Timewave

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Timewave

This topic contains 19 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

Berlin

I’m going to rewatch it tonight and try my best to be diplomatic.

quinn_drummer

Who did you loose a bet too?

Berlin

Well, I thought I reallllllly want to self-harm and leave only mental scarring, so it was either this or watch the new Doctor Who

bloodteller

One of the things that really confuses me about Timewave is why the Planet Rimmer (why the fuck is it called that anyway? it’s a moon) greenscreen is so awful. Red Dwarf has done really good greenscreen before, and it’s done really good sequences on the surface of planets, so why does it look so bad? And why is it all shot from one angle?

bloodteller

I mean, I’m no director or anything but I think shooting an entire sequence of an episode from the same front angle (there are other shots, but it’s just the same angle zoomed in) isn’t a very good idea

Taiwan Tony

Nor is Doug.

Dax101

I could watch Timewave again. But i won’t.

Katydid

I don’t get why everyone is so confused about Planet Rimmer being called Planet Rimmer when it’s a moon. Rimmer himself has _titled_ it Planet Rimmer. There’s never a point where they mix up whether it’s a moon or a planet, it’s always identified as a moon as that is _called_ “Planet Rimmer.”

You have to take my word for it because I’ve watched it a few times, one of which was in a recently concluded series watch-through with a friend. He didn’t find Timewave to be awful in the moment, but very quickly cooled on it after it ended as I explained my feelings about it.

Timewave is down at the bottom of the Dave era for me, but I still consider it far more watchable than Series VIII if you can get over the dodgy politics. The thing is I find Timewave’s politics frustrating but Series VIII’s constant sexism feels far more mean-spirited. But ignoring that stuff entirely I still think the episode is better writing on a technical level than Series VIII’s phoned-in writing by a checked out Doug.

Katydid

I did not mean to push the submit button but the mobile layout is stupid.

I totally understand feeling burned and disappointed by a new Red Dwarf episode not being good, but calling it the worst ever just seems like recency bias when episodes like Pete exist. If XII was a third eaten by a two-parter as bad as Pete nobody would be focused on Timewave after it’s all said and done. People who haven’t watched Series VIII in years and years seem to forget how much of it is ages of tedious padding. There’s more good jokes in Krytie TV than Timewave, but it’s also yet ANOTHER episode centered around treating women as nothing but piles of orgasm-facilitating flesh. That stuff makes me actively uncomfortable, whereas Timewave I can shrug off as a middle aged man doing out of touch commentary.

Keep in mind the Petes are the most hated episodes and they actually by far the least offensive episodes of the series. I don’t want to make this out as “which offends you more, Timewave or VIII” because what I dislike most about VIII is simply how tedious and phoned-in it feels. I’ll give Timewave this, it keeps moving, and it feels like a good writer struggling while also working with perhaps not the best premise.

I don’t wanna make this another VIII thread, but it’s hard not to bring it up during a discussion of an episode considered to be one of the worst. I honestly ought to give VIII another watch and see if I feel any differently than I did last year. To BiTR’s credit, cutting out half the runtime seems to create a watchable below average episode out of one I normally find unwatchably tedious and filled with infuriatingly stupid moments.

Is there an award for Ms. G&T Rambling Pedant 2018? On a computer I’d go back and clean up a post like this but I’m on my phone on vacation and can’t be arsed.

bloodteller

I honestly found Timewave to be more mean-spirited, because although there is admittedly some dodgy shit in VIII, it never feels like the writing is trying to justify what is happening as an okay thing to do. Timewave goes out of its way to say that the posse are doing the right thing by trying to leave the crew to die and being really fucking horrible to them. I think that stings more, seeing the characters behave like assholes and being rewarded for it

bloodteller

>There’s more good jokes in Krytie TV than Timewave, but it’s also yet ANOTHER episode centered around treating women as nothing but piles of orgasm-facilitating flesh. That stuff makes me actively uncomfortable, whereas Timewave I can shrug off as a middle aged man doing out of touch commentary.

Honestly that’s fair, VIII is probably a lot harder to watch if it makes your skin crawl. For me personally it does nothing, but I remember feeling very, very uncomfortable upon seeing Timewave. I guess it’s just down to personal preference?

