Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Doctor Who and the Lack of Fatal Spoilers

Viewing 71 posts - 1 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Right, so this thread (also known as “The Ian Symes Memorial Thread”) is for talking about Doctor Who – “classic” series or new – but without spoilers. Our rule here is that if it’s been broadcast, OR it’s been in official publicity (e.g. BBC website, Radio Times), then you can discuss it here. Anything else, and you need to take it to the other thread.

Just before we shut down the old thread, Phil1034 was asking :

Just curious anyone going to ‘Novelcon’ at The Lass O’Gowrie in Manchester on Sunday?

http://www.kasterborous.com/news.asp?ac=8&id=2898

hummingbird
    Participant

> also known as ?The Ian Symes Memorial Thread?

Ian Symes is dead?

JamesTC
    Participant

>Ian Symes is dead?

He died peacefully in his jeep.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Not like everyone else in the car who were shouting and screaming for dear life.

si
    Participant

Because Ian says it’s okay.

Dave
    Participant

I hate it

JamesTC
    Participant

‘Planet of the Daleks’ episode 3 in colour = brilliant.

Jo
    Participant

si / Tue, 2009-10-06 08:43 / #

Because Ian says it?s okay.

What the fuck is that monstrosity?

DO NOT WANT!

Tarka Dal
    Participant

It’s very ruthless and to the point, it’s also very retro. No bells and whistles at all. Is that a sign of the Moffat reign to come? Hope so.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

It?s very ruthless and to the point, it?s also very retro.

I have to agree with Karl here, it does have that ‘old-school’ look about it, and from what i’ve seen of the photos and such it does look as if they’re aiming for a more nostalgic look to Doctor Who…

I’m not liking the DW Tardis thingy, it’s not completely terrible. But I hope that THAT picture we’ve got there is not the logo, seems too crowded. I do agree with the idea of using it for book spines and the DVDs and such stuff though, that would work well.

I have to point out that these are not the opinions of a die hard fan, more of a casual outsider, peering in every now and then seeing what’s buzzing around. I’m not a massive fan of Doctor Who, I don’t hate it but I know that i’d just get sucked in if I did start watching it properly…

Somebody
    Participant

Given that it has no fewer than two lens flares (and a couple of other spotlights that don’t quite flare out in the static version, but may do so when animated), I’m not sure you can call it entirely bells & whistles-free.

It DOES make me wonder about the Moffat-era theme tune though. Presuming they keep some variation of the traditional theme, there IS a lot of room to strip things back, even if they don’t exactly take it back to the very base.

Nick R
    Participant

SFX has an alternative version with “the logo” and “the insignia” combined together.

I like it.

ChrisM
    Participant

Den of Geek have done a video compilation of the previous logos. Obviously we can find them easily enough but it’s nice for comparative purposes.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

>Den of Geek have done a video compilation of the previous logos

Or, rather, DoG have posted someone else’s compilation ;-)

Anyway, I had speculated about the possibility of the text being done on one line in some form, so this is unsurprising. Looks nice, too. I like the idea of the elements being able to be combined in different ways – but I still hope the “main” logo is the text-on-top-of-one-another variant.

I can sort of imagine the insignia swooping into the text in the title sequence, though…

The insignia will spin into view then unravel into the title.

Phil1034
    Participant

What are people’s favourite logos of old? Personally I’ve always been rather fond of McCoy’s. Yeah I said it.

hummingbird
    Participant

Tom Baker’s.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Get out.

Dave
    Participant

>Personally I?ve always been rather fond of McCoy?s. Yeah I said it.

Me too, I think it gets an unnecessarily bad rap. I don’t like the Season 18 to 23 ‘neon’ one.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

McCoy’s logo is far too 80s for my liking. Personally I like the Pertwee/McGann logo rather a lot.

JamesTC
    Participant

Pertwee and McGann for me, simple but effective. Though I like both the 80s ones too.

