Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum shitty jobs

Viewing 83 posts - 1 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    Gwynnie
    Participant

I work in a crappy cafe… the other day my manager found ONE slightly dirty cup the other day, when I was full of cold and shouldn’t have been in anyway, the other girl went home early and left me on my own and there was a queue out the door. I am now being forced to read a massive, patronising manual about health and safety, or risk a disciplinary. And I have a BSc*, damnit!!! Anyone else want to tell us about crappy jobs/evil managers to erm… make me feel better?
    *Not Bronze Swimming Certificate. I can hardly swim.

hummingbird
    Participant

I don’t have a crappy job, just one that I don’t find particularly inspiring … but I guess that’s me and about 90% of the population.
    My job isn’t related to my qualifications (I have a maths degree) or my interests/hobbies (music, film, messing around with video and various other media), but it does pay the bills and put a roof over my head, and it allows me to enjoy the rest of the stuff with no pressure to make a living from it.

Of course I’d rather be doing something I love (and how lucky if you do), but, I mean, it’s all about compromises. Although I’ve made some bad decisions, there was good reason for them at the time, and those choices have opened different doors and given me things that I wouldn’t now be without.
    So, y’know, swings and roundabouts.

[/lecture]

Carlito
    Participant

I don’t even have a job. I’ve been looking for months, and I have pretty good background/experience.

Remember, things could be worse: you could be on the scrapheap.

If only I’d finished my English/Media degree, I could be… actually, what could I be? Blergh. My only income at the moment is from acting, and that’s once in a blue moon when the agency calls me, and usually only background stuff. Shucks.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I had a particularly rubbish day of pushing paper around a beige X-Factor Audience holding pen a couple of weeks ago. I then came home to find out my flatmate’s working day had involved a chav throwing a brick at him. As HB says it’s swings n’ roundabouts.

Gwynnie
    Participant

What pissed me off most was that I’d been ill, and dragged myself in to help them, then been left alone and not had my break, and then they had a go at me for not, y’know, making sure the place was sparkly while I had to deal with a massive queue. But yeah, it pays the bills, it’s just when you’ve recently graduated and naively believed that having a degree would help, it does get you down sometimes.
    Ah, well, I’m escaping to Japan in March to teach English!! Muahahha. So it’s all good.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Ah, well, I?m escaping to Japan in March to teach English!! Muahahha.

You just had to get that in din’cha?

Gwynnie
    Participant

Oh yeah, I need to send you info about TEFL stuff!

redhead85
    Participant

“What do you do with a BA in English? What is my life going to be? Four years of college, and plenty of knowledge, have earned me this useless degree…”

I got my BA in English 3 years ago and am junior to people in my office who barely scraped together GCSEs but they’ve got so much knowledge, common sense and graft to them I can accept that.

(Apart from when they think that manga is a type of weed.)

But I worked my arse off to get this job in Advertising Land and I wouldn’t give it up right now for anything else.

I had a manager once who categorically told me that if I left to have a baby they couldn’t pay me maternity leave and that it would end the business. Unsurprisingly I quit that job.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

When what you should have done is ask for that in writing and sued his ass!

Although, would his ass techically have been guilty of the crime?

redhead85
    Participant

And we were working as Recruitment Consultants!! Ultimate fucking irony. I was livid.

Yes, his ass would have been entirely liable. ^__^

si
    Participant

I work in a playground activity manufacturing factory*.

It’s all swings and roundabouts.

si
    Participant

*=Of course I don’t.

ChrisM
    Participant

I’m unemployed, although I did some leaflet delivery work a couple of weeks back. Really messed up my feet, I was hobbling along the road like an old man at the end of the day. I still have blister scars and sometimes feel the occasional twinge in the soles of my feet if I’ve been walking a bit. (Different from the usual I mean.)

It wasn’t too bad in some ways, essentially setting my own hours away from people but there’s always those moments when people are outside and you don’t know how they’ll react to offering them what will probably be a piece of litter. Some take it and say ‘thanks.’ Some politely refuse,one or two are snooty. ) To be fair most people are polite but after a middle-class matron looked down her nose at me I took to skipping over houses when people were outside in the end. Yes I’m a great big cowardly custard. (I’d take note of the house and deliver there if I came back that way though. If they were away. What silly games I play!)

