Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Red Dwarf XIII?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Somebody
    Participant

Now, to be perfectly clear, I think this is probably a gag. But on the offchance that it isn’t…

https://twitter.com/DougRDNaylor/status/767795573957201920
    @immutableC > when do you start writing XIII? :-)
    ‏@DougRDNaylor> November.

pendo86
    Participant

I don’t think it’s a gag. Fingers crossed it’s true. It doesn’t necessarily mean a new series is commissioned though, he might start writing new episodes even before a new series is commissioned just to be prepared and give him more time.

thomasaevans
    Participant

I was KINDA hoping that with the 30th looming, the commitment to do 2 Series would ignite fuel for funding a Movie again and get that bloody movie out for 2018!

I don’t get the hype for the movie. Single camera, no audience… I don’t think it works for Dwarf. I think BtE Directors Cut is the nearest thing we’re going to get.

srmcd1
    Participant

re XIII – makes sense to me. Even if it hasn’t been commissioned yet, it’s still good to go ahead and get some ideas going.

re the Movie – I think the Movie would be better off being released in some other media. Novel or comic book would ideal, although I also like the idea of an audio drama via Big Finish…

Moonlight
    Participant

I don’t think the movie would be better off being released in another medium because it’s a film script, a format paced and written totally differently from a novel or comic. And if we did see Dwarf in either of those forms, I’d much rather it be something developed with the medium in mind.

For example, were Doug to write more novels I’d like to see original stories in an entirely new continuity from the originals since Last Human properly ended the series.

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

I’ve read the novelisation of the first series of The New Statesman, and the novelisation of One Foot in the Grave. Neither were as satisfying as seeing the programmes they were based on. But they were good to read.
    Also, large chunks of the Red Dwarf novels are based on scripts, and they are arguably better than the episodes they’re based on.
    So in theory I’d be fine with a reworked film script.
    However, because Doug wrote those scripts during a creative dodgy patch, perhaps he’d be better advised to start afresh.
    I’m finding it difficult to decide.
    In short, I have no opinion.

PS. I have read other books as well.

A few reasons why XIII might just happen and sooner than we think.

– A two series / twelve episode announcement always goes down well with overseas sales and syndication. Gives broadcasters confidence that the show is not only a viable return financially but continues to be a strong ratings winner.

– Streaming. As polarising as the issue of week-early online viewing is, it will allow Red Dwarf to position itself as a relevant and important show within the growing number of online streaming services.

– Red Dwarf always does good DVD and blu-ray sales, especially as people are aware of the quality and quantity of special features to be had.

– The cast are available, especially Craig Charles who before was constricted by Corrie.

– Doug seems to be very happy writing the further adventures of the SS Howard Rimmer and is getting a knack for it after 28 years.

– There seems to be a conscious effort to ground the show in the ‘robust’ era of III to VI and why not, there are a thousand stories left to tell and as the crew grow older, there are new perspectives and sides to the characters to be found.

– Model shots! Fucking lots and lots of model shots. Lovely, lovely model shots. Let’s just have 10 minute panoramic sweeps of Red Dwarf and be done with it.

I have a suspicion that they may utilise the I and II intro for at least an episode or two of the new series. The model unit are utilising motion control again so get Craig suited up, roller dripping with red paint and re-do the intro for the third time but now, finally as it was intended.

Also, if there is no overhead fly-by in the end credits, I’ll be having words.

srmcd1
    Participant

With Kirk and Scotty flying past.

srmcd1
    Participant

“Let’s just have 10 minute panoramic sweeps of Red Dwarf and be done with it.”

With Kirk and Scotty flying past.

Note to admin: Your edit function sucks.

I tried watching Star Trek: The Motion Picture the other day as well, it’s so bloody drawn out.

Moonlight
    Participant

You know, Doug might be waiting until November because once Series XI airs everyone online will be posting reviews, going into what they think worked and what they think failed horribly. Perhaps he wants to work out how to improve on the show based on the most common criticisms of Series XI, and write XIII with them in mind.