Phil1034
    Participant

See I don’t think of McCoy’s logo as 80s, rather 90s. To me whenever I see it I always think of the New Adventures novels first. Always thought it was weird how long Virgin held on to it, while most BBC products used the coloured-in diamond- very inconsistent branding.

> very inconsistent branding.

You are Alan Partridge.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I like the McCoy one, too. And yeah, I don’t think it’s very “80s”. The neon tubing one is far more so.

Dave
    Participant

I’ve seen it referred to as the Kellogg’s logo, although quite accurate isn’t meant to be complimentary.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

McCoy’s logo is an abomination.

Dave
    Participant

The Special Weapons Dalek is an abomination.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

What’s more, the Abomination is insane.

si
    Participant

I liked McCoy’s logo, because he was my Doctor (I was 8-10 years old when he was on), and that’s what I remember.

JamesTC
    Participant

>The Special Weapons Dalek is an abomination.

No.

Dave
    Participant

>No.

I’ll rephrase:

The Special Weapons Dalek is the Abomination.

JamesTC
    Participant

Barry Letts, the producer of Who from 1970-1975 and 1981 who also cast the Third and Fourth Doctor sadly passed away.
    Doctor Who has lost one of the most influential men in the show’s 46 year history, he will be missed dearly.

RIP Barry.

si
    Participant

Aaww. RIP.

Squeaky Gibson
    Participant

very sad news, I hope the do a dedication to him at the end of ‘The Water of Mars’, that would be nice touch.

Phil1034
    Participant

We all raised a glass for Barry Letts at Novelcon and Paul Magrs read from his Third Doctor Novel.

Also just one of many interesting facts I discovered today: Paul Cornell doesn’t think Moff ripped off Benny when creating River Song, beyond their profession he fails to see the comparison.

JamesTC
    Participant

Anyone watched the latest SJA? Jolly good fun I thought, a great improvement on the last series (which was a great imnprovement on the previous which I switched after the Slitheen episode). I especially liked the Judoon staying within the speed limit and then pulling a gun on the guy playing loud music.

si
    Participant

Recorded it. I always forget it’s on, so I’ll watch it when I’ve recorded them all.

JamesTC
    Participant

Or you could watch it on Iplayer.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Or at a pinch, we could watch it on iPlayer.

si
    Participant

Ah, but I like to *own* them. But I don’t want to buy them.

JamesTC
    Participant

Well SJA are very cheap, about ?13 for the set. Saying that I still don’t own either series.
    I am considering buying the complete set of Torchwood though, the big boxset is going for as little as ?40 which is pretty good for 13 or 14 discs.

JamesTC
    Participant

Was that the Zodin getting a mention in SJA from today, as in the terrible Zodin mentioned by the Brig, the Second Doctor, Peri and the Sixth Doctor but never seen?

JamesTC
    Participant

That episode of SJA that aired today was just bloody brilliant, never thought SJA could be that well written and entertaining.

si
    Participant

Not watched it yet, although I now have two full two-episode stories, something I’ve never acheived so far with SJA. I’ll just about forget next week, when it really matters.

Dave
    Participant

We gave up on this just when I thought we’d need it the most.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

It’s because everyone but Ian actually WANTS spoilers.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

It’s also because you spazzes are posting all the actual non-spoilery discussion in the spoiler thread.

JamesTC
    Participant

If you read the spoiler topic then what is the point in this one?

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

There doesn’t seem to be much point at the moment, you’re right. I think we should have more clearly defined what exactly should have been kept out of this thread – things like the title of the Christmas special are fine; they’ve been officially announced and so we’re supposed to know them at this stage. It’s only things that the production don’t want me to know that I object to seeing in advance – paparazzi pics and snatches of overheard dialogue and the like. Not that I haven’t seen almost of these anyway.

Dave
    Participant

Tarka Dal
    Participant
    JamesTC
    Participant

I watch it anyway. It was funnier than usual. Not a very good Who quiz though, you’d think they would have a question on spectrox toxemia, you know, make it a little harder.

hummingbird
    Participant

Bernard Cribbins was a joy. Loved Catherine Tate too – is she really that ditsy or was it all an act?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

FUCKIN’ FINALLY

Also :

I LOVE TOYS.

