant

Have there been any reviews? I’ve not seen any myself yet.

John Hoare
    Participant

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36667

You may choose between:

a) Linking to AICN? I cannot believe I just did that.

b) Face it, the site’s crap, anyway anybody could have done it, I hate the lot of you, bollocks to you.

Nakrophile
    Participant

Yes!

ChrisM
    Participant

I agree, that second trailer did look slow.

I’m gonna keep an open mind though. There are a few shows critics (and even lots of members of the internet community) pan which I rather like.

There was one thing in the trailer I thought to be a rather major spoiler though. I think they should have left it out.

What bit? You want me to spoil it for you?

Ok, on your own head be it…
    *****SPOILERS********************Sorry I noticed blank lines tend to be gobbled up.

The creatures you see in the temple. I think they should have be kept a surprise. Indy mentions “The skull is guarded by…” (note I’m keeping the spoilers minor) and then you see them lurching on screen. Part of the fun of these films is that the supernatural aspect doesn’t usually appear until the end of the film, and when it does it’s a surprise.

Ridley
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od38l7Kvikg

Trailer 3. More the same for the most part though.

And just for the Ellard http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=14191 >:D

Andrew
    Participant

> And just for the Ellard http://raven.theraider.net/showthread.php?t=14191 >:D

This was a TV broadcast? Don’t recall the DVD edition being especially different, but they did do a few small clean ups.

Seems unlikely that it’s been CGI tampered, as opposed to the original elements being re-worked. More facts needed first.

But…why me?

ChrisM
    Participant

Probably just me but… isn’t it a bit of a misnomer for a crystal skull to be made of gold?

Andrew
    Participant

> Probably just me but? isn?t it a bit of a misnomer for a crystal skull to be made of gold?

Um…what?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

“The colour of gold is gold, that’s why it’s called gold. But what they have, if it has a name, is some ‘invisible’…”

pfm
    Participant

Watched Temple of Doon on Sunday for the first time in a long while (in full fucking screen, no less, because the BBC is the UK’s premier broadcaster) and by the Christ-child it’s bad. Well…mostly. The action at the end saves it, along with a couple of darker moments that helped spawn the PG-13 rating, but aside from that it’s impossible to see this as being the follow-up to the amazing Raiders. In fact, you wonder what the hell happened to Spielberg after directing two flawless movies (Raiders and ET) that made him conjure the insanity of ‘Doom’. I suppose he wanted to do something more light-hearted. Maybe.

It defies sense why the Doom vs Crusade debate even exists. Crusade may have its flaws but it beats Doom hands down. I would hope Skull beats it too (although surely it can’t have as much action as Doom. Action is way more expensive now to pull off)

One thing I noticed that I’ve never seen before is Dan Aykroyd appearing near the beginning. They don’t really show his face but it’s clearly his voice. He’s the guy showing them to the plane. That’s such a random cameo.

TheLeen
    Participant

> but aside from that it?s impossible to see this as being the follow-up to the amazing Raiders

Wel, Temple has this kinda nice scene where Indy and Kate Capshaw’s character bitch at each other. I like that. It’s vaguely got a rough “scoundrel dialogue” feel to it. Uhm.

> One thing I noticed that I?ve never seen before is Dan Aykroyd

Huh? What? Really? Voice? Are you sure? imdb knows nothing of it.
    (I wouldn’t know, only ever seen the dubbed version which clearly didn’t have Dan Akroyd’s voice in it, hehe.)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

There’s no decent close-ups of his face which doesn’t help, but he’s recognisable.

Personally, I think Temple gets a bad press it doesn’t deserve. I think the action sequences are better than Raiders, and there’s more of a beginning, middle and end to the plot (even if they do “fall” into it) rather than just a load of running around after an ark.

TheLeen
    Participant

When I first saw the three films I hadn’t read any press. I just enjoyed Temple less than the other two.

Andrew
    Participant

> I suppose he wanted to do something more light-hearted. Maybe.

When Temple of Doom is by far the darkest of the films? (Allegedly partly due to Lucas and is immediately post-divorce mood.)

