Jokes you don't/didn't get

Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Jokes you don't/didn't get

This topic contains 253 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by  flanl3 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 254 posts - 1 through 254 (of 254 total)

Jump to bottom

• Author

bloodteller

i know there’s the thing of “the joke isn’t funny if you explain it” but were there ever gags in Red Dwarf you didn’t get? and if so, what?

i never quite got what Cat’s “stan and ollie” line in White Hole was about, for example. nor did i get what “see you in ten minutes?” (repeat x10) from Pete was all about, and also Rimmer’s “steers and queers, which are you boy?” joke from Meltdown

Jawscvmcdia

“I believe he’s just discovered what shirt-tails are for”.

International Debris

Stan and Ollie are Laurel and Hardy, comparing Kryten and Rimmer to a pair of buffoons.
    See you in ten minutes is Doug stumbling around trying to find a joke and failing.

Pete Part Three

“Steers and Queers” : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T51A0naeGZE

(It’s either a specific reference to Full Metal Jacket, or an Officer and a Gentlemen. Probably both; bearing in mind it quickly became tropey dialogue for line-up inspections).

Stan and Ollie are Laurel and Hardy. It’s the Cat taking the piss out of Kryten and Rimmer by referring to them as a comedy double act.

“See You in 10 minutes” is how longs Hollister thinks it will be before Lister and Rimmer fuck up again and get sent to his office. This is the limit of the joke. It is shit.

Pete Part Three

Ben Saunders

“See you in 10 minutes” is just a bad example of Doug’s “if I repeat something 10,000 times it will be funny” crutch which you see in Krysis and the like. It’s only a very slightly humorous way for the boys to mess with Hollister with the time wand, and the best aspect of the whole thing is watching Big Mac McDonald’s have to say the same line over and over and over again, with him becoming noticeably bored/almost corpsing.

I think I’ve said this before but I’d never heard of Tales of the Riverbank as a child so I didn’t “get” the joke, and just thought it was made up for the show, and that having made-up TV shows in Dwarf was just really good worldbuilding.

Ben Saunders

Any reference to 80s culture and stuff like James Last etc also went right over my head. And the joke about not wanting Glenn Miller(?) back, I distinctly remember my reaction being utter silence

cwickham

Wasn’t “see you in 10 minutes” meant to be the original ending to the episode, back when it was a one-part story called “Captain’s Office”?

bloodteller

i remember getting the Glen Miller joke when i was younger, but most of the James Last stuff i didn’t get- i still laughed at the “Oh my god there’s James Last” from Meltdown though because even without knowing who he is, it still works as a joke.

>you see in Krysis

was incredibly confused as to what this was for a second, then i remembered that “maaaaargh” shit

bloodteller

>Wasn’t “see you in 10 minutes” meant to be the original ending to the episode, back when it was a one-part story called “Captain’s Office”?

yeah, i think that’s what the VIII DVD booklet says.

International Debris

See you in 10 minutes would probably have worked a lot better as an episode-ending joke rather than yet another thing to slow down an already tedious story.

“Maaargh” works for me because it’s something with a certain intrinsic humour (it’s a funny sound and there’s no noticeable difference between the versions), so the ‘repeating it until it stops being funny and then becomes funny again’ thing has the opportunity to work. “See you in 10 minutes” isn’t funny in the first place.

Ben Saunders

It happens a couple times in the Dave era but fuck me if I can remember any of them. For me maaargh is funny to begin with, stops being funny, then just becomes a bit irritating.

“And save Planet Rimmer” is another example I think of a joke just being repeated 27 times

International Debris

“And save Planet Rimmer” is something that I really feel should be funny, but misses the mark for some inexplicable reason. Maybe Chris overplays it.

bloodteller

he seems to overplay a lot of his lines in the Dave episodes though, doesn’t he?

one that really stood out to me was his borderline cartoonish delivery of “I’ve got FLAWS?” in Officer Rimmer

Ben Saunders

Barrie is on absolute top form here and there in XI and XII but also overplays a few moments, like those ones. And “you’re a moron”

Lily

Quite a lot of the 80s references missed me, even though I was alive at the time and first watched Dwarf as an adult. Think it’s mostly footballing stuff that passed me by, like Peter Beardsley.

Warbodog

Good old http://www.red-rose.com/www.cobalt.demon.co.uk/alt.tv.red-dwarf/reflist-tv-255.html is there for all your reference-getting needs (up to December 1997).

Or you could just have googled “stan and ollie,” “steers and queers” etc.

clem

I remember not knowing who Paul Robeson was, or that Ishtar is considered to be one of the worst films ever made. Just maybe the Ishtar line was removed for Remastered because Doug saw the film and liked it.

bloodteller

one other joke i didn’t get was in an episode of VII (i can’t remember which, they all sort of blend into one) where kochanski moans about how she hates being stuck with some “neurotic droid who’s completely obsessed with my pants drawer!” to which kryten responds “you mean I’m not alone?” what does this mean? is kryten being really self-deprecating or is there actually another android onboard going around perving over kochanski’s knickers?

Ben Saunders

The joke is him not noticing/recognising he is being called neurotic, surely?

genericnerdyusername

Kryten does say “Oh I see, you mean me” afterwards but it’s a bit hard to hear over the audience, who are laughing for some reason.

International Debris

For a long time, I thought “smoke me a kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast” was just a bit of lolrandom nonsense. It took me a long time to work out that actually it means “even though I’m plunging into danger, I’m so good I’ll be back in time for breakfast, so make me some smoked kippers please”.

Ben Saunders

I think “stoke me a clipper” is something you can actually do, like stoking the flames of a lighter (?) And it took me until about last year to realise that

It’s still a dumb line. But if it didn’t draw attention to itself by being the title of the episode it probably wouldn’t stick out as much.

Pete Part Three

I didn’t know what “rimming” was until Doug changed the title of “Natural Born Rimmers” because it sounded naughty. Oh, the irony.

Pete Part Three

Pretty sure “stoke me a clipper” is just nonsense, by the way.

Ben Saunders

It can mean add fuel to a lighter but whether it was intended to be sensical, probably not

Warbodog

Yeah, my whole family smokes and we use that phrase about 20 times daily.

flanl3

With or without the Christmas bit?

Warbodog

Since I read Clipper’s title as a nipper, I’ve associated it with the abstract concept of bicycle clips, because those were a thing I’d heard referenced disparagingly a couple of times in Dwarf (Dimension Jump, Only the Good). I’ve only just learned what they are.

I didn’t know what a haggis was when I first watched Balance of Power, I thought it was probably a type of fish (haddock?) Even now I’ve lived in Scotland and eaten many haggi, I still imagine Rimmer’s counting up irradiated fish.

I didn’t realise Blue Midget was a joke/pun until it was discussed here recently. I’d always known a red dwarf was a type of star because of my Weetabix space book, so I assumed blue midgets and white giants were probably legit star classifications too and never questioned it.

Lily

I’ve always taken ‘stoke me a clipper’ as a malapropism. Nothing more complicated than Rimmer fucking up the line.

clem

“We got more chance of persuading a dentist to hang around an X ray machine.” Eh?

Flap Jack

“We got more chance of persuading a dentist to hang around an X ray machine.” Eh?

