Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf: An American’s Guide – from Den of Geek USA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

So, just stumbled across this video from 4 years and thought it’d be interesting to share and analyse / ridicule.

It’s arguably not entirely wrong, but there are some apocryphal claims. Such as from episode one all Lister was interested in doing was eating curry and watching Zero G Football, which almost dumbs the character down too much.

Also the claim that the show focuses on them trying to return to Earth! Which, well … this was released in the run up to s11 hitting BritBox, by this point that is far from the crews focus!

There’s also questionable use of footage for the 4min 30seconds of montage, including using a lot of remastered model shots next to actual model shots.

I wouldn’t say it’s a bad intro to the show, I wonder if it encouraged anyone to go start at The End and work their way through.

Warbodog
    Participant

“How simple do you want it?”
    “So an American can understand it.”

Warbodog
    Participant

Giving us a series bible introducing the characters and ‘the overall plot of the show’ doesn’t seem like the most useful way to introduce Red Dwarf. I suppose their audience is coming from the sci-fi / ‘genre show’ direction, whereas most of us (presumably) were watching BBC2/Dave for comedy and found a funny show that stood out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.