> It defies sense why the Doom vs Crusade debate even exists.

I like Doom. The debate is reasonable and healthy. Crusade works too hard to imitate Raiders.

> Action is way more expensive now to pull off

It’s…what?

> That?s such a random cameo.

It’s actually a returned favour for Speilberg’s cameo in The Blues Brothers. But it’s shot in a wide because it’s not meant to steal your attention or be the point of the scene.

That said, the film was made to be shown in cinemas – at which point your view of the character’s face would have been significantly better.

Andrew
    Participant

For anyone interested, Empire’s day by day build up to the release includes a lot of stuff on the topics that have just popped up:

http://www.empireonline.com/indy/

Pete Part Three
    Participant

^The interview with the guys who remade Raiders is fascinating.

>When Temple of Doom is by far the darkest of the films? (Allegedly partly due to Lucas and is immediately post-divorce mood.)

What do you think makes it “dark” though? The “darkest” bit of the trilogy for me is the Nazis getting their comeuppance at the end of Raiders. Bound to cause a few more nightmares than Indy going bad or children being kidnapped.

Andrew
    Participant

> The ?darkest? bit of the trilogy for me is the Nazis getting their comeuppance at the end of Raiders.

Well I specifically coming back at the suggestion that Doom is somehow more light-hearted than Raiders. But I do think it’s a film that spends a lot more time in harsher, grimmer places.

While the end of Raiders is certainly up there, it is, as you say, a moment of comeuppance. It’s scary imagery, but it’s also fairly brief, and it sets the world to rights. It defeats the villains. Ultimately, it’s reassuring as a message.

The kidnap and drugged slavery of children is more consistently grim – especially for a young audience who will identify with the kids being abused – and Indy, the definite hero, being rendered ‘bad’ leaves you helpless in a way Raiders never did. Add to that the impossible-to-defend-yourself-against ‘voodoo’, the pulling out of hearts, death by crocodiles…it’s more relentless overall.

Actually, it hangs its flag early – the early poisoning of the hero and the reveal of Lao-Che’s plane show is a story where Indy is even more subject to outside forces than he was in Raiders. It makes sense, and keeps him from being a superhero, but I think it leaves the outcome even more in doubt – which makes for a less reassuring experience for most of the runtime.

Ridley
    Participant

But?why me?

I heard you liked greenscreen so… yeah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my-mnBbCI7g (ToD) Fair use? Really?

Andrew
    Participant

> I heard you liked greenscreen

Erm…okay. That’s…odd.

> Fair use? Really?

And yeah, so’s that!

Andrew
    Participant

> In the trailer Indy mentions a skull made of ?pure gold?.

No, he mentions a CITY made of pure gold.

ChrisM
    Participant

Probably just me but? isn?t it a bit of a misnomer for a crystal skull to be made of gold?

Um?what?

In the trailer Indy mentions a skull made of ‘pure gold’. That’s what I was referring too.

Not a bigee, I guess it’s magical anyway.
    EDIT- OK Andrew, just caught your reply. I obviously need to clean out my ears.

As for Temple of Doom, I remembered liking it a lot. Catching part of it again I found myself wincing a bit in places but overall it’s still a good film as long as it’s not analyzed to deeply.

The things that made me wince seemed to mainly be the way the indians were portrayed, particularly in the Thuggee ceremony. (Don’t get me wrong, the main sequence was wonderfully creepy and atmospheric all._ Not that all indians in the film are portrayed that way though, to be fair, but it made me a bit uncomfortable for some reason. I’m not so sure its the fault of the film though. It’s not as if all Indians in the film are portrayed that way. And historically the thuggees were very brutal at times (not that the British army wasn’t), although I don’t think their statues of Kali were usually that demonic.

Maybe it the modern notions of political correctness infecting me. (Again not that the main message of political correctness itself is bad.) I hope not.

So yeah, not a criticism of the film at all, but I find it interesting how one’s reaction to a film can differ from time to time.