I can’t imagine what caused you to remember this line in particular, clem. :P

The joke (for want of a better term) is just that if you get your mouth X-rayed during a dentist appointment, the dentist will leave the room while it’s happening. That’s it.

clem

Right, thanks Flap Jack. I knew that but foolishly thought there had to be more to it. I dunno, maybe Cat’s saying dentists are hypocrites for subjecting their patients to X rays but not themselves. You know, the way the Cat’s always coming out with that kind of withering put-down about dentists.

Ben Saunders

Has Cat Ever Been To The Dentist

I guess he went to the medi-bot in X maybe

Flap Jack

He might have gone as early as Future Echoes, given what happens to him in that episode.

Though no virtual or robotic dentist would need to leave the room when the x-ray is being taken, so it still doesn’t make sense. The only explanation is that one of the others told him about it for some reason, or he saw it in a TV show or film. Maybe he binge-watched My Family.

The real explanation, of course, is that Series VIII would just give random one-liners to whomever. Doesn’t really matter if it’s something the character might actually say.

Also it was cut so does it really count?

bloodteller

cat watches a lot of TV shows according to Back In The Red (he mentions it in the trial scene) so maybe he’s just picked it up from there

bloodteller

idea- cat started watched the movie Blade Runner shortly before the events of Back To Earth, thus explaining all the references to it. TV shows no longer do it for him and he has moved on to films

Pete Part Three

Yes, he probably watched a shit sitcom episode where this unfunny observation was made.

bloodteller

cat has been watching a lot of Red Dwarf

Lily

>Good old http://www.red-rose.com/www.cobalt.demon.co.uk/alt.tv.red-dwarf/reflist-tv-255.html is there for all your reference-getting needs (up to December 1997).

It’s quite interesting reading through this. It’s astounding just how many general cultural references there are. It’s a wonder that foreign markets ‘get’ RD, considering how many jokes rely on having a minimal amount of UK knowledge.

Maybe that’s why 8 is popular overseas, it has more accessible broad jokes, rather than quips about Felicity Kendal’s bottom.

Taiwan Tony

>Felicity Kendal’s bottom

If you’ve got ANYTHING to say about Felicity Kendal’s bottom, you can just about blummin well say it to me, first!

bloodteller

>Maybe that’s why 8 is popular overseas

VIII is more popular overseas? not trying to be a dick or anything, i’m just wondering where you heard about that

Hamish

I don’t think you really need to know who Felicity Kendall is to get the basic meaning of the joke though. Same with most of the references.

Speaking as an ignorant Canadian here.

Flap Jack

Seconded. I had no idea who Kevin Keegan was when I first saw Series 1 (other than having the vague feeling that he was a genuine famous person), but the idea that the worst book ever written as of hundreds of years in the future – as judged quasi-objectively by an AI – would be such an ordinary one is brilliant.

It’s basically just a variation on the Hitchhiker’s joke that the worst poetry in the universe was just written by some random guy from Essex. In that case, the person named wasn’t really famous either, so it especially didn’t matter when later versions anonymised the name.

Though the update to the Kevin Keegan gag did ruin it, but that was because (a) they tried to make the new name inherently funny rather funny because of how ordinary it is, and (b) they made the football reference deliberately Sci-Fi-ish; it’s not because the author was no longer real.

Warbodog

I knew who Kevin Keegan was (he visited my school once), but I always took the gag to be a specific dig at a real and recent celebrity best-seller, generally perceived to be not especially well-written.

But googling and using the Red Dwarf reference guide, it looks like they made it up. The bloody book doesn’t exist. Or it just hasn’t stood the test of time and is now only remembered as a Red Dwarf joke.

bloodteller

there is a book called Football- It’s A Funny Old Game, its just not by kevin keegan

International Debris

I think knowing who Kevin Keegan is probably adds a layer to it – there’s something about him which invites a certain idea of naffness – but yeah, the main joke is that ‘Football – it’s a Funny Old Game’ is a bit of a crap title for probably a bit of a dull book, and it’s been concluded that it’s the worst book ever written.

Pete Part Three

Kev obviously don’t write it for another 5 years. It’s around the time Cliff Richard gets shot.

Ben Saunders

The name of the author never even registered to me honestly, the punchline of “football – it’s a funny old game” is funny enough to me and I probably laughed over the author

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

there is a book called Football- It’s A Funny Old Game, its just not by kevin keegan

I used to have it – it was by Saint and Greavsie.

bloodteller

“I’m so gorgeous, there’s a 6-month waiting list for birds to suddenly appear every time I am near.”

is Cat talking about legit birds here (feathery flying things) or is he referring to women using slang? Bottom Live 3 did this bird/bird confusion as a joke I think

Plastic Percy

It’s the lyrics to ‘Close to You’ by The Carpenters.

Why do birds suddenly appear
    Every time you are near?
    Just like me, they long to be
    Close to you.

bloodteller

ohhhh, i’ve heard that song before! no idea why i didn’t realise the connection

International Debris

I’d like to be an arse and point out that the Carpenters version, while the most famous recording of the song, came out seven years after the first recording of the song by Richard Chamberlain. It’s a Bacharach & David song. And a bloody great one at that.

It’s also one of those jokes that’s utterly terrible and utterly brilliant at the same time.

Taiwan Tony

Why do birds!
    Why do
    Why do

Well you get the idea.

Pete Part Three

Let’s just post it for Bloodteller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-StJjUwIfM

Flap Jack

I’d like to formally thank the Simpsons episode “The Way We Was” for obliterating any possible barrier I could have had to understanding that Cat line.

Ben Saunders

Isn’t it in Austin Powers 1? But yes, I think the Simpsons episode was my first exposure to it.

Hamish

> It’s also one of those jokes that’s utterly terrible and utterly brilliant at the same time.

That is basically the entire comedic potential of the Cat as a character in one sentence.

Unrumble

Dave

You know, someone should really post that clip from I’m Alan Partridge where he sings it.

Pete Part Three

It’s not in Austin Powers, Ben. It’s a Burt Bacharach/Hal David collaboration though, and has a similar composition to their songs; “What the World Needs Now”. (featured in Austin Powers IMOM) and “I’ll Never Fall In Love Again” (featured in TSWSM).

It is in There’s Something About Mary though, just in case you were mixing up 1990’s Hollywood comedies.

Ben Saunders

Nah I was definitely mixing it up with What The World Needs Now, which to be fair has a very similar melodic structure, at least to begin with

Ben Saunders

“Rubber shares went up this morning” always went right over my head when i was young. Is it implying Ace uses a lot of condoms or is it about his jumpsuits or what? I felt it’s a very funny line delivered well even before i could begin to get it.

Pete Part Three

Condoms. Or “Rubber Johnnys” as we called them back in the day.

Flap Jack

Specifically, it’s that everyone is panic-buying condoms when they hear Ace Rimmer is back, just in case they have the opportunity to fuck him.

It’s not about Ace’s personal prophylactic usage, because then it would be a joke about his libido, rather than a joke about how attractive he is.

bloodteller

>Specifically, it’s that everyone is panic-buying condoms when they hear Ace Rimmer is back, just in case they have the opportunity to fuck him.

are the condoms for Ace to wear or for the people buying them?

