It's Here Where Somewhere

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum It's Here Where Somewhere

This topic contains 27 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Ben Saunders 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Ben Saunders

I’m sure everybody knows this, but in the Remastered version of Polymorph, Kryten’s line “it’s here… somewhere” has been dubbed over with a whisper, to cover for the fact that Robert used his natural accent to deliver it originally.

This annoys me because 1) I liked the original delivery, as it felt really urgent and atmospheric and lent a serious mood to the piece, and 2) it still sounds like Robert Llewellyn, whispering, not Kryten.

I wonder if he dubbed any other lines like “Blue Midget is loaded” or if they literally got him in just to do one line.

Flap Jack

I tell you, the more I hear about these “Remastered” episodes, the less I like ’em!

Lily

Bloody hell you’ve got a good ear. I just had to flick between them several times to hear the difference. At first it just sounded like they’d muffled the line to make it more whispery.

bloodteller

>I wonder if he dubbed any other lines like “Blue Midget is loaded” or if they literally got him in just to do one line.

If i recall correctly, there’s a line in one of the Remastered eps where Kryten says “Mr Lister” wheras in the original it was just “Lister”, but that’s the only other example i can think of

Ben Saunders

Rimmer’s mum is also dubbed over, I think with a different actress, in Polymorph. I wonder if they would have done the same for Dimension Jump.

I only noticed because it’s a super memorable moment for me, and I specifically went looking for that scene to put music under for my screen composition class. The remastered version also has new music over that scene so I’m sticking to the original for two reasons (I was thinking -maybe- picture quality would be better/more consistent over clips from several different series).

On the DVD commentary for the original episode Robert says…. nothing apparently?! I went to go check there to make sure, but he doesn’t even mention it, even though I’m -convinced- he did. Spooky.

Seb Patrick

In the Re-Dwarf documentary you can see the Rimmer’s mum redub as one of the notes they show. It says something like replace with a more “well-spoken” voice, which she has in Dimension Jump. So I doubt they would have changed it there, I think they were just aiming for more consistency between the two versions.

Dax101

Well the differences between the voices alone wouldn’t have been consistent.

Ben Saunders

Despite best efforts, consistency was hardly Remastered’s strong point – the Holly continuity in Series I is just shocking.

Also the homogenisation of the opening titles is also bizarre, given that III -already had- a zany guitar into, and you show clips from the wrong series in every series. And the shot of Lister getting zapped in Queeg is held for far too long.

Dave

I always rationalised it as the Polymorph giving Rimmer’s mum an extra rough-sounding voice and general dirtiness, to get him even more riled up. I’m not sure polymorphs always go for 100% authenticity, as I’ve never seen a slinky that can walk up stairs either.

International Debris

Given that Rimmer’s mum has been dead for three million years and has never been billions of miles into space, it’s probably fair to say that authenticity went out of the window she arrived.

bloodteller

do you reckon when Lister had sex with the Mrs Rimmer-Morph it was like in Can Of Worms with all the pipe things and antennae?

Dax101

I always assumed lister didn’t actually have sex with polymorph Mrs Rimmer, it was just assumed because he woke up next to her and that Lister was too much of an asshole to say he didn’t.

Jonsmad

No cus Lister didnt give birth to a hedgehog in a top hat, so any sex didnt result in a pregnant lister like it did a pregnant cat, so wasnt the same.

Ben Saunders

Yeah it was a male Polymorph anyway wasn’t it

Katydid

So it was a gay polymorph? That should’ve been the plot of Timewave.

Lily

I’d likewise always thought that the Lister/Mrs Rimmer sex hadn’t happened either. After all, no sign of the alphabetti spaghetti anywhere and I’m sure anything fun with that would end up being messy.

There’s nothing to say it was a male though. Cat’s polymorph had a batch of fertilised eggs ready to lay in a host, but that doesn’t mean all females are always carrying eggs.

As with many things Red Dwarf, it doesn’t do to pick at the logic too hard. If polymorphs ‘feed’ off of emotions, why do the crew get them back when it dies?

bloodteller

> If polymorphs ‘feed’ off of emotions, why do the crew get them back when it dies?

magic

Dave

After all, no sign of the alphabetti spaghetti anywhere and I’m sure anything fun with that would end up being messy.

Clearly at that point the Polymorph had turned into the alphabetti spaghetti, then turned back into Rimmer’s mum after all the fun.

bloodteller

>After all, no sign of the alphabetti spaghetti anywhere and I’m sure anything fun with that would end up being messy.

what exactly was it implied they did with the alphabetti spaghetti anyway? when i was younger i always assumed lister had shoved some up his arse or something, but i highly doubt that’s right.

quinn_drummer

He used it to correctly fill out the answers to the Astro Navs

Ben Saunders

I think it’s just the funniest possible thing anyone could ever shout in rage

International Debris

It’s one of those ‘funny things used in sex’ jokes that doesn’t hold up to much scrutiny. As Ben says, it makes for a superb response from Rimmer.

Dave

You’ve all got very limited imaginations.

si

He used the spaghetti letters to spell out ‘willy’.

flanl3

There’s the lady and the tramp spaghetti scene. Would that work with alphabetti spaghetti?

Ben Saunders

He made the spaghetti spell out RIM MER then ate the R

bloodteller

which R

Ben Saunders

Her Rs

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.