Oh and the kid using a voodoo doll… bit of a mixing of cultures there I think…

Still a great film though. As I said, best not to analyze too deep.

pfm
    Participant

I thought he meant the temple was made of gold, not the skull. If you’ve read any spoilers you’ll know the ‘crystal’ skull is in fact neither gold nor crystal…

Regarding the Doom debate, the ‘darkness’ of hearts being ripped out, Indy going bad, kids enslaved etc. all feels out of place in the middle of the comedy rollercoaster style of the rest of the movie. I hate the ‘comedy’ as well, with Kate Capshaw screaming and fainting. Whenever I’ve watched it I just want to skip to the temple part due to this.

The Lucas divorce thing is brought up as the reason for someone having their heart ripped out!

ChrisM
    Participant

I found that guys aparent change to normality strange too. Well about as normal as you can get when your tied to a platform thing about to be sacrificed in the bowels of the earth…

After having his heart ripped out I mean. True, he was probably in shock, but even so…

Ridley
    Participant

Regarding the Doom debate, the ?darkness? of hearts being ripped out, Indy going bad, kids enslaved etc. all feels out of place in the middle of the comedy rollercoaster style of the rest of the movie.

I believe it was actually made the other way round, with the comedy inserted balance the dark.

I’ve read that the banquet scene was supposed to be a joke whereby the Thuggee feed them what ignorant foreigners expect from an Indian. If it was, the execution on screen’s too subtle to the point of not being there, but it’s not that hard to assume they’re all supposed to be members of the cult.

The screenplay has Jones pointing out “Even if they were trying to scare us away, a devout Hindu would never touch meat.”

Phil
    Participant

>If you?ve read any spoilers you?ll know the ?crystal? skull is in fact neither gold nor crystal?

And if you haven’t, you just have.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I’m not watching it now. I specifically wanted a CRYSTAL skull.

pfm
    Participant

Well it’s crystal-looking. I should stop reading spoilers for EVERYTHING but I can’t help it. For god’s sake don’t read the BBFC’s 12A classification notes on the movie because they reveal too much. But oh yes it needs the 12A.

Andrew
    Participant

> I?m not watching it now. I specifically wanted a CRYSTAL skull.

Also, the Ark spends a good part of the first film not being lost, the Temple of Doom turns out to be where Indy helps everyone escape, and there’s probably going to be another Crusade seeing as the grail isn’t actually recovered at the end.

Dave
    Participant

>I should stop reading spoilers for EVERYTHING but I can?t help it

Could you stop writing them?

Ridley
    Participant

I bet he’s a woman that bloke. No, you think it’s the future but it’s actually set in the past. It’s not Earth. It’s all a dream. They’re all clones. He’s his own brother. Everyone’s a ghost.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I hear there’s a twist in this film!

peas_and_corn
    Participant

Yep- a twist of lemon in Indy’s drink

Nakrophile
    Participant

Anyway I have always loved Temple of Doom. It gets such a bad rep, and although Kate Capshaw is pretty damn irritating at times Short Round is genius. I still cannot really decide which of the trilogy I like the best, but it’s fair to say that the last two films both have flaws and Raiders does that. That said they are all fantastic.

pfm
    Participant

Even though Last Crusade has dodgy moments I think the opening 15 minutes of it are exactly what Indy should be about. And it also includes this choice moment –

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-DGFuHC75aY

Nakrophile
    Participant

I have forgotten if anyone had mentioned it already but watching Last Crusade again the new one will have to have a fucking good ending, as this one was perfect.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Marty

“It’s your kids, something’s gotta be done about your kids!!!”

“Grails? Where we’re going we won’t need, Grails…”

etc etc.

Ridley
    Participant

Seems to have gotten mostly positive reviews. I’d link but some of these things have spoilers.

Edit: So has anyone else seen this yet? While for the most part I liked it and have issues with some parts (namely the finale), I can see why some have and will be calling foul on Lucas/Spielberg. It isn’t much like the other three and there is some CGI that was completely unnecessary. Ooh if that green screen in the trailer annoyed you… ho boy.

Andrew
    Participant

> So has anyone else seen this yet?

Yep.