Dave

The way the stock markets work, it’s not necessarily that extra purchases have been made so much as the market expects extra purchases to be made (or even – depending on how far you take it – that the market expects the market to expect extra purchases to be made, and so on). So the condom sales may only be theoretical/expected.

I think the joke definitely warrants this level of analysis.

Flap Jack

That very much depends on the person, and the outcome of a discussion that they and Ace would have beforehand.

quinn_drummer

What even more depressing to think about, is that the people speculating on rubber stocks will have their lives ruined within 24hours. After they have plunged all their investment savings in rubber/latex/condom companies, Ace buggers off on a one way trip to explore the multi-verse.

Share prices would plummet on that news and everyone would lose out.

Now I was a spin off showing the dystopian world left behind in the wake of Ace vanishing and the planet/solar system’s economy crashing over night.

Also, something I’ve always wondered and will bring up now as it’s tangentially on subject. What the sodding hell is the point of test flying a dimension jumping ship if there is no way of knowing it succeeded? They lose their best pilot, they lose a massively expensive piece of prototype kit, and they basically lose the millions/billions spent on it because if they don’t know the success, or how to return it, they have no reason to carry on with the experiment. They certainly wouldn’t get any further funding after throwing it all way like that.

Know one would test dive a submarine knowing you couldn’t resurface it again. If it doesn’t resurface then you know there is a problem, but there at least has to be the mechanism built in to get it back, then you know you’ve failed.

By shooting Ace off into the multi-verse without a mechanism of retrieval, all they know is he has vanished.

Ben Saunders

Well if he vanishes i assume they assume he made it? They might have don’t support sciencey equipmemt to detect hawking radiation or tachyons or whatever they expect to be emitted from a successful jump

The people who test space rockets in real life know they might not come back, and many don’t

Ben Saunders

I somehow managed to type “don’t support” instead of “some”, there

Dave

Maybe as soon as their Ace shot out of their dimension, an alternative Ace from another dimension shot in.

Thus saving rubber shares from freefalling.

quinn_drummer

Space rocket pilots have a built in mechanism for return. They know they might die accidentally, but they’re not sent to space on a one way trip. We reserve that for animals.

So that begs the question. If they have a process of testing whether it succeeded by some science technobabble … why not do the test jump remotely?

Dave makes a good point. I’ve always considered there only being one Ace at any given moment, and he passes the baton when he dies to a new Ace. But that’d be impossible with the sheer number there have been that we see in Stoke. There’d have to be more than one traversing the multiverse at any given time.

Pete Part Three

Yes, it’s pretty daft. TBF, Rob Grant seems to have realised this as when the same mission is explored in Backwards (the novel), the ship has been designed to break the light-barrier. Another Wildfire then arrives (with a dead, char-grilled Ace Rimmer) 3 days before the intended launch date, and Tranter believes that the ship has also mastered time-travel. Later, Ace and Spanners realise that it’s actually the Wildfire from another dimension, and they argue this point.

Um, HERE. (You can possibly cling onto the Tachyon message idea for the rationale in the TV show):

Ace exhaled a thick, blue cloud of cheroot smoke. ‘No. ‘Fraid not, Admiral. As far as we can tell, dimension travel’s something of a one-way street. Look, if the infinite-dimensions theory is correct, every single second of every single day, millions of people are making key choices that affect the course of their existences, each decision spawning yet another reality. It would be impossible to map a way through. Frankly, even if we thought we could find a way back, it would be impossible to establish for absolute certain whether or not the reality we returned to was the one we left.’
    Tranter poured himself a glass of water from his unusually large carafe. ‘So the upshot is, Commander, you’re expecting me to give a green light to this trip, knowing that the best we can hope to achieve from it…’ he sipped, ‘… is flushing thirt billion dollarpounds of hardware and the best pilot we’ve ever had straight down the khazi?’ No doubt about it, he’d have to choke down his pride and send those bloody stars back as soon as they arrived. In fact, he might do well to check up on the second-hand value of the stars he was already wearing.
    ‘Uh, Admiral, we’re about ninety-seven per cent certain Wildfire One could fire off a tachyon message complete with digitalized video footage of the new universe, so long as he got it off inside, say, fifteen seconds of arrival, while his trail back was still warm, uh, as it were, ‘
    ‘Oh, much better. A blurry shot of some stars that are probably identical to the ones we’ve already got, and a soundbite for the News at Noon. That’s a fabulous return for an outlay of thirty billion. That’ll probably snag me the cover of Investor’s Chronicle. I mean, at least the original moon shots from Earth gave the world Teflon.’
    ‘Oh, come on, Bungo,’ Ace cooed, ‘You wouldn’t stop a girl going to a big dance like this, would you? Who knows where the technology could lead? “We’ve got to try it, now we know it’s there.”

Nick R

bloodteller:

one other joke i didn’t get was in an episode of VII (i can’t remember which, they all sort of blend into one) where kochanski moans about how she hates being stuck with some “neurotic droid who’s completely obsessed with my pants drawer!” to which kryten responds “you mean I’m not alone?” what does this mean? is kryten being really self-deprecating or is there actually another android onboard going around perving over kochanski’s knickers?

I always thought the joke was meant to be that because of the word “some”, he mishears “some neurotic droid” as “some neurotic droids”, so he thinks a different mechanoid is being referred to.

Ben Saunders replied above saying that he doesn’t recognise Kochanski’s phrase as being a description of himself. I disagree; I think he does recognise that she’s referring to him, but he’s so accepting of own his neurosis and cleaning obsession that he doesn’t recognise that he’s being criticised, so he ignores that bit and focuses on the plural.

However you interpret it, it’s a convoluted joke.

Pete Part Three

Pretty sure the intention is that Kryten initially believes that Kochanski is referring to someone else is obsessed with Kochanki’s pants drawer. Kryten momentarily believes he is not alone in his obsession, and then realises Kochanski is referring to him.

I don’t think mishearing “droid” as “droids” changes that.

But does it work? Nope. If Kochanski said “neurotic moron” rather than “neurotic droid”, then I could accept that Kryten thinks someone else is obsessed with Kochanski’s pants drawer (Lister, The Cat). But she says “droid”, so there’s no room for ambiguity there.

And because Kryten’s initial reaction is to “So, I’m not alone?”, than that means he already accepts that *he’s* obsessed with Kochanski’s pants drawer…so there should be no confusion.

IT MAKES NO SENSE.

International Debris

Yeah, it’s a cheap gag but it would work better if there was a possibility that there *could* be someone else. As it is it’s just a cheap gag that doesn’t work.

bloodteller

maybe the other droid obsessed with her pants is Frank, the washing machine mentioned in i think either Duct Soup or Blue

Plastic Percy

I think that’s one of the better jokes VII, naming a washing machine Frank as he works better with an identity.

PFMC84

That very much depends on the person, and the outcome of a discussion that they and Ace would have beforehand.

Well, he’s strictly butter side up so he would be the one using the condoms, not the people he has sexual encounters with.

International Debris

Unless he has sex with a pre-op trans woman with an STD.

