Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Build your own Red Dwarf

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paul Muller
    Participant

For any budding modelmakers out there, long running UK hobby magazine Sci-Fi & Fantasy Modeller has an in depth guide to scratchbuilding your very own metre long version of the S1-2 Dwarf, as designed by Peter Wragg.

All it takes is an everlasting supply of superglue, MDF and styrene and the patience of a tectonic plate. Worth a read even if, like me, you aren’t remotely close to possessing the kind of skills required for such a project.

SFFM Vol.38 can be purchased here: http://bit.ly/1MVVB8i

And here’s an image of the finished thing.

There’s also a great article by RDX modelmaker Steve Howarth on his ‘Time Machine’ project, also definitely worth casting an eye over.

Renegade Rob
    Participant

Where can you procure large amounts of styrene? I’m considering building a 1:1 scale model.

Paul Muller
    Participant

I always go to http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk – probably best to use something like High Impact Polystyrene.

You will also need a workshop approximately five miles long.

I’ve built a myriad of models but none more than two feet and without rather comprehensive guides. I’ve always been interested in a 6 or 12 foot build of the Crimson Short One to serve as a nice talking point at Dimension Jump but alas, I foresaw two main challenges.

1 – If it’s travelling, it has to travel in sections and be well protected from bumps and shocks that will dislodge the finer details, let alone warp the main structural plates. This means it has to be modular and able to be assembled and broken down easily and not show the seams between separate sections or where finer details were reattached once it’s arrived at its destination. Thankfully, it can be done with Red Dwarf as there is plenty scope to obscure joins with various layers hull plating and little oddities such as the observation deck..

2 – There’s reference material on-screen for a relatively accurate build of either the original BBC model or the Series X build which is a cut and shunt of the Remastered ‘pencil’ model. But both are open to interpretation. I’d never, ever diverge from the canon look, colour and use of components such as the scoop, engine and side details but I’ve always wanted a build of Red Dwarf that ideally serves as a transition between the original and new looks to remove the sheer ironmonger-esque feel of the original but step back from the streamlined feel of the Series X model, not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.