Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Examples of Corpsing

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

Every once in a while I notice one of the cast trying not to laugh in a particular scene. For example, BITR Part 3, when Rimmer is confronted by the Captain after coming out of AR. Chris is noticeably trying to disguise a smirk whilst Hollister is jumping up and down with rage. I’m pretty sure there are a couple of moments in Backwards as well of the cast trying not to laugh (i.e. when Arthur Smith confronts them). Are there any other examples of this taking place?

Taiwan Tony
    Participant

Hugh Laurie does it during Flashheart’s “Get into her five times a day” joke in Private Plane.

At the beginning of Confidence and Paranoia I believe, when Cat is claiming everything in the corridors for himself and stumbles upon Lister on the floor, you can see Craig smiling.

Plastic Percy
    Participant

When Cat drops Lister’s brain pattern into his cup of coffee in ‘Bodyswap’ you can see Craig start to smile.

Warbodog
    Participant

“I’ve seen West Side Story, that’s based on one” in Marooned.

“You are rebelling?/What are you rebelling against?” It looks like Chris is trying to hide a smile amid the calm rage.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

Marooned, a couple of times. I think Craig corpses on “I could give you fifteen”, but it could be intentional given that he is doing a joke in-universe. I’ve always found it a bit unnatural how characters in sitcoms don’t laugh at the jokes.

Ben Saunders
    Participant

I think Chris is corpsing a little on “Big?! It’s like two badly parked Volkswagens” but I’d need to watch it again

bloodteller
    Blocked

>Marooned, a couple of times. I think Crlaig corpses on “I could give you fifteen”, but it could be intentional given that he is doing a joke in-universe. I’ve always found it a bit unnatural how characters in sitcoms don’t laugh at the jokes.

They do laugh at their own jokes sometimes in Red Dwarf- off the top of my head, in Me2, Lister and Cat laugh at “Souper!”.

Also they inexplicably all chuckle at the end of Back To Earth when Rimmer mentions that the people in the other reality would laugh at the idea that they’re the fictitious ones, which is just weird because it’s not really much of a joke.

Dave
    Participant

“You’ll bonk anything” in Polymorph. There’s a definite hint of a smile there.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

>Hugh Laurie does it during Flashheart’s “Get into her five times a day” joke in Private Plane.

I think Tony Robinson does it during Christmas Carol when Rowan Atkinson says “Er, secure the ornaments, Mr Baldrick” and puts on a pair of earmuffs before Milicent arrives. The smile on Tony Robinson’s face is far too knowing for Baldrick.

Can’t think of any other Red Dwarf examples right now.

I’ve always found it a bit unnatural how characters in sitcoms don’t laugh at the jokes.

At the end of Bodyswap when Rimmer pretends he lost one of Lister’s arms

Dave
    Participant

Definitely that Baldrick moment in Christmas Carol.

We’ve been rewatching Yes Minister recently and there’s a fair bit of it in that too. I think it’s usually a sign of good chemistry between actors when they’re making each other laugh as much as the audience.

The three dead crew in Kryten, the three headed guy in DNA, the dude on the side of the road in Tikka, all of the crew of the Samsara and the guy with a knife in his back in Give and Take.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Yes, yes. Very good.

I’ve always found it a bit unnatural how characters in sitcoms don’t laugh at the jokes.

One thing I love about Men Behaving Badly. So many of the one liners and daft stories are in-universe jokes, which adds another layer of humour and makes the whole thing much more believable.

bloodteller
    Blocked

i’m pretty sure the scene in Skipper where Lister, Cat and Kryten point at each other and repeat “quite bright!” is corpsing, they look like they’re struggling not to laugh towards the end of it

Jawscvmcdia
    Blocked

The scene with Rimmer corpsing:

Image2<br />can you delete a spotify account<br />

Ben Saunders
    Participant

<br />can you delete a spotify account<br />

Stephen R. Fletcher
    Participant

When Ross is playing the bagpipes at the end of The One With Joey’s New Brain, you can see Jennifer Aniston looking at camera smiling and then covering her face as the scene goes on. Classic Red Dwarf.

clem
    Participant

If you look very closely you can just about see some of the artistes beginning to crack up in this clip: https://youtu.be/RfUno7f1gqY

Warbodog
    Participant

More laid-back 70s. Prop falls over off-screen to the amusement of cast and audience, but we’ll just carry on and seamlessly fix it in the edit: https://youtu.be/xVV7hfbYOsg?t=1m18s

Supplemental/compulsory: https://youtu.be/VTK_AMbwNjs?t=2m46s

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.