Ben Saunders

I for a moment there thought he was using butter side up to mean he only tops

Hamish

I think Bongo would be cool with that.

Lily

>“some neurotic droid who’s completely obsessed with my pants drawer!” to which kryten responds “you mean I’m not alone?” what does this mean?

I’ve always taken the joke to be:
    – Kryten does not consider himself obsessed with her pants drawer
    – He thinks he’s ‘alone’ in being the only droid on the ship
    – “you mean I’m not alone” = ooh there’s another droid?!
    – shame face = oh, you’re calling me neurotic and obsessed with pants :(

Question for the Americans though: how well does this translate that the whole issue is regarding underwear and not pants/trousers?

bloodteller

oh okay, i think i get it now. cheers for explaining, that joke always confused the hell out of me.

surely with americans the joke still works even if they think the conversation is about trousers- a droid obssessed with jeans and such is still as strange as a droid obssessed with underwear.

International Debris

Underwear is more pervy though.

Taiwan Tony

Or is it more – understandable?
    Who is the sick man? …In his suit and tie…?
    Etc

Dave

Aaaaaaaaaaah

Unrumble

I’d always interpreted it as Kryten saying “you mean I’m not the only pants-obsessed droid?”

Ben Saunders

I can’t believe this is a debate hahaha Series XIII where are you

Pete Part Three

Ok, last pass at this:

Kryten is obsessed with Kochanski’s pants drawer, and freely admits to this. However, he doesn’t believe himself to be a “neurotic droid”.

Saying “alone”, in this sense is related specifically to believing that someone else shares his viewpoint. So, he believes that there is someone else on Starbug who’s obsessed with Kochanski’s pants drawer (like him)…who is a *neurotic droid*.

Then he twigs that he is the “neurotic droid”, so the person who is obsessed with his pants drawer (like he is)…is him.

Pete Part Three

It’s still shit, though. There’s not enough ambiguity over who’s neurotic (it’s the droid…and there’s only one onboard), so the confusion Kryten momentarily has is…just… dumb.

bloodteller

there’s a lot of weird jokes like that in VII, really. i was watching Epideme the other day and momentarily thought i’d somehow stumbled upon the deleted scenes or some weird bizarro version of the show- there’s a lot of moments in it that i don’t remember being there originally and they all feel really really odd.

there’s one bit where lister and kryten make a crack about kochanski’s cold personality and then do a cheeky look and giggle at each other like naughty schoolboys. it was funny but also rather disorientating. is this red dwarf or grange hill?

International Debris

Having watched VI to death, I basically stuck to my VII off-airs for ages after it was first on, and going back to VI I actually remember feeling uncomfortable at how cold Lister and Kryten can be to each other – Lister telling Kryten not to sacrifice himself because “I’m not doing my own smegging ironing”. If that was VII, Lister would be far less flippant. VII is definitely more ‘chummy’ than the earlier series, and VIII even more so (Lister and Rimmer being pretty much mates at that point). I wonder whether some of the overly cunty behaviour in XI and XII is Doug still trying to accurately redress the balance after that.

bloodteller

honestly i really like the “chummy” feel of VII and VIII, though that’s likely just me. it’s quite nice to see the main characters getting along, having a laugh and just generally being mates. you get the feeling that they’ve all bonded and become good friends with each other- even VIII Rimmer, who’s barely got to know them all, doesn’t even think twice about staying in the mirror universe and instantly heads back to save everyone. or in Pete, when everyone is just genuinely happy to see Rimmer and Lister have escaped from The Hole- it’s a nice break from how cruel the show can feel at times.

i really didn’t like the nastiness between the four in X-XII. i mean, yes Cat was nasty to Rimmer in VI but there’s a more jokey feel to it. in the Dave era, it feels like pretty much everyone except Lister and Kryten despise each other. rimmer’s talk about how he’s annoyed kryten has been thinking for himself lately in Siliconia was rather unpleasant too.

bloodteller

i get that conflict is important but it gets a little uncomfortable at times just seeing them all be so cold to one another

bloodteller

watched Holoship last night, and there’s one line i really don’t get. after Rimmer complains that you’re defined by your job, Kryten starts listing great people who had mundane jobs- Albert Camus, Albert Einstein. he then goes on to say “And of course there’s the oft told tale of the simple carpenter’s son who went on to own the largest chain of pizza stores in history, Harry Bedelbau(?)”

i’m sorry, who? i even tried googling this one and got nothing. what’s all that about.

Dave

Not sure if you’re joking, but the implication is that he’s about to tell the story of Jesus – “a simple carpenter’s son who…” – but it then turns out to be somebody (fictional) who is a lot more mundane than you were led to expect.

bloodteller

oh, that makes sense. i probably would’ve got it if there was a pause between “simple carpenter’s son” and the rest of the sentence, but since it’s one unbroken line i just assumed it was about a real person.

Dave

I think it’s partly due to the fact that Red Dwarf makes reference to both real people and fictional ones in gags like this. If you didn’t know who Kevin Keegan was but then found out he was a real person, you might wonder if the same was true for Harry.

Plastic Percy

I presume it’s just the passing of time and changes in technology, but I just about don’t understand Blaize Falconburger’s comments about never being short of an ashtray in Lister’s house. Was it common practice to use record/cassette/CD cases as ashtrays?

Dave

I think it might go back to vinyl records, which you could melt and turn into ashtrays.

Plastic Percy

Thanks, that makes sense.

On the subject of the above Harry Beedlebaum, I always figured that it was a lawyer-friendly proxy for the Fatty Arbuckle chain of restaurants.

I believe that Grant Naylor deliberately toned down references to fictional celebrities and pop culture from III onwards. The first series is filled with them – Rastabilly Skank, Mugs Murphy etc. But from III onwards they tend to keep it to the likes of Dustin Hoffman, The Flintstones etc.

International Debris

Kind of a shame, as I really like the world-building aspect of Rasta Billy, Mugs Murphy and so on. I think it was part of a general shift towards more sci-fi storytelling that focuses less on the characters’ past daily lives.

Dave

Kind of a shame, as I really like the world-building aspect of Rasta Billy, Mugs Murphy and so on.

Yeah, me too. I guess you don’t want that stuff to distract from or overwhelm the stories, but the likes of those things you mention – and stuff like zero gee football, dollarpounds and esperanto – gave the earlier series a slightly different feel almost as much as the sets did.

Ben Paddon

The WIlma Flintstone scene might’ve worked if they’ve changed the characters’ names to fictional ones, but it’d have been far less funny.

quinn_drummer

The Flintstone scene only really works because we know exactly who they’re talking about, and we know they’re cartoons. Replace that dialogue with fictional names, we have no idea they’re talking about animated fictional children tv characters. You’d immediately just assume it’s some random future live action tv show they’re talking about.

Dave

Yes, it doesn’t work otherwise.

Hamish

What if they cut away from a brief clip of the fictional animated show?

Dave

I think without the recognition factor it’s not as funny in the same way that Joe Klumpp is not as funny as Kevin Keegan.

flanl3

What if they cut away from a brief clip of the fictional animated show?

Like they did in Back in the Red?

Ben Saunders

They’re mad anyway, Betty is the superior choice.

