Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Christmas Telly

Viewing 54 posts - 1 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Jonsmad
    Participant

There isnt a huge amount of things I’ll be watching this year. Obviously The End of Time (and confidential later) is the big show I’m looking forward too today.

I’ll be watching the Catherine tate Nan as scrooge thing, mainly cus the band I follow religiously are on it as carol singers. (Madness) and I think the family will watch “Poirot” as we tend to watch that and enjoy it. Mark Gatis is in this one. Other than that the only things that jumped out at me to watch out for are
    comedy documentarys, serious or not.

Steve Coogan the Inside Story Sunday 9pm
    Not Again: Not the Nine O’Clock News(Documentary) Monday 9pm

What about anyone elese? What are you/have you been watching?

JamesTC
    Participant

‘The End of Time’ + Confidential
    James May’s Toy Stories
    Royle Family
    Some radio documentary on the lost episodes of Who

TheLeen
    Participant

I haven’t been watching any – German telly’s shit and I can’t get Who abd therefore I sulk.

hummingbird
    Participant

Ten’s emo Prince FTW!
    I think Hamlet’s going to be the highlight of my Christmas telly …. yes, I’m looking forward to this even more than Who.

Carlito
    Participant

I’ll watch The Royle Family even though last year’s was shit. Three series and two specials of gold though, up to that point, so I’m pretty willing to give it another chance.

I’ll watch Gavin & Stacey even though it doesn’t seem seasonal in the slightest, think it’s just a regular episode in the series, a curious choice for Christmas Day, but hey. Also, the only soap worth watching for me, EastEnders.

That’s about it. I genuinely wish they’d bring back more Only Fools And Horses. It’s (arguably) the greatest sitcom of our generation (and the generations before us)… they already did the damage by bringing it back after the perfect 1996 finale, so as they’ve already killed the brilliant ending, they’d may as well bring it back for more. Even if it’s not as good as it once was, I still love the characters and even the weak ones have a good few belly laughs.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

The Royle Family (despite being certain that it will be awful) and Doctor Who are the only thing I’ve sky-plussed. We have a no-TV* rule so I won’t get to watch either until tomorrow.

*Except for fucking Coronation Street.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

How old would Damian be if they brought back Fools again?

It occured to me yesterday that the guy from Inbetweeners they’ve cast as Del in Sex & Drugs and Rock ‘n’ Chips could possibly pass for his son in Fools.

ChrisM
    Participant

I’m watching The Hogfather at the moment. I’ve seen it before but I don’t mind as it’s rather good if rather slow paced*. I’ll probably catch a couple of the BBC programmes (Nan’s Christmas Carol in particular) later On Demand.

I watched Doctor Who earlier and have mixed feelings about that, but I might go more into that in the relevant thread. I’ll probably watch it again later as I was preparing Christmas dinner while it was on and might have missed the odd bit.

Oh, and The Colour Of Magic! I haven’t seen that and I missed the earlier showing, so it’ll be the late night repeat.

*Not that that’s a bad thing. I just find this pacing reads better than it watches… if that make sense. An excellent adaptation though.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Was I the only person who didn’t think Victoria Wood was as bad as everyone says? It wasn’t the best thing ever, but there were some good gags throughout. The Freda & Barry thing was fairly toss, though.

Dessie
    Participant

I thought the Royle Family was great. I never stopped laughing through it.

ChrisM
    Participant

>Was I the only person who didn?t think Victoria Wood was as bad as everyone says?

No. I didn’t laugh at a lot of it, but it was… comfortable. The song and dance at the end made me laugh out loud. And the Apprentice gag was brilliant with all it’s extreme silliness.

Andrew
    Participant

> Was I the only person who didn?t think Victoria Wood was as bad as everyone says? It wasn?t the best thing ever, but there were some good gags throughout. The Freda & Barry thing was fairly toss, though.

This is pretty much how I felt. I’d have been happier if it had been half the length – dump Let’s Do It Redux, and the Lark Rise parody and Olympics didn’t need so many installments. But there were laughs there.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I got most joy from watching a documentary about Morecombe & Wise! Until Doctor Who came on, anyway!

John Hoare
    Participant

Really enjoying this week’s Deal or No Deal shows. They put so much effort into the seasonal stuff – the costumes alone are brilliant – and there have been some great games too.

Corrie and Eastenders Xmas day episodes were good fun too. I’d happily follow at least one of them if there weren’t so many episodes a week.

Enjoyed the Comedy Songs docco the other night as well, despite some irritating omissions (no Bonzos or Neil Innes? Really?), and some slightly confused chronology with Vic and Bob.