On the plus side I met a couple of friendly cats and saw a couple of foxes (or maybe the same fox twice) in daylight!

I’m now on a boring 13 week ‘jobsearch’ course in Eltham. (Yawn.) I might have some P.O temping sorting work over the Christmas period though, but I’m in two minds about that.

Kris Carter
    Participant

Work in the elevator repair industry. It has it’s ups and downs.

Sorry Si – couldn’t resist!

My dream job is colouring comics, and I’ve been lucky enough to work on some good properties – Transformers, Doctor Who, Torchwood, uh… Turtles… hehe… but unfortunately the work is so sporadic, you can’t make a living off it.

My 9-5 is working in a loans call centre, having customers bitch and moan at me about rate hikes and mis-sold insurance. I’ve never been so close to to sliding a hosepipe from exhaust to car interior, and just topping myself in the parking lot.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Awww, don’t do that over some stupid job. It’s only temporary, and it really doesn’t matter in the end. It’s what I tell myself anyway!

Carlito
    Participant

In April my general insurance call centre went bust after two years of working there. I fucking hated it.

After six months of no work, I’ve romanticised it to the point if it re-opened I’d be chomping at the bit to go back.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Oh dear. That’s what happens, I’m now convincing myself that my old jobs were better. At least they were temporary, part-time jobs while I was at college/uni, not the *only* thing going. Maybe we could all put our heads together and set up a business instead! I do hope to have my own holistic therapy practice one day though, oh yes.

Trena
    Participant

What, like Dirk Gently?

Good lord.

hummingbird
    Participant

I’ve a few friends who run their own small businesses, and I wouldn’t thank you for it.

Of course there are those who make it big, but most small businessess involve working 24/7, few holidays, no sick pay, and a shed load of stress.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Well, not a holistic detective agency, although it sounds FUN! Nah, but if it’s a choice between trying to run your own or being unemployed… well, it’s up to you whether you prefer a secure, low income from Jobseeker’s or to take the gamble.

Trena
    Participant

Use your degree to good use like everyone else this year and become a well-read shelf stacker.

redhead85
    Participant

> I?ve a few friends who run their own small businesses, and I wouldn?t thank you for it.
    Of course there are those who make it big, but most small businessess involve working 24/7, few holidays, no sick pay, and a shed load of stress.

I worked at a small company (just three of us) for 18 months running a section of the business and I was very miserable.

So I utilised connections I’d built up with clients (in the mafia) and moved into an ad agency in media planning and buying – an area where it’s more about who you know not what you know in order to get in.

> Use your degree to good use like everyone else this year and become a well-read shelf stacker.

Well it’s something I can always fall back on.

Dave
    Participant

I’m temping at the moment. It’s not the worst job I’ve had, but it’s dull. Although I did meet a man called Mr Cunto today (absolutely true) which slightly made up for it.

Carlito
    Participant

Oh, I encountered some amazing names when I was in the call centre.

Some of my favourites:

Professor Premiere
    Mrs Knott-Goodenough
    Peter Perfect (the Father Ted fan in me appreciated that one)
    Mr Digarse
    Mr Superman
    Judith Priest

There were loads of great ones, much better than that, but considering I have the memory of a brain damaged goldfish they’re just the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

In the 15 hours since I last posted, I’ve actually (finally!) managed to procure myself a full time job with Virgin Media, so that was nice.

Dave
    Participant

Congratulations.

Carlito
    Participant

Cheers dude :)

Trena
    Participant

I once studied alongside David Bowie.

Carlito
    Participant

I’ve worked with Chris Rock, Paul Newman and Gary Newman (Numan, whatever) in my time.

Dave
    Participant

>I?ve worked with Chris Rock, Paul Newman and Gary Newman (Numan, whatever) in my time.

And Rob Brydon.

Trena
    Participant

Now that I think of it, I also studied with Chris Barrie, he was into cars as well.

Carlito
    Participant

Yeah but that was the real Rob Brydon. The rest were just name-a-likes.