Pete Part Three

>What if they cut away from a brief clip of the fictional animated show?

They’re not even watching The Flintstones when they have the conversation in Backwards

LISTER: Cat?
    CAT: Mmm?
    LISTER: Ya ever see The Flagstones?
    CAT: The animated TV show about a man called Frank and his wife Winifred?, sure,
    LISTER: D’ya think Winifred’s sexy?
    CAT: Wilnifred Flagstone? The animated character in the animated TV show you just mentioned. The one who’s married to a Frank?
    LISTER: Maybe we’ve been alone in deep space too long, but every time I see that body, it drives me crazy. Is it me?
    CAT: Well, I think in all probability, Winifred Flagstone is the most desirable woman that ever lived.
    LISTER: That’s good. I thought I was goin’ strange.
    CAT: She’s incredible!
    LISTER: What d’ya think of Britney?
    CAT: Britney Slagheap, the next door neighbour? (Pause) Well, I would go with Britney… but I’d be
    thinking of Winifred.
    LISTER: This is crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Winifred Flagstone?
    CAT: You’re right. We’re nuts. This is an insane conversation.
    LISTER: She’ll never leave Frank, her husband, and we know it.

Pete Part Three

Oh, the site I copied that extract from Backwards queried what Lister says here: “every time I see that [??] body it drives me crazy”

I realise that I’ve no idea what Craig says here either. It sounds like “sharwood” (?!).

Anyone?

bloodteller

“show”

Pete Part Three

Oh, so it’s “every time I see that *show, her* body drives me crazy”

Sometime it’s difficult to understand the Scouse…people.

Dax101

>world-building aspect of Rasta Billy, Mugs Murphy and so on

For series 1 and 2 you could see they really were trying to say HEY LOOK ITS THE FUTURE WHERE EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT! but by 3 to at least 5 they settled more for verging on pop cultural references and influences.

Modern Dwarf feels more futuristic social commentary on modern times.

Ben Saunders

I can’t work out if PPT edited that transcript to make it clunkier and less funny to make a point or if the Mandela effect is fucking with me or what

clem

> Yeah, me too. I guess you don’t want that stuff to distract from or overwhelm the stories, but the likes of those things you mention – and stuff like zero gee football, dollarpounds and esperanto – gave the earlier series a slightly different feel almost as much as the sets did.

I agree all that stuff added to the richness of the show’s world in the early days. With things like “Wilfred Shakespeare” and Rimmer’s merging of Columbo and Columbus, do we think the intention was that he’s just ignorant, or was the joke meant to be that over time bits of history have gotten distorted and/or mixed up with popular culture? I’ve always thought it was the latter. Lister referring to Cliff Richard being shot could be another example.

bloodteller

its like Rimmer’s line “why don’t you listen to something REALLY classical, like Mozart or Mendhelssen or Motorhead”. is the joke that in the future, Motorhead is considered classical? or is it meant to be Rimmer being stupid?

Warbodog

Probably Rimmer pretending to be cultured (we know he really prefers the classics to be funked-up on Hammond) and ignorantly spouting a historical musical name he’s heard that starts with ‘Mo-‘. Though you can imagine a scene where Rimmer asks Holly to play some Motorhead and sits there pensively pretending to admire it while wincing.

Ben Saunders

I assumed it was a joke about Motorhead being considered Classical. Rimmer pretending to appreciate them in order to seem cultured is pretty funny.

I just thought, Cliff Richard being shot could be a pretty convoluted mixup of remembering where you were when Elvis died and when JFK was shot

Hamish

You know, Grant Naylor predicted the rise of Otakus arguing about who is the “best girl” with the Wilma Flinestone gag.

Wilma is Lister’s Waifu.

International Debris

I assumed the Rimmer remarks were a mix of culture being lost and Rimmer’s ignorance – i.e. these things have become more obscure by this point, especially from an idiot like Rimmer’s perspective. The ‘classical’ joke doesn’t work for me though (it’s used in Doctor Who a couple of times – Vicki calling The Beatles ‘classical music’ in The Chase, Orbital being described as a classical group in one of the novels, as a nod to their cover of the theme tune) because what is generally regarded as ‘classical music’ – i.e. orchestral and acoustic chamber music – is still popular and still composed right through to today, and still separate from popular / jazz / avant-garde / folk. I can’t fathom a point where there’s such a break in musical norms that suddenly pop/rock and classical seem similar.

Dave

For me the joke isn’t exactly that they are all ‘classical’ music, just that they are all universally-recognised great composers who are generally seen as being on the same level by future society.

I didn’t think it was a joke at Rimmer’s expense, I thought it was a joke about Lemmy & co. being seen as on a par with those musicians.

Warbodog

I lump it in with the likes of Rimmer owning but not having read Shakespeare and pretending to recognise a Mugs Murphy cartoon as Citizen Kane and admiring its cartoon explosions.

Dax101

Rimmer can’t make his mind up on his opinion on Shakespeare or Jesus.

Ben Paddon

Wilma is Lister’s Waifu.

Fucking Hell.

Seb Patrick

I confess I’ve never really understood why women would be banned from playing the cello.

Warbodog

Hol Rock cellos would have to be made of a transparent material for that joke to work, at least as I understand it.

bloodteller

>I confess I’ve never really understood why women would be banned from playing the cello.

because everyone would see their vaginas

Warbodog

Yeah, their clothes would have to be transparent too.

Dave

I just assumed it was because it would be a particularly ungainly position for a woman to sit in, moreso than for a man. I don’t think it was intended to be any more graphic than that.

Pete Part Three

Oh, here’s a fucking stupid one. I was watching Legion the other day, and I recalled that on my first couple of watches, I completely misunderstood a joke.

I’m going to have to paste the whole thing for context:

—-

RIMMER: Legion: may I be frank? It’s not often we meet an individual who we feel could improve our already pretty damn fine top-notch team. But in you, we feel we have. In all our travels, we have met precisely thirty-one individuals: three one. And we have never felt moved to invite a single one to join our crew. True, most of them wanted in some way to suck out our brains, or erase us from history altogether. Nevertheless, they still weren’t what we would consider The Right Stuff. We feel that you are different. We feel that you, like us, have the courage and the dignity it takes to make it as a Dwarfer.

KRYTEN: Sir! Don’t cross the chopsticks!

LEGION: Mr Rimmer, I am moved by the eloquence of your invitation, but it is quite impossible for me to leave the confines of the institute.

RIMMER: It was Lister, wasn’t it? He put you off.

KRYTEN: Is there nothing we can do to change your mind?

LEGION: Absolutely.

KRYTEN: Then I’m afraid we must bid you farewell. We have a long journey ahead of us.

LEGION: Nonsense. You have no journey at all, my friends. I insist you stay here with me. You will be my honoured guests – from now until the day you die.

RIMMER: Thirty-two.

Right, so; the first few times i watched this, I thought Rimmer was saying “Thirty-two” to indicate the age he’d be when he died (in response to Legion mentioning the day they die) I knew that Rimmer was aged 31 from the novels, and he was dying of embarrassment from being pelted with all the Mamosian cuisine. So, due to the fact that his little speech is over a minute before the pay-off, I’d obviously already forgotten all about the “thirty one” individuals.

