Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Deliberate Red Dwarf References in Star Trek

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    mick
    Participant

I dare say this has been covered before, but I was flcking through some Star Trek Encyclopedia rescources and was suddenly reminded of these which I had previously read in a book detailing set deccorations:

“The Jupiter Mining Corporation was a mining company that had an office at room 02-842 on the Promenade of Starbase Deep Space 9.”

“Diva Droid Corporation was an company that had an office on Deep Space 9’s Promenade.”

“This was a friendly nod to the BBC science fiction comedy series Red Dwarf”

On the offchance anyone did not know about this I thought I would re-post.

Anyone know of any more?

Dave
    Participant

There’s an early Voyager episode in which they stand around on the bridge talking about a red dwarf star as if it’s exceptional, when in fact they are the most common stars in the sky and you would expect Starfleet to be bored of flying passed them.

Maybe it was a reference shoehorned in?

Andrew
    Participant

I’ve been told there’s a Trek novel that features technicians named Rimmer and Lister. I’ve never seen it confirmed, however.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Then of course there’s the line where Picard says to Data, “Don’t give me that Red Dwarf crap, it’s too early in the morning!”

Phil
    Participant

Don’t forget Worf’s shrinking underpants. They don’t MENTION Red Dwarf but it’s pretty clearly a nod. Especially Worf’s delivery of, “They’re my all time second worst fear, guy!”

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Wasn’t Voyager just one massive Red Dwarf ‘reference’?

mick
    Participant

Pretty much, in the same way Deep Space 9 was a massive Babylon 5 reference.

Dave
    Participant

Pretty much, in the same way Buffy was a massive Hetty Wainthrop Investigates reference

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

The first seventeen episodes of Voyager were all written by Linwood Boomer. Explains a lot.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I did not know that!

Blimey, it all makes so much sense.

John Hoare
    Participant

I did not know that!

That is because it is a BIG LIE.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I am a severe idiot.

Dave
    Participant

Maybe he wrote them under 17 different pseudonyms

Paul Muller
    Participant

I did once read some ‘fan-fiction’ posted in some dingy corner of the internet, which involved a battle between Starbug and the Enterprise.
    Needless to say it was complete and utter unadulterated shit. Apologies if it was any of yours.

John Hoare
    Participant

There’s also this one, which is ABSOLUTELY DIABOLICAL apart from one stage direction:

[Fade back to Enterprise, The Red Dwarf is now fully through the time hole, and
    is making the Enterprise look slightly small.]

Paul Muller
    Participant

“[The doors open and they walk in, Cat is trailing behind. The
    holodeck is still it’s empty black with yellow lines]

Cat: Yeuch.. horrible.

Lister: Why does he say everything is so ugly?

Kryten: His ability to like the look of things has been removed”

I’d hate to lose my ability to like the look of things…

Paul Muller
    Participant
    Nakrophile
    Participant

Why did I read all of that? The best bit was Picard saying “make it so,” which has always filled me with a rush of excitement.

Stephen Abootman
    Participant

That’s one step too far, casting Series VI Rimmer in Discovery.

Dave
    Participant

That’s not fair – yes, he was starting to show his age a bit by then, but I don’t remember any webbed fingers.

tombow
    Participant

The sci fi novel “All the Birds in the Sky” by sci fi blog IO9 editor Charlie Jane Anders has the (present day San Francisco hip software designers) characters “watch a red dwarf marathon”, although there’s no further dialogue as to why they like RD or what they think of it, it’s just name dropped among a bunch of other cool stuff they like. I’ve read it, it’s a pretty good book.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Starbug was in Ready Player One.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.