Home Forums Ganymede & Titan Forum Help dress the set for the next season of The IT Crowd (from BoingBoing)

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    TheLeen
    Participant

“Graham Linehan just delivered the season three scripts for The IT Crowd, the hilarious, ultra-geeky Channel 4 sitcom about sysadmins. He’s shaved the script-delivery a little close and is looking for your help in coming up with set-dressing ideas:”

Help dress the set for the next season of The IT Crowd

Thought you people might’ve fun doing that…

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

How about an 18 inch wobbly pink dildo?

Phil
    Participant

I’m pretty sure John’s willing to donate a wall of jizz.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

As long as it’s not a supporting wall. Jizz does not good masonry make.

Jonathan Capps
    Keymaster

I think a large inflatable banana would be good, and it’d add some colour.

Zombie Jim Undead
    Participant

Can’t we stick some gayly-coloured data tapes in the background too?

Ben Paddon
    Participant

The email address they provide is apparently a dead end. Tried it twice yesterday.

Ben Paddon
    Participant

Wait, no, they’ve updated it. Yay!

pfm
    Participant

Cool. Do you realise how many fucking threads exist on here now? Well, it’s a lot…

Anyway, did anyone see the IT Crowd segment on the mostly mediocre-to-crap (aside from Eddie Izzard and Alan Carr) Secret Policeman’s Ball? I thought it was great. If you didn’t see it, the gist was that Roy somehow wandered onto the stage and had a conversation with Moss who was shouting over the tannoy (sorry, public address system…) backstage while watching the show on a TV. It was written by Graham Linehan and I thought Chris O’Dowd and Richard Ayoade did a fantastic job getting it right.

hummingbird
    Participant

That was a great moment in a very weak show.
    But my favourite bit had to be this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFpPRcBeinI

John Hoare
    Participant

Link to The IT Crowd section:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1siI408EE

Just about to watch it myself!

TheLeen
    Participant

Thanks for the link! Lovely!

Phil
    Participant

I’m sure it works much better in the context of the whole program (which I’ll watch at some point). It was funny, but I guess I expected a sketch rather than a humorous mic check.

Actually, I have no idea what I mean by that. It WAS a sketch. It just…maybe didn’t feel like one.

Again, I’m sure it works great in context. I’ll have to check it out later.

pfm
    Participant

Check your brain out as well.

Ooh, that sounded a bit like a flame, didn’t it?

Phil
    Participant

Ooh, you cheeky monkey!

Carlito
    Participant

Maybe some DVDs of Father Ted and Big Train… or even series 1 of Black Books… hopefully Linehan will watch them during breaks in filming and remember when he used to be REALLY funny.

As I typed the word “really” in upper-case, it means I MUST be right.

See?

John Hoare
    Participant

Honestly, I’ve laughed far more at The IT Crowd than either S1 of Black Books or Big Train. (I do actually like Black Books, but most of Big Train leaves me cold. That latter opinion won’t win me friends with ANYONE round here, though!)

The Work Outing – the first episode of the second series of The IT Crowd – is about as good an episode of sitcom as I’ve ever seen. It’s certainly one of the funniest. The whole last half of the show has me in agony nearly every time I watch it… in a good way.

Phil
    Participant

>I?ve laughed far more at The IT Crowd than […] S1 of Black Books

Agreed. Heartily.

But don’t worry, neandercarl. Something like 80% of people around here would probably side with you. I mean, they’re all wrong obviously. But still.

ChrisM
    Participant

The Work Outing – the first episode of the second series of The IT Crowd – is about as good an episode of sitcom as I?ve ever seen. It?s certainly one of the funniest. The whole last half of the show has me in agony nearly every time I watch it? in a good way.

I agree, that’s probably the funnies episode I’ve seen. Overall I think I prefer series 1 to series 2, but out of specific episodes, that one’s got to be at the top.

Pete Part Three
    Participant

This is the funniest bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLZzn1H14NM

Phil
    Participant

crazyboyxx (2 months ago) Reply
    ruined by the laugh track

djahlkjshalksjhdkad

Pete Part Three
    Participant

Well, at least he didn’t say “canned”.

