Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Robert’s Books

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Phil
    Participant

Going to take advantage of the influx of new readers and increased attention of existing readers to ask something I’ve wondered for a while…

Which of Robert’s books would you all say is the best? Or at least one that you would recommend? I’ve never read any of them and I’d like to give them a shot, but I’m not sure where to begin and I’m not aware of a clear favorite.

So…which of his books would you recommend? Or, conversely, which of them would you emphatically not?

Phil
    Participant

Clarifying: I’m specifically asking about his fiction…sorry. Shoulda just said “novels” and been done with it.

redhead85
    Participant

I liked ‘The Man on Platform 5’ – the Dwarf cast references tickled me. ‘Punchbag’ was pretty good too – brave subject matter to tackle

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

The Man on Platform 5 is very good. Punchbag is good. The rest are SHIT.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Haven’t actually read any of his fiction. Shame on me, as I really like Thin He Was And Filthy Haired.

Jonsmad
    Participant

I havnt read them all. But I remember enjoying most of Sudden Wealth, I like the ideas and character situations, though I cant remember how it ends, so it probably fizzles out isnt a strong story. Brother Nature sounded interesting but I cant remember any of that one so It’s probably bit more generic thriller.

si
    Participant

I love The Man on Platform 5.

However, since he took out the restraining order, I’ve not seen so much of him.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Does anyone remember that online thing? Was it called Blue Helmet or such?

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster
    HelloMabel
    Participant

>Does anyone remember that online thing? Was it called Blue Helmet or such?
    Yes. I vaguely recall reading it back when Robert was releasing it chapter by chapter on his site. The fact that I remember smeg all about the plot doesn’t necessarily speak ill of it – I was a college freshman and didn’t retain anything I read back then. /:
    I did look forward to each new chapter, though.
    Thanks for starting this thread Phil, I forgot about all Robert’s novels. I haven’t read any of his fiction other than Blue Helmet, but am thoroughly enjoying Man In the Rubber Mask Audio. Helpful to get some reviews from you good folks. Maybe I’ll give MoP5 a try.

Jake Bullet
    Participant

Only ever read “Man on Platform 5”. It included quite a few Red Dwarf references (mainly including the actors who appeared in the show), and also refers to another project Bobby Llew was involved in, a comedy show he wrote called “Woman Wizard”.
    Not seen woman WIzard though, but the book is a good read. I cannot comment on his other books, having never read them :)

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

I think Woman Wizard came a few years after; a sort-of spin-off from the book.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Woman always come after.

Me.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

….usually after he has gone home

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Oh no. I insist on waiting. Sometimes for weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.