Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum DVD recommendations

Viewing 78 posts - 1 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    hummingbird
    Participant

I thought maybe you lovely people could recommend some goodies for me to watch over Xmas. Something that I may have overlooked or never even heard of. I usually enjoy sci-fi, arthouse drama, clever dark/psychological thrillers, dystopian, black comedy, little independent movies.

Any suggestions?

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Eternal Sunshine.

TheLeen
    Participant

The Fountain

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Fight Club

p2p_productions
    Participant

Yeah, Eternal Sunshine, for sure! Also, 12 Monkeys, Fargo, Tube Tales…

Chungking Express is pretty good if you can find it.

hummingbird
    Participant

> Eternal Sunshine

Tsk. You know I’m allergic to Jim Carrey.

> The Fountain

Aronofsky, so it looks worth checking out. Plus it has Huge Ackman, so we has eye candy at the very least.

Sorry, I meant Hugh Jackman. Freudian slip, there.

> Fight Club.

I find it entertaining, but it always feels as if they’re trying just a little too hard. Especially Brad ‘look-at-me-I’m-acting’ Pitt.

> 12 Monkeys, Fargo, Tube Tales? Chungking Express

I have them all apart from Tube Tales. I’ve just Wiki-ed it (is that a word?) and it looks interesting.
    Chungking Express is a great movie.

Andrew
    Participant

Toto The Hero. A Very Long Engagement. Pan’s Labyrinth. Dead Ringers. Breaking and Entering. Oldboy. Ginger Snaps. Boogie Nights. Good Night and Good Luck.

I could go on. And on.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

War Games is always a winner

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Pan?s Labyrinth.

i love this film.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

^Have you seen The Orphanage. Another fantastic Guillermo del Toro movie.

p2p_productions
    Participant

>I have them all apart from Tube Tales. I?ve just Wiki-ed it (is that a word?) and it looks interesting.

Yeah, if memory serves, Tube Tales was one of Sky Pictures early (/only?) efforts. In short – utterly bombed, but I’ve always had a soft spot for it. Great for Xmas, IMO. That and Ghostwatch, I guess. :)

And yes, Chungking Express is Ace.

Dave
    Participant

The Armando Iannucci Shows

Carlito
    Participant

Defo Eternal Sunshine. Office Space. Wedding Singer. Love, Honour and Obey. Comedian. Go. The Wrestler. Final Cut.

Maybe something more well-known? Ghostbusters? Oooh, My Cousin Vinny. Awesome!

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

sci-fi, arthouse drama, clever dark/psychological thrillers, dystopian…

Try Back To The Future II. There’s a bit where Hill Valley’s all wrong and evil. As good as Blade Runner in my opinion :)

redhead85
    Participant

Personally I love the following:

The Big Nothing (Simon Pegg/David Schwimmer, small film, fantastic thriller), Freeze Frame (really good low budget thriller with Lee Evans – no seriously, it works), Kidulthood, anything by Studio Ghibli, In the Mood for Love (Hong Kong love story)….

Phil1034
    Participant

> Good Night and Good Luck.

I adore this movie.

TheLeen
    Participant

>> Eternal Sunshine

> Tsk. You know I?m allergic to Jim Carrey.

Watch it anyway.

> Tsk. You know I?m allergic to Jim Carrey.

Brilliant performance as Scrooge in A Christmas Carol. Dodgy accents for the spirits though! But I reckon it added to the charm. Did anyone see it in 3D. Bet you almost soiled yourself in a couple of places! The chains flying towards the screen. IMO the best Marley scene in any adaptation and the best coda. Is Carrey the best Scroooge? No, but he’s close to the top. Alastair Sim will never be beaten, it seems. His performance remains the definitive Scrooge.

Andrew
    Participant

>>> Eternal Sunshine

>> Tsk. You know I?m allergic to Jim Carrey.

> Watch it anyway.

It’s not Carrey in Eternal Sunshine. It’s some other actor. I don’t know his name, and he sure looks like Carrey, but it can’t be him – he’s entirely too good, too credible, too sympathetic to be this Carrey fellow.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>It?s not Carrey in Eternal Sunshine. It?s some other actor. I don?t know his name, and he sure looks like Carrey, but it can?t be him – he?s entirely too good, too credible, too sympathetic to be this Carrey fellow.

Yeah, I think the same guy was in The Truman Show.

TheLeen
    Participant

Not really.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

No, the same guy was in The Truman Show AND Man On The Moon.

