Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum THE MILL TEST SHOT MAKES ME WET.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paul Muller
    Participant

Right, I don’t want to sound like the sort of person who spends all their free time locked in a darkened bedroom furiously masturbating to cutaway diagrams of star destroyers, but I’ve been pondering as to what to expect from the upcoming Red Dwarf revival episode/series/whatevs, and hoping that we might be treated to some more of the extremely lovely model work produced by the Mill that was seen on the Bodysnatcher DVD. I guess it’s a matter of budget and taste and whether or not anyone apart from me gives the faintest of shits, but I’d infinitely prefer it to updated CGI.

In case you’ve forgotten, it looks like this.

test shot

Discuss.

I SAID DISCUSS.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

One of the best DVD nuggets ever, there.

It wasn’t The Mill, though, was it?

That is indeed some fine looking model work. I suppose it’s possible to recreate that with CGI, but I expect that’s limited to the obsessive-compulsive type with umpteen millions in cash to spend on getting it just exactly right.

Paul Muller
    Participant

I’m pretty sure it was The Mill, hence the logo, but I may be wrong.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I?m pretty sure it was The Mill, hence the logo, but I may be wrong.

This looks like a job for ANDREW!!!!

*shoots a Red Dwarf logo into the clouds*

Andrew
    Participant

> I?m pretty sure it was The Mill, hence the logo, but I may be wrong.

I think the fact that the logo’s on the damn footage really should have left my involvement unnecessary here…

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Hm. I didn’t know what The Mill’s logo looked and I didn’t realise they did physical effects.

So, yeah, you learn something new everyday.

ChrisM
    Participant

Yeah, it’s a shame they didn’t use it in the remastered episodes. I understand the reasoning: they were running out of time, and the model was too large for the room so cameras couldn’t get the distance shots etc (and with the time limit they couldn’t just make smaller models) but it would have been nice if they had left it in the title sequence. They could obviously do that… cos they’d already filmed panning over the ship. (Although they’d need to add the star-field stuff, which was more difficult in those days, but doable.) Maybe they decided to stick with the CG version to keep it uniform with the in-show animation.

(At least thats my understanding of it, might have gotten my wires a bit crossed there.)

It would be nice if they could use some of it in the upcoming revival. That being said a uptodate CGI recreation would look far better than the CG of of that time.

I certainly hope we see some modern effects (be it CGI or modelwork or both) in the upcoming series anyway. It’s not the most important thing, but I’d love to see how Dwarf looks with the modern sparkles.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Well seeing as I’ve only just realised it says Mill Film on it as opposed to ‘null film’ as I’ve always seen it, you can forgive my, and possibly other peoples questionabilities…

Andrew
    Participant

> Hm. I didn?t know what The Mill?s logo looked and I didn?t realise they did physical effects.

Ah – take a look at it when you know it says ‘Mill Film’. Cos it’s the name, in letters…just VERY stylised.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Cos it?s the name, in letters?just VERY stylised.

Aye, to the point where it just looks like a barcode…

performingmonkey
    Participant

I’d guess that 100% CG is on the cards. You can’t blame them really, and we shouldn’t complain for one second – models may exist but setting up a model shoot with film would be too expensive to be worth it, I would imagine. Within the budget of a movie probably.

CGI can certainly look great. Look at Who. OK, probably zero chance of the same CG budget of a Who episode, but it’s amazing what can be done on a shoestring these days. It would be brilliant if it were possible to hire The Mill to do the CG work. Failing that, any old twat with Maya.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I absolutely adore this model shot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.