Obviously, this is fucking stupid because:

1) The “day you die” doesn’t invite someone to announce the age they’ll be when they die.
    2) Rimmer is already dead.

Go on take the piss out of young me, you shits.

Dave

I love that the human brain can go to such lengths to try and make sense of stuff it doesn’t understand.

International Debris

I always thought that was Rimmer saying the age he died too. It seems so obvious now you explain it…

pi r squared

It’s a nice touch that the thirty-one is emphasised by the reinforcement “three one”. There’s no real reason why you would do that (where you might for, say, thirty which may be confused with thirteen), so it just subtly places the number a little more prominently in your short-term memory, to be paid off quite delightfully by the thirty-two. All jokes are ruined when over-explained, but the construct of that whole gag is so nice that it is worth seeing it broken down.

Ben Saunders

>I confess I’ve never really understood why women would be banned from playing the cello.
    They’d have to open their legs really wide, that’s all I understand about it

Warbodog

Not a joke, but I always found the description of Lister as “the ultimate atheist” unusual. It’s not like he bangs on about it all the time like a Richard Dawkings, isn’t he just a regular atheist?

But it works in the “final” sense of the word, since he’s the last human and the guys he hangs around with all have some form of indoctrination that they go back and forth on (except maybe Holly, but he originally believed in Silicon Heaven in the books).

Warbodog

Plus, he claims to be a pantheist in an earlier episode, suggesting he might believe in a vague something.

Dave

I don’t know if Lister as the ultimate atheist was meant to be a path that the character should have followed but didn’t (and so we didn’t get to see it), like Rimmer being a secret special agent for the space corps.

bloodteller

was re-reading Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers today. despite owning the book for almost 15 years, i’ve only just realised that the sentence “George McIntyre left the Salvador Dali Coffee Lounge of the Mimas Hilton, carrying his nose in a napkin” simply means the Mafia attacked him and he had to hold a napkin up to his nose to stop the bleeding.

from the wording of the sentence i had always thought it meant the Mafia had actually cut off his entire nose with the bolt clippers, and George was just taking his severed nose out with him for some reason.

clem

I’ve always thought they cut his nose off. Otherwise that is very oddly worded. You’d say “holding” rather than “carrying”, surely.

quinn_drummer

Huh … I had always assumed it meant his literal nose too

bloodteller

i guess that one’s open to interpretation then, as it doesn’t seem to be mentioned in any of his other scenes in the book. at least for me though, it seems more sensible that they punched him really hard or jammed the bolt cutters up his nostrils or something. cutting his entire nose off seems a bit cartoon-like, doesn’t it?

Dave

Who nose.

clem

> cutting his entire nose off seems a bit cartoon-like, doesn’t it?

It seems very violent and gruesome, so I’m guessing Rob wrote that bit.

si

Yep. 25 years a nice I first read the books, and it must have taken me about 8 years before I realised that his nose was actually still attached to his face.

si

25 years a nice I first read the books

That’s supposed to be “since”, obviously.

International Debris

Yeah, I always assumed it had been cut off.

Pete Part Three

Um, yeah. Always thought it had been (at least partially) removed by the bolt cutters. And, having just re-read that chapter, I’m sticking with that interpretation, actually.

I’m not sure it’s a big betrayal of the way the novels are written, either. Bound to be Rob.

Pete Part Three

(Incidentally, not sure what damage you could do to a nose with a pair of bolt cutters that wouldn’t involve it being removed)

Plastic Percy

At the very least use them as a blunt object to break his nose. The thugs are articulate enough to make small talk about the traffic and the hotel’s irritating choices of decor and muzak, so they’re probably at least clever enough to use bolt cutters for, y’know, cutting.

clem

I’ve just read it and I still reckon they cut it off. From the way the bolt clippers are mentioned it really seems like the reader’s meant to infer they’re gonna do something really horrible to him, worse than just duffing him up. I wonder how much Doug used to rein in Rob’s penchant for this kind of grisliness when they were writing together.

Hamish

Rob Grant Bolt Cutters

Hamish

Knew I would get something wrong:

Rob Grant Bolt Cutters

Katydid

I’m looking forward to Rob Grant’s Saw reboot.

Ben Saunders

ROB: …And then I think he should run out of the room with his nose in some tissues, holding it to his face with blood pouring out of him like a leaking waterbed before he faints from lack of blood, and wakes up again only to be pissed on by three rabid dogs and eaten alive by maggots.
    DOUG: Have another biscuit, mate.

Seb Patrick

I’ve always interpreted that as them cutting it off, yes.

bloodteller

a joke i never got was in Holoship, Crane tells Rimmer he makes love like a Japanese meal- “small portions, but so many courses”. is this a joke that he has a small penis, or is it about how he’s very quick in bed?considering he only spent twelve minutes with Yvonne McGruder and such, i always thought it was the latter.

bloodteller

Red Dwarf’s penis gags always seem to be the ones that have multiple interpretations, it seems. there’s the age-old debate of exactly what Rimmer saw in Lister’s trousers in Bodyswap etc.

Warbodog

Presumably she was won over by his concise pacing.

Speaking of, I just watched Pete Part Three’s Holoship Xtended edit, but didn’t want to bump that old forum thread with its still surviving dailymotion links. I always wondered what the complete episode would be like (there still might be a few lines lost to time, based on Smeg Ups glimpses), and I prefer it with the flab. Episodes like Holoship and Inquisitor have always felt a bit rapid and distractingly abridged to me, bit that might all be down to those couple of scenes that clearly cut off abruptly between lines.

Dave

I remember a friend of mine at school somehow mishearing the Holoship/Japanese meal line as “you make love like a raw mule”, which changes the meaning considerably.

PFMC84

Or a Japanese mule. Which raises a few more questions

Ben Paddon

I always interpreted that one as “You’ve got a small donger, but you didn’t arf make me come a bunch.”

Ben Saunders

I always interpreted it as Rimmer cumming quickly but going for several rounds.

Dave

I agree with Ben.

Pete Part Three

Um, yeah, I don’t think it’s a reference to the size of his cock. It’s premature ejaculation, but quick recovery to go again.

Warbodog

It’s almost a haiku, if you take out the “but.”

And somewhat more elegant than the later Asian culinary simile, “The last human being alive and he’s got less brains than a macaque recus monkey after the first course of a Vietnamese is this sentence still droning on and there’s an aircraft up ahead isn’t there.”

Seb Patrick

I think you can take the Nirvanah line either way and it’s funny either way, but I definitely took it (given his past form) as over quickly but ready to go again soldier just as quickly.

Plastic Percy

Given the look on his face after she tells him, Rimmer is just as confused over the statement as well.

I always figured it’s a little of column A, a little of column B. He’s hardly Charles Atlas in the trouser department, but he makes up for it with gusto and enthusiasm.

Lily

I’ve always took it as finishing quickly, but being up for it again quickly and repeatedly.

Dave

I always interpreted is as meaning he literally cooks her a Japanese meal instead of having sex with her, and she is describing the meal.

bloodteller

you could be right there, in japan they have a thing called nyotaimori which is where they eat sushi off the body of a naked woman. so perhaps that’s what he did to her

bloodteller

“it’s never been like THAT before…”

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

You can serve it on a nudey lady if you like it rude.

