Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Did you see Back To The Future: Part 2 is a fucking cunt – it just bugs me.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    pfm
    Participant

Every time I watch BTTF 2 it seriously DOES bug me, up until the 1955 part anyway, which I love. The rest of the movie I can take or leave. It doesn’t feel like anything coherent, just a load of mad scenes thrown together that are like a joke compared with the sheer excellence of the first film. The future scenes in particular do my head in. Well they do NOW. When I first saw it at the cinema (I was 7 at the time…) I remember buzzing for ages and ages after and not being able to wait for the third one – the teaser of which still gets me excited.

Crispin Glover not being in the sequels really bugs me too. I always think ‘that’s not Crispin Glover!’ every time the fake George appears. If only he hadn’t fallen out over payment for the sequels, they would have been a lot better with him in them IMO. Especially pt 3 where he obviously would have featured as Seamus McFly instead of Michael J Fox ridiculously playing loads of characters (the split screen scenes were BRILLIANT though, surely beaten only by Dwarf…)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yeah, the stuff in 2015 is pretty annoying. Griff is pure pantomime and not entirely sure Fox needed to be playing his children.

In fairness to Zemeckis and Gale, they never meant to make a sequel when the final scene to BTTF was written. Going to the future was never going to be entirely successful (we’re 7 years away from the “future” and there’s no sign of Hoverboards or more Jaws sequels) and putting Jennifer in the Delorean was obviously an oversight. It’s presumably why they leave the future so early in the film.

The rest of the film is pretty good though and certainly better than the awful 1967-set “Paradox” script would have been.

Crispin Glover was making financial demands, but he was also making requests about having George travelling through time as well. That would have been lame.

I think I missed Claudia Wells more; Elizabeth Shue just wasn’t cute enough.

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

ahh BTTF Part II (gets misty eyed) the first sequel I really got excited about. good story, if you avoid the first part of the 2015 segment, it’s not til Biff goes from weak Gramps back to his old self when he finds out about the Almanac that things get going. the whole alt 1985 is a great twist and the grunge feel of the set works great. when they return to 1955 it’s then that the sequql delivers, with loads of great call backs. overall this is a good part of the trilogy and it doesn’t fail to deliver set pieces, some thing that was lacking in Part III. okay we had the Train at the end, but overall it was more story, like Part I and that’s not a bad thing, but a sequel in most cases is usually more actin packed than any first film. I Agree on Claudia she was 100% better than poor Elizabeth, who didn’t look any thing like Claudia.

ChrisM
    Participant

Back to the Future 2 was great. Sure it was hammy and unrealistic compared to current developments, (and I’m not sure what that was with ‘Future Biff’ coming back to the present future timeline after changing the past… then collapsing) but it doesn’t take itself seriously and as such works fine and is a lot of fun.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>(and I?m not sure what that was with ?Future Biff? coming back to the present future timeline after changing the past? then collapsing)

The idea is that 2015 is slowly changing to the alternate history and he’s being erased from existence (Biff having been, supposedly, shot dead by Lorraine in the 1990’s). Shots of Biff disappearing were deleted from the film.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Wow, monkey – I completely agree with you. Lots of people prefer II to III – I’m not among them. It’s weird, you’d think the relative aesthetics would mean it’d be the other way round – I love sci-fi and crazy time travel, whereas I’m not at all keen on Westerns – but II is a jumbled mess for the first half, while III – although it’s not really much of a BTTF film – is a tremendously entertaining family romp. The train sequence is still genuinely gripping, and brilliantly-shot.

If all of II was like the 1955 stuff, it would be one of the greatest films ever made, though. It’s fantastic, Moffatian time-trickery (heh, I’ve just been reminded of Moffat directly quoting it in “Blink”!). And the cliffhanger is wonderful.

Ahhh, now I want to watch the first film again. I remain steadfast in my belief that there has never, ever been a better all-ages crowd-pleasing blockbuster. It’s an absolutely perfect film in every respect and by every conceivable criterion by which you could judge it.