A Bailey
    Participant

[quote]I have a suspicion that they may utilise the I and II intro for at least an episode or two of the new series. The model unit are utilising motion control again so get Craig suited up, roller dripping with red paint and re-do the intro for the third time but now, finally as it was intended.[/quote]

I wish they would, if only because I love the initial intro. It really sells the feeling of Lister being alone as the last human aboard this ship drifting in the vastness of space. The updated intro is great for Series III because it screams “THINGS HAVE CHANGED” but I still miss the 2001 feel.

It’s why I have no problem with the show continuing for years to come (assuming it’s funny). It’s the story of the last human being alive. With that as the premise the cast getting older just gives new stories to tell. “Last of the Summer Wine…IN SPACE”, sign me the fuck up,

Moonlight
    Participant

At the very least I want the see the painting the ship pull out used in a promo. They finally have the technology to pull it off right. The Remastered version is the closest we have to the original vision of the shot, but we all know how shit that looks.

I mean this kind of close-up shot is EXACTLY the sort of thing then new bigature was built for; I can only hope they’re also using it to recreate the fly-over credits of series I-IV, but I haven’t been able to figure out yet if it has a top or is just the side of the ship.

(deleted)
    Participant

It’s just a side but has a forced perspective ‘top’ that’s actually very thin, like a giant fridge magnet.

Really? I thought the original model a twelve-foot bastard that was complete and to scale on all sides?

The things you find out.

Lilly Queen
    Participant

“Model shots! Fucking lots and lots of model shots. Lovely, lovely model shots. Let’s just have 10 minute panoramic sweeps of Red Dwarf and be done with it.
    I have a suspicion that they may utilise the I and II intro for at least an episode or two of the new series. The model unit are utilising motion control again so get Craig suited up, roller dripping with red paint and re-do the intro for the third time but now, finally as it was intended.
    Also, if there is no overhead fly-by in the end credits, I’ll be having words.”

We can dream, can’t we?

I have a great hope and a also a terrible fear. That Dave promo model shot was wonderful and long and motion controlled. This gives me hope that there will be loads of these. But then I start to think, that shot has been repeatedly used in all the trailers, with no other big shots in sight. What if that’s it! And the rest will be more in line with X’s fly bys. A scary thought.

Hopefully, they’re just holding them back and I’m being paranoid.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

I was reading that Go 8-Bit was the single most-watched show on Dave in the week it aired with 600k viewers (including +1). So with that in mind, what’s going to be seen as a reasonable figure for XI, 1m? Trojan got about 1.5m overnights if I remember but obviously a bunch of people hadn’t been watching that online for a whole week before.

Alternatively, are TV ratings pretty much irrelevant these days due to the changes in viewing habits and (from the money men’s perspective) are the on demand figures & DVD sales all that really matter for them to give the go ahead for series XIII?

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

I sort of know that channel 4 don’t count online ratings when it comes to being recommissioned, but that knowledge isn’t based on a program that debuted online and sat there for a week before being shown on telly.
    It’s mad they did that. Considering it’s not a show for young viewers but has fans of all ages.

JamesTC
    Participant

Anything which has advertising will count to the success of the show.

The only thing is the online viewers won’t count in the overnight or final figures from BARB. But those figures aren’t even the ones that are used to gauge the success of a show. It tends to be the number of viewers in a certain age demographic.

It is 18-49 in America, so I imagine similar for the UK. If it is prime time and you are below the age of 18 or above the age of 49 then advertisers couldn’t give a toss as you are much easier to reach in other timeslots.

I remember when I saw some detailed figures for the overnights of an episode of Series X that it did rather well in the 18-49 demographic. Compared favourably to many ITV shows.

You could compare it to The Flash airing in America on the very low rated The CW network. It skews significantly to the desired 18-49 demographic and even though it rates significantly less than many other shows. There are shows that can do great but skew old so will get cancelled.

But with Red Dwarf, being made by BBC Worldwide, it will be just as much about merchandise, DVD sales, overseas broadcasting and what it does for the UKTV brand. And in regards with the last one, it would seem like it is doing an awful lot considering it is front and centre of the UKTV Play relaunch.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.