Plastic Percy

Maybe he sellotaped a picture of Sue Carpenter over her face and tucked right in to the sushi. I know I would.

Ben Saunders

Demons & Angels is on Dave right now, and we’ve just been hit with the line “In less time than it takes a Norwegian to buy ski-boots!”

Which is funny because… it… snows a lot in Norway?

Also, Kryten says -he- threw the triplicator in reverse, but I’m pretty sure it was Lister. And I don’t know if the episode itself is rather hastily edited together, or if Dave removed some material because of time/decency restraints.

Ben Saunders

Should be noted that the ski-boots line gets absolutely no audience reaction whatsoever, but is quickly followed by the wonderful Awooga Waltz line, so all is well

Pete Part Three

>Which is funny because… it… snows a lot in Norway?

That is the extent of the joke, yes.

> I don’t know if the episode itself is rather hastily edited together, or if Dave removed some material because of time/decency restraints.

If you watch the DVD Documentary for Series V, Demons and Angels is singled out as being notoriously difficult to make, and they have to do a shedload of pick-ups (with hangovers, it seems) as a result of Juliet May departing.

Ben Saunders

That’s interesting because honestly watching it on Dave there it all felt a bit… shit. The beginning feels pretty rushed, Robert looks bored and some of the camerawork looks shoddy, especially the handheld stuff. It sort of caught me off guard because I’ve watched this episode dozens of times, as recently as a couple of months ago, and none of this ever bothered me before. There was a level of “I’m watching actors on a set” to it that distanced me from it.

Oh well, the poll ranks it as the worst of V so I can’t be alone.

The audience laughing when Red Dwarf blows up is also pretty strange

Ben Saunders

Also it looks like Robert is reading from an idiot board in one shot but i think he’s actually just looking from Lister to Rimmer and back more than is natural and the camera angle makes it look like a typical “Bobby reads a board” performance

Dave

the camera angle makes it look like a typical “Bobby reads a board” performance

Demons and angles

Ben Saunders

I can be your angle or yuor demon

bloodteller

another one i didn’t get- in Emohawk, Duane goes through his list of the supplies he’s prepared for Ace’s plan, finishing with “and one triple-thick condom!…you never know!” is the joke here-

A. that Duane expects he might inexplicably meet and fuck some women in the airlock?

B. a reference to the condom’s thickness- a regular condom might break and wind up getting somebody pregnant, so he’s got a triple-thick one just to make sure?

C. that Duane expects he might seduce Ace and have sex with him?

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

A.

International Debris

He’s not aware that he won’t be leaving the airlock alive, so he’s preparing for wherever his exciting scout mission is taking him.

Pete Part Three

Of course, the Patrick McGoohan style irony here is that the condom belongs to The Cat and he likely takes it everywhere too.

Warbodog

I just figured it had been created out of thin air along with his extra teeth enamel, hair and other belongings that appeared nearby.

As for B, Duane is an excitable virgin, so the thickness will help keep the wolf from the door, so to speak.

Plastic Percy

It’s a bit odd that he manages to find clothing identical to the fictional ones he wore in a hallucination, not to mention that he apparently finds them in the cockpit of Starbug.

I’ve always rationalised that they’re from some of the storage cases and that they belong to Rimmer, the sort of dorky clothes his mother bought for him.

bloodteller

tbh i found it kind of funny how he just suddenly has all these items seemingly out of nowhere. i never really thought about where the sandwiches and parka and such came from, i just put it down to the slightly cartoony feel of Emohawk. maybe Cat has them just in case looking like a total dork becomes fashionable

flanl3

They were sitting in the kitchen in case the crew ran out of food.

Hamish

There were two Emohawks, one of which was more intelligent than the first and impersonated Duane Dibbley for rest of the episode in order to avoid detection. After defeating its rival and freezing Lister, Rimmer, and Kryten, the actual Cat somehow manages to come back to defeat the Duane polymorph and save the day off screen.

Hamish

Either that or there was just one Emohawk that assumed the form of Duane and created the illusion of another polymorph in order to covertly freeze the rest of the crew when they let their guard down. After all, we have no idea if creating a detached extension of itself is beyond an Emohawk’s abilities.

bloodteller

he found the clothes, thermos etc. in the same place the posse found the GELF costumes in Beyond A Joke and the mirror universe machine in Only The Good…maybe the crew just have a crate full of miscellaneous items with them just in case they need them?

this “stuff appearing out of nowhere” discussion reminded me of something- in Dimension Jump, Ace punches Kryten out and then asks Rimmer to reroute his circuitry to get him back online. Rimmer obviously can’t because he’s a hologram and he even mentions this, yet in the next scene Kryten is fully functional again. did he just miraculously spring back to life?

bloodteller

according to Krysis the Universe is sentient and such, so maybe all continuity errors can now be accounted for with “the Universe did it”

quinn_drummer

Maybe Ace isn’t aware Kryten has self repairing nano-bots

bloodteller

CAT- You’re gonna squeeze their rolls? That’s irritating, but in many ways they’ll be quite relieved!!!

i really liked this gag when i first heard it, and my brain always just sort of assosciated it with Baxter wanking the two of them off. but in the “Only The Good…” Dwarfcast somebody explains it as the two of them not caring about their breadrolls in relation to their current predicament. what is it?

Katydid

Oh please, if we do shit Series VIII jokes we’re gonna be here all night.

Pete Part Three

What’s the general consensus on Series VIII?

bloodteller

i think we’ve experienced this period of time before, sirs.

Warbodog

“Squeeze your roll” isn’t a euphemism for wanking where I grew up (Earth), so I assumed the latter.

I just mentally went through all the episode titles to see if there were any obvious puns I’ve never noticed, and realised ‘Epideme’ probably refers to ‘epidemic,’ not some completely random exotic future name.

Piplup2003

>What’s the general consensus on Series VIII?

Despite what everyone else says about it, VIII is probably my second favourite series, after V.

bloodteller

wasn’t that the general consensus on the series back when it first came out? there was a poll and i think VIII came second, just below V.

bloodteller

>“Squeeze your roll” isn’t a euphemism for wanking where I grew up (Earth), so I assumed the latter.

yeah, but if you were a bloke and a woman you liked came up to you and said “can i squeeze your roll?” you’d think ‘oh brilliant, she’s going to wank me off”, right? you wouldn’t think she actually wants to grasp your wheaty breakfast product.

Ben Saunders

Sounds more like giving somebody a massage, to me

bloodteller

either way if someone says that to you, you’re probably in for something rather nice

bloodteller

if you like massages and/or being wanked off, that is.

clem

The rest of Cat’s line after “squeeze their rolls?” isn’t really needed for the joke to work, but I think it works as Cat digging himself a hole, annoying Baxter even more without realising it. Only example I can think of where the VIII thing of over-explaining the gag kind of adds to it.

Maybe if he’d said buns instead of rolls there could have been an extra joke where Baxter thinks Cat is saying he’s gonna squeeze their bum cheeks.

Pete Part Three

It’s a very long time since I saw this, but surely the “joke” is that destroying the roll is symbolising torturing somone, and The Cat takes it *at face value* and thinks destroying a snack is just a very peculiar way of punishing someone.