Carlito
    Participant

EastEnders was good. I don’t watch Doctor Who but caught the first 15 mins or so and it seemed like fun so I’ll probably get to watching the rest of it. Royle Family was better than last year, but they’ve completely lost the naturalistic tone which used to make it such a gem. It’s almost a parody of itself these days. That’s all I really watched.

> How old would Damian be if they brought back Fools again?

I was thinking about that the other day. His screen birth aired in 1991, so assuming the events of the show would occur in real time, he’d be around the 18 or 19 mark. There’s gotta be potential in more Fools, with Del Boy now retired in the older Grandad type role, and Damien as a charming wheeler dealer like his old man (as long as they get the casting right… and the script!). I’d love to see another full series, maybe that would take some of the subliminal pressure off John Sullivan to crowbar every single peripheral character and running gag into every single script, a la the 2001-2003 specials.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Ten minute Tales on Sky One was enjoyable. A love triangle between two moving statues and Bill Nighy written and directed by Neil Gaiman.

Everything else has been mostly rubbish.

Carlito
    Participant

Don’t know why Harry Hill has been bumped from Christmas Day to Boxing Day, but TV Burp is on later… good stuff… could do with a few belly laughs this Christmas.

Just watched last night’s Gavin & Stacey. A few good laughs but not seasonal in the slightest, no idea why they moved its regular scheduling to Christmas Day. Saying that, Royle Family wasn’t exactly appropriate Christmas viewing either.

Andrew
    Participant

I suspect a shuffle of scheduling led to the Gavin and Stacey move – Vic Wood was apparently miffed that she didn’t get the Christmas Day slot she was promised. Though I’d have moved it too, once I saw it. Some laughs, but they’d have lost viewers…

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I thought Victoria Wood had died or domething with all the coverage!! All the crap coverage!!

ChrisM
    Participant

I recently watched Nan’s Christmas Carol on Demand. I liked it. Not sure about having little kids swear, but it was a very funny moment.

Dave
    Participant

I thought:

Most of The Royle Family was great, definitely an improvement on last year, but it felt padded.

Gavin & Stacey was alright.

The Gruffalo looked stunning, but the story was so slight that I struggled to stay awake. Might as well have been Jackanory.

I thought Doctor Who was great, but I’m avoiding the other thread until I’ve seen Part Two.

The only thing I watched on ITV all day was Santa Claus The Movie, which is a bit of a tradition in our house.

ChrisM
    Participant

>The Gruffalo looked stunning, but the story was so slight that I struggled to stay awake.

It was an excellent kid’s tale though. Although the Gruffalo was a complete dunce-breed wasn’t he (but that’s adult logic kicking in there.)?

Tanya Jones
    Participant

I enjoyed the Gruffalo for its simplicity, and yes, it was also stunning. ChrisM, you clearly didn’t grow up on the same council estate as me ;)

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Watching Royle Family. It’s definitely better than last year, but it’s hard to see how it could be worse. A few good lines here and there. But Carl’s right, it’s completely unnaturalistic now. Denise in particular is a ludicrous caricature (it’s hard to believe how anyone could be THAT selfish, and THAT neglectful of her children), even moreso than Jim.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Christmas telly here in the US consisted of a TV network playing “A Christmas Story” on loop all day. Thankfully I dodged that bullet, but while we were at my stepsister’s house for Christmas my stepbrother-in-law had the TV on a network called “Speed” where, in the tradition of the season, they decided to air a Monster Truck rally.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Enjoyed the Comedy Songs docco the other night as well, despite some irritating omissions (no Bonzos or Neil Innes? Really?), and some slightly confused chronology with Vic and Bob.

My favourite bit was where they implied that a Britney Spears parody inspired Smell and Big Night Out.

The slapstick documentary that’s on at the moment is quite annoying. The incessant looping animations!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Watching Royle Family. It?s definitely better than last year, but it?s hard to see how it could be worse.

Bollocks. Haven’t watched the new one yet but found The New Sofa to be a hideously depressing experience. It was like a new writing team had grabbed control of the characters without the slightest understanding of why the show used to be good.

Carlito
    Participant

I don’t know why, because The Queen of Sheba in 2007 was actually rather good. If it was a case of “they’ve lost the magic during the time they weren’t making any” I’d say fair enough, hardly the first time that has happened, but to go from TQOS to The New Sofa in just a year was a shocking decline in quality.

At least this year’s was better.

pfm
    Participant

> Vic Wood was apparently miffed that she didn?t get the Christmas Day slot she was promised. Though I?d have moved it too, once I saw it.