That said, I watched Cassandra a while ago and cringed a little at the use of ‘retarded’. I mean I still like the episode, but I’d sure like it more if they didn’t use that word.

Warbofrog

From what I remember, I wasn’t offended by Timewave, just ashamed and depressed. So many jokes were either cringeworthy or painfully dragged out, it was rubbish. Other episodes I didn’t care much for like Siliconia at least had redeeming moments (if that’s the one with the reveal of the fridge being right next to Lister). Timewave just failed, and the more you analyse it, the worse it gets.

I felt similarly about Pete Part 2 and Only the Good back in the day. I’d enjoyed VIII up to then, and thought Pete Part 1 was very funny, but those last two always left me feeling disappointed like VII had.

International Debris

I still think there are a number of very funny moments in Timewave, which puts it above most of VIII in my book. But I do think VIII is genuinely bad television in general, so it’s not much of a compliment. Timewave does has a mixture of dodgy politics, appalling structure and nonsensical / contradictory plot points, which still makes it difficult going. I don’t think it’s completely worthless, but do wonder how much strain was on Doug to finish 12 scripts if that actually got through.

I don’t find Cured very funny, although can acknowledge its strengths in concept and performances, so at the end of Timewave I had this horrible feeling that the XII I was looking forward to so much would end up being my least favourite of the Dave series. Thankfully the second half remedied that.

Dax101

>Timewave goes out of its way to say that the posse are doing the right thing by trying to leave the crew to die and being really fucking horrible to them. I think that stings more, seeing the characters behave like assholes and being rewarded for it

But the guest characters are zany/annoying. so its funny that the dwarfers just wanna get away from the zany/annoying characters.

Katydid

There is just so much you could do with depicting a culture where nobody is ever under duress to do anything. But, Timewave is clearly more interested in making a point than having an interesting or engaging or funny story. Who would actually wear costumes like that to work?

Plus, Simpsons did it better. “Bart’s Inner Child” features the Do As You Feel Festival that devolves into a riot, because nobody actually did their job because they didn’t feel like it. That whole sequence feels like Timewave’s central idea actually thought through as a comedy premise and not as a pretense to soapbox about kids these days.

bloodteller

>There is just so much you could do with depicting a culture where nobody is ever under duress to do anything. But, Timewave is clearly more interested in making a point than having an interesting or engaging or funny story. Who would actually wear costumes like that to work?

Yeah, surely if you could wear what you want, you’d just wear like, pajamas or something? Or maybe just dress really casually, or maybe if you really like suits, you’d wear a suit. The idea that if people could express themselves freely they’d all dress in garish fancy-dress outfits is utterly bizarre. Also, the idea of people doing whatever jobs they want and therefore being really bad at them? Surely if you could have whatever job you wanted, you’d make an effort to do that job well and good, rather than just fucking everything up. The whole premise of this “society without criticism” doesn’t work at all in the way it’s delivered. It seems to hinge on everyone not wanting to do the jobs they want to do properly, and having a bizarre precedent for wearing ridiculously stupid costumes. There’s an interesting idea in a society without criticism, but the episode goes straight past that and instead tries to do irreverent social commentary rather than actually explore the idea

Warbofrog

What if Doug were to claim that nobody “got” Timewave and how he’s horrified that people think he was seriously trying to make a good episode or put forward those views, when the whole meta point was to make a dodgy shambles that fans could enjoy ripping to shreds. Would that explanation/face-saving hold water at all?

“Spit-on-her-wrist was a blatant clue! The respect you have for me is awesome, innit?”

bloodteller

Timewave is basically the Red Dwarf equivalent of that one Wallace & Gromit short where it’s all live action and everyone is played by Lenny Henry. Just really fucking weird, wrong, unpleasant, and unsettling in every possible way you could imagine

GlenTokyo

Timewave is the Red Dwarf equivalent of a video of Doug using the toilet somehow got out.

Weird, wrong, unpleasant, unsettling.

How do you move on when you’ve seen the creators starfish?

Timewave has scarred me.

Dave

Timewave is basically the Red Dwarf equivalent of Pete Part Two.

Weird, wrong, unpleasant, unsettling.

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.