>I think I missed Claudia Wells more; Elizabeth Shue just wasn?t cute enough.

Without wishing to sound too shallow, this is sadly true.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

In fact, I am totally putting on Part II now.

Also :

Also :

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Both awesome videos.

Phil
    Participant

II has its moments, but without a doubt is far inferior to the first one. (Though I feel it important to echo the sentiment that if the whole film maintained the quality of the 1955 segments, it’d be phenomenal.)

That said, III is almost painful. I don’t buy the love story and I’m genuinely not interested in anything happening in or around Hill Valley at that point in time. The only two characters there we care about are Doc and Marty. Doc is perfectly happy and all Marty wants to do is leave. That’s it. That’s the conflict. It’s an hour and a half of Get Marty Home!

Yeah, there’s some painted-in Western stuff too. Huzzah.

I realize that a lot of people dislike III because it’s too talky, or there’s too much story and not enough action. Well, I dislike it because the story just isn’t very good. I love story. One of my favorite novels is about a day in the life of a man who walks around Dublin lost in his own thoughts. It’s nothing BUT story. But y’know what? It’s good story. And it’s well-written. III just…isn’t. I can’t put my finger on why, except to say that it never really gets me to care about anything that’s happening.

The first film had an almost perfect mix of heart and whimsy. Part II is, yeah, not nearly as strong, but it’s still got plenty going for it, and despite the fact that it wasn’t planned, it really DOES manage to feel like it’s fleshing out the franchise and answering questions that we didn’t even realize were asked. (That’s a real achievement.) But III is almost too self-contained. It can’t rely on the quality of its more popular brothers to carry it through. It’s too much of a capsule and there isn’t much there that’s rewarding.

(Seamus McFly, however, is a really good character. I wouldn’t want much more of him in the film than we have, but what we do have is pretty great.)

Phil
    Participant

Also, the time-traveling hovertrain can gag on each of my testicles in turn.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster
    Pete Part Three
    Participant

>That said, III is almost painful.

Wha…? Nooo! Both of the sequels are inferior to BTTF, but so is every other film, to be frank.

>Doc is perfectly happy and all Marty wants to do is leave.

Doc may be perfectly happy but he’s in danger of being killed by Bufford Tannen.

>It?s too much of a capsule and there isn?t much there that?s rewarding.

Personally, I like the symmetry that Marty teaches his father how to fight in Part I, but in Part III it’s up to his Great Great Grandfather to teach Marty how to walk away from a fight.

As a consequence of this, we learn that Marty and Jennifer’s future wont be quite a disastrous as what we were shown in Part II.

>One of my favorite novels is about a day in the life of a man who walks around Dublin lost in his own thoughts.

Do tell.

Phil
    Participant

>Doc may be perfectly happy but he?s in danger of being killed by Bufford Tannen.

Well, yeah, but that’s some of the “Western stuff painted in” that I referred to. And by the end of the film that danger is removed. There’s no real tension over whether or not he makes it into the car with Marty…we already know he’d be happy if he stayed behind.

>I like the symmetry that Marty teaches his father how to fight in Part I, but in Part III it?s up to his Great Great Grandfather to teach Marty how to walk away from a fight.

I do love the Seamus stuff, and it’s a good lesson for Marty to learn. Hadn’t considered the symmetry before, but you’re right…it’s there. Probably still not enough to change my opinion of the film, but I’m not opposed to finding value in it.

>As a consequence of this, we learn that Marty and Jennifer?s future wont be quite a disastrous as what we were shown in Part II.

It’s true, there are a few payoffs for the whole franchise in this film…but not nearly as many as in the other two. It feels so…alone.

>Do tell.

Ulysses by James Joyce.

pfm
    Participant

> Personally, I like the symmetry that Marty teaches his father how to fight in Part I, but in Part III it?s up to his Great Great Grandfather to teach Marty how to walk away from a fight.