Definitely. The team must have been looking at each other like ‘er…where can we shunt this??’ Victoria Wood thinks she’s better than she is, she’s had so much praise heaped on her over the years. Stuff like Lark Rise parodies are bad enough when they’re passed off as ‘material’ in impressions shows. It’s not possible for it to be funny unless you REALLY rip the piss, which Victoria obviously doesn’t want to do. And I wish she could speak without waving her arms around constantly…

I liked the Royle Family special but only up to a point. It was better than last year’s, felt more like the original show for the most part, but it can never be as genuine as it was in the first two series’. The self-parodying came in with series 3 onwards. The Nana special was good because they obviously put more effort in, the subject meaning a lot to Caroline Aherne. The 2 specials since then have just been made for the sake of it. I hope they do one final special to round it off though.

Carlito
    Participant

I’ve never found Victoria Wood funny. Annoying, trite, boring… obnoxious even, on occasion… but not funny.

I’m in a minority though, so I guess she must be doing something right. I just can’t for the life of me work out what that is.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Watching Royle Family. It?s definitely better than last year, but it?s hard to see how it could be worse.

Bollocks. Haven?t watched the new one yet but found The New Sofa to be a hideously depressing experience. It was like a new writing team had grabbed control of the characters without the slightest understanding of why the show used to be good.

Not sure why you said “Bollocks” there, as you were agreeing with me! The New Sofa was utterly wretched, worst thing on TV last Christmas. Which is why I found it hard to believe that this year’s could be any worse. Thankfully, it wasn’t. Wasn’t amazing, but it was half decent. As was Victoria Wood WHATEVER JOHN AND TANYA MIGHT SAY ON TWITTER.

But no comedy this Christmas has been truly spectacular. Even Screenwipe wasn’t his best (although still contained some terrific one-liners). Hoping Outnumbered turns it around tonight.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Oh, and whatever you thought of this year’s special, if you thought Victoria Wood had no comedic merit prior to this then you’re never allowed to comment on comedy again. Ever. EVER.

Andrew
    Participant

> Victoria Wood thinks she?s better than she is

I think the problem, as is so often the way, is that she thinks she’s as funny was she WAS. Go back 15 years and it’s a huge collection of pretty great material – stand-up, sketches and songs, plus the one ‘sit-com’ series that changed format every week; lots of sharp writing and great performances – but after that…meh. (And I never took to Dinnerladies, which I really expected to like.)

Carlito
    Participant

> But no comedy this Christmas has been truly spectacular

TV Burp was about funniest show I’ve seen, and even that wasn’t anything extra special, just more of the usual (which is perfectly acceptable to me as when referring to TV Burp, “the usual” is brilliant).

Why the hell is Outnumbered on so late? I’ve only seen series 1, perfectly enjoyable show which I would make more effort to watch if I was ever aware of its scheduling, but from what I remember a thoroughly inoffensive, family-suitable comedy. 10.30pm is a senseless time to air it, but hey, thanks for bringing it to my attention. Good ole Sky+…

hummingbird
    Participant

The thing with Victoria Wood is that she’s a very talented writer and she can be very funny indeed, but I’m not convinced that the Christmas special is the best vehicle for her.

And I realise that I may be a minority of one here, but I liked Dinnerladies.

Nick R
    Participant

“The Golden Eggcup” was better than last year’s Royle Family special. Neither of them were awful, but they were nowhere near as good as “The Queen of Sheba” special, which was the perfect example of how a long-absent show can live up to expectations, and was probably my favourite TV programme of 2006.

But no comedy this Christmas has been truly spectacular. Even Screenwipe wasn?t his best (although still contained some terrific one-liners).

Barry Shitpeas’ comments on Noel’s HQ and Nick Griffin’s appearance on Question Time were fantastic. The Peaches Geldof, Michael Jackson S?ance and Gary Glitter programmes were easy targets, but he got some good jokes out of them (“Come on. Come on. Come on, come on…”). And bonus points for ending the show with Modern Warfare 2’s “No Russian” level!

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Actually, yeah, I thought the Barry Shitpeas stuff was all the best material in Screenwipe. The Peaches/Fearne stuff was funny, but would have been just as funny if they’d just shown all the same clips and not even commented on them.

I also liked “Captain Jack, a character about whom you can’t tell what he’s thinking just by looking at him, no matter how hard John Barrowman tries.”

>And I realise that I may be a minority of one here, but I liked Dinnerladies.

You’re not, it’s brilliant. I still maintain that Dinnerladies is what you’d get if you fed Alan Bennett into a sitcom machine.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Not sure why you said ?Bollocks? there, as you were agreeing with me!

Haha. Yes, apologies. I read that back and wondered whether it could be misconstrued. Switch it for “aw shit” and it probably makes more sense.

I never liked dinnerladies, but As Seen on TV was mostly excellent and some of Wood’s stand-up was genuinely very good.

ChrisM
    Participant

I’m looking forward to Day of the Triffids tonight on BBC1 at 9.

pfm
    Participant

Please stop spelling dinnerladies as ‘Dinnerladies’. I know Pete didn’t but…

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Dinnerladies (stylised as dinnerladies) was a British sitcom written, co-produced by and starring Victoria Wood. It ran on BBC One for 16 episodes from 1998 to 2000.”

If you want to get all anal-facepalmy over a fucking stylistic choice then by all means do so.

Dave
    Participant

>Please stop spelling dinnerladies as ?Dinnerladies?. I know Pete didn?t but?

No.

Steve Harris
    Participant

Loved TV Burps, I’ve only recently got into this but it’s great entertaintment.

The NTNN doco was interesting and despite being a big fan (got all the albums and books etc), I was unaware of the differences of opinion towards the end. I also assumed that Chris Langham kind of just drifted away at the time.

We never watch TV on Christmas Day and Boxing day is mostly DVD’s and Wiiing..

I was never a big fan of Victoria Wood and detested anything she did at the piano.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>I also assumed that Chris Langham kind of just drifted away at the time.

I found the amount of time they devoted to that to be a little distasteful. It’s never really been talked about in that much detail before, and I suspect that the amount that he was made out to be the bad guy (which was rather a lot) was made possible by how easy a target he is after what’s happened (not that I’m defending him for what’s happened – just that it’s easy to be nasty about someone in retrospect after they’ve done something utterly reprehensible later on).

I didn’t know that was him as one of the guards in Life of Brian, though.

Interesting that Atkinson was a total git to Pamela Stephenson towards the end, too.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I didn?t know that was him as one of the guards in Life of Brian, though.

He was one of the guys laughing in the “Biggus Dickus” scene wasn’t he?

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Just to make things clear: I have always liked Victoria Wood a great deal, but was genuinely shocked at the drop in quality from her this Christmas. I found the Barry and Frieda stuff particularly self-satisfied, and if there was one thing she never used to be, it was that.

pfm
    Participant

> I found the Barry and Frieda stuff particularly self-satisfied

Yeah, what WAS that all about?? To me it felt like she was saying ‘look, I’ve only made this show to entertain you middle-aged saddos sat at home.’ It was an insult to anyone watching with more than one brain cell (as was the whole hour’s ‘entertainment’ let’s be honest). I thought there was going to be some point to it in the end but…no. The BBC execs must have been shaking their heads on viewing this one!

Pete Part Three
    Participant

To be honest, I found it no more mediocre than her Christmas special from about 10 years ago.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

The original version of “The Ballad of Barry & Freda” (I wish people would stop calling it “Let’s Do It” – that’s NOT the title she always used to introduce it as when playing it live) is terrific, make no mistake. But by gum, that new thing was appalling – “self-satisfied” is exactly the right word.

I thought the Reece Shearsmith sketch was funny, though.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I watched the NTNN documentary yesterday. Interesting stuff. Personally I didn’t feel like they’d been overly harsh to Langham. Certainly they didn’t have a lot of nice things to say besides “He had some experience,” but it didn’t feel particularly cruel or mean-spirited.

Nick R
    Participant

The Steve Coogan documentary was good. Nice to see Vic & Bob in character – having watched Bang Bang It’s Reeves & Mortimer on DVD a few weeks ago (for the first time since it was first shown), I kept half-expecting to hear “We are having fun, aren’t we?” and “Is it giro day?”

I liked 2009 Unwrapped with Miranda Hart last night. Sort of like Time Trumpet (with things like the remixed politicians’ speeches, Piers Morgan interviewing himself, and the endless Jeremy Paxman question) meets Star Stories (because it’s really silly but I couldn’t help but giggle at it). Adam Buxton’s bits bits dragged one joke out a bit too much, though.

Dave
    Participant

I watched Victoria Wood last night, and I did enjoy the Mrs BOverall scenes & Reece Shearsmith’s performance.

That was it.

What a smug waste of time. The midlife Olympics and Cranchesterford stuff was shit and patronising.

My Dad and I saw the end of Unwrapped. He couldn’t quite tell if it was real or not (It’s been a long week), but I really enjoyed it. Adam Buxton’s scenes were as dragged out as the equivalent reality TV sow would be, but yes that accuracy didn’t make it funnier. I watched Son Of Rambow (if you haven’t seen it, do) with the family and when Buxton turned up in Unwrapped my Dad pointd at the screen and shouted “Nose scissors! Nose scissor man!”.

I enjoyed Cranford.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

Oh yes, Reece was fantastic, but I wouldn’t expect anything less. It was nice to see Bernice again ;)

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> . He couldn?t quite tell if it was real or not

That’s Miranda Hart generally isn’t it?

Viewing 54 posts - 1 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.