John Hoare
    Participant

I saw that episode for the first time in ages yesterday – it’s definitely my least-watched episode.

Still think it has massive flaws, but I enjoyed it a lot more this time round, I must admit. Part of that is that I’ve *finally* got a handle on Douglas… because he finally clicked with me during a recording of S3 I went to the other week.

hummingbird
    Participant

>I?ve laughed far more at The IT Crowd than either S1 of Black Books or Big Train.

Ah … lovely, lovely Black Books. I must be in the minority here.

I enjoy IT Crowd, but not to the same extent.
    Most of the time I just didn’t get Big Train.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

I enjoy the IT crowd, but I wouldn’t put it > S1 of Black Books. The first series of Coupling was out around the same time and I can remember being thinking how amazing it was that after Ted we finally had not just one, but two flippin’ great sitcoms. I think both lost there way a bit, but the first series of both are probably my favourite comedies of the last ten years. Oh and Darkplace obviously.

Phil
    Participant

> lovely, lovely Black Books. I must be in the minority here.

I want to stress that I DO really like Black Books! I also don’t think the quality took a plunge in series two, which I think would lead most people to classify me as mentally ill.

I just think I might prefer the IT Crowd so far.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Series II no, Series III yes.

John Hoare
    Participant

When I watched the whole lot recently, I felt the quality dipped sharply in 2 – although it was still well worth watching.

I actually enjoyed 3 more – but I wonder whether that’s because my expectations were lower!

I wonder if Linehan will actually talk about why he left the show at some point…

TheLeen
    Participant

Black Books:

series 1 > 3 > 2

Overall:

IT Crowd = Ted > Black Books > Coupling

Haven’t seen Big Train yet.

hummingbird
    Participant

but (IT Crowd)exp(Big Train) / (Black Books)^(Ted) –> 0

John Hoare
    Participant

If we’re going Linehan/Mathews stuff:

Ted > IT Crowd > Hippies > Black Books > Big Train

Would love to see Paris

Rad
    Participant

I would still rate Black Books Series 1 ahead of IT Crowd. In my opinion, Black Books probably has the most successful opening episode of a sitcom ever. Not only that but its probably the best episode of the entire show. The Little Book of Calm stuff, the character set-ups, it’s very well put together. Also, Bernard Black was a classic character from the beginning which doesn’t happen very often.

The IT Crowd, I’m still not sure about. It’s a shame because when Graham Linehan really pays attention to story structure he really comes up with the goods like Series 2 Episode 1. But most of the time its never really satisfying enough.

Phil
    Participant

(IT Crowd)exp(Big Train) / (Black Books)^(Ted) ?> 0

Phil
    Participant

Damn, hummingbird beat me to it.

Ian Symes
    Keymaster

Ted > > > Big Train 1 > Black Books > Hippies > Big Train 2 > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

The IT Crowd

Phil
    Participant

I definitely agree that Ted should be waaaaaay out in front.

And regarding Black Blooks, I’m afraid I have to agree with Karl. The quality dip comes in series three. I’ve tried so hard to like 3 as much as the others but…I don’t know. With a few exceptions, those episodes don’t really seem to fit together as well. I think it’s obvious that we’re seeing a show “coming apart” at the end.

It’s not BAD…and it’s by no means unwatchable…but it’s a significant drop, I’d say.

Tarka Dal
    Participant

> I?m afraid I have to agree with Karl.

Charming.

pfm
    Participant

Ted > The IT Crowd > Big Train > Black Books > Ian Symes’s Face

Phil
    Participant

>Charming.

:-*

Tarka Dal
    Participant

Black Books S3 > Ian Symes’ Face.

pfm
    Participant

iTeam – Die Jungs an der Maus, Das > Ian Symes’ Face

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know which Harry Enfield sketches Graham and Arthur wrote? It’s something that’s been bugging me for a while, even though it’s probably so damned obvious I need a slap for not realising.

John Hoare
    Participant

They wrote the Camp Jockeys and the one-episode tempramental Hollywood star sketches. I think a list of some of the other stuff they did is in the Harry Enfield and Chums book – although as I’m moving at the moment, it’ll be a while before I can find it!

Viewing 42 posts - 1 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.