Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Space Tourism

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    HelloMabel
    Participant

Who’s rich and wants to go into space?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12909071

I would definitely do this! I would even be willing to drink Tang. If I start saving up now, maybe by the time I retire…

Plastic Percy
    Participant

I don’t want to be on the first ship out, facing all those unknown dangers. When we’ve properlly subjugated those scary monsters by introducing them to alcohol, religion or simply enslaving them, then I’ll go.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Time to start saving up!

JEZZMUND
    Participant

Am i the only one hoping this fucker ‘splodes?
    – just to wipe the smarmy twat grin off branson and co’s faces.

Obv, the ‘splode i’m hoping for will contain simon cuntface cowell…

hummingbird
    Participant

Here is the news: Rich twats get richer as other rich twats go into space, just, y’know, because they feel like it.
    And meanwhile, in the rest of the world, half the planet is starving and there’s still no cure for AIDS.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I hate comments like “Still no cure for cancer,” as though scientific efforts should all be funnelled into one area before moving on to other things.

Regular people – at least, people who aren’t trained astronauts – is an incredible step forward. Saying otherwise is like saying the first commercial airlines were a waste of time. Why would people want to fly to another country? Why waste their time on such frivolous pursuits when there are so many people in the world dying of smallpox?

hummingbird
    Participant

But it’s not about scientific endeavour, is it? I’m all for scientific endeavour in all of it’s shapes and forms. But we already know that man can go into space. It’s been done.

This represents an enormous waste of resources, both in monetary and scientific terms, that ultimately benefits nobody but the super-rich acting out their boyhood fantasies for their own indulgence.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Next time you consider buying a piece of Red Dwarf merchandise, donate the money to charity. I mean, it’s your money…but I’m stipulating what you should spend it on. Because I have morals. Apparently.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Lisa, I was thinking the same thing. It does seem ridiculous that there are so many under-funded avenues of research that could save lives while tons of your tax money is going to poncing about in space… BUT then I remembered how many medical advances have actually come from space research.

hummingbird
    Participant

Gwynnie, if this was about research then I wouldn’t have a problem with it. :-/

si
    Participant

Blimey, a serious discussion on the G&T forum. What’s all *that* about?

Gwynnie
    Participant

I mean research that has had the goal of “let’s travel into space (and see if aliens are out there)” which has had the fortunate side-effect of discovering/inventing useful things. http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/spinoffs.html#health
    A lot of these things had to be created to keep astronauts alive in space, I think… and then they thought “oh, this might be useful for everyone else, too”. I don’t know if that justifies it, though, as I’m sure the military have come up with a lot of useful things, too.

This is a massive, serious topic though ;)… sorry, guys. The ultimate conclusion on one extreme is that we shouldn’t be using computers, eating fancy meals or buying nice clothes when other people are starving and dying of AIDS, but of course nobody wants to make those sacrifices… plus that probably wouldn’t actually help.

redhead85
    Participant

If we don’t develop space travel….how will Red Dwarf exist in the future? *fret*

Ben Paddon
    Participant

On seconds thoughts, let’s not go to the moon. ‘Tis a silly place.

Gwynnie
    Participant

I’m just envisioning a moon theme park similar to the one in Futurama…

Ridley
    Participant

Ooh, that’s a wicked, sinful place. Tilt-A-Whirl’s okay, but the rest is mighty wicked.

redhead85
    Participant

I’m gonna build a better lunar park. With blackjack. And hookers.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

Ah, screw the whole thing.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

To shreds, you say.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.