Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Elementary

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Ben Kirkham
    Participant

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUJeWvpat-M

Hmm. Not sure what to think. Sherlock Holmes is a tricky thing. As Steven Moffat has said, nobody really owns Sherlock Holmes, and Moffat and Gatiss cannot stop it being made. I suppose their main concern is whether it’ll be “an all-new take on Sherlock Holmes” (which would add to the hundreds of others) or “Sherlock USA” (which would be a bit more problematic)…

Pecospete666
    Participant

It’s a good show!

Well I don’t know about you, but I’m convinced.

Ridley
    Participant

Elementary is its own thing and being set in the modern day is about all it shares with BBC Sherlock. I don’t know the Conan Doyle stories well but it seems like you could switch out Holmes and Watson’s names in Elementary and it would make little difference to the show.

It’s not awful anyway.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

I actually enjoyed the leaked pilot, despite its flaws. Haven’t watched the rest of the show as it’s not on Hulu, so I’ll have to wait for it to appear on Netflix in a few months.

Ben Kirkham
    Participant

“Elementary is its own thing and being set in the modern day is about all it shares with BBC Sherlock. I don’t know the Conan Doyle stories well but it seems like you could switch out Holmes and Watson’s names in Elementary and it would make little difference to the show.
    It’s not awful anyway.”

That’s good to hear. Jonny Lee Miller is certainly an excellent actor, so no one can really complain about the casting. The trailer just didn’t fire me up. But I’ll definitely give it a try. Lucy Liu as a female Watson is such a new twist, it may actually work…

HelloMabel
    Participant

> Jonny Lee Miller is certainly an excellent actor, so no one can really complain about the casting.

I respect both his and Lu’s acting skills, but in the episodes I saw, I missed any sort of chemistry between them. This comes with two caveats:

a. I was definitely influenced by reading Ben’s review of the pilot before watching it – in which he also commented on the lack of chemistry – and

b. I stopped watching after episode 2. Though I’ve learned (on this site, actually) not to judge a show based on the first few episodes because it takes time to get going, I’m usually so exhausted after watching the show that’s on before it that I just leave the TV on long enough to watch the Rube Goldberg machine (I’m a sucker for those) and then go to bed.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

We all know that the definitive adaptation of Sherlock Holmes is the animated ‘Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century’.

Sherlock Holmes is revived and returned to his youth by the constabulary of New London in order to help them capture a clone of Professor Moriarty. The culture shocked Holmes is joined by the sassy, ass-kicking Inspector Beth Lestrade – a descendant of the original Lestrade – and her robot, who after reading the journals of the late Dr. Watson, takes on the name, mannerisms, personality and even face of Holmes’ former assistant.

Pecospete666
    Participant

“We all know that the definitive adaptation of Sherlock Holmes is the animated ‘Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century’.”

That was a good show!

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Maaaaaaaavellous.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.