ChrisM
    Participant

>Loved Catherine Tate too – is she really that ditsy or was it all an act?

In most of the interviews I’ve seen she is like that. I quite like her too. I can understand people’s dislike of her show due to the repetitive nature* with the catch-phrases, but….[whisper mode]I quite liked that too.[/whisper mode]

Ok, put down the bazookoids, I’m backing out of the room…

*One person’s running gag is anothers lazy writing, etc. I don’t mind running gags, as long as they don’t run tooo looooong. And I think she did overdo it, despite my liking the show overall. Gran’s a great character.

Andrew
    Participant

Tate was great in Who, and in Big Train. Absolution is easily granted.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Doctor Who stuff is so hard to find in the US. Even harder when you’re broke.

hummingbird
    Participant

> Gran?s a great character.

Yeah, I love her characters, and her performances in general, but I’m not a huge fan of her show.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> Tate was great in Who, and in Big Train. Absolution is easily granted.

Some Who. Some of it’s she’s awful. Admittedly a lot of that could be down to the writing.

Re-watched the last four episodes of series four over the last two days whilst laid up with flu. The Stolen Earth / Journey’s End is marvellous isn’t it? Utterly bonkers, but so in it’s approach to just throwing everything including the kitchen sink into that finale.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=the_score_to_beat_doctor

Is anybody else surprised by this list? I’d expect the Xmas Specials to be near the top, but at the other end I’m genuinely suprised to see several of my favourite episodes in the bottom 10. Silence of the Library the least watched of all time? Does anyone know what it was up against that weekend?

Michael Warren
    Participant

^It was up against the final of Britain’s Got Talent.

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2008/06/silence-in-library-final-ratings.html

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Thank you Michael.

Dave
    Participant

I’ve just re-watched Planet Of The Dead, out of its initial Easter-Saturday-BTE-expectation-context and it isn’t nearly as bad as I remembered.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

> I?ve just re-watched Planet Of The Dead, out of its initial Easter-Saturday-BTE-expectation-context and it isn?t nearly as bad as I remembered.

Funny, that, because I watched the last ten minutes on Friday night and if anything it was worse than I remembered. By any TV standards, it’s complete horseshit.

Dave
    Participant

>Funny, that, because I watched the last ten minutes on Friday night and if anything it was worse than I remembered. By any TV standards, it?s complete horseshit.

I remembered it as much much worse.

ChrisM
    Participant

> it?s complete horseshit.

A delicacy to the fly people apparently. ;)

Phil1034
    Participant

> By any TV standards, it?s complete horseshit.

I disagree, yet I can’t seem to articulate why. I just liked it.

pfm
    Participant

> horseshit.

This.

> The Stolen Earth / Journey?s End is marvellous isn?t it?

Marvellous shit, maybe. On broadcast I though ‘great, this is much better than Last of the Time Lords’ and YES it is, but it’s still godawful, with a few exceptions. I hate the adventures-of-Martha parts, hate anything involving Jackie and Mickey, hate hate hate the alt-Doctor/Rose ending, hate the wank that’s spurting from the screen. Though you’ve got to love Catherine Tate’s performance and Donna’s fate. Davros is pretty good but we need him back for another more sinister round IMO(…). Daleks OK. The rest just…bah. Turn Left was bloody brilliant though.

Btw there’s one bit that I hate more than anything and I don’t know why, it’s when they’re being marched through the ship and Sarah Jane’s line ‘one step closer to the Doctor’.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Everything bad in Stolen Earth/Journey’s End is justified/excused by the moment Davros spots Sarah Jane and recognises her.

(or indeed by every moment Davros is onscreen. But especially that one. For my money, still the absolute best the new series has done at bringing back an old villain. Bleach is terrifyingly brilliant at combining both Wisher and Molloy’s performances)

Dave
    Participant
    Pete Part Three
    Participant

*claps*

Viewing 71 posts - 1 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.