If you start adding extra euphemisms, it kind of ruins it. Surprising they didn’t, actually,

bloodteller

oh yeah, that makes much more sense.

bloodteller

“are you 21 or under?”

“well my haircut is, does that count?”

eh?

Timewave Part Two

I think that means his haircut is better suited for a 21 year old than a middle aged guy

Ben Saunders

“I’ve given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass”
    What world?

Ben Saunders

Now i think about it where the fuck are they when the Inquisitor inquisits them?

Timewave Part Two

>What world?

Cat thinks the world of himself, therefor, he’s given pleasure to himself with his great ass

Dave

Now i think about it where the fuck are they when the Inquisitor inquisits them?

I always assumed it was some secret Inquisitor-palace in the far future or outside of regular spacetime entirely, equipped with tech to allow him to channel versions of the characters to judge themselves. It’s a bit metaphysical, I know.

Ben Saunders

>He’s given pleasure to himself with his great ass
    TMI.

Ian Symes

G&T Admin

“are you 21 or under?”

“well my haircut is, does that count?”

eh?

I thought it meant that he got his haircut less than 21 years ago, but that seems less likely to be the intended meaning the more I think about it.

bloodteller

maybe his haircut is under 21 inches long?

Ben Saunders

Maybe it’s a new style, or so he thinks?

Lily

I presumed it was because hair is always growing, his hair is younger than 21.

Flap Jack

When Cat says “I’ve given pleasure to the world” he’s using the classical definition of world, “all of known existence”, rather than the modern definition, “planet”.

Ben Saunders

Thank you, i can sleep easy now

Plastic Percy

I took the haircut line is that, if nothing else, his hairstyle is young, fresh and happening.

bloodteller

why in Lemons do they refer to penises as “stuffin’ snuffin’ shiderhausers” (?)

is there some sort of joke there or are you just not allowed to say cock on Dave

NoFro

I think Lister is saying “Stuffin’ stuff up his schneiberhauser” or schneiderhauser or something. Schneiberhauser obviously being a hilarious euphemism for penis. Obviously.

Pete Part Three

When Kryten mutters “Cunt” under his breath in Duct Soup, is he talking about Lister or Kochanski?

bloodteller

LISTER: Our nomination for JMC Crew Of The Year Award is starting to look unlikely…

RIMMER: Those damn space monkey from the Omega 4 are gonna get it again!!

eh? so…3 million years into deep space, the JMC still hosts award ceremonies? what are space monkeys? what the hell are they talking about?

Pete Part Three

I googled deeley boppers after watching Ouroborus the other day. Never been bothered before. The episode is 17 times more amusing to me now.

Taiwan Tony

Nice reference to deeley boppers in Blue Heaven. Eddie Nichols and his novelty cash-in single for the victims of famine “Don’t send food, send…”
    I loved Blue Heaven.

Dave

Blue Heaven was great. I loved the ‘DIED’ anagram gag.

clem

> I loved the ‘DIED’ anagram gag.

Refresh my memory please. I liked it but other than the night club where all the waiters are Frank Carson impersonators I don’t remember much of Blue Heaven. Shane, Frank Skinner’s other sitcom, is really good too. The ‘Do my share/Cher’ joke in that is one of my favourite jokes ever.

si

Blue Heaven’s on All 4.
    http://www.channel4.com/programmes/blue-heaven

Actually, Captain Butler’s on there, too. I won’t provide a link, I respect you too much.

clem

And the episode of Bunch of Fives that served as the pilot for Blue Heaven is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1u4DK1DxMU

bloodteller

Vic and Bob’s “The Weekenders” was on Bunch Of Fives too, wasn’t it? That was a really funny show, I’ll never get why they didn’t pick it up for a full series.

clem

That’s right. Vic and Bob were told they could make a series of The Weekenders as long as they also made another series of Big Night Out, but they didn’t want to do more Big Night Out. Apparently that’s at least partly why they moved to the BBC.

bloodteller

back on the topic of Jokes You Didn’t Get, i was watching Confidence and Paranoia the other day and this particular exchange stuck out to me-

LISTER: I feel really ill…
    RIMMER: You ARE really ill.
    LISTER: No, I mean really ill…

what is Rimmer on about?

Taiwan Tony

The DIED joke was stagehands carrying Eddie’s name in huge letters. They walked in the order D I E D. And Frank asked “Has he not been well?”
    Full of jokes. Shane is full of jokes, too. But the show was very ITV.

Dave

That’s the one. A silly joke but the setup and delivery of it always made me chuckle.

Unrumble

>back on the topic of Jokes You Didn’t Get, i was watching Confidence and Paranoia the other day and this particular exchange stuck out to me-

LISTER: I feel really ill…
    RIMMER: You ARE really ill.
    LISTER: No, I mean really ill…

what is Rimmer on about?

I always took this to be Rimmer offhandedly having a jab at Lister’s generally unhealthy lifestyle. A foreshadowing of the comments he makes in Bodyswap, say.

International Debris

I always heard it as meaning mentally ill, as series 1 Rimmer’s general perspective of Lister being a complete imbecile.

Warbodog

Is ‘Back in the Red’ supposed to be a (thematically irrelevant) riff on being ‘in the red’ with debt? A pun on ‘back from the dead’ (as per the DVD documentary) that’s not close enough to work? Or just a cool way of saying ‘we’re back on Red Dwarf’ with nothing more to it?

Dave

I thought it was a pun on the debt-related phrase, but without any deeper meaning to it.

Taiwan Tony

And the horror that that entails.

Hamish

Makes more sense than Twentica.

bloodteller

I always thought Back In The Red was just a cool and interesting way of saying “we’re back on Red Dwarf”. It never even occurred to me that it might have been a joke title based around the debt-related phrase. That’s ruined it a little tbh, debt isn’t nearly as cool as spaceships

Ben Saunders

They’re literally back in (the) Red (Dwarf), which is also a term to do with debt.
    I didn’t make the connection of a pun title until some advert in like 2008 talked about being in the red.

Dave

This came out a year before series VIII, so the Red Dwarf title just made me think of that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_the_Red_(TV_series)

Toxteth O-Grady

>Makes more sense than Twentica.

I was at one of the pre-screenings of that episode, which was followed by a very brief Q&A. My question was going to be “why the f*** was it called Twentica?”.

I’ve since read that it’s supposed to be a portmanteau of Twenties America, or something. It’s still pretty baffling even with that explanation. Especially as it’s never mentioned in the episode itself.

Sadly, I never got picked. The person who did get picked asked the much more pertinent and interesting question of “What’s your favorite episode of Red Dwarf?”.

quinn_drummer

Sadly, I never got picked. The person who did get picked asked the much more pertinent and interesting question of “What’s your favorite episode of Red Dwarf?”.

Don’t leave us hanging, what was the answer?

Toxteth O-Grady

I think Robert Llewellyn mentioned ‘Lemons’ and I immediately tuned out.

flanl3

Uh oh, not a man with taste, not around here

Jump to top / Jump to 'Recent Replies'

Viewing 254 posts - 1 through 254 (of 254 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.