I have yet to fully articulate my opinion. It is not positive.

Ridley
    Participant

By how much? ;) The thing is, with the same ideas, I think they could have been done better.

pfm
    Participant

> ?It?s your kids, something?s gotta be done about your kids!!!?

I think that every time! ‘What did I tell you!! Eiiighty eiight miiiiles per hooouuur!!’

As for Crystal Skull… if you haven’t seen it and you’re wondering why the reviews are a bit weird (for want of a better word), once you DO see it you’ll wonder no more!!

I’m a massive fan of Raiders and Crusade (not so much Doom…, although I liked it when I was 10) which, sadly, is something of a bad thing going into this. Maybe not for the first 20-30 minutes (lead-lined refrigerators aside) which I enjoyed to a point. I actually welled up with the shot of the photo of Henry Jones Sr. (Sean Connery) with John Williams’s classic theme from Crusade playing over it. It’s like…nearly 20 years of me loving the fuck out of that film being paid off with one shot, which was very cool indeed.

There are quite a few positives, in the first half of the movie at least. Shia LaBeouf comes in and he should silence all the people who keep laying into him because he’s GOOD in this film. I sat up during the bike chase through the university and thought ‘yeah, this is what we want!!’ it was old-school Spielberg action, and the comedy here is about the only place it works in the whole movie. Shia’s chemistry with Ford is something that should have been in it MORE, but they hardly even say a line to each other in the last 45 minutes or so. Such a shame after some real character scenes.

That brings me to a major criticism – there’s not enough for ANY of the characters to do in Skull, mainly at the end. Imagine at the end of Doom if Indy, Willie and Short Round just sat in the mine car and there was no danger, they had nothing to do, no enemies to fend off. That’s what the end of Skull is like. They’re just watching things happen (strange, confusing CG things that neither David Koepp’s shit script nor Spielberg’s fluctuating formidable/dismal effort in the director’s chair can handle). Spielberg seems to find it very hard to end his big films these days. Everything from The Lost World onwards. But it’s not his fault the script is fucking excerable. It doesn’t feel like Indy has a motive or anything to do with the outcome of the film. One of the worst things is him returning the skull because the skull ‘tells’ him to do so. That would be like in Crusade him going after the Grail because Christ ‘told’ him to or something.

Without wanting to bang on about it too much, Indy 4 is mostly just OK but with a below average second half that descends into utter pus (three waterfalls…I was yawning, Marion driving off the cliff onto the tree…I was looking at my watch, Shia with the monkeys…I was weeping, the CG ending…I was CURSING)

Btw, John Hurt has one of the worst lines of all-time at the end after Indy asks ‘where did they go, space?’ It actually reminded me of something Kryten would say, then there would be a LAUGH because it’s a sitcom, not the end of an Indiana Jones movie.

Ridley
    Participant
    TheLeen
    Participant

Going this afternoon, opinion to follow!

TheLeen
    Participant

Back. I loved it. I even liked Shia LaBeouf in it.

(Opinion containing spoilers)

I thought the film was very Indy. All that I’d hoped for. They could’ve fucked this up a whole lot more and I’d half expected that, too.

Nakrophile
    Participant

I am massively disappointed. It was shit, although there were some good bits. Not many, though. Not very many at all.

pfm
    Participant

On second viewing I liked it better. The end is still pretty dire though. I particularly dislike the bit where they come running out of the Mayan pyramid, you see the Mayans for about 2 seconds then that’s IT, the next time you see them they’re all dead on the floor (in a PG style, of course, don’t know why they gave this PG-13/12A).

John Hurt’s character, Prof Oxley, is ridiculous. When he comes ‘back’ at the end it doesn’t mean anything to the audience because we’ve only seen him as a madman (don’t you just want the film to end when he says ‘Henry Jones…junior!’ for like the third time??). I hate how the rest of them follow him and the skull, it makes for a very boring last 20 minutes. Surely there was a way of changing this so there wasn’t Indy, Mutt, Marion, Mac AND Oxley (I like it when Mutt refers to him as ‘the Ox’) all there at the end.