But seriously, he’s completely un-Carreyish in Eternal Sunshine, and not liking his comedic work is a daft reason to miss out on the best film of the 2000s. Seriously.

Dessie
    Participant

Highlander, best film ever made.

Carlito
    Participant

He’s rather un-Carrey-like in The Number 23 too, which I completely enjoyed even though I seem to be in the minority on that one.

Dessie
    Participant

I thought the number 23 was quite good. Carrey was the best thing about it. The plot got a bit silly at the end.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

I thought The Number 23 was a pile of wank and I find it hard to respect anyone who doesn’t like The Truman Show.

Danny Stephenson
    Keymaster

Man On The Moon.

One of those films, I didn’t think i’d like. But really, really did by the end.

Carlito
    Participant

Who said they didn’t like The Truman Show?

Carrey should have won an Oscar for Truman and Eternal. That’s two Oscars he’s been fucked over for.

Let’s see… bit of online research ongoing here…

Truman was released June 98… which if I am correct would have made it eligible for the 1999 Academy Awards… Best Actor went to Kevin Spacey for American Beauty. Hmm, I guess I can see that. But then, it’s a great film but is Spacey really that amazing in it? It’s been a while since I saw it, but doesn’t he just play a really stoic guy… as per usual? Okay, well that IS a good film, but Carrey isn’t even nominated here! Russel Crowe?? Really? Who is Richard Farnsworth? Right…

Ah shit, I’ve got the wrong year anyway. Apologies for this stream of consciousness post, by the way. Okay, so Roberto Benigni won for Life Is Beautiful. I haven’t seen it, but I bet I’d enjoy it less than The Truman Show… again, Carrey not even nominated! Even Ed Harris gets a nomination for Best Supporting Actor! He’s barely in the damn film!

Okay, it was a big year for movies, with Shakespeare In Love (boring!), Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line up for awards… but Truman Show doesn’t even get a best film nomination? What’s going on here, people??

Let’s try Eternal Sunshine then… it doesn’t get a nomination for Best Picture, even though The Aviator does. Bullshit. Again, Carrey not even fucking nominated. Pathetic. Winslet gets a nomination. Good; this must be her best role. She doesn’t win, Hilary Swank does. Quelle surprise, this is the Oscars after all.

Man, Carrey has been fucked up the arse royally on this playing field.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Yeah, the point about Carrey is that he doesn’t even get nominated, but for at least three films that’s the very least he should have got. Kate Winslet got a nom for Eternal Sunshine – she was good, but it’s shameful that she got it ahead of him…

Truman is his defining role, though. It’s not just that he’s brilliant – it’s that contextually, at the time, he was perfectly cast. But there is nothing about that film that isn’t perfect.

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

Getting Eternal Sunshine confused with that one about the little girl entering the beauty pageant/talent show thing-a-me-bob! Kept thinking Jim Carrey?!!

Andrew
    Participant

I’m gonna go ahead and say it: Carrey’s only average in The Truman Show. Nothing remotely nomination-worthy in that performance, nothing exceptional whatsoever. The film’s good, and he doesn’t harm it, but I see no greatness there.

> But there is nothing about that film that isn?t perfect.

I have a very lengthy counter argument to this involving problematc dramatic structure which hinders emtional engagement. But if you love it, you love it. But much as I like it, I’d can’t see it’s even close to being flawless.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

Hey, share the points if you want to, I’d be interested to see what you’ve got.

As for his performance, though, there are just moments throughout that mark it out. The way he plays the pre-realisation Truman is perfect – overly obvious and happy and cheesy, but it needs to be – but there’s something subtle about the way he shifts as he starts to piece things together. And there are two scenes in particular that always jump out – the one where he’s on the bridge with Marlon, and the very end. Tell me there’s not something utterly brilliant about his matter-of-fact final delivery of “In case I don’t see ya…”

Andrew
    Participant

There’s nothng utterly brilliant about…oh, y’know.

More when I’m not posting from the iPhone!

Phil
    Participant

Truman Show was excellent for what it was, with the right type of acting for what it was. It was essentially a feature-length version of a Twilight Zone episode, but it was one of the better Twilight Zone episodes…even if they felt compelled to give us an ending that fits Hollywood-Happiness better than Rod Serling ever wanted to.

Still though…good movie.

I was immensely disappointed by Eternal Sunshine. It was a brilliant concept in search of a much better story. And I might be the only person left alive who doesn’t think that Jim Carrey is a very good actor when he tries to be, but…oh well. I’ve tried.

