Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Bobby on YouTube

Viewing 36 posts - 51 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Moonlight
    Participant

To reboot = to switch something on after it’s been fully switched off.

Rebooting a computer is a synonym for restarting, and to revive something is to bring it back from the dead. So we could make the semantic argument in exactly the opposite direction.

Dave
    Participant

> Those are pretty darn similar concepts

they are doing very different things. And that’s the point people here are trying to distinguish.

RunawayTrain
    Participant

As I understand it:

Rebooting/restarting a computer is usually because something has changed – most commonly after a software update.  Or because it’s lagging and the reboot shuts programmes down and clears temporary files or whatever.

Reviving would be akin to waking it up from sleeping/hibernation, or turning it on again after it’s been switched off for a while simply because it wasn’t being used.

Two different purposes, two different meanings – originally, anyway.

Although to be fair I don’t know whether there was any difference when you had to put in a disk to be able to boot up the computer, which would be the *original* original meaning, but I’m not sure those terms were used metaphorically until the computing usage became as above.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Right, usually you would only say you’re rebooting a PC when you’re switching it off but switching it back on immediately. There aren’t many TV series that feels analogous to. Maybe shows that were cancelled by their original network but then very quickly picked by another one? I don’t think many people would describe e.g. Brooklyn Nine-Nine Seasons 6-8 as a revival to be honest, let alone a reboot.

That’s why what the words have come to mean via popular usage is most important… but then of course we just end up disagreeing about whether or not said usage is actually popular enough to be recognised as a correct definition.

Moonlight
    Participant

My argument is that calling every time something comes back a “reboot” means I need to ask follow-up questions about what exactly that means that could be answered by the word we use to describe the thing itself.

My argument is that calling every time something comes back a “reboot” means I need to ask follow-up questions about what exactly that means that could be answered by the word we use to describe the thing itself.

Yeah this. Something is lost by reducing the language down from 2 good descriptive words to one single word that could mean either thing. 

I’m generally in the camp of “language changes and evolves” and accept that reboot is used to mean revival. But it isn’t helpful and at the very least blogs and news outlets could help by using the distinctions 

Flap Jack
    Participant

Yeah, I get that for sure.

For what it’s worth, I’m sorry for derailing the thread like this. I could have just let “well, reboot seems like a correct word to me” remain in my head, or just said it once and left it, but internet forums create a compulsion… at the very least I could have derailed it with something more fun than semantic argument.

Last year someone made a post on the Last of Us subreddit, that was a picture of Ellie as made in the Hogwarts Legacy character creator, and just by pointing out the obvious irony of it, I turned the comments section into a nuclear disaster area in under a couple of hours. This was, in my unbiased opinion, a rare and precious example of Virtuous Thread Derailment. But “there’s no virtuous thread derailment on the Ganymede & Titan forums”, as my great great grandmother used to say.

Moonlight
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I’m sorry for derailing the thread like this.

You say that as if it totally wasn’t me.

Flap Jack
    Participant

Well you made the initial comment, but it was me that turned it into an actual argument. Let’s call it a team effort.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Should be “pedants on both sides”, surely?

Formica
    Participant

Well, are we referencing the tactics or the participants?

Warbodog
    Participant

I think Quinn should have used a semicolon.

23 years and 109 days later and Douglas Adams’ prophesied massacre of the pedants has still yet to take effect. What’s taking them so long?

Jenuall
    Participant

“Oh wow, lots of posts in the Bobby on YouTube thread. I wonder what cool stuff Bobby has been saying about the show to generate this much discussion, must be good! …”

Dave
    Participant

Pedantics semantics.

Moonlight
    Participant

♫ Pedantic / -dantic / oh, so frantic! ♫

si
    Participant

Oop, he’s doing another one in ten minutes. You can’t keep him away now, can you?

https://t.co/egStDXml11

Unrumble
    Participant

Oop, he’s doing another one in ten minutes. You can’t keep him away now, can you? 

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

5.55 for another BobCast 

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

Update: “We’ve all agreed to do more, we’re not going to make a whole new series but we’re making…something, and it should be fun. And we’re hopefully… hopefully we’ll make it later this year, if not it’ll be early next year.”

Moonlight
    Participant

Somebody tell me if he says anything about Red Dwarf on this livestream, I got pulled away from it.

Everyone shush. Don’t tell Moonlight

barbucha
    Participant

Bobby talks about electric cars and the planned return of Red Dwarf. Filming should take place at the turn of 2024/2025!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJgCXUWq5_w

Full stream on his Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUtsAWDSUTM&t=0s

Can’t believe I missed a discussion about the word reboot. Can we revive it so I can join in?

(You certainly wouldn’t replace revive with reboot there, would you?)

Podey
    Participant

So, according to Bobby, it’s 3 x half hour episodes telling one story rather than a feature-length special. Thoughts?

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/red-dwarf-three-new-episodes-newsupdate/

Warbodog
    Participant

So, according to Bobby, it’s 3 x half hour episodes telling one story rather than a feature-length special. Thoughts?

I can’t help but compare to how Back in the Red and Back to Earth turned out vs The Promised Land and feel disappointed by the idea, but just have to find out. Then again, 3 recording dates rather than 2 would mean more lucky people can go.

Formica
    Participant

Podey
    Participant

God that Kryten mask really is terrible. 

It was spot on for Back To Earth, I don’t know how they managed to forget how to make it in the years between.

Flap Jack
    Participant

My first thought is that the circumstances for this being 3 parts are very different to the circumstances for Backs in the Red and to Earth, so it’s probably not a huge cause for concern. If done well it could be the happy medium between The Promised Land and Confidence & Paranoia / Me2. 3 distinct episodes but with a prominent throughline.

My second thought is “Yes! At least 3 more entries in the Ruby Reckoning!”

My third thought is “… cliffhangers and the anticipation between the episodes could be fun?”

Jenuall
    Participant

Formica
    Participant

Perhaps I should make myself clearer.

clem
    Participant

“… cliffhangers and the anticipation between the episodes could be fun?”

Yeah it sounds like maybe they’re aiming for a bit of “event telly” with the three-part broadcast, perhaps on three consecutive evenings just like BTE, but the feature-length version will be intended as the definitive one. Fair enough I suppose. 

Dave
    Participant

My second thought is “Yes! At least 3 more entries in the Ruby Reckoning!”

Mine was: a Smegle that I might actually stand a chance of guessing. 

Dax101
    Participant

A 3 part special gives me Back To Earth flashbacks. Also 30 minutes less than TPM.

Viewing 36 posts - 51 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.