And the ending for Cate Blanchett’s character is really crap, half-arsed. If you compare her with Donovan in Last Crusade, it really means something when he wants to take the Grail for himself and the Nazis. That is obviously a very bad thing that could happen. However, in Crystal Skull, when she asks the aliens – sorry, ‘trans-dimensional beings…from the space between spaces’ – to give her all their knowledge you don’t give a shit whether they do or they don’t. You don’t know what their knowledge is and what benefits it could have, unlike the obvious benefits of the Holy Grail. So whether she dies or not you couldn’t give a toss.

Such a weak end, but many positives along the way, mainly the action which Spielberg pulls off excellently. I just know that there are hundreds if not thousands of people out there who could have polished up that script, ironing out the wrongness. After Koepp’s dodgy War of the Worlds screenplay why did Spielberg bring him back?

TheLeen
    Participant

> John Hurt?s character, Prof Oxley, is ridiculous.

Yeah, giving John Hurt (JOHN HURT!) that kind of role was such a waste. But his character basically was the equivalent to Crusader’s diary. Which was a good idea to handle this, but he shouldn’t have just gone normal when the skull “released” his mind. Or at least his friends should have REACTED to it in some way.

> You don?t know what their knowledge is and what benefits it could have,

Well, if the communists learned of agriculture and watermills… desaster :D

But I like the film anyway. It amuses me.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Saw it yesterday. I rather enjoyed it and, aside from a few bits, it appeared like it could have been made 15 years ago which was a rather nice touch. Shame that Speilberg couldn’t have had an active role in the Star Wars prequels and taught Lucas how to recapture the good ol’ days rather than reinventing the wheel.

Baffled by the nuclear bomb bit (what was the point exactly?), found Ray Winstone tiresome and dreading the premier of Mutt Williams and the Quest for a New Franchise.

Don’t think that the presence of Aliens was such a stretch for this series (after the ghosties in the Ark and the immortal knights in Crusade) but, yes, as Monkey says Hurt’s line about the Alien’s true origins was awful. How the hell does he know anyway?

TheLeen
    Participant

> Saw it yesterday. I rather enjoyed it and, aside from a few bits, it appeared like it could have been made 15 years ago which was a rather nice touch. Shame that Speilberg couldn?t have had an active role in the Star Wars prequels and taught Lucas how to recapture the good ol? days rather than reinventing the wheel.

Exactly! I couldn’t find the right words, but that is exactly how I feel about it.

Ridley
    Participant

Saw it yesterday. I rather enjoyed it and, aside from a few bits, it appeared like it could have been made 15 years ago which was a rather nice touch. Shame that Speilberg couldn?t have had an active role in the Star Wars prequels and taught Lucas how to recapture the good ol? days rather than reinventing the wheel.

Well he did film that bit in Episode III.

Don?t think that the presence of Aliens was such a stretch for this series (after the ghosties in the Ark and the immortal knights in Crusade) but, yes, as Monkey says Hurt?s line about the Alien?s true origins was awful. How the hell does he know anyway?

Presumably told him when he looked into the eyes of the skull and went maaaaaaad … for an hour.

Also: “You threw a monkey in the sea?”

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Saw this Friday, going again tomorrow. It’s not great, but good – very good. Very enjoyable. It’s formulaic, it’s gung-ho OTT American patriotism, it’s a bloody Indiana Jones film. It never quite hits top gear, it’s more like a Sunday afternoon jaunt through some familiar locations, but it’s damn good fun. It has half a dozen set-pieces or quips which are pure Indy and most importantly it makes you smile.

> Baffled by the nuclear bomb bit (what was the point exactly?), found Ray Winstone tiresome and dreading the premier of Mutt Williams and the Quest for a New Franchise.

Well it’s another notch for Indy isn’t it? Like a stuffed Animal head on a Huntsman’s wall. This is Indiana Jones, he found the the Holy Grail, he survived a Nuclear Bomb. Plus I guess it’s playing into the period the film is set in. Here we are deep within Cold War paranoia and here’s our hero – A man who can find his way out of an apocalypse.