I like him in The Truman Show because it has enough going for it that I only rarely have to notice him. And I liked him in Man on the Moon because my admiration for Andy Kaufman makes up for the few times that he slips and accidentally reminds us that he’s Jim Carrey.

Overall though…eh. I can live without him.

Ridley
    Participant

Survive Style 5+
    Infernal Affairs
    House of Flying Daggers
    Hero
    Kung Fu Hustle
    Battle Royale (1)

(The Forbidden Kingdom. Kung Fu Panda. Stardust.)

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Let the Right One In.

Saw it at the cinema not long after this year’s Oscar season (and after seeing most of the big, hyped nominees). Better than all of them and indeed anything else that’s come out this year.

Carlito
    Participant

> Let the Right One In.

When did they make Psirens: The Movie?

redhead85
    Participant

> House of Flying Daggers, Hero, Kung Fu Hustle, Battle Royale (1)

Hell yes. This. Excellent collection of films. Kung Fu Hustle never fails to raise a laugh. Battle Royale is genius (originally based on a manga methinks?)

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

Anyone who doesn’t like Comedy Carrey doesn’t even deserve comedy.

I enjoyed Dark City once, and to be fair I’ve only seen it once :)

Dave
    Participant

So that’s Hummingbird’s Christmas List sorted.

Jo
    Participant

A couple of suggestions – Leon, The Dish. Both are awesome in very different ways :o)

TheLeen
    Participant

Not quite yet, because I have to add “Sneakers”.

Jo
    Participant

WIN!

Gwynnie
    Participant

I’m looking at my DVD collection in sad realisation that I own nothing that you probably haven’t already seen… apart from perhaps “They Live!” – it’s a John Carpenter film, and is a bit dystopian I guess, a little bit David Icke… plus “Rowdy” Roddy Piper plays the lead – what can possibly go wrong?

JamesTC
    Participant

-I?m looking at my DVD collection in sad realisation that I own nothing that you probably haven?t already seen? apart from perhaps ?They Live!?

I have it on DVD, I don’t have sunglasses though.

Andrew
    Participant

> ?They Live!?

Best stupidly long alley fight in cinema history!

Movie utterly ripped off for the long-ago computer game Flashback. Along with Total Recall and Terminator 2…

ChrisM
    Participant

They Live! I’ve got that!

A great premise with a helping of cheese that was very enjoyable.

And some classic lines that make me smile.

“I came here to chew gum and kick ass and I’m all out of gum.”

“Life’s a bitch and now she’s in heat.” Dear me.

And Meg Foster has very strange but interesting eyes.

Carlito
    Participant

“Rowdy” Roddy Piper, maybe the best verbaliser in wrestling history, certainly one of the best heels (bad guys)… now that guy shoulda made it in Hollywood. instead he shows up in about 5 TV movies a year and comes back to wrestling on occasion looking like shit. Sad.

People thought he was gonna be a big star off the back of They Live. Didn’t happen.

Another guy who shoulda made it in Hollywood from the wrestling business is Jesse Ventura. I guess becoming Governor isn’t a bad second prize, though.

Gwynnie
    Participant

Hahah, yes, it’s a beautifully bad film. And the alley fight has to last about half an hour!!… go watch it!

ori-STUDFARM
    Participant

I’d watch “They Live” ………but I’d be thinking about “Hell Comes To Frog Town”!!!

Jonsmad
    Participant

Memento. Cypher. Outland.

hummingbird
    Participant

Sorry, I kind of switched off as soon as I heard the words ‘Jim Carrey’.
    What were we talking about, again?

JamesTC
    Participant

What about Westworld, bloody good film that, the end scared the shit out of me as a kid. I should get that on DVD actually.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

I’m not who you think I am. I’m the King of Siam. I’ve got a bald head, my name is Yul Brynner, and I am a famous movie star. Perhaps you saw me in Westworld. I acted like a robotic cowboy. It was my best role, I cannot deny I felt right home deep inside that electronic carcass.

hummingbird
    Participant

Seb’s never been mistaken for Yul Brynner, he’s not bald and his head doesn’t glimmer.

p2p_productions
    Participant

This might be worth picking up on DVD in a few years time…

mick
    Participant

redhead85
    Participant

‘Die Well Hard’. I’d buy it.

redhead85
    Participant

‘Die Well Hard’. I’d buy it.

redhead85
    Participant

I thought I’d buy it so much it was worth mentioning twice

p2p_productions
    Participant

Can’t believe they’re seriously looking to make a word-for-word remake with Kay in the lead. Hope it happens, though. Could be fantastic. :)

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I bloody hate Peter Kay.

