Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum And the award for most shameless recycling of old film props goes to…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Paul Muller
    Participant

Was watching passable 1981 sci-fi flick Outland the other day.

Noticed that this

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/roomwithaview86/outland-spacesuit.jpg

bears more than a passing resemblance to this

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o26/roomwithaview86/spacesuit.jpg

It’s probably been pointed out on here before, but I thought it was quite funny.

I like the giant hose inside the helmet as well, though it looks like it could take someone’s eye out.

Andrew
    Participant

Good lord!

John Hoare
    Participant

Bloody hell. Quite distinctive, isn’t it?

Baz
    Participant

Recycling of props is quite common. As I recall the square panels of little lights on the walls of Starbug in Season 6 (possibly others) were from the walls of “Mother’s” interface chamber from Alien. They were either around when the set was built or picked up with a load of other set detailing, can’t recall. Ask Mike next time you see him.

And if you watch the film “Ice Pirates”, count the number of old “Logan’s Run” tv series props they use, particularly the vehicles.

ChrisM
    Participant

Yeah it makes sense really. Saves on money, and why make a new prop if it’s been made already? (As long as it’s not too obvious of course.) Kind of surprised that space suit was even noticed. One is white, the other is blue… and well… to me space suits tend to be rather samey anyway. (Not including Cat’s space suit with cufflinks in Series 2 of course!)

I remember watching Firefly:The Train Job with commentary a while back. I was amused to hear someone mentioning they had actually swiped the outfits from Starship Troopers for the Alliance guards on the train. Funny thing is, in the change of setting it really did work.

Paul Muller
    Participant

“Kind of surprised that space suit was even noticed. One is white, the other is blue? and well? to me space suits tend to be rather samey anyway.”

I am slightly worried by the sheer scale of geekiness my find involved.

TheLeen
    Participant

I’m impressed.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Tis a great find, Paul, well done!

Phil
    Participant

I can’t really see the in-helmet hose in the propstore pic, but otherwise it looks very similar. I wonder…

Baz
    Participant

Liked Outland. Got it on DVD. The whole “exploding in vacuum” thing is a bit silly, but otherwise a good cops in space film.

Incidentally, was watching Labyrinth the other day and looking at the credits and noticed that Danny JJ was one of the voices of the Fireys. Hadn’t realised that.

Ridley
    Participant

He’s the awesome one with the moustache/goatee combo

And another one that doesn’t have enough facial hair.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

And on the extended mix on the soundtrack he gets his own little mini-rap.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.