Andrew
    Participant

> Also: ?You threw a monkey in the sea??

This was funnier than anything anyone said or did in the entire film.

> gung-ho OTT American patriotism

I disagree, actually. I thought it depicted ‘America’ as nuclear-detonating, paranoid and generally wrong!

Andrew
    Participant

> It?s only the script that?s weak.

I thought Spielberg’s direction was at a career low. Second unit-ish, perfunctory. Timing, emotional sense, photography (a weird clashing of styles there, too), flat performances, lousy, home-based production, ill-judged audio choices, a very bog-standard Williams score…

I guess the costumes were okay. Though they missed a trick on reusing Marion’s white dress from Raiders. So I guess the hair was probably the best thing. Except for Spalko’s wig. So possibly the props. Nope, skull wasn’t too great, Erm…

> I still can?t believe he died of AIDS

Because people usually shrug that one off after a few days’ bed rest?

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> I disagree, actually. I thought it depicted ?America? as nuclear-detonating, paranoid and generally wrong!

I guess it does, I was referring more specifically to Indy himself.

I was similarly underwhelmed with John Williams score, especially as I felt a great job had been done with the theme for the trailer. I completely disagree on most other levels, it won’t be my favourite film of the year. It’s not the best Indiana Jones movie, but it’s a million miles away from being a cinematic car crash.

pfm
    Participant

It’s only the script that’s weak. Oh, and Jim Broadbent’s dodgy acting at the start when he’s shouting at Indy outside the classroom. I suppose again it doesn’t help that we don’t know his character so when he’s suddenly getting upset about having to resign it means zero to the audience. Such a shame Denholm Elliott is long dead and couldn’t return as an ancient Brody (I still can’t believe he died of AIDS).

Yet again this movie sticks with my logic that everything connects to Dwarf, Who, Harry Potter and LOTR in some way.

Dwarf – John Hurt is in this, he was in Alien which inspired Mel Bibby’s sets on Red Dwarf.
    Potter – Jim Broadbent plays Slughorn in the next HP film
    Who – er, bear with me, er…Marcus Brody is in this (albeit only his image and memory) as played by Denholm Elliott who was in the film Voyage of the Damned which was stolen as a title by Russell T Davies.
    LOTR – Cate Blanchett = Galadriel.

Alan Dale was in this, he plays Charles Widmore on Lost (and is becoming the king of geekdom guest appearances). But my FAVOURITE piece of information about Crystal Skull is that one of the weird protector guys that attack Indy and Mutt at the cemetery is none other than Ernie Reyes Jr. who played Kino in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze !!! Bwahahahaha!!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_C9M2h8IZZ4

Speaking of Turtles, why can’t all shows be as good as this? (Uncle Phil alert!)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Best in scene in Crystal Skull:

Jim Robinson and the Janitor from Scrubs!

pfm
    Participant

Every time I see your pic, ShitSuperficialHead, I immediately think ‘tell you what, tell you what it’s nine-and-a-half thousand pounds!’

Ben Paddon
    Participant

How disappointed were you with Indy4? Disappointed enough to design and sell your own tee-shirt stating the fact?

Ridley
    Participant

He won’t care.

pfm
    Participant

There’s speculation that Lucas wore this as a statement that Han WILL shoot first in the final ultimate edition of A New Hope that appears on the upcoming Star Wars saga ultimate Blu-ray set. When the hell it will come out is anyone’s guess. Maybe at the same time as the live-action TV series. Whatever, they BETTER include the original versions of the films on this box set (and I’m talking ORIGINAL THEATRICAL CUTS of the original trilogy, meaning A New Hope is just called Star Wars and has no episode number)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Unlikely – Lucas claims to have “taped over” the originals. A friend of mine who used to work for LucasFilm reckons that Lucas actually has the prints, but his egocentric desire to continually fuck the films up the arsehole prevents him from releasing them in their original, “incomplete” format.

ChrisM
    Participant

But he has hasn’t he? Didn’t he let loose a whole series of original versions of the films?
    Or is this an even older version than that? If so I’m sure the difference is negligible.