But I’d watch it.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Can?t believe they?re seriously looking to make a word-for-word remake with Kay in the lead. Hope it happens, though. Could be fantastic. :)

Surely Peter Kay wouldn’t trot out an unoriginal, minimum-effort, insubstantial cash-in, based on someone else’s work and not his own, just to make money? Oh.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Who remembers grey dog poo?

si
    Participant

>DVD recommendations

Hyperdrive.

p2p_productions
    Participant

>Surely Peter Kay wouldn?t trot out an unoriginal, minimum-effort, insubstantial cash-in, based on someone else?s work and not his own, just to make money? Oh.

But of course, all movies are there to make money. If when released, one happens to make the world a better place, or achieve anything other than recouping its budget – that’s generally considered a bonus to investors. I mean, Kay makes money – hence Fox’s apparent willingness to allow him to ‘remake’ a longstanding action/comedy franchise, singlehanded. As long as it isn’t just ninety minutes of him, Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman jogging on a treadmill to the tune of ‘Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow’, this could potentially be worth watching… He seems sincere about doing a good job with it, at least.

Also coming soon… Jackass 3D!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=61311

si
    Participant

You want a DVD recommendation? Rob Brydon’s ‘Director’s Commentary’, because it’s fucking marvellous. Hidden away, late night, ITV it was, but brilliant all the same.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

But of course, all movies are there to make money.

From a studio’s point of view, maybe. But if that’s the creator’s motivation, then the creator is a cunt.

Seb Patrick
    Keymaster

You want a DVD recommendation? Rob Brydon?s ?Director?s Commentary?, because it?s fucking marvellous. Hidden away, late night, ITV it was, but brilliant all the same.

No it wasn’t. A single joke stretched out over a series, and one which Adam Buxton had already done much better in single-sketch chunks.

p2p_productions
    Participant

>From a studio?s point of view, maybe. But if that?s the creator?s motivation, then the creator is a cunt.

Someone once suggested this is where the biggest difference between films and movies collide. It’s just a shift of emphasis where art and money are concerned. Sad I know, but one could argue, entirely necessary for future (and past) big budget classics. Saying that, Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity might argue differently…

Carlito
    Participant

Director’s Commentary is brilliant.

hummingbird
    Participant

> ninety minutes of him, Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman jogging on a treadmill to the tune of ?Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow?

I’d pay good money to see that

p2p_productions
    Participant

>I?d pay good money to see that

Actually… it could make for an interesting end credits sequence. ;)

I showed Comet Quest to a friend of mine and he said it was rubbish, but that’s okay because he’s wrong. Has anyone here seen it? The kids’ film about Mark Twain flying in this erm…well, flying machine looking for this comet. I loved it as a kid but maybe that’s why I love it now. I need a subjective opinion*! But yeah I recommend this film if only for the creepy scene with Satan creating his own world, based on that Twain tale about, erm, well the same thing round about. I forgot the name of it though! I’m so helpful, I know.

*Objective opinions will be acceptable if they are positive :)

>I showed Comet Quest to a friend of mine and he said it was rubbish, but that?s okay because he?s wrong. Has anyone here seen it? The kids? film about Mark Twain flying in this erm?well, flying machine looking for this comet.

Round my neck of the continental United States, it’s called The Adventures of Mark Twain and yes, it is quite fun kids’ fare, despite scenes like this. Or possibly because of them. I was a rather strange child.

>…that Twain tale about, erm, well the same thing round about. I forgot the name of it though!

As the clip I posted should tell you, it’s called The Mysterious Stranger. From what I recall reading of it, it’s either a book or damn close in length to one (I read it in a Twain omnibus edition, and didn’t finish it), and while it’s broadly similar to the clip in the themes it deals with, stylistically they’re terribly different.

peas_and_corn
    Participant

What about Red Dwarf? It has a Vampire!

si
    Participant

You want a DVD recommendation? Rob Brydon?s ?Director?s Commentary?, because it?s fucking marvellous. Hidden away, late night, ITV it was, but brilliant all the same.

No it wasn?t. A single joke stretched out over a series, and one which Adam Buxton had already done much better in single-sketch chunks.

I won’t lie. You’ve hurt me, Sebastian.

Director?s Commentary is brilliant.

Thank you Carl.

Viewing 78 posts - 1 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.