Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Mindblowing thing I've just noticed about the Opening Theme…

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 134 total)
  • Author
    (deleted)
    Participant

…it’s got lyrics!!!

Just sticking Can Of Worms on again through headphones, and although I’ve heard that piece of music probably thousands of times over 20 years I’ve only just noticed the vocal parts, namely HOWARD GOODALL SINGING THE NAME OF THE SHOW FOUR TIMES THROUGH A VOCODER.

If you’re listening out, it’s during the triangular key changes in the second half of the theme.

My brain has exploded.

Altogether…

# Red Dwarf
    # Red Dwarf
    # Red Dwarf
    # Red Dwarf*

*previously unpublished lyrics (c) Noel Gay Music Ltd

(deleted)
    Participant

https://youtu.be/WvcaB0TWNLc

Aha!!! Massively more prominent in this YouTube video of a phase-inverted version with the centre channel frequencies cut.

I’m not going mad! Clear as day in that one!!!!

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

wat

JamesTC
    Participant

I bet Gene Roddenberry wrote the lyrics.

John Hoare
    Participant

i’m a gibbering wreck

what have you done

That’s literally the only thing I’m ever going to be able to hear in the theme now.
    Holy shit.

cwickham
    Participant

I still can’t hear it at all…

(deleted)
    Participant

It’s where the last pairs of “fun, fun” and “sun, sun” go in the end titles.

It’s clearest the fourth and final time as it’s least obscured by other instruments. Vocoders aren’t the best messengers of diction at the best of times but it’s definitely there.

The fact it’s buried so much yet would have been so fiddly and time-consuming to record hints to me that he may have originally intended it to be a bigger part of the piece. Either that or it was always meant to be a Ronnie Hazlehurst-style cryptic easter egg and we’ve just heard the punchline to a 27 year old joke.

si
    Participant

The mind-blowing yet amusing thing is that me and my siblings have been doing exactly that (sans vocoder but in silly voices) for years, never realising that it was actually there.
    Yep, never un-hearable now. Going to have another look at that Gazpacho Soup ‘opening titles’ vid now.

cwickham
    Participant

Ah! OK, I can *sort of* hear the last one now.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Oh my.

Jonsmad
    Participant

Can of Words.

Jawscvmcdia
    Participant

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

MANI506
    Participant

I was gonna ask for a time stamp but I heard it!

Tim Shaw
    Participant

I’m stunned! This is like discovering the secret fifth housemate in The Young Ones. It was always there!!

Andy Holland
    Participant

Holy smokes! That’s actually incredible: a single G&T post has fundamentally changed the way I hear a theme tune I’ve heard regularly for over two decades.

Darrell, how the smeg did you uncover this hidden gem?

Dave
    Participant

This deserves an article of its own.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Bloody ‘Ell.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Can’t hear it at all. I’m not saying it’s not there, but I’m going to need some more help in identifying it. Either that or this is an elaborate joke that I’m not in on.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster
    (deleted)
    Participant

https://youtu.be/_s6oIVm10N8 – yes, I went there.

Never mind that though, VALIDATION FROM ON HIGH!!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

HOLY FUCK

I clicked on that phase-inverted version, started listening, and thought “There’s nothing there, what are they on about?” Then BOOM: “REEEEED DWAAAAAARF!”

peepingsignal
    Participant

The fact that it took 27 years to find this is mind-boggling to me. This has been hidden for longer than I’ve been alive and now it’s suddenly been found, just like that. New layers to the theme are being discovered after almost three decades. I’m amazed Howard’s never told anyone.

This also means Howard sings in every episode since Backwards, instead of just the three or four we thought he sung in.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

This is astounding, and Darrell’s welcome to stay. The rest of you; buck your ideas up.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

What the fuck

NoFro
    Participant

Incredible.

Ridley
    Participant

Subliminals!

si
    Participant

Did Rob and Doug know?

Well spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!

I’m in the middle of planning a philosophy essay on the meaning of the self and personal identity and this has just amplified the existential Krysis … I mean crisis I was having.

I need to go and have a lie down!

cwickham
    Participant

There is also a hidden message in the QI theme tune that nobody noticed for twelve years until it was actually pointed out on the show itself.

We should probably start looking at the 2point4 children theme now.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Howard; if you’re reading this. You’re a fucking legend.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Just in case anyone missed the G&T retweet of this:

Howard Goodall ‏@Howard_Goodall 5 hours ago
    I am honoured & delighted my vo-coded message from the past has been cracked!????????????

Andy Holland
    Participant

Digital Spy have picked this up, Darrell: http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/red-dwarf/news/a811846/red-dwarf-theme-song-lyrics-no-one-knew-about

…proving that Darrell will forever be remembered as the greatest Red Dwarf detective we didn’t know we needed…

noknowncure
    Participant

Something to sing along to innit!

If you play every Blackadder theme synced up it explains proof that the first series was based on documented fact.

John Hoare
    Participant

“According to a forum on ganymede TV…”

Digital Spy really are fucking useless.

(deleted)
    Participant

Alright, this is officially weird now. I wouldn’t mind so much but they’ve got it mixed up confusing the opening and closing songs (“underneath the lyrics”).

Still, the second time this year I have initiated a Red Dwarf news story. If I get three do I win something?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Fuck’s sake, Digital Spy. Did they even actually read what people were saying?

Mental Floss (courtesy of my friend James) got it right, though: http://mentalfloss.com/uk/music/47667/secret-red-dwarf-theme-tune-lyrics-discovered-after-27-years

(deleted)
    Participant

Mental Floss can stay.

For one exhausting year I used to co-run and co-edit a daily pop culture trivia/ephemera blog called Talk About The Passion with my old friend Ben (it was before clickbaity pop culture sites were that much of a commodity and pre-Twitter so it died on its arse, much like all the other stuff we spent years making and badly mistimed too early). Anyway, Mental Floss, along with QI, was the single biggest influence on it, so there’s a pleasing circularity to this.

Am I going mental? I thought this was common knowledge.

What sounds like over-zealous trombone wah-wah is a vocoder line mimicking ‘Red Dwarf’ four times.

You can hear it really well in the stereo extractions I posted up not long ago.

I’m disappointed in all of you.

curtis
    Participant

I’ve only just got over the two closing themes revelation. Stop doing this to me!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Am I going mental? I thought this was common knowledge.
    What sounds like over-zealous trombone wah-wah is a vocoder line mimicking ‘Red Dwarf’ four times.
    You can hear it really well in the stereo extractions I posted up not long ago.
    I’m disappointed in all of you.

Good job you mentioned it before now!

But it’s right there!

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

Amazing.

What happens if you play it backwards?

pfm
    Participant

All these years…… *breaks down*

My belief system has been torn asunder.

> For one exhausting year I used to co-run and co-edit a daily pop culture trivia/ephemera blog called Talk About The Passion with my old friend Ben

REM-related at all? :)

Paul Muller
    Participant

Can’t quite make it out but it sounds like he’s singing ‘Red Worf’ – possibly in reference to Worf’s ‘Will Scarlet’ costume in the Star Trek TNG episode ‘QPid’?

Bit obscure, Howard…

Red W

jellyscare
    Participant
    jellyscare
    Participant

I’m never guessing how to do html tags again.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 134 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.