Whether he will do the same for the Blu-ray versions, I don’t know. The format at least lends itself for multiple versions.

I’ve got the remastered versions myself. Overall I didn’t have a problem with them, apart from some of the superfluous CGI in Star Wars which I’ve already mentioned. I agree it got a bit silly just how many tweaks that keep being made though. In my version you’ve got the prequel actor replacing the original in the ghost scene at the end. And I’ve heard a couple of years back, that they were planning a version of Empire with an animated CG yoda, mine still being the puppet version (which I think works just fine.) I don’t know whether that version was ever released though.

pfm
    Participant

> And I?ve heard a couple of years back, that they were planning a version of Empire with an animated CG yoda, mine still being the puppet version (which I think works just fine.) I don?t know whether that version was ever released though.

It’s not gonna happen in Empire but they’re replacing the puppet Yoda in The Phantom Menace with the digital model from Revenge of the Sith, partly to keep it in line with the other prequels, partly because the puppet in TPM was utter crap in comparison to ESB (d’you know, I wish Frank Oz would also redo the dialogue as it was almost like a squeaky parody – ‘revealed, your opinion is!’ He nailed it for AOTC and ROTS though).

I am all for that change and any other changes they’re making to TPM, AOTC and ROTS for the new Blu-ray set. They can ONLY be for the better (unlike many of the changes made to the original trilogy). I will NEVER accept the song in Jabba’s throne room in Return of the Jedi. It’s beyond dreadful and the less said about the CG in that sequence the better. Talk about taking a great big shit on your movie. Not that Jedi was perfect but by the Christchild it didn’t need this, OR Hayden Christensen appearing at the end as ghost Anakin. They didn’t even specifically shoot it, it was just a ROTS costume test they threw in there!! Hayden said himself he would actually have liked to act it. The bullshit explanation is that Anakin literally died as a young man and that’s why he appears here as Hayden. The thing is, he is obviously good as his old self in Jedi when Luke takes off his mask. AND he’s very much alive. According to the EU (or the ‘EUGH!’ as some people like to call it…) Vader hopes to eventually heal himself and to be able to breath without the mask.

ChrisM
    Participant

The thing is, he is obviously good as his old self in Jedi when Luke takes off his mask

Yeah, I didn’t think it was really fair on that other actor editting him out like that either. Ok, its a very small role but even so.

That being said he doesn’t look like an older Hayden, but that’s not really the point.

According to the EU (or the ?EUGH!? as some people like to call it?) Vader hopes to eventually heal himself and to be able to breath without the mask.

Yeah, I’ve actually read a book where he does something like that. Shadows of the Empire I believe it was (but I might be wrong. It’s been a while since I read it.) Of the Star Wars books, quite a good one that. It’s set between Empire and Jedi.

I used to be quite into the continuing novels. I kind of went off them when the prequels were made, but they’re still not a bad read. I haven’t read any of the new ones though.

One thing I noticed, the books were set after Jedi, to leave space for the prequel trilogy, but they still managed to reference stuff from the clone wars, stuff that contradicts the films. (A very interesting take it was though. Hints of mysterious ‘clone masters’ attacking the republic with clone armies, and attempting to replace jedi with dark jedi dopplegangers. A bit predictable maybe, and the prequel version probably fits better but it reads like a lot of fun.)

The prequels take on the clone wars was good too mind, and unexpected, but part of me wishes it had tied with the books better. And I wish they’d left out the midichlorian malarky from the prequels too.

Ok drifted right of the Indy topic! Anyway, I haven’t seen Crystal Skull yet, but I love the Indy films and look forward to doing so. Have a feeling it’ll be on DVD by the time I see it though.

Ridley
    Participant

Just read Mr. Ellard’s Indy 4 review on that other website. Has everyone seen the supposed Darabont draft?

Apart from fewer plot questions and Jones breaking his equipment out of the museum (now having to leave the country because he could be executed as a Communist), I do think the cinema got the better version.

Viewing 81 posts - 1 through 81 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.