That’s why it would have been so much better if Crispin Glover had been in the role. It still works well though, but they probably would have done more with that storyline if Crispin was in it. It’s funny, and yet pretty stupid, how Lea Thompson plays Maggie McFly when as Lorraine she’s from a totally different family! Stuff like this and Michael J Fox playing loads of characters makes it hard for you to take the sequels seriously, but I suppose you’re not meant to. The fact that they were shot back-to-back probably added to the haphazard nature of much of ptII and how both sequels lack a certain something.

Probably my favourite scenes are the 1955 ones at the start of BTTF III. I love Doc freaking out and them blasting out the DeLorean, buried for 70 years and yet still in pretty good nick! ‘No wonder this circuit failed, it says Made In Japan!’ ‘Shot in the back by Buford Tannen over a matter of 80 dollars?? What kind of a future do you call that???’ You’ve got to laugh at how easily Doc looks at his own future after all the fuss he makes in the first movie about not knowing your own destiny.

> It seems not only did Marty avert his own crap destiny, but he also stopped us getting flying cars, Hoverboards and Jaws sequels when he didn?t crash into the Rolls Royce.

That’s probably the excuse they’d use if they ever did a fourth one. Not that they’re going to, of course. Sadly I think it’s yet another classic that will get a ‘reimagining’ several years down the line. If it was done now I would say Jim Carrey for Doc Brown and…(…)…Shia…LaBeouf as Marty!! But it would be SHIT because the original is, well, so original, and still absolutely amazing. It would be even more pointless than the Psycho shot-by-shot remake.

Andrew
    Participant

> Going to the future was never going to be entirely successful (we?re 7 years away from the ?future? and there?s no sign of Hoverboards or more Jaws sequels)

Not sure this rule holds true, given that 1984 and Blade Runner are superb…

Otherwise, though, I’m with Pete – part three bests part two for many reasons.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Probably my favourite scenes are the 1955 ones at the start of BTTF III.

In addition to the stuff you mention, I like the way the Doc reacts to Marty. “It’s a very entertaining story, Future Boy…” It helps to demonstrate the difference between the wilder, more bonkers Doc of the ’50s, and the older, wiser, more measured ’80s version…

cliff
    Participant

I think most 80’s films look hammy by todays standards but i think they did well on bttf2 all the stuff with the almanac and jumping back and forth dodging their ‘other selves’ was true BTTF gold, the ending was very well thought out…the guy with the letter for marty, who must have been on his way to deliver it before doc was struck by lightning was a master stroke!.
    I do agree about the ‘Crispin Glover’ thing, i believe a sequel is always weakened when you replace main characters for example marty’s girlfriend who was replaced by elizabeth shue if i remember right didn’t work for me.

All being said i can’t have a go at BTTF as i’m a child of the 80’s and i feel like i’m commiting some kind of offence.

Cliff.

cliff
    Participant

> It seems not only did Marty avert his own crap destiny, but he also stopped us getting flying cars, Hoverboards and Jaws sequels when he didn?t crash into the Rolls Royce.

…Flying cars were in 2015, Marty changed the future for himself but that was 1985 when he didn’t crash his roller!!!?.. so for all we know he didn’t avert future technology..

Jesus!, we need to get out more…..analyzing BTTF like it’s a feckin documentary….almost as bad a the psychologists they get to look over the Big Brother freaks!.

Cliff.

cliff
    Participant

……i think were leaving out the most important unanswered question……?

How the smeg did Doc Brown manage to build another time machine out of a train in 1885 when just his refrigerator filled his barn!.

…..just a thought.

Cliff.

Andrew
    Participant

> I think most 80?s films look hammy by todays standards

Cliff, meet Chris M. Chris M, this is Cliff.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>How the smeg did Doc Brown manage to build another time machine out of a train in 1885 when just his refrigerator filled his barn!.

