Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Comparative Studies in MindFuck Metafiction

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mnoooah
    Participant

I mentioned this somewhere else, but this is an interesting comparison Another find-the-writer episode with almost the same comic book shop scene.

Promo:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCcKLoJkhhk&feature=related

Meeting the writer:
    “This is a Misery thing isn’t it? Aw, god, it’s a Misery thing!”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-FE4ARt2Zc&feature=related

The internet:
    Oh, check it out, there’s actually fans… what’s a slash fan? XD
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wz2KWCixtE

hummingbird
    Participant

Can you just imagine the Dwarf boys runing into some slash fic?!

Mnoooah
    Participant

Quite clearly yeah.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Oh, yeah, I’ve heard about that Supernatural episode. The fact that they did that episode actually makes me quite want to watch the show.

Were you asking what slash fans are? Start here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash_fiction

Meanwhile, when it comes to “mindfuck metafiction”, there’s basically nothing better than this :

Mnoooah
    Participant

Oooooooh, Listy I’m not a consumer of slash, but I know what it is, and I admire the writers muchly for that moment.

The Supernatural in general is has a lot of meta moments, See also: the next episode where they discover a lost brother is called ‘jump the shark’ and ‘Monster Movie’, but this episode is not only quite good, but in some ways *very* like BtE and does some things I wish BtE had.

Thanks for posting the comic: “I’m Grant, you coming in?” ha! There’s probably a good article to be got out of this really.

Ilinga
    Participant

Well, we know that Chris at least knows about fanfiction, and slash too. Start watching at about 5:08. :-D

Mnoooah
    Participant

THE POOR MAN. Tell me that wasn’t you!

Phil
    Participant

>Meanwhile, when it comes to ?mindfuck metafiction?, there?s basically nothing better than this

My vote goes to:

Ilinga
    Participant

Hell no, it wasn’t me. I wouldn’t have had the guts to bring it up, or the desire to put him on the spot like that. Still, I thought he handled it quite well and he was bound to find out about it all at some point anyway.

Mnoooah
    Participant

Nicely played sir, looks good indeed. Can we also get a little Paul Auster up in here?

And for the less pretentions, Jasper Fforde!

Mnoooah
    Participant

>or the desire to put him on the spot like that.

it even hurts to watch it on youtube. Sure he may have seen it anyway, but blimy what an intro.

Phil
    Participant

I don’t think anyone’s brought up the final chapter of this Vonnegut masterpiece yet:

Of course, there’s also the WHOLE of Timequake, which is a sorely underrated book (just don’t read it first)…but there’s something awfully painful about Kilgore shouting out, “Make me young!” as Breakfast closes.

Ilinga
    Participant

Yep, a bit of a shock I’m sure. I’ve only ever been to one convention (for Stargate), and while there were obviously a high number of slashers there it wasn’t really a problem as the actors were already aware of it and even played up to it a fair bit. Was quite entertaining really.

Mnoooah
    Participant

AhA yes! In supernatural someone says

“…(something i forget) weird, or Kilgore trout weird?”
    “Kilgore trout.”
    “Aw damn.”

hummingbird
    Participant

Poor Chris – what a way to put him on the spot!

Mnoooah
    Participant

That was not cricket.

Blisschick
    Participant

I saw that vid awhile back and cringed when I heard what she asked. I wanted to climb under the table for him. NO WAY I would have had the guts to ask about something like that.

ChrisM
    Participant

Stephen King’s Dark Tower books ….

(SPOILER ALERT!!! WHOOP! WHOOP!)

… have quite major metafiction elements in the last 3 books. Particularly Song of Susannah and The Dark Tower.

It’s one long story though, so if you plan on reading them, start with The Gunslinger. (Besides the earlier books are great.)

Nick R
    Participant

Charlie Kaufman’s film Adaptation. (I remembered the full stop!) is the king of metafictional headfuckery. It seems to get mentioned less often than Being John Malkovich and Eternal Sunshine, but I like it just as much.

I’ve only read one volume of Alan Moore’s Promethea (though the TPBs have recently been reprinted, which is great news for me). I don’t know if anything in there is similar to what was in “Back to Earth”, but given that said volume contained such messing with the medium as double-page spreads where the dialogue looped round on itself in an infinity symbol, and given that it’s about a superheroine who’s the personification of storytelling and this is Alan Moore we’re talking about…
    …it’s probably a safe bet!

Andrew
    Participant

Stephen King’s Umney’s Last Case, Woody Allen’s The Purple Rose of Cairo, Last Action Hero, Pleasantville (in the opposite direction), that episode of Eerie, Indiana….

Phil
    Participant

I think the League of Gentlemen did a similar thing once, too.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>There?s probably a good article to be got out of this really.

Oh, it’s on the way, believe me.

SkyAndSun
    Participant

The only metafiction I’ve really liked was The Dark Tower series.

Actually, I enjoyed Muriel Spark’s first novel, The Comforters, too.

And Back To Earth.

I tried a Jasper Fford (after reading about him on this site) and found the ideas interesting but the book itself kind of unengaging. Maybe because the characters seemed rather one dimensional.

Mnoooah
    Participant

> Oh, it?s on the way, believe me.

Liiiiiike, season X on the way, or… ;)

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Yeah but Meta-fiction. It’s all bollocks isn’t it?

Mnoooah
    Participant

Actually, Yeah.

Jonsmad
    Participant

The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy Making of, and the Douglas Adams South bank Show special.

Spaceballs The video Casette, Jay and Silent Bob Strike back, Clerks the animated Series, The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy & A cock and Bull story.

Dave
    Participant

Gremlins 2: The New Batch has a meta-section with a beautifully subtle performance from Hulk Hogan

Carlito
    Participant

Hulk Hogan; the most passive wrestler ever. “Well… whatcha gonna do, brutha?”

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Welcome to Wayne’s World 2!

Kevin G
    Participant

Though it’s never been very mindfucky, there’s a longstanding history of metafiction in animation. I’m a honestly a little surprised that Duck Amuck hasn’t come up yet. Also: Chowder is awesome.

TheLeen
    Participant

Chris Wooding’s novel “Poison”.

And an “Iznogoud” comic story where Iznogoud meets his line artist.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.