Carlito
    Participant

I am actually cousins with the real Susan Sarandon. Never met her though.

Dave
    Participant

I worked with a Peter Jackson.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I saw Tom Cruise in a film once.

Dave
    Participant

Where did he cruise to?

Trena
    Participant

I was going to swipe the bible in the hotel and get Craig Charles to sign it, but I forgot.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

My dream job is colouring comics, and I?ve been lucky enough to work on some good properties – Transformers, Doctor Who, Torchwood, uh? Turtles? hehe? but unfortunately the work is so sporadic, you can?t make a living off it.

Do you do work for IDW, Kris, or is this for UK publications? Anything I might have read?

Also: do you draw, or just colour? (I don’t mean “just” in a pejorative sense, I’m well aware of the significance of colourists; I just mean do you draw as well?)

mick
    Participant

I’m in a well paid job that I hate, and cant afford to take a poorly paid job that I would love, that sucks.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Mick! Hello :) where were you??

Hmm, well, if we’re talking about celebrities, all I’ve got is the touching thing. But my uncle is friends with John Barrowman, Cameron Mackintosh and many awesome people like that ;)

Kris Carter
    Participant

Do you do work for IDW, Kris, or is this for UK publications? Anything I might have read?

Also: do you draw, or just colour? (I don?t mean ?just? in a pejorative sense, I?m well aware of the significance of colourists; I just mean do you draw as well?)

Just the colouring, my line art is “bit crap” (just been drawing some stuff for Ben’s Jump-Leads guest strip if y’don’t believe me!). But yeah, I crayola for Titan and IDW.

Titan, done a few issues and covers for Transformer magazine, and worked on two or three installments of Rift War for Torchwood magazine (and another story called Jetsam). Also did the last two issues of TMNT: Fast Forward

IDW-wise I worked on Transformers: Devastation, Spotlights Arcee, Hardhead, and Cyclonus, also worked on All Hail Megatron 8 & 15, and coloured most of the Revenge Of The Fallen movie comic (had to sig my first NDA for that one! Whooop!)

Also for IDW, I did over half of the Doctor Who: Forgotten series (did the 5th, 6th & 7th Doctor stories, plus loads of 10th Doctor, and the big last issue with all the Doctors up to 10), and also the one shots Autopia, Room With A Deja View, and Cold Blooded War.

So yeah, you may have seen some of it! Hope you liked it, come to think of it!

My Dev-art Gallery…

redhead85
    Participant

Congrats on the new job Carl! What are you gonna be doing?

hummingbird
    Participant

Nice one Carl. I hope it’s an improvemenr on the last job.

> My Dev-art Gallery?

Oh, so that was yours! I liked it, muchly.

I have clients called Rimmer and Lyster, and also a C Annetts.
    Which is nice.

Carlito
    Participant

cheers guys… I don’t actually know what the job is yet because it’s not the one I was actually interviewd for, apparently… I guess it’s like the Kinder Surprise of jobs.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Also for IDW, I did over half of the Doctor Who: Forgotten series (did the 5th, 6th & 7th Doctor stories, plus loads of 10th Doctor, and the big last issue with all the Doctors up to 10), and also the one shots Autopia, Room With A Deja View, and Cold Blooded War.

Awesome stuff. Yeah, I read The Forgotten (nice story, shame about the ending) – in fact, if you coloured the big double-page spread of all ten Doctors, then that’s been posted here somewhere before ;-) And RWADV, too – I know Rich, so I made sure to pick that one up even though getting the IDW stuff over here is a patchy process at best…

Kris Carter
    Participant

Awesome stuff. Yeah, I read The Forgotten (nice story, shame about the ending) – in fact, if you coloured the big double-page spread of all ten Doctors, then that?s been posted here somewhere before ;-) And RWADV, too – I know Rich, so I made sure to pick that one up even though getting the IDW stuff over here is a patchy process at best?

Yup, the spread was mine! I’ve got some comp copies of the IDW Who stuff kicking about if you’re missing any. Rich’s story made my brain hurt!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have an excellent job. Unfortunately I’ve demonstrated recently a previously untapped potential to be complete arse.

Rather have a shitty job TBH.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ain’t I glass half empty today!

First post for fucking ages and it’s a winge.

I’m off to watch some Gervais.

Anonymous
    Inactive

*testing, testing*

Cunt piss wank bollocks Alabama hot pocket

si
    Participant

>First post for fucking ages and it?s a winge.

Never mind, nice to have you back.

>I?m off to watch some Gervais.

GET OUT!

*vomits*

Dave
    Participant

>Cunt piss wank bollocks Alabama hot pocket

Adorable.

Hey. Hey! I’ll thank you to tone down the language. My computer screen is not a toilet, and I most certainly do not appreciate being subjected to filthy, nasty, rude and frankly disgusting words like “*l*b*m*” and “G*rv**s”. I mean, really.

si
    Participant

Oh, fuck off. ;)

> I don?t actually know what the job is yet because it?s not the one I was actually interviewd for, apparently?

It’s unbelievable how often that happens, or you’re interviewed but then suddenly the job doesn’t exist (or it never did and the interviewing has just happened to make up a quota or something, other people trying to keep themselves in a job).

Dave
    Participant

>the job doesn?t exist (or it never did…

You would think that with equal opportunities legislation in place to protect applicants from discrimination, that there would also be something requiring employers to actually have a job available when interviewing people for it. In a different sphere it would contravene the trade descriptions act.

I have been interviewed for several jobs that did not exist, mostly by temp agencies fishing for employees.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I interviewed for a property inspector and they put me in the fucking caf?. Awesome. I’m there right now so should hide the monitor…
    I feel really sick today though. Guh.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> I have been interviewed for several jobs that did not exist, mostly by temp agencies fishing for employees.

How does that even work though? I’m not denying it happens, but they don’t earn anything until they send you out for work.

In other news, I’m bloody sick of my job. Which is probably why I’m still online at 1am on a School night.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I’m an unemployed writer, but there are a couple of interesting prospects on the horizon that mean I could very soon be an employed writer. That is, a person employed for the purposes of writing: A friend of mine in “the biz” wants me to work on an animated sitcom he’s got in development with Film Roman, and there’s a comic thingy happening that is nice.

Besides that, I occasionally pack RealD 3D movie posters and glasses into tubes and boxes and mail them out to movie theatres across the world.

Dave
    Participant

>How does that even work though? I?m not denying it happens, but they don?t earn anything until they send you out for work.

They interview you for a fictitious job to check that you’ll turn up suited, booted & convoluted, ask you interview type questions and test you on Word, ExCel & Powerpoint. Then they say we can’t offer you that job but we’ll keep your records on file. There never was a job, I had a friend in recruitment, who told me they do it all the time. Sites like Monster are filled with ads for office jobs with an element of vagueness to them, those are temp agencies fishing.

Gwynnie
    Participant

That just seems weird… Especially as all the temp agencies I went to claimed not to need anyone.

Dave
    Participant

It is odd, and in the current climate probably not happening as much, but most people only temp until something permanent comes along and so people are leave in droves.

Gwynnie
    Participant

My plan was to temp until March but nowhere wanted me! Well, except the one agency I joined, trained with, and then worked with about 3 times before they went bust… sad times..

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Then they say we can?t offer you that job but we?ll keep your records on file. There never was a job, I had a friend in recruitment, who told me they do it all the time. Sites like Monster are filled with ads for office jobs with an element of vagueness to them, those are temp agencies fishing.

Er yeah I got that bit. My point is they don’t make any money from you being on there books, or do they?

Carlito
    Participant

I guess its easier to secure a new contract with a company if they can say “we got 2000 people for you to choose from” rather than “we got 20 people for you to choose from”. Also, the more people they sign up, the more people are likely to available to meet their requirements should any company call them tomorrow with an order for a large number of temps.

Worse still are the deceitful ones who never actually inform you that it’s only a temporary job until they’re kicking you out the door, or outright lie and tell you it’s permanent when it isn’t.

Dave
    Participant

>I guess its easier to secure a new contract with a company if they can say ?we got 2000 people for you to choose from? rather than ?we got 20 people for you to choose from?. Also, the more people they sign up, the more people are likely to available to meet their requirements should any company call them tomorrow with an order for a large number of temps.

Exactly

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Either way though they still aren’t taking any money of you.

Also:

> who never actually inform you that it?s only a temporary job until they?re kicking you out the door

Erm well yes that would be bad, which is why you’re supposed to read and sign a contract in these situations.

Don’t get me wrong I know how ages work, I’ve been temping for three years now across various agencies, however they do take some of the leg work out of job-searching and can be useful for getting to know the job markets when you move to a new area.

Carlito
    Participant

> Erm well yes that would be bad, which is why you?re supposed to read and sign a contract in these situations.

Some give you ‘indefinite’ contracts which just keep rolling; basically, they reserve the right at any time to reassign you or make you redundant. I now work for a large and well known media company, but not directly… I actually work for the recruitment company. They get paid by the company and then pay me.

So any contract I’ve signed doesn’t protect me at all. That’s not a moan, a lot of companies do it nowadays.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> but not directly? I actually work for the recruitment company.

Until you ask about such things as complimentary eye-tests because you work with a VDU. Which is when you’ll find out that technically you are infact self-employed ;-)

Ridley
    Participant

even though getting the IDW stuff over here is a patchy process at best?

You can get them on Amazon UK fine these days.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Ah yes, temping can often mean you’re “self employed”, despite the fact that they’ll helpfully take the tax out of your paycheck… interesting, that one.

Carlito
    Participant

I do get free eye tests.

Dave
    Participant

>Ah yes, temping can often mean you?re ?self employed?, despite the fact that they?ll helpfully take the tax out of your paycheck? interesting, that one.

If you are registered as self-employed, and pay tax through a PAYE, then when you submit a tax return you will get a rebate. In February, every actor I know starts talking about their rebate.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

I’m a student and I’ve actually applied for a job at McDonalds…

If they reject me, Christ being rejected by fucking McDonalds, I’m gonna have to go on the game. According to a website I found I can make up to ?160 an hour as an escort for middle-aged divorcees.

si
    Participant

I’ve been rejected by McDonalds, WHSmiths and Blockbuster Video. Shocking.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> I do get free eye tests.

Well that has to be some compensation for the magic morphing contract I suppose. A lot of the legislation for agency staff was due to change in the past 12 months so that agency workers gained a lot of parellels with perm staff (after a set period in the role). It was quite big news for a while, but I can recall if any of it was ever passed. Sounds like it must have been.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Percy, I have a 2:1 and I STILL get rejected from places like that. Geez, the amount of crap jobs I have applied for and never even had an interview. Some people say that having a degree puts them off because they know you won’t settle for their shitty job in the long run… still, though, it’s hardly fair is it – “sorry, you’re too intelligent for this job”, while the “better” jobs don’t think you’re good enough. Even worse is when you go into a place that rejected your application, and the person working there is a complete tool.

Trena
    Participant

University is the new church, where all prayers can be muttered out, but none answered.

I plan to either sell my body or become a carpenter.

si
    Participant

>I plan to either sell my body or become a carpenter.

Either way, you got wood.

Trena
    Participant

And a nasty splinter.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Selling your body is a lot more profitable, it seems. I did an Ann Summers party for a group of “escorts” once who could afford to pay rent on a ?1000 a month flat…

Trena
    Participant

A Youtube link to said event would be welcome by the immediate denizen mob.

hummingbird
    Participant

I think in a lot of cases you’re only going to get a job through who you know. A lot of vacancies aren’t even advertised, they just end up going to friends of friends of existing employees. Saves the company time and a tidy sum on recruitment.

It’s not fair, but that’s the way it goes.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Yeps, I only have my current job because my cousin is the manager..

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>You can get them on Amazon UK fine these days.

Ah, but I don’t mean trades (the comic shops get those in fine, too), I mean getting the actual monthly issues. There’s licensing issues that prevent the Doctor Who stuff (and BOOM!’s Muppet Show and Incredibles titles) being distributed directly through Diamond. The likes of FP still order them in from abroad, but they don’t get them straight away, or on anything like an ordinary schedule.

Viewing 83 posts - 1 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.