He didn’t necessarily have to. I mean, okay, as far as the film’s own logic goes you’re not meant to question it – but by that point logic had gone out of the window anyway. But there’s nothing to say he didn’t manage to cobble together a rudimentary time machine in 1885 (he is a genius, after all – and by this point one who’s spent many years travelling in time, so he’s probably got a much better understanding of how it works) once he, presumably, got bored of being stuck in one place. Once he’d got to the future and been able to get the right materials, he could then have constructed a bigger, better machine out of an old train – and the line at the end is already meant to suggest that it’s being from the future that has allowed him to make the thing fly.

All conjecture, of course – and like I say, you’re not *really* meant to think of it that much – but I bet there are plenty of theories as to just how he managed to travel in time again. I even started to try and concoct one that revolved around somehow getting a note to one of his future selves (or Marty) to come back and get him, but it started to make my head hurt ;-)

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>I saw part of an 83 film with Tom Cruise in his teen years last night. The one where he turns his house into a brothel?. NOT one of the good ones, although it was amusing in places.)

Risky Business.

ChrisM
    Participant

> I think most 80?s films look hammy by todays standards

Cliff, meet Chris M. Chris M, this is Cliff.

Howdy doody!

He is right though, a lot of 80s films do indeed look quite hammy nowadays…. (not all of them mind…..

…but I do actually rather like them! Come to think of it a lot of my favorite films come from that time period. Probably due to growing up with them etc.

(I saw part of an 83 film with Tom Cruise in his teen years last night. The one where he turns his house into a brothel…. NOT one of the good ones, although it was amusing in places.)

Not to pull the teeth from an old horse with dodgy dental hygiene, but it was mainly the time period before that my critique (Ark at me, I’m talkin’ French!) was concerned with. As in, the further back you go, the more prevalent that metaphorical ham and cheese. (Granted that’s a large swathe of time.)

I did admit my experience was pretty limited and I was willing to check some other stuff out and reassess my viewpoint… but that bit gets skipped over…

ChrisM
    Participant

>I saw part of an 83 film with Tom Cruise in his teen years last night. The one where he turns his house into a brothel?. NOT one of the good ones, although it was amusing in places.)

Risky Business.

That’s the one!

Good name in hindsight.

Cute girl though.

Andrew
    Participant

> NOT one of the good ones

Wrong.

cliff
    Participant

Anyone see ‘Manequin’?, now thats one great 80’s hammy movie!…

…it don’t beat ‘Footloose’ though, i was always confused as to how all the kids in that film who’d had dancing outlawed all their lives could dance like pro’s….ahh well, you don’t question these issues where Kevin Bacon is involved do ya?….

ChrisM
    Participant

> NOT one of the good ones

Wrong.

Oh, it was well enough put together, don’t get me wrong. (And it was fairly entertaining.) Just not quite my cup of tea. The ‘not’ should’ve probably been lower-case.

;)

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Anyone else like the Tremors series? The original is great fun..and the straight-to-video sequels are surprisingly amusing.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

I loved the first film. I quite enjoyed the sequel. but I haven’t watched the rest though.

ChrisM
    Participant

I quite liked the first too. Thought it was a bit silly when they started flying.

(That did happen right? OR was it walk about… my memory is vague…)

hummingbird
    Participant

I’ve only ever seen the first one. It was a lot of fun.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Yep, they flew in the 3rd one. 4th one is a prequel set in the Wild West. They’re all daft fun.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

(That did happen right? OR was it walk about? my memory is vague?)

“Was there a Graboid that could fly, or did I dream it?”

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Just to puuuuuuuull right back onto BTTF, have another vid. This is a song called “Lorraine”, by one of my favourite bands, Ozma. You can probably guess what it’s about – even moreso given that someone’s thoughtfully made a video for it…

We still party like it’s 1955…

Anonymous
    Inactive

deleted

Dave
    Participant

>deleted

Charmer.

locusceruleus
    Participant

Ah, get off yourself. It’s a great trilogy. Cheesy, hokey, but great entertainment. Some stuff just doesn’t lend itself to analysis, and BTTF is one of ’em.

Tanya Jones
    Participant

That ‘Lorraine’